Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
I wouldn't go to Vegas any time soon, exit. You make a lot of brash assumptions here and I'm sorry that you lost all these bets of yours. Bets against me, at least.

After very gentle draws with the Hercules, I cool it down just like you would an omicron cart and after, set it on it's side, as has been general practice since its release. (Although THC Scientific has said it doesn't matter how you draw from it, any way you hit it should produce vapor. Lol, not in my experience.)

I own a Fluke 77 III MM. Measures resistance in the carts and ceramic rod perfectly. Fuck if I didn't think to use this to measure my Herc. I bet I'm just a pissy customer.

Despite how frustrated I allow myself to be while posting, I actually spent a lot of patient time on my Hercules. Kind of a deranged calm. I put mine together in front of THC Scientific at the San Diego sesh. He said that my assembly was sound. Tried to fire it, and he saw that it wouldn't work. After seeing that, he took it apart, didn't even measure the bottom insulator, though you have painstakingly described a process I'm sure works for you. He just measured the Ceramic Rod, which was broken. "Oh, this shouldn't have passed quality control. Weird. Here, have a new one." After that it STILL didn't work. Only after cutting our coils did our Hercs did start to work. But we never measured resistance. We never compared Hercs. We just saw that finally, FINALLY, our Hercs were producing some vapor and we left happy enough.

Now, my contention is that we did not have a baseline performance. We didn't spend any significant time making sure that both units were up to snuff, identical. We simply made them spit out vapor and went on our merry way. Could it be that in that hotel room, in so few steps and time, we covered all possible variables? Would you make that bet?

I, however, am willing to bet that you didn't know that THC Scientific brought 3 BRAND NEW units he had taken off the line the day before he visited San Diego. Said when he tested them, they were fine. But when he got to San Diego, for some darned reason, he couldn't get any of them to work. The Manufacturer couldn't tell us why. Now I'm not saying these Hercs never work, exit. I believe I always stated that when it works it's amazing. The problem is that, given consistent conditions, my Herc remains an inconsistent device.

And despite all that, you are confident it's user error? You are aware that your exact conditions are not universally shared? That only those who experience the same problems as you will be able to solve it in a similar way? You are aware of the possibility of other variables that may not affect you but affect others? The Manufacturer has trouble with some of his own units. Couldn't get 5 working at the same time. Couldn't explain why. I suppose you can?

I'm not devaluing your experience with your Hercules, that would just be bad manners, nor am I questioning the process by which you assure proper contact is had. I'm sure, if I don't sell my Persei, I'll go through the same motions. But to suggest that other people are just being idiots because your device works, that's just not okay.

You describe how removing your Herc from your Persei changed the center pin a little. I've known this from the start and avoid doing such. I still have had to constantly work at the center pin despite rarely moving it. I'm pretty sure the center pin is affected by the heat, and, expands slightly, changing the contact position. This is likely the biggest problem with the bottom insulator.

Trust me, buddy, I've thought of every reason why I'm wasting hundreds of dollars. I'm not so frivolous with money that I go around making bad bets.

Have you shipped out your hercules? I need to take a loot at it and see why its not producing any vapor. the issue's the three hercules had then i brought them down are user issues all cleared up when i brought them back up here.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
Have you shipped out your hercules? I need to take a loot at it and see why its not producing any vapor. the issue's the three hercules had then i brought them down are user issues all cleared up when i brought them back up here.

Im going to drive up on Friday if youre available. Id like this solved in person. No miscommunications or half details. I want to make sure my device is like everyone elses.

Atomsk,

exit

I wouldn't go to Vegas any time soon, exit.

I'm just going from my own experience from getting mine to work and helping others get theirs working. Honestly if you've done the multimetering and you haven't heated it past vaporization I don't know what to tell you and I can only assume you've had nothing but bad luck.

IMO you should have your whole Persei and SR71 replaced, as in IMO you deserve to have the latest version of everything, and see if your troubles continue.

You describe how removing your Herc from your Persei changed the center pin a little. I've known this from the start and avoid doing such. I still have had to constantly work at the center pin despite rarely moving it. I'm pretty sure the center pin is affected by the heat, and, expands slightly, changing the contact position. This is likely the biggest problem with the bottom insulator.

This is my only hint I have to go by that something still might not be vape's fault. I know I come off as brash but really I'm just trying to be helpful.

G knows that since DAY ONE I have been complaining about the bottom insulator and its design. I personally think the bottom insulator is the downfall of the whole design. As in, take off the bottom insulator, measure the herc itself, always 1.7V, throw that on a top, it heats right up. But you add the bottom insulator to the mix and suddenly it comes unbearably difficult to work it.

Keep everything put together properly, but twist the pin all the way in, loosen it by half a rotation, measure, and repeat until you get 1.7V. I have had to take it almost all the way out before it read 1.7 (maybe a little higher, up to 2.5 even) but when it does it'll work beautifully.

My biggest problem with this method is I had an old style Persei top with the raised center pin, so as soon as I tried to take this advice I zapped a top. Then of course it was not under warranty and the damage was my fault obviously, so I had to buy a Persei warranty, after factoring in the shipping & handling costs I was charged I really should have just spent double and bought a second Persei, unless I am mistaken in thinking they come with lifetime warrantys instead of 1 year ones.

My point here is the bottom insulator sucks and is by far the weakest link of the whole setup. Don't be afraid to screw and unscrew the pin on the bottom insulator. It's a hell of a lot easier than taking everything apart and putting it back together and hoping it reads 1.7V.

Good luck @Atomsk. Again, sorry my brashness made you mad, I just wanted to be extra clear, because to be perfectly honest I still do think user error is at least partially to blame. All my testing and experimenting with the SR71 has led to me to believe at least 90% of everyone's problems are with the bottom insulator.

Now I'm going to go clean off my Herc and put it back together and see if I can't get the bottom insulator working like it should again.

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Im going to drive up on Friday if youre available. Id like this solved in person. No miscommunications or half details. I want to make sure my device is like everyone elses.

Cool be here before 12pm please as we are doing a podcast that day and i wont be available after 1:30pm we will get you up and running for sure.

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
Good luck @Atomsk. Again, sorry my brashness made you mad, I just wanted to be extra clear, because to be perfectly honest I still do think user error is at least partially to blame. All my testing and experimenting with the SR71 has led to me to believe at least 90% of everyone's problems are with the bottom insulator.

Yo, we're chill man. I apologize as well. I appreciate you helping out with Persei stuff, even before this issue. It's just... if anything, my whole post above should show how much I've put in to the Hercules / Persei and how badly it now frustrates me.

Trust. I would be ecstatic if this were user error. Fucking jovial, because I can correct a behavior in myself but I cannot correct a behavior in a manufactured device. This whole thing, I just can't even...

Knowing me, it has always just been my luck. Hopefully none of it has rubbed off on you.

Cool be here before 12pm please as we are doing a podcast that day and i wont be available after 1:30pm we will get you up and running for sure.

Definitely. Just want to remind you that I'm coming in with three broken pieces (the slotted shaft that receives that ceramic rod from the center pin, the slotted shaft that receives the rod in the top heating chamber, the Black Rod), and that I'm missing mouth piece, screen, and black screw (fell in drain, can't get it out).

We've spoken about the first slotted shaft, but I wasn't sent a replacement w/ the black rod. The second slotted shaft broke along with the black rod when it got stuck. This is detailed in another post. The mouth piece happened on the same day.

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
it doesnt turn red but the metal gets hot

0xEl8Rh.jpg

aej5qV9.jpg

if its not turning red then your bottom insulator needs to be adjusted. The image below shows you the part, and on both sides you will see a slot that allows you to use a flat head screw driver, you would need 2 and unscrew 1/4 turn out.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

exit

I just posted this in a w9 support ticket, but was wondering if anyone else has seen the bottom insulator like this.

Mine looks like this when something is threaded into it. If you unscrew whatever's attached, you can just push on the bottom pin and it slides up until it's flush with no resistance.

UORpeHMl.jpg

exit,
Reactions: Atomsk

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
I just posted this in a w9 support ticket, but was wondering if anyone else has seen the bottom insulator like this.

Mine looks like this when something is threaded into it. If you unscrew whatever's attached, you can just push on the bottom pin and it slides up until it's flush with no resistance.

UORpeHMl.jpg

that means your center pins are unscrewed to far out or your missing the ptfe piece on the other side.

Here is a correct version.

This one shows the pins out and both sides need to have the ptfe part. This insulates the positive center pin from the negative body.

This next one shows the ptfe correctly inserted.

hope this helps in putting your herc back together correctly.

Last edited:

exit

Yo thanks for all those pictures G. The thing is I've got my bottom insulator replaced by the one I have now, and I've literally never ever taken it apart, so I know the PTFE pieces aren't missing.

I tried screwing the center pins down harder, but they still just spin without threading/dethreading like they're supposed to. I put it together exactly like you showed but the pins aren't adjustable and it stays pushed in a little too far on the side that attaches to the Persei top and still only reads a short.

I apologize for being a downer on the thread with this. Up until this mysterious occurance it's been running without a hitch for months.

PS the image attachment thing on the support site is broken ;)

EDIT: Oh, I lost the washer that's supposed to go under the mouthpiece somehow. What size is it, do we still need those, or are the mouthpieces changed since the first batch?

exit,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Yo thanks for all those pictures G. The thing is I've got my bottom insulator replaced by the one I have now, and I've literally never ever taken it apart, so I know the PTFE pieces aren't missing.

I tried screwing the center pins down harder, but they still just spin without threading/dethreading like they're supposed to. I put it together exactly like you showed but the pins aren't adjustable and it stays pushed in a little too far on the side that attaches to the Persei top and still only reads a short.

PS the image attachment thing on the support site is broken ;)

When you unscrewed it, you pushed the ptfe out, so you have to completely disassemble the part, push the ptfe in at first.

THC SCIENTIFIC,
Reactions: exit

exit

Thanks again for your help man, it is seriously appreciated. Sorry for being unclear, I definitely took it all the way apart and did what you said, same result though.

However I just noticed one of the PTFE isn't fitting on either pin anymore, it was the one was facing the side the Herc attaches to. One of them definitely looks warped.

Vgepu06l.jpg

exit,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Thanks again for your help man, it is seriously appreciated. Sorry for being unclear, I definitely took it all the way apart and did what you said, same result though.

However I just noticed one of the PTFE isn't fitting on either pin anymore, it was the one was facing the side the Herc attaches to. One of them definitely looks warped.

Vgepu06l.jpg

this happens when the ptfe is forced to go in. If its to hard to push it in then its not seated correctly, it has to slide in gently.

THC SCIENTIFIC,

exit

Neither PTFE will slide in gently at all. Again this is my very first time taking this bottom insulator apart and trying to put it back together. The PTFEs looked like that when I popped them out for the very first time. Are the PTFE supposed to slide in gently or the pins?

exit,

Caligula

Maximus
Neither PTFE will slide in gently at all. Again this is my very first time taking this bottom insulator apart and trying to put it back together. The PTFEs looked like that when I popped them out for the very first time. Are the PTFE supposed to slide in gently or the pins?

If they are clean (ie not tacky from concentrate), mine slide in without much force needed. They wont fall in by gravity alone, but I dont need any excessive pushing force to get them in.

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
it doesnt turn red but the metal gets hot

0xEl8Rh.jpg

aej5qV9.jpg
Sorry dont really know what yiur issue is, ive been really busy and just skimming the thread the past week or so...thats weird though, I was gonna ask if your using the black rod, because that is what it sounds like, but I can see in your pic it is a white rod.

Are you using 2-18350 3.7V batteries? Because if so it should glow after 5-10 seconds. If your just using 1-18650 3.7V battery, then the White rod Herc will only get warm and will not glow...which it sounds like you are experiencing. But it could be something else maybe wrong

Mynameismud,

exit

Everything is clean, I washed all these parts of with 91% ISO and nothing is stained or dirty.

I remember on my original bottom insulator they slid in without any force needed. Now they refuse to go in either side whatsoever.

This is as far as either PTFE is willing to go.

lXTLrecl.jpg

exit,

Caligula

Maximus
Everything is clean, I washed all these parts of with 91% ISO and nothing is stained or dirty.

I remember on my original bottom insulator they slid in without any force needed. Now they refuse to go in either side whatsoever.

lXTLrecl.jpg
demotivational-posters-well-theres-your-problem6.jpg

Caligula,

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
Try to put the pin and a collar together first, then insert in the bottom of the insulator. If not, try switching out the third collar to see if it will fit and also check the housing to make sure the insulator walls aren't warped.

Atomsk,

Mynameismud

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker

lXTLrecl.jpg
From your other picture of the 2 ptfe pieces, the one looks warped and the other one looks like it has something in the center. Have you tried using the one that holds the center post that the ceramic rod, in the bottom section of the herc, fits into...and see how that fits int he bottom insulator?

Last edited:
Mynameismud,

exit

Try to put the pin and a collar together first, then insert in the bottom of the insulator. If not, try switching out the third collar to see if it will fit and also check the housing to make sure the insulator walls aren't warped.

Thanks for the help man. Same thing though. This is the weirdest thing, I've been using my SR71 since Day ONe and never seen something like this!

G I want to thank you again for your help too. I still stand by this product 100% and don't doubt something I did might have made this problem happen. That said, I didn't try and force the PTFE in ;)

From your other picture of the 2 ptfe pieces, the one looks warped and the other one looks like it has something in the center. Have you tried using the one that hold the center post that the ceramic rod, in the bottom section of the herc, fits into...and see how that fits int he bottom insulator?

Same problem even with that third PTFE. No idea what happened.

-------------------------------------

Anyway, more importantly, should I be worried about losing the washer that's supposed to go under the mouthpiece? Or is it working fine if you just don't screw the mouthpiece all the way down?

deadheadbill

I can see clearly now the smoke is gone...
Sorry if this is obvious, but I can't tell if there is a current discount code? I have searched this thread but still am not sure.

deadheadbill,

ohdono

high more than not
i should have metnioned @ohdono have yuo tried this with the bottom insilator attachded.

1 remove the rubbery outer shell and put it to the side
2 measure resistance on what you have left, should very close to or exactly 1,7v
3 reattach main herc to bottom insulartor measure
if you got a good reading then skip step 4
4. with a fresh and fully charged battery, attach everting together.
5, teke SR71 off from the button top and measure resistance is't
6. load er up hold mouthpiece hear to your eat for a few seconds, should hear some bubbling if so stop pushing and keep pulling! and pull until the clods become satisfactorally dense

Before I try this, can you help me adjust the to the correct settings on my multimeter. Here is a picture of how I currently have it.
pLxjmqP.jpg

Looks like the ceramic rod is inserted too far into the upper chamber. You should be able to see a tiny sliver of tungsten contact sticking out past the retaining nut. A very small sliver. Looks like you have none.
Here is a picture of how I adjusted the ceramic rod.
I8cC6jd.jpg

if its not turning red then your bottom insulator needs to be adjusted. The image below shows you the part, and on both sides you will see a slot that allows you to use a flat head screw driver, you would need 2 and unscrew 1/4 turn out.

I will try this after I know how to properly test resistance and will report back here with how it goes. But one question, if I am getting heat to the hercules, does that mean my bottom insulator is already in contact with the hercules?

ohdono,
Top Bottom