• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Nomad From Morwood

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@Copacetic

All great suggestions!

I find it's better to do the entire cavity with a carbide rotary bit, because going into 'virgin' wood allows me to guide the tool in a way that helps keep my lines smooth and accurate. Hogging out the waste material in the middle takes mere minutes, and is likely faster to do by hand than by manual mill.

The surface is actually quite accurate and smooth right off the power carver... but any miniscule undulation will reflect light weirdly and give away the illusion of smoothness I'm shooting for.

To remove these defects, I mainly use tiny sandpaper blocks, the size of tic tacs. The blocks level the surface.

Because this is endgrain, sanding and scraping becomes more difficult. A scraper will ride the grain, or any defect, and create a bumpy surface. That said, after the sandpaper blocks, I do use a scraper tool very similar to the one you described. It works best in the dense exotics.

A cnc would likely make this job much easier... maybe one day.

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
Could you mill out a rectangular recess fractionally shallower than the final target depth (and smaller in size), leaving only the 'roundover' and subtle curve of the edges to be hand finished?
He’s spent the last 2+ years refining his process and getting Batch 1 in the mail. Let the man work!

I have zero ulterior interest in saying so. None. 🤞

Also, man are these lovely. That figured walnut... damn.

jds

Wow, I love these new Nomads. I wish I could get one in every wood. There are so many beautiful combinations. I particularly enjoy the one with spalted tamarind and purpleheart. Very unique mix.

checkyourlibido

Wow, I love these new Nomads. I wish I could get one in every wood. There are so many beautiful combinations. I particularly enjoy the one with spalted tamarind and purpleheart. Very unique mix.
That spalted tamarind and purpleheart is fire. I'd probably get the verawood and verawood just to be a little more low key. But I'd very happily have both.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
The new Nomads are beautiful, as always.

I have to say that I have two of @Dan Morrison's creations (Nomad I & Toad), and I have barely used any of my other handheld vapes since I received my first Nomad. These are not just beautiful art, but they are very good functioning. I get top quality vapor out of both of them.

Even my Dynavap vapes have barely been used.

Last edited:

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
The sight of the African Blackwood just makes me want to kick myself in the ass .... just what was my thinking in taking myself off the Nomad list ???

omg-leonardo-di-caprio.gif

PossumMD

The new Nomads are beautiful, as always.

I have to say that I have two of @Dan Morrison's creations (Nomad I & Toad), and I have barely used any of my other handheld vapes since I received my first Nomad. These are not just beautiful art, but they are very good functioning. I get top quality vapor out of both of them.

Even my Dynavap vapes have barely been used.
So, I haven't actually seen many reviews on the function of this thing, cos 99% of the time it's about the looks, so this is good to hear. I assumed I'd get on with it, having used unregulated vapes before, but am still unsure how a typical session goes. Do you ride the button? Or just hit the button, wait X time, then inhale?

namasteIII

So, I haven't actually seen many reviews on the function of this thing, cos 99% of the time it's about the looks, so this is good to hear. I assumed I'd get on with it, having used unregulated vapes before, but am still unsure how a typical session goes. Do you ride the button? Or just hit the button, wait X time, then inhale?
theres tons of reviews and talk of function in this thread, just scattered thrughout.

Idk how to help you find it really tho unfortunately.

I’ll also say my experience is the same as Ramahs, great function, my other vapes are lonely.

kanal

My experience is also like Ramahs - dont have a Nomad yet, but since i got the Toad i used pretty much no other vape. And I assume the Nomad performs "the same way" since from a functional perspective its very similar. For reference here is the Quick-start guide Dan posted a while back. This was also my first unregulated vape and for me personally i got a hang of it pretty much immediately. But of course this can vary... Anyways - just my 5 cents ;)

flammy

The answers to your question will vary depending on which heater you use. That said, you’re familiar with unregulated devices, you’re going to enjoy the nomad. I have several other unregulated devices and the nomad/toad are heads and shoulders above the competition when it comes to build quality, aesthetics and performance.

attackpoints

Here are a few posts re: usage. I don't own a nomad/toad myself, but I just went through to read about technique awhile ago.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
@Dan Morrison Have you ever looked into getting a CNC router. it would make short work of the bottom milling, and the cutouts for the springs, etc. may require some hand sanding finishing, but the rough work would be pretty fast.

i would be happy to do a dump of all i have worked out. i have an Excel spreadsheet that creates the GCODE. couldn't be simpler. no cost. i can tell you what works and how to get it going ... my motto: let the robot do it.

seriousTone

If you've ever used a log vape, from what I understand, this thing delivers performance like a portable one.

And yes you're "suppose" to just hold the button down for the entirety of the hit. Using pre heat time and inhale speed to control temp.

Which excites me greatly.

seriousTone

I agree that this is very similar to a portable log vape, now that I think about it @xtraclipsforxtrashit. It might be why I enjoy it so much.
Same, I meant the portable log vape aspect excites me greatly in my previous post.

Loved the log but couldn't get over the unwieldy cable. Throw in Dan's master craftsmanship and what other vape could you need? ----none for me is what I'm guessing.

Top Bottom