The Official FC Pets & Animals thread

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.

Bologna,
  • Love
Reactions: bulllee

Vitolo

Vaporist
I changed my conure's name from Cornelius to Cornelia.
Good news is I may be a grandpa soon!
DSC00382.jpg

DSC00381.jpg

Edit: These eggs will not hatch as Cornelia has no mate... The eggs have not been made fertile.

Last edited:

Vitolo

Vaporist
Do you know why did she laid these eggs ?
Maybe she wants a mate ?
She laid the eggs due to physiology and timing. Conure females lay eggs, as the eggs are natural embryos that must be passed... fertilized or not.
YES.. I am sure she wants a mate.
Once a pair of Conures has bonded, they really would rather not be bothered by humans, and they become territorial and aggressive.
As a loving family pet most birds are not provided a mate.
Francis my Lovebird (male) wants a mate also, but he is too loving and stays with me all of the time. I do not want to remove the hiuman bond from my birds.
ALSO... Proper diet for Cornelia is budgeted in my life already, and stretching the budget for another birds' food and care would cause me hardship, and cause the budget to potentially be less able to give Rocket Man and Francis the perfect care that they get.
How did my bird lay eggs without mating?
All birds reproduce by laying eggs. Eggs are produced inside the female and then deposited in a nest. In captive female birds, egg laying, which is actually the equivalent of ovulation in mammals, can happen without fertilization or even the presence of a male.
I also read this article which is enlightening... Maybe my affectionate behavior with my bird often has caused Cornelia to "pair" with me. It is OK that I am affectionate with Francis because he is a male.

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
:o

Orca takes down a great white shark on camera

And:

Top Bottom