The Nomad From Morwood

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Just to clear up any confusion. The photos I just posted are of the remaining Batch 1 Nomad IIs. I sent out the first part of this batch last year. I tried to break the batch up into smaller chunks to see if it would speed things up. Turns out that working in larger batches was still the better way, so I just went ahead and finished the rest of Batch 1 as a group.

Batch 2 has slowly started in the background, as there are a few things I like to do ahead of time to set up a batch. I started Batch 2 updates in the fall, with the hope that Batch 1 would soon be finished and I could then start on Batch 2 full-time. The finishing of Batch 1 has taken longer than I thought, but I continued with smaller Batch 2 updates. The majority of my time has been spent on the completion of Batch 1. I'm pushing to send of these remaining Batch 1's out this month, and then I can move on to full-time work on Batch 2.

Batch 3 Nomad IIs will start once Batch 2 is complete. Though, the woods are all here and ready.

I stopped taking Nomad II orders a long time ago, there are no more orders after Batch 3. Until I fully catch up, I will not be taking new Nomad II orders.

___

Here, I'll explain a bit about why Batch 1 took so long, and why you can expect the next two batches to go much faster.

Batch 1 was not only the largest batch, but also it was where I had to make multiple design tweaks, machine setups, jigs... and the most time consuming part of figuring out the most efficient batch production methods.

@flammy is also correct in that at the time I was finishing an unexpectedly large number of custom painted Nomad I sleeves that ended up consuming around 6 months of time that I did not account for.

Much of the crafting processes for Batch 1 ended up taking so much longer than expected. It forced me to re-evaluate and come up with better solutions.

A good example of this is the shaping of the bodies, taking them from rectangular forms into the rounded and bevelled final shapes. The first part of Batch 1 was completed by hand with files, rasps, sandpaper sticks, chisels, and hand planes. This ended up taking over a month of time to complete. For the rest of Batch 1, I was able to use a sanding machine that I had built to help me with the shaping. Using this machine (once I was well practiced) I was able to condense a month or more long process into three days, quite an astonishing difference. And most importantly, the quality of the end results were identical.

This is just one of many improvements I've been able to make to help speed up the process. While my original time estimate for Batch 1 was way off the mark, I've been trying my absolute best to deliver on the quality craftsmanship that is expected from the Nomad series.

Now that all of Batch 1 is almost done, and Batch 2 has had a head start, I'm certain things will run much smoother from here on out.

So far, the crafting of Batch 2 has felt like a night and day difference compared to Batch 1. Once I am able to dedicate my full time schedule to Batch 2, things are going to really pick up speed.

After the Nomad IIs, I am revamping the way I take orders so that time delays like this can never happen again. The Nomad IIs were a very hard lesson for me.

___

@cx714 is correct, order numbers are not serial numbers, or an accurate indication of your place in line. They are just for my own organization.

@Zuhdj There are much less than 100 left to make in total, including your batch.

@CanikUser19 When you sign up for the waitlist, you are not given a number, so you're all good there! A number is given when you create an official custom order.

This is still correct, you are in Batch 3. I have an update email for Batch 3 going out today.

I know it's rather confusing... but in short, Batch 1 took way longer than I thought, that pushed back both Batch 2 and 3... and now that Batch 1 is near completion, I'll finally be able to catch up.
Thank you for the update! You've got me jonesin' for that unregulated experience now

3migo

Is this a...what day is this?
I stopped taking Nomad II orders a long time ago, there are no more orders after Batch 3. Until I fully catch up, I will not be taking new Nomad II orders.
Hey Dan, just a clarification question, does this mean there will be no further batches after Batch 3 is complete?

I believe I was in Batch 4 last time I asked, so I'm curious if that means that the later batches are no longer happening.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@3migo, I will be continuing the Nomad line, I love the all wood design and functionally.

I'm currently coming up with ideas on how to improve the over-all ordering process, however.

One idea I am throwing around is to make them in smaller batches to keep it more manageable, with less turn around time.

Another idea is to start making Nomads based on designs that I come up with, instead of doing each unit custom. Getting rid of the custom aspect would significantly reduce the crafting time.

RxPlorer

One idea I am throwing around is to make them in smaller batches to keep it more manageable, with less turn around time.

😍

Another idea is to start making Nomads based on designs that I come up with, instead of doing each unit custom. Getting rid of the custom aspect would significantly reduce the crafting time.

:popcorn:

3migo

Is this a...what day is this?
@3migo, I will be continuing the Nomad line, I love the all wood design and functionally.

I'm currently coming up with ideas on how to improve the over-all ordering process, however.

I think having the Nomads be designs you came up with, similar to the Toad line, is a great idea.

My plan with my Nomad order was just going to be giving you artistic freedom anyways. I figure what you come up with as an artist is always going to be cooler than what I could come up with.

checkyourlibido

Most of us appreciate the art aspect. I think you should just do what you want.

Even with the P80 Tetra, people buy them up in seconds.

Maybe make the custom cost more?

Vaporware

@Dan Morrison I love that you’re willing and able to do really cool and interesting custom stuff, so I hope you do continue to offer customization at least as an extra. You could even limit the number you’d accept at a time, refuse crazy requests like mine, etc. to keep it more manageable.

I know some of these have been a lot more special to people because of the customizations you did and I’d hate to see that completely off the table.

I think most people would be fine with just choosing from a batch that you put together on your own though. As much as I like customization, I’d love to have any of the Nomad IIs you just posted! :rockon:

Are there still Nomad 1s being worked on? I would love to see them if so.

Nomad #90 (one of the last) should be done soon; I think you’ll like it! :love:

Last edited:

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
I think having the Nomads be designs you came up with, similar to the Toad line, is a great idea.

My plan with my Nomad order was just going to be giving you artistic freedom anyways. I figure what you come up with as an artist is always going to be cooler than what I could come up with.
That's what I did. Then we changed some woods around to make it more meaningful for me while maintaining his original aesthetic concepts.

Zuhdj,

Vaporware

These days Dan is putting a red dot on the side of the high heaters (or at least that’s the last thing I saw him say), but otherwise you might have to count the wraps or experiment to find out.

The high heater should hit the point where it starts to faintly glow faster if you heat it in the dark and look down the stem hole, or I’ll trust KeroZen on the winding if you can see that well enough to count.

I thought there were pics of both heaters in the thread but I’m having trouble finding them. They may have been in one of the updates he e-mailed instead? :shrug:

Last edited:
Vaporware,
Reactions: KeroZen

jds

I like that last idea. I have seen similar ordering processes in other hobbies (e.g. custom knife makers doing "makers choice" knives) and I always thought it was a great way to go about it.

jds,

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
High power heater = lower resistance. Lower resistance = less metal. Look for the one with the least number of windings.
Thanks! So to make sure I understand correctly, in below pic - #1 is high heat and #2 is low heat?
749-C5-EE7-F5-C4-479-A-94-E3-D866-B1-DA8-FF4.jpg

I thought there were pics of both heaters in the thread but I’m having trouble finding them.
Yeh, me too. I can only find early versions when Dan was still tweaking it.
They may have been posted using a photo host no longer available.

Caelar900

That one was claimed by @Caelar900 and it doesn’t use the wood combination suggested above, but it still looks great. I hope we get shots of it in the wild too, or at least maybe Dan has pics of it all put together!

Here’s the post:
So just happened upon this post a few months late haha Glad to see people appreciating Dan’s work as much as I do though! I’ll grab some newer shots soon but here’s a few for those interested.

Vaporware

Thanks, it looks great! I’m surprised the sleeve is still so perfect, but I guess there’s a good chance mine will stay pretty pristine for a long time too.

My Toad on the other hand…of course I’ll try to keep it nice too, but it will probably spend more of its time out in a world full of hard surfaces and rough edges. :lol: :uhoh:

PossumMD

Thanks, it looks great! I’m surprised the sleeve is still so perfect, but I guess there’s a good chance mine will stay pretty pristine for a long time too.

My Toad on the other hand…of course I’ll try to keep it nice too, but it will probably spend more of its time out in a world full of hard surfaces and rough edges. :lol: :uhoh:
For what it's worth, I love how beaten up my fw7 is. I use it multiple times a day, it has been on some wild adventures, and the "scars" it's aquired just make me love it even more. I'm sure the same will happen with your toad!

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Dan's work is truly (and without exaggeration) museum quality.
@Caelar900 's Nomad, and the Nomad II's Dan recently posted on Insta' (https://www.instagram.com/p/CanUQmoPAp4/?utm_medium=copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/p/CWTG0yUL2hb/?utm_medium=copy_link) have 'upped the ante' to glorious heights!

Top Bottom