The Pinky: an open-source DIY injector style thermal extraction device

shopdognyc

@LSDzhd I used parts I mostly already had

This is the Amazon listing where most of us in the US purchased

the part or similar can probably be searched from the description.

Other than that a screen for the top and bottom. There is suggestion to take a basket to flatten, but I've had success just creating a cup and pushing down.

@Improvaper tip on getting the coil on:

push down onto a grippy surface, and turn the coil away from itself like trying to open it. Slides right on and off.

Here we go pinky with eds injector bowl on an oconnell inception jhook

Last edited:

Dubmonkey

Built one of these this week after seeing @Secreagent post. Ran down to local welding supply shop snagged two nozzles for under $3.25 total. Went to head shop snagged some glass 4mm balls. Slap everything together at home and fitted a 16mm barrel coil on pinky. Got a set 655 on a AugustHaus dual zone controller.

So far had two full sessions and here are my pros and cons:
-without coil handle overall set up is light weight
-easy to handle and move around compared to say a GS
-airflow on intake is free flowing {no need to make straw sucking face}
-can be used with existing bowls and even regular combustion slides
-can stop mid bowl unlike others where you need to heat the bowl ala SV6.
-precise control over heat and airflow since able to lift and apply the heat as needed.

=looking for stand solution so nozzle/coil hangs off the edge of a stand Or props up nozzle like a tri-stand.
=concerned about the pinky material for daily or long term use.
=need to always hold the heater when in use as no way securely for the nozzle to stay on the bowls I have such as the Elev8r bowls, NV Ti and glass bowls. Maybe need to try my GS bowls.

hit wise I say it is up there in heavy hitter land of GS and SV. Will try some comparison testing over the next week.

good job @Secreagent !

Hippie

This style of stand is cheap or easily copied for a DiY solution
or you could use an old ashtray, a cup, a bowl, a spoon rest ...

Mine sits well in an 18mm female joint so I've been using the Herborizer bowl as a stand and been prefering the 18mm reducer adapter bowl

madhockeydad

Art is beauty
I find it more funny ,how many Ball guys benefited from the Inverzion and the Glass Symphony threads and not a single one of them makes even a honorary mention of the dudes ... It appears people are so busy cashing on other people ideas,they dont even find the time to give credit owed. As for professional reviewers/promoters ,they all start good ,but somewhere down the line their credibility gets chipped away by their financial interest, just like the VC.

I'm all in for people extending a good idea. I do wish the innovators would get some credit and a bit of the financial reward too. I love the ball vapes - quite honestly it's a very simple idea and to those that brought it forward - KUDOs. Increase the mass that's heated and of course it will increase the efficiency of heat transfer. I can't wait to see what Inverzion does with the 1.7!

DRAG-0n

any chance the auber rdk 200 with 20mm coil would work well for this setup, trying to see how low i can get the whole setup going for, auber rdk 200 comes with coil setup for $110 which isnt bad at all. Any huge difference between it and any other pid controller or the RDK-300 worth more for this type of setup? Trying to stay away from alibaba as well because shipping is a pita

Last edited:

David Root

I brought home a #7cup, you folks are using an 8 which is 1/2" ID. It fit most bowls.
I took the 18mm end of my Shovel head bowl and it did not fit near as many as pinkie OR my nub on the B1.

I am looking for a controller and Enail.

David

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
any chance the auber rdk 200 with 20mm coil would work well for this setup
I don't see why it wouldn't. I have two RDK-200's and they are quite solid. I actually chose them over the RDK-300 since I have no need for the auto-shutoff feature and that's really the only difference between them that I can tell. Well, the boxes are different and the 300 looks nicer but not worth the extra $ for me. :2c:

:peace:

shopdognyc

any chance the auber rdk 200 with 20mm coil would work well for this setup, trying to see how low i can get the whole setup going for, auber rdk 200 comes with coil setup for $110 which isnt bad at all. Any huge difference between it and any other pid controller or the RDK-300 worth more for this type of setup? Trying to stay away from alibaba as well because shipping is a pita
I don't see why not. You need a 20mm coil to fit around the ceramic bowl. That is it. Don't think the pid/controller is going to matter here. With a different controller you have to do some trial and error. I started at 600 and happy about 550 with my budget High Five controller.

@David Root

for that shovelhead you need a 16mm coil. Similar in idea, but that part is thinner than the Pinky bowl. For your #7, not sure what coil would work with that. Someone here might say use a strap wrench to tighten your 20mm coil around that #7, or return that and get a #8.

shopdognyc,
Reactions: DRAG-0n

DRAG-0n

I don't see why not. You need a 20mm coil to fit around the ceramic bowl. That is it. Don't think the pid/controller is going to matter here. With a different controller you have to do some trial and error. I started at 600 and happy about 550 with my budget High Five controller.

@David Root

for that shovelhead you need a 16mm coil. Similar in idea, but that part is thinner than the Pinky bowl. For your #7, not sure what coil would work with that. Someone here might say use a strap wrench to tighten your 20mm coil around that #7, or return that and get a #8.
Cool, think i may go with the fancier discountenail,com one then as the replacement coil is cheaper, parts come monday and cant wait to get a more reliable vape then my 16 year old noname box (great but such uneven heating) and modpod si to a big boy vape.
Gotta mess around with some different 18 and/or 14mm joints and bowls to see what works the best with this rig.
Still learning from yall here on these hard hitting vapes, hope u having a nice combustion free night

shopdognyc

Cool, think i may go with the fancier discountenail,com one then as the replacement coil is cheaper, parts come monday and cant wait to get a more reliable vape then my 16 year old noname box (great but such uneven heating) and modpod si to a big boy vape.
Gotta mess around with some different 18 and/or 14mm joints and bowls to see what works the best with this rig.
Still learning from yall here on these hard hitting vapes, hope u having a nice combustion free night
I'd suggest 18mm wpa / bowl / joint.

The New Vape Showerhead bowl works really well. It almost swallows up the pinky up to the coil.

DRAG-0n

Im gonna try it with some of my stuff at home and then maybe buy some other quartz/glass joints, but might even try the flowerpot b2 unit to hit some flower and conc. While i wait i am using a nice live rosin disposable, (had to try it was on sale), and man its hitting pretty dang nice

DRAG-0n,

shopdognyc

I am using Eds injector wpa, Elev8tors wpa, some other 18/19mm wpa's pretty well.

shopdognyc,

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
I find it more funny ,how many Ball guys benefited from the Inverzion and the Glass Symphony threads and not a single one of them makes even a honorary mention of the dudes ... It appears people are so busy cashing on other people ideas,they dont even find the time to give credit owed. As for professional reviewers/promoters ,they all start good ,but somewhere down the line their credibility gets chipped away by their financial interest, just like the VC.
I took a bit of undue harassment over on IG the other day (commenter has since deleted his comments) on this subject so I wanted to clarify a few things. I always have given credit where credit is due for these hacks. I regularly tell people that the GS was the first heat sink ball vape to come around and many products have benefited from it's influence. I tell everyone that Vape Critic was the first one to wrap a 16mm coil around an Elev8R heater. The G43 provided influence to add the balls for the DCE.

Speaking of DCE, I'd also like to clarify that while I love it personally and think it's a great value, I know there are other great options. Which is why I love this thread. I have read comments from people who say I'm threatened by this competition but you really have no idea what your talking about. There are plenty to great items worthy of offer to this community. I am happy to see innovation and solutions people can implement themselves. I would be more than happy to offer the parts to them in a one stop shop or even install some of these builds just like I do for the DCE. Which is why I have reached out to @Secreagent on some ideas.

Last edited:

Spleeeno

Horsin around
imo it all leads to improvements for vapes as a whole and is fine by me as long as nobody tries to use all of these open-source designs and ideas to create some kinda proprietary ecosystem that locks you in and tries to squeeze out all your money that way.

so the newest cannabis hardware heatshield being very much inspired by the qaromashop stand? great, looks dope.
the newest dyna beta caps use copper like the anvil? great, especially since some people were like "omg the anvil LOOKS like a dynavap, what a copycat" a few months ago.

I'm just waiting for someone to figure out some screen thats used in some super obscure kitchen appliance with widely available replacement parts actually works as a stable drop-in solution for the pinky screens and shit like that.

so I cant wait to see how the whole space looks in a few years with cheap ballvapes all around :science:

maybe pax will even release a pink colored pax 3 now, isnt that super exciting? :brow:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
imo it all leads to improvements for vapes as a whole and is fine by me as long as nobody tries to use all of these open-source designs and ideas to create some kinda proprietary ecosystem that locks you in and tries to squeeze out all your money that way.

so the newest cannabis hardware heatshield being very much inspired by the qaromashop stand? great, looks dope.
the newest dyna beta caps use copper like the anvil? great, especially since some people were like "omg the anvil LOOKS like a dynavap, what a copycat" a few months ago.

I'm just waiting for someone to figure out some screen thats used in some super obscure kitchen appliance with widely available replacement parts actually works as a stable drop-in solution for the pinky screens and shit like that.

so I cant wait to see how the whole space looks in a few years with cheap ballvapes all around :science:

maybe pax will even release a pink colored pax 3 now, isnt that super exciting? :brow:
If you think it is ok cause everybody is doing it, well there are others that will disagree.
Bottom line is no one can do a shit to prevent building on someone elses work/ideas,but it is down to being a decent person and give credit.
Doing that costs almost nothing ,maybe just a few EGO points.

Last edited:

David Root

@David Root

I am a welder, I have many in a lot more sizes.

David LOOK HERE Sizes

Those glass ones take the same heat......................

Spleeeno

Horsin around
If you think it is ok cause everybody is doing it, well there are others that will disagree.
Bottom line is no one can do a shit to prevent building on someone elses work/ideas,but it is down to being a decent person and give credit.
Doing that costs almost nothing ,maybe just a few EGO points.
you can always patent the truly mindblowing stuff, but that will most likely lead to the mindblowing stuff not getting used, as that is how the patent system is being used mostyl nowadays: just apply for a patent to stop other people from outdoing you with what might only be a stupid idea you had.

anyway I doubt all the people that were inspired by michael jackson (his music, not his handling of kids) credit him everytime they do a "hi hi" hookline. now that I think about it, they shouldnt credit michael jackson but rather quincy jones cause he was the producer behind most of his good stuff, so...yeah credit to the rightful creator is a bitch, because if someone would credit vapecritic, someone else would point out that vapecritic wasnt the first, etc...its just a stupid cycle at some point.

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
Just because something is a “bitch” doesn’t mean we shouldn’t attempt to do it, especially if it is generally the right thing to do. When the Animals first sang “House of the Rising Sun” everyone blamed them for “stealing” it from Dylan; who himself was accused of “stealing” it from one of his influences…but research has shown the general theme of the song has been around since at least the 12th century.

You should always give credit to those who supported you and whose upstream work was instrumental in completing your work. If that work was itself inspired by someone else it is up to THAT person to credit them.

staircase slight of hand

When the Animals first sang “House of the Rising Sun” everyone blamed them for “stealing” it from Dylan; who himself was accused of “stealing” it from one of his influences

Well, Joan Baez put out a version two years before Uncle Robert, so it kinda sounds like the “everyone” in your example shouldn’t be taken very seriously if they’re that ignorant of it being a long-established folk song.

GoldenBud

because if you look at the OG GS as an heat exchanger, the balls are just "fillers", they are cheap, they don't count in real life for most people. politics? maybe.. point of view maybe. fillers count less than the heater itself, it seems.
GS has a cylinder wrapped by beads, the beads sort of holders not manufacturing the heat, people catch it cheap so they don't give credits, people you know..
GS is a lot more than beads. huge heater, HUGE air inlet, deepest effects. the opposite of smoking
it's like two cordinates of heat, the cylinder which where the paste is placed, and the 5mm (i think) beads which hold the heat and a lot of air coming through..

GoldenBud,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
because if you look at the OG GS as an heat exchanger, the balls are just "fillers", they are cheap, they don't count in real life for most people. politics? maybe.. point of view maybe. fillers count less than the heater itself, it seems.
GS has a cylinder wrapped by beads, the beads sort of holders not manufacturing the heat, people catch it cheap so they don't give credits, people you know..
GS is a lot more than beads. huge heater, HUGE air inlet, deepest effects. the opposite of smoking
it's like two cordinates of heat, the cylinder which where the paste is placed, and the 5mm (i think) beads which hold the heat and a lot of air coming through..
Haha,man i am so blitzed right now, i read 3 times through your post and cannot get the sense of it, The language barrier reefer got to me,haha :) !
I am well aware what balls do and dont also am familiar with the GS concept. My point was that ,in case you get inspired by someone else work/ideas and dont find the time for a simple thank you or to give credit,you are not a dude. No need to further get into this topic. Good luck to the Pinky,i hold nothing against the rest of the Ballverse,i just said it is ""funny"" :D :D >...

Abysmal Vapor,
Reactions: GoldenBud

GoldenBud

Haha,man i am so blitzed right now, i read 3 times through your post and cannot get the sense of it, The language barrier reefer got to me,haha :) !
I am well aware what balls do and dont also am familiar with the GS concept. My point was that ,in case you get inspired by someone else work/ideas and dont find the time for a simple thank you or to give credit,you are not a dude. No need to further get into this topic. Good luck to the Pinky,i hold nothing against the rest of Ballverse,i just said it is ""funny"" :D :D >...
heaters before heat soakers. nobody credits the balls, the fillers, the holders. as the world don't give too much credit for the second place not the first etc'
lol
but i get your point
i try to explain their point

Top Bottom