• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Nomad From Morwood

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Part 2.

@xtraclipsforxtrashit That Okin video is amazing dude!! Loved it! It makes the whole process seem very meditative, haha. I forgot how cool that Okin was.... Maybe I should break it out again for a session.

DSCF7113.jpg

DSCF7114.jpg

DSCF7115.jpg

DSCF7117.jpg

DSCF7118.jpg

DSCF7119.jpg

DSCF7120.jpg

DSCF7121.jpg

DSCF7122.jpg

DSCF7123.jpg

DSCF7124.jpg

DSCF7126.jpg

DSCF7128.jpg

seriousTone

@xtraclipsforxtrashit Really well done, man! It was a little long, but as someone who was too late to get an Okin and would have loved to get in on it, I would have been happy to see even more. :love:

…also, as a bit of a filmmaker myself, I wanted to say your shots are nice and I think you show what it is and how it works pretty well. I hope we see some similarly cool shots of your Nomad…minus the flames. :lol:
Thanks dude. Jesus, after re-watching it so many times and it finally being what I thought was perfect...I just re-watched again and noticed some of the audio in a few of the shots somehow desynced :doh: how annoying and disappointing.

I figured this would be a good practice run for the Nomad video so I'm hoping there will be cool shots. Although the flame and charcoal was a really neat surprise with how that looked so will be hard to top. Especially those little flame puffs that come out of the tip. Never/ could never have ever noticed that without filming it.
@xtraclipsforxtrashit That Okin video is amazing dude!! Loved it! It makes the whole process seem very meditative, haha. I forgot how cool that Okin was.... Maybe I should break it out again for a session.
Thanks glad you enjoyed it! and yeah you should definitely give your Okin a little love at some point.

But those Nomad II's WOW

EDIT:
New link..hehe :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Not gonna lie, this is making me a bit jealous. Paid for mine 6ish months ago and work hasn't started yet. I know I'll get it sooner than most, but still, wish one of these was mine!
Patience is a virtue. I paid in June of last year and my wood has just arrived. Thankfully, we've got plenty of time in the world :)

That being said, I'm gonna cry and maybe pee a little when I get mine so the excitement is understandable

PossumMD

I paid end of June last year... Although, I was confused about this last time and work wasn't gonna start on mine til the start of this year. So, who knows...

PossumMD,

Hagbard Celine

Always super excited to see photos of new Nomads!!! But that reaction is always followed by the same questions of wanting to know/verify every type of wood and button being used on these.

This helps so SO MUCH when dreaming up our new nomads. Can that info get added to the post? It helps when you can find the info near the pictures so you don’t have to figure out which one people are talking about.

Last edited:

SloJimFizz

Unknown Member
Most of those are still from batch 1 of the Nomad II's I believe. Mine is in that group and looks stunning.
For perspective on wait times, I paid in 10/19. But I was also slated for a 1 when the II's were thought of, so naturally I opted to wait for the second version. The wait times for the newer people won't be as long, since less R&D to go through,but there's a lot of Nomads in front of you. Plus Toads........

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Most of those are still from batch 1 of the Nomad II's I believe. Mine is in that group and looks stunning.
For perspective on wait times, I paid in 10/19. But I was also slated for a 1 when the II's were thought of, so naturally I opted to wait for the second version. The wait times for the newer people won't be as long, since less R&D to go through,but there's a lot of Nomads in front of you. Plus Toads........
#123 here hoping there's under 100 left before mine

Zuhdj,

PossumMD

I'm #126, and was under the impression our batch was starting when the last batch was done.

PossumMD,

flammy

Yeah, me too, I think. :rofl:

I'm in batch 1 and see mine...and oh man, stunning. I also paid around the same time and I am super excited to have mine sometime soon. It indeed has been a little bit of a wait but Dan has not only been working on nailing down the processes to be more efficient for future Nomad 2 batches, he has also had to contend with custom Nomad 1s from batch 4 which had an unreal amount of custom painted sleeves. I believe there were quite a few folks who switched from standard Japanese paper wrap to a custom painted sleeve when it was announced that batch 4 was the last batch. Being that Dan likes to please his customers, he obliged and it resulted in a larger work load.

I also don't foresee future batches of Nomad 2s taking this long and being a part of batch 1, I personally know how hard it can be to wait. That said, as someone who already owns a Nomad 1, I knew the wait would be worthwhile especially given the improvements that was made to the Nomad 2. Ultimately, its a one-man operation (with a little help from his partner) that is hand-crafting bespoke devices with extremely high quality standards. I know it can be tough but try to be patient....it'll be worth it.

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
I'm #126, and was under the impression our batch was starting when the last batch was done.
Were you given a number when you signed up for the list? I don’t recall that being given to me when I signed up, all I know is that I’m way in the back of the line.

CanikUser19,

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
Were you given a number when you signed up for the list?
IIRC, Dan posted several pages back that order numbers don’t necessarily correspond to a place in line. I think they’re mostly for bookkeeping.

My number is lower and I paid earlier than some people in batch 2 but I am in batch 3 for sure.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Just to clear up any confusion. The photos I just posted are of the remaining Batch 1 Nomad IIs. I sent out the first part of this batch last year. I tried to break the batch up into smaller chunks to see if it would speed things up. Turns out that working in larger batches was still the better way, so I just went ahead and finished the rest of Batch 1 as a group.

Batch 2 has slowly started in the background, as there are a few things I like to do ahead of time to set up a batch. I started Batch 2 updates in the fall, with the hope that Batch 1 would soon be finished and I could then start on Batch 2 full-time. The finishing of Batch 1 has taken longer than I thought, but I continued with smaller Batch 2 updates. The majority of my time has been spent on the completion of Batch 1. I'm pushing to send of these remaining Batch 1's out this month, and then I can move on to full-time work on Batch 2.

Batch 3 Nomad IIs will start once Batch 2 is complete. Though, the woods are all here and ready.

I stopped taking Nomad II orders a long time ago, there are no more orders after Batch 3. Until I fully catch up, I will not be taking new Nomad II orders.

___

Here, I'll explain a bit about why Batch 1 took so long, and why you can expect the next two batches to go much faster.

Batch 1 was not only the largest batch, but also it was where I had to make multiple design tweaks, machine setups, jigs... and the most time consuming part of figuring out the most efficient batch production methods.

@flammy is also correct in that at the time I was finishing an unexpectedly large number of custom painted Nomad I sleeves that ended up consuming around 6 months of time that I did not account for.

Much of the crafting processes for Batch 1 ended up taking so much longer than expected. It forced me to re-evaluate and come up with better solutions.

A good example of this is the shaping of the bodies, taking them from rectangular forms into the rounded and bevelled final shapes. The first part of Batch 1 was completed by hand with files, rasps, sandpaper sticks, chisels, and hand planes. This ended up taking over a month of time to complete. For the rest of Batch 1, I was able to use a sanding machine that I had built to help me with the shaping. Using this machine (once I was well practiced) I was able to condense a month or more long process into three days, quite an astonishing difference. And most importantly, the quality of the end results were identical.

This is just one of many improvements I've been able to make to help speed up the process. While my original time estimate for Batch 1 was way off the mark, I've been trying my absolute best to deliver on the quality craftsmanship that is expected from the Nomad series.

Now that all of Batch 1 is almost done, and Batch 2 has had a head start, I'm certain things will run much smoother from here on out.

So far, the crafting of Batch 2 has felt like a night and day difference compared to Batch 1. Once I am able to dedicate my full time schedule to Batch 2, things are going to really pick up speed.

After the Nomad IIs, I am revamping the way I take orders so that time delays like this can never happen again. The Nomad IIs were a very hard lesson for me.

___

@cx714 is correct, order numbers are not serial numbers, or an accurate indication of your place in line. They are just for my own organization.

@Zuhdj There are much less than 100 left to make in total, including your batch.

@CanikUser19 When you sign up for the waitlist, you are not given a number, so you're all good there! A number is given when you create an official custom order.

This is still correct, you are in Batch 3. I have an update email for Batch 3 going out today.

I know it's rather confusing... but in short, Batch 1 took way longer than I thought, that pushed back both Batch 2 and 3... and now that Batch 1 is near completion, I'll finally be able to catch up.

jbm

Just to clear up any confusion. The photos I just posted are of the remaining Batch 1 Nomad IIs. I sent out the first part of this batch last year. I tried to break the batch up into smaller chunks to see if it would speed things up. Turns out that working in larger batches was still the better way, so I just went ahead and finished the rest of Batch 1 as a group.

Batch 2 has slowly started in the background, as there are a few things I like to do ahead of time to set up a batch. I started Batch 2 updates in the fall, with the hope that Batch 1 would soon be finished and I could then start on Batch 2 full-time. The finishing of Batch 1 has taken longer than I thought, but I continued with smaller Batch 2 updates. The majority of my time has been spent on the completion of Batch 1. I'm pushing to send of these remaining Batch 1's out this month, and then I can move on to full-time work on Batch 2.

Batch 3 Nomad IIs will start once Batch 2 is complete. Though, the woods are all here and ready.

I stopped taking Nomad II orders a long time ago, there are no more orders after Batch 3. Until I fully catch up, I will not be taking new Nomad II orders.

___

Here, I'll explain a bit about why Batch 1 took so long, and why you can expect the next two batches to go much faster.

Batch 1 was not only the largest batch, but also it was where I had to make multiple design tweaks, machine setups, jigs... and the most time consuming part of figuring out the most efficient batch production methods.

@flammy is also correct in that at the time I was finishing an unexpectedly large number of custom painted Nomad I sleeves that ended up consuming around 6 months of time that I did not account for.

Much of the crafting processes for Batch 1 ended up taking so much longer than expected. It forced me to re-evaluate and come up with better solutions.

A good example of this is the shaping of the bodies, taking them from rectangular forms into the rounded and bevelled final shapes. The first part of Batch 1 was completed by hand with files, rasps, sandpaper sticks, chisels, and hand planes. This ended up taking over a month of time to complete. For the rest of Batch 1, I was able to use a sanding machine that I had built to help me with the shaping. Using this machine (once I was well practiced) I was able to condense a month or more long process into three days, quite an astonishing difference. And most importantly, the quality of the end results were identical.

This is just one of many improvements I've been able to make to help speed up the process. While my original time estimate for Batch 1 was way off the mark, I've been trying my absolute best to deliver on the quality craftsmanship that is expected from the Nomad series.

Now that all of Batch 1 is almost done, and Batch 2 has had a head start, I'm certain things will run much smoother from here on out.

So far, the crafting of Batch 2 has felt like a night and day difference compared to Batch 1. Once I am able to dedicate my full time schedule to Batch 2, things are going to really pick up speed.

After the Nomad IIs, I am revamping the way I take orders so that time delays like this can never happen again. The Nomad IIs were a very hard lesson for me.

___

@cx714 is correct, order numbers are not serial numbers, or an accurate indication of your place in line. They are just for my own organization.

@Zuhdj There are much less than 100 left to make in total, including your batch.

@CanikUser19 When you sign up for the waitlist, you are not given a number, so you're all good there! A number is given when you create an official custom order.

This is still correct, you are in Batch 3. I have an update email for Batch 3 going out today.

I know it's rather confusing... but in short, Batch 1 took way longer than I thought, that pushed back both Batch 2 and 3... and now that Batch 1 is near completion, I'll finally be able to catch up.
Thanks, Dan. This is the kind of transparency and forthrightness other “makers” in this space would do well to emulate.

Top Bottom