The Nova FX by Ardent

sickmanfraud

Anyone Try decarbing a "balanced herb" before?

I have a Sativa of 10% THC and 10% CBD?

Should I decarb on THC or CBD setting?"

Regarding Ardent support. To put it plainly their CS stinks. I tried to point out that etahnol was "drinkable" even though they had it mixed up with ISO.

Last week I sent them a message that the links in their on-line manual did not work. What did they do? They sent me a PDF and the links in the on-line manual still don't work and I had already downloaded the detailed manual.

Last edited:
sickmanfraud,

sickmanfraud

I've read that it's recommended to use the thc or A1 setting on thc/CBD mixes.
Thanks for the info.

However, my FX seems to be DOA. Which sucks doubly since I am outside the USA.

I will describe the problem. When put on the base the power button turns green but I can not get it to start. The mode button also does not work. Doesn't Ardent test these things before they ship?

Last edited:
sickmanfraud,

shredder

I will describe the problem. When put on the base the power button turns green but I can not get it to start. The mode button also does not work. Doesn't Ardent test these things before they ship?

Sounds like a question for Ardent. Have you contacted them?

What happens when you press the start button? It's the button that turns green when it's on the base. Does it turn red? I ask because it doesn't really look like a button, and there is the mode button (M) that looks more obvious.

At first I kept hitting the mode button to start, but it was the wrong button.

On mine to change modes the led light indicating which mode it's in, is hard to see, but it works, and always starts in the A1 mode.

Does the mode light (A1) come on when the green light comes on?

And what is your power supply?

shredder,

sickmanfraud

Sounds like a question for Ardent. Have you contacted them?

What happens when you press the start button? It's the button that turns green when it's on the base. Does it turn red? I ask because it doesn't really look like a button, and there is the mode button (M) that looks more obvious.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
At first I kept hitting the mode button to start, but it was the wrong button.

On mine to change modes the led light indicating which mode it's in, is hard to see, but it works, and always starts in the A1 mode.
NO RED LIGHT

Does the mode light (A1) come on when the green light comes on?
NO
And what is your power supply?

Thank you for the answers. Sorry for the all caps. I figure it should keep questions and separate.

is there any combo of keys to reset the FX?

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: shredder

strech

I have to give mine a good firm press to turn on but to switch modes I barely have to touch it.

strech,

Truth Seeker

Just ordered it with the 25% off coupon after reading the reviews I took the plunge. I saw the Ardent Nova at a head shop and didn't like the build so I figured I'd give this a go!

Truth Seeker,

Truth Seeker

How long does it take before the smell of silicon comes off/burns off the lid of the FX?
It's a pretty potent silicon smell when using the FX for the first time, I really wish they would not of used silicon.

Truth Seeker,

shredder

How long does it take before the smell of silicon comes off/burns off the lid of the FX?
It's a pretty potent silicon smell when using the FX for the first time, I really wish they would not of used silicon.
It shouldn't be long. I don't remember mine smelling bad. Same with my silicone sleeve.

The sleeve smells like weed now, lol. I store it inside of it.

hunter548

Bought my Nova Lift from Ardent in 2018. Only used it 4 or 5 times in the past 3 years before it stopped shutting off. Last weekend I put 8 gms of bud in before going to bed and 8 hours later, it was still on. Lower third of the unit was so hot I couldn't touch it. Fortunately it didn’t catch fire. I found I couldn't turn the unit off using the switch and had to pull the plug. The bud, of course, had turned to a dark brown powder and was a total loss.

I contacted Ardent and they will not repair the unit as it is outside the one year warranty, but would replace it for $150. As this product has no over temperature protection or any agency approval, I will not be replacing or ordering any of their products. Reviewers on Amazon and other sites have documented the same issue, but Ardent apparently does not consider overheating a serious enough problem to resolve permanently.

It seemed obvious after the fact, but at a minimum, Ardent's literature should state that the unit should never be left unattended during operation. I would advise the same to any buyer.

shredder

I've used my nova fx a lot in the last year. For buds I use the silicone sleeve. And I haven't washed it, so it smells of weed. I'm running it through our dishwasher today.

Lately I've noticed it seems to leak oil. The bottom of the sleeve and the fx itself get sticky from resin.

I've cleaned the outside of the sleeve with iso as well as the inside of the fx, but when I use it, it gets sticky again. So I don't think I will continue to use it.

It seems like resins migrate through the silicone. Crazy, but what else could it be?

shredder,
Reactions: florduh

florduh

Has anyone tried cold ethanol infusions for tinctures?

Next, we placed 1 gram of decarbed CBG into 1 ounce of Everclear and left it on the counter for three hours. No heat was used, and the jar was not disturbed. After three hours, we shook the jar for 20 seconds and then strained the raffinate from the Everclear. You can see the testing results – E00210. After 3 hours in room-temp Everclear, about 100 mg of CBG out of the 120 mg CBG in the flower was extracted into the Everclear solution. That’s over 80% extraction rate from the 3 hour room temp infusion.

Making alcohol tinctures without heat sounds much easier and safer. That article also theorizes that infusing in the freezer may be even more effective. I always assumed these room temp or cold infusions take weeks or months. Not hours.

florduh,

shredder

Has anyone tried cold ethanol infusions for tinctures?

Making alcohol tinctures without heat sounds much easier and safer. That article also theorizes that infusing in the freezer may be even more effective. I always assumed these room temp or cold infusions take weeks or months. Not hours.
The actual transfer of THC from the plant is to the alcohol goes quick at room temperature, like minutes, but I imagine being colder slows it down.

I don't know why anyone would use heat. I've made tinctures in minutes as in 2 minute soak, using decarbed buds and 190 proof alcohol at room temperature.

Cold infusing tinctures are notable for not collecting a lot of plant materials like plant wax. So a cleaner tincture.

And long term four months long infusions can naturally decarb themselves. And they're said to preserve terpenes and taste great. Something I've never tried.

Personally I'm more into infused oils from concentrates than tinctures. Not a fan of the alcohol except in making feco.

florduh

but I imagine being colder slows it down.
The Ardent article theorizes that ice cold temps cause the trichomes to become brittle and fall off easier. Similar to the concept behind making ice water hash. That's above my pay grade, so no clue if it makes sense.

Personally I'm more into infused oils from concentrates than tinctures. Not a fan of the alcohol except in making feco.

I'm interested in alcohol tinctures for two reasons. I've heard they hit faster than oil, and they mix into beverages easier. Not sure if the faster onset work out in reality, or is just the conventional wisdom.

florduh,

shredder

The Ardent article theorizes that ice cold temps cause the trichomes to become brittle and fall off easier. Similar to the concept behind making ice water hash. That's above my pay grade, so no clue if it makes sense.

I'm interested in alcohol tinctures for two reasons. I've heard they hit faster than oil, and they mix into beverages easier. Not sure if the faster onset work out in reality, or is just the conventional wisdom.

They do mix in a beverage better. I have a super silver haze golden dragon tincture I use in a beer or something on occasion. Golden dragon uses decarbed buds.

The only way to get a quick buzz from a tincture that I know of is to keep it as long as possible under your tongue. Not a pleasant experience, lol.

An infused mct oil tastes better, imo, can be used under the tongue or on food, like a tincture.

To make a faster buzz using a infusion (or a tincture as well) you can use it in coffee or with a sugary food. In coffee I feel the infused oil in 15-20 minutes.

shredder,
Reactions: florduh

crazferret

I've gone through the thread and have my fingers crossed that Ardent will have a sale similar to what @shredder got - $280 for the FX, sleeve, press. Can't wait to give this a go. I have an earlier Magical Butter machine that did OK for me. It's loud and will fill the house with a strong odor, which has limited how much I use it. Seems like the Nova FX is dialed in more, produces less smell, and is WAY easier to keep clean.

Any other tips on what to grab? I think I will mainly infuse oil/butter, but do want to finally give gummies a try at some point.

crazferret,

shredder

I've gone through the thread and have my fingers crossed that Ardent will have a sale similar to what @shredder got - $280 for the FX, sleeve, press. Can't wait to give this a go. I have an earlier Magical Butter machine that did OK for me. It's loud and will fill the house with a strong odor, which has limited how much I use it. Seems like the Nova FX is dialed in more, produces less smell, and is WAY easier to keep clean.

Any other tips on what to grab? I think I will mainly infuse oil/butter, but do want to finally give gummies a try at some point.

Mine does smell some, but I've used it a lot. Most of the smell came from the silicone sleeve. We ran the sleeve through our dishwasher 3 times to get rid of the smell. It's not bad now, I've used it 3 times since washing the sleeve. The sleeve also got sticky with resin and got resin in the the fx body. No problems since the dishwasher routine.

I didn't care for the french press thing. I got oil on the outside body pouring, and it got under the plastic bottom and we had to run the whole body in the dishwasher to get rid of the oil.

If I extract from herb anymore, I'll do it in a jar. The fx will hold a 24 oz canning jar, fits perfect in fact. Then I use a mesh nut milk bag and a potato ricer to get most of the oil out.

For the oil on the herb, I dunk the nut bag with herb in hot water. Then put the water in the freezer. The oil will coagulate on top of the water and can be lifted off with a slotted spoon.

I've never baked in it, so no opinion on that. Or that lifter device. It does look handy though.

Last edited:

Krazy

I'v done the freezer- ethanol version a few times when my harvest exceeded expectations. I then boil off and put in a dropper bottle. I use an industrial freezer @ -20c. I have never done the dry ice method.

edted for speeling.

shredder

I went ahead and took advantage of the sale today. Ardent FX, the sleeve, and scent shield for $285. Pumped to give it a try and work in some of the tips you all have shared.

Coolio!

If you can, post a review after you use it a few times. And of course if you have questions, just ask. I'm sure you've read the thread, but we will be happy to help.

crazferret

Read through the thread, I didn't see the question asked....is anyone actually putting ABV in here? Getting tired of doing the old fashioned way.
I received my unit, but haven't given it a run yet.

As for ABV, I have done this with the Magical Butter Machine. Infused some coconut oil with ABV twice. Obviously no decarb was necessary. The final product was interesting. There is a bit stronger flavor that comes with ABV. Kind of that nutty, toasty flavor mixed in. Items I made with the oil were good, but seemed oddly inconsistent. I'd have one edible that kicked my ass, then another from the same batch that was just kinda meh. Since I was typically just kicking it at home, the inconsistency didn't really bother me. Kind of a 'choose your adventure' type of evening. It does make it tougher to portion things out though if you are recommending to a friend or want to dial in to a specific level of buzzed.

All that said, I will likely give ABV a shot in the FX at some point to see how it plays out.

shredder

Read through the thread, I didn't see the question asked....is anyone actually putting ABV in here? Getting tired of doing the old fashioned way.

I don't generate abv anymore, when I did I found making oil using alcohol gave me the best results. Having said that there's no reason you can't infuse abv in your nova.

If you do I recommend using a glass jar to hold the oil and abv. The nova fx can hold a 24oz canning jar. Using a jar keeps the nova clean and works fine.

shredder

Came here for this.

I just got the FX and tried the A1 mode and found it less effective than my convection oven at 250 for 25 minutes.

I'm hoping the A2 mode is better or I will have wasted my money....

If you go back and read the entire thread other folks have felt the same way as your comments when they first start using their nova or nova fx.

Ardent says it's because people are used to overdecarbing so they're expecting something other than what they get. I tend to agree, and would include myself in being a little surprised.

But if you want a little different experience try the cbd mode and maybe decarb two cycles.

After a few years of using my fx I'm pretty happy decarbing buds and hash in the thc mode and rosin in the cbd mode. And I mix twice decarbed with once decarbed buds/hash for sleep capsules.

Top Bottom