• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Nomad From Morwood

NOLOGO

Picking the look from the word was both easy and hard. I tend towards lighter and warmer wood colors but the African Blackwood really seemed to jump out and it turned out so amazing. I bet yours will be stunning. I happened to like the more subtle textures in the darker wood for the main body. Enjoy. I really enjoy seeing all the choices people made. It’s so amazing what two wood varieties produce in terms of visual impact. A lot of it is the craftsman that turns the wood blocks into art sculptures!!!!

😎
I agree. The African Blackwood and Spalted Tamarind seem to match up nicely. Of course Dan has a hand in that with his incredible eye for detail.
Here's a shot of mine from a couple months ago You have to use your imagination about the final curvatures and polishing though. Hopefully we'll see those details soon!! 🤞🏻
(click the pic to see the whole piece)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210405-130845.jpg
    Screenshot_20210405-130845.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 62

madhockeydad

Art is beauty
I agree. The African Blackwood and Spalted Tamarind seem to match up nicely. Of course Dan has a hand in that with his incredible eye for detail.
Here's a shot of mine from a couple months ago You have to use your imagination about the final curvatures and polishing though. Hopefully we'll see those details soon!! 🤞🏻
(click the pic to see the whole piece)
I tried to comment earlier but with some typos - the different woods really pair up and give very different looks and feels. I think that's way cool. I've really enjoyed seeing all the different selections. For me that's a big part of the fun. I wish everyone that is about to receive theirs - all the best and enjoy big time!! I'll definitely be using mine and thinking of Dan and the team here.

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
Nice. I’m in for that exact combo in the next batch. :tup:

Love the way the spalting picks up the dark tones of the blackwood. And with the personality the spalting gives, even the exact combo might feel totally different.

Vaporware

Have I sent you @madhockeydad ’s new address yet…? :ninja:

parks and recreation thats funny GIF

steal GIF

kadjo

Damn beautiful! Nomad 2 really showcases the wood in an awesome way, and Dan is so experienced at treating his wood to such a high quality level. I'm really excited for you first nomad 2ers to receive them.
Just want to acknowledge you @namasteIII Your posts here are always thoughtful and kind.

Felt like an emoji was shorting you the proper recognition.

👊🏾👊🏾👊🏾

seriousTone

I hope when these first batch go out people will be more active in posting pics and whatnot of them in use more often.

I know I'm going to.

I would still do it in the Okin forum but I'm like the only one haha. Love using that thing.

That walnut is something else, really nice Nomad @namasteIII

Wouldn't have thought I'd go for that, @madhockeydad but DAMN that thing is noce!

Last edited:

madhockeydad

Art is beauty
I hope when these first batch go out people will be more active in posting pics and whatnot of them in use more often.

I know I'm going to.

I would still do it in the Okin forum but I'm like the only one haha. Love using that thing.

Wouldn't have thought I'd go for that, @madhockeydad but DAMN that thing is noce!
Dan’s work is incredible. The choice of woods is incredible so it’s possible to get a huge variety of styles. I really like the African Blackwood. It does look beautiful. I’m very lucky.
Enjoy.

flammy

I know I'm going to.

I am low on charcoals but have some on order that should be arriving with my Nomad. As soon as that happens, I'll be busting out the Okin again. See you in the forum soon.

Speaking of Nomads...where are the rest of the photos? @Dan Morrison, you sir are a tease. Give us more pics!

seriousTone

I am low on charcoals but have some on order that should be arriving with my Nomad. As soon as that happens, I'll be busting out the Okin again. See you in the forum soon.
Oh damn nice!

You just reminded me, I was thinking about ordering more charcoals as well with my Nomad. But then I decided on trying my hand at making my own. I was going to find myself a small empty paint can to use and then forgot all about it.

More often than not I have to use two charcoals in order to fully extract a load so was thinking of making the charcoals 1".

madhockeydad

Art is beauty

I know I'm going to.

Hi

It turned out incredibly well. I'm feeling pretty fortunate. I'll definitely post unboxing and first use photos when it arrives. It's exciting to see the process and what the results look like now that it's all coming together. Very cool.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@flammy Coming, later today...posssibly tomorrow if things take longer than I expect (we all know my track record here!). I'm getting some video as well...just to switch things up. The chatoyancy of some of these woods just needs video to properly show it off.

@xtraclipsforxtrashit I originally intended for people to be able to make their own charcoals, but after more experience I came to realize that the results may not be acceptable...depending on a lot of factors.

The Okin charcoals I ended up producing are pretty unique. They're made at a very high temperature (unlike pretty much any charcoal available, other than Japanese Binchotan), but...you can't just shoot for a screaming hot temp, because there is a point where the charcoal becomes almost like pure crystalline carbon, and it starts to become very hard to light and keep lit.

Also, the vessel should be steel, or stainless steel, without any contamination. It's possible that old steel vessels (like paint cans) have a coating, solder, or some kind of plating on the inside. The volatiles from these contaminants would likely be driven out by the time the charcoal reaches final temp, but it's best to avoid it all together, since charcoal is very absorbent and will suck in airborne contaminants just like active carbon (which is essentially very similar to a high temp charcoal).

I tested longer charcoals, there is a point where it becomes too long to work effectively at the start of the burn. Also, when wood turns into charcoal it shrinks, a lot. If the length is greater than the diameter, you'll have a poor yield due to cracking and major distortion. I find it's best to stick to about the same length as the diameter so that the pieces of wood shrink evenly.

Anyhow, I made a batch a few months ago and have plenty to go around if anyone needs it!

____

Okin II - I get asked allll the time if there will ever be a re-run of the Okin, or an Okin II. And every few months I get out my sketchbook to tease out more designs. I've gone through several prototypes in the last couple years, just testing the waters.

My most recent design that I thought had some promise is sort of interesting. It's basically a little wand type handle, sort of like a dab tool, not much bigger than a short pencil. This wooden wand has a little bit on the end that sticks into the charcoal and holds it firmly. Now you've got a little wand with a glowing charcoal on the end.

I made a matching bowl, not much different than a typical pipe bowl, that has an inlet that's a little larger than the charcoal. You simply use the pipe while holding the charcoal just inside of the inlet. It's sort of like a sticky brick in that you're holding a heat source at the opening of an air inlet. The difference is that the opening of said inlet only needs to be about 10mm away from the herb load, so you can make the entire inlet/bowl very compact.

I was thinking of bringing back some of my more "pipe" styled pieces to be used with the charcoal wand, for a totally old-school analog experience.

I also made a glass bowl/inlet, which is pretty cool because you can watch the herb while you're inhaling..which pretty much guarantees that you'll never combust.

Another cool thing is that this method seems to be a very effective use of heat, so the charcoals can actually be used several times for multiple micro-dose sessions per charcoal. I think you could get about 3-4 bowls out of a single charcoal.

What's holding me back from going further is the fact that, performance wise, the Nomad/Toad platform still outpaces the charcoal in terms of ease of use. The charcoals still require prepping, lighting, and technique to use properly... where as the Nomad/Toad is just so simple and quick.

I also know that this style will always be very niche due to the stigma of charcoal itself. I wouldn't feel comfortable marketing this product to just anyone... since there are dangers that go along with the charcoals... fire hazard, and if you don't prep them properly, dust hazard.

I still think it would be a fun project, and I know I could improve ease of use with some further tweaking of the inlet and heat diffuser, but with so much on my plate these days I'm trying not to take on anything until I have more free time! haha.

You guys can let me know how you feel about it.... perhaps the enthusiasm will build for it and I'll have no choice!

madhockeydad

Art is beauty
I love the enthusiasm. Dan will laugh at my pragmatism that too many irons in the fire doesn’t lead to more results only more burned stuff and … other things to like loss of time etc. It’s an interesting balance building new and innovative stuff out into the market. It’s super cool. I’m impressed by your work and detail. Incredible and the thirst for knowledge is great. Testing and verifying. I can’t wait for my Nomad. It’ll probably make me want more from Dan.
Hey Dan - do need a helper? Now that’s a gig I’d love. I’m happy to take care of all the mundane tasks!!!!

madhockeydad,

mourningbell

Certified human
I still think it would be a fun project, and I know I could improve ease of use with some further tweaking of the inlet and heat diffuser, but with so much on my plate these days I'm trying not to take on anything until I have more free time! haha.

You guys can let me know how you feel about it.... perhaps the enthusiasm will build for it and I'll have no choice!
My money's in on anything you pursue :bowdown: loving my Nomad right now, will likely hop on the Nomad II train sometime within a year. I was using Samsung 25R 20A batteries with my Nomad since I got it and only recently upgraded--these 30A Molicel batteries are definitely where it's at! And the new chamber design for the stems is amazing--easier loading and unloading really led to me using this more. :D

I think I'm going to grab the cheapest bottle of wine from Aldi soon, not for the purpose of drinking, but for the purpose of making a cork airflow restrictor for the bottom of the Nomad. I find the airflow a bit too open for my used-to-a-totally-closed-Omni-XL lungs.. especially in the case of using the Nomad through a bong.

Otherwise I have no qualms!! My sleeve has worn quite a bit, so I will try my hand at repainting it in my own style sometime down the road. Here are some beauty shots:

20210611-110112.jpg

20210611-110135.jpg

20210531-175253.jpg

20210531-175340.jpg

20210531-175130.jpg

20210531-175100.jpg

20210531-175026.jpg

20210611-114207.jpg

20210611-114007.jpg
20210611-113929.jpg

BeeSawd

Okin II - I get asked allll the time if there will ever be a re-run of the Okin, or an Okin II. And every few months I get out my sketchbook to tease out more designs. I've gone through several prototypes in the last couple years, just testing the waters.

My most recent design that I thought had some promise is sort of interesting. It's basically a little wand type handle, sort of like a dab tool, not much bigger than a short pencil. This wooden wand has a little bit on the end that sticks into the charcoal and holds it firmly. Now you've got a little wand with a glowing charcoal on the end.

I made a matching bowl, not much different than a typical pipe bowl, that has an inlet that's a little larger than the charcoal. You simply use the pipe while holding the charcoal just inside of the inlet. It's sort of like a sticky brick in that you're holding a heat source at the opening of an air inlet. The difference is that the opening of said inlet only needs to be about 10mm away from the herb load, so you can make the entire inlet/bowl very compact.

I was thinking of bringing back some of my more "pipe" styled pieces to be used with the charcoal wand, for a totally old-school analog experience.

I also made a glass bowl/inlet, which is pretty cool because you can watch the herb while you're inhaling..which pretty much guarantees that you'll never combust.

Another cool thing is that this method seems to be a very effective use of heat, so the charcoals can actually be used several times for multiple micro-dose sessions per charcoal. I think you could get about 3-4 bowls out of a single charcoal.

What's holding me back from going further is the fact that, performance wise, the Nomad/Toad platform still outpaces the charcoal in terms of ease of use. The charcoals still require prepping, lighting, and technique to use properly... where as the Nomad/Toad is just so simple and quick.

I also know that this style will always be very niche due to the stigma of charcoal itself. I wouldn't feel comfortable marketing this product to just anyone... since there are dangers that go along with the charcoals... fire hazard, and if you don't prep them properly, dust hazard.

Another chance for the Okin would be AMAZING!

Top Bottom