• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Nomad From Morwood

lieutenantlemons

I finally got around to testing out my Nomad. I was on a job search and was scared of a potential drug test (why do these even exist in legal states?) so I just now got to testing it and oh boy is it my new favorite right off the bat.

Firstly, the thing is more beautiful in person; pictures do not do it justice (I'll post pics as soon as I can). The utter amount of care and craftsmanship here cannot be understated.
And to top that off, it hits like a tank. Equal parts form and function.

I got some of those new capsules as well and they work incredibly well. I tried fitting my own screens into the stem for a total of like 2 minutes before ultimately giving up and going for the capsule and was not disappointed. Easy to load, and everything vapes extremely evenly.

@Dan Morrison Any chance you can make some sort of more portable capsule solution? Maybe a capsule magazine similar to the S&B Mighty one? Or a deeper capsule to fit more herb for going out/sharing?

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@lieutenantlemons , Awesome! Great to hear your experience. :)

One thing to note, if you have let the Nomad sit idle for more than a few weeks, it's a good idea to clean around the heater module hole with a pencil eraser till the lip of the hole, where it touches the stainless heater module shell, is bright and shiny.

"Wetting Current" is the minimum amount of current required to break through surface oxides. Bronze, the metal I used for the electrical contact, oxidizes relatively quickly in air. The longer you leave the Nomad un-used, the more current is required to break through the surface film. This results in higher resistance at the contact point, giving you a cooler vape than normal.

If used regularly, the contact is electrically cleaned on its own, and cleaning should not be required for around 6 months, give or take.

In the Nomad II's, the contact metals were changed to something that doesn't oxidize as quickly to remedy the above.

@Dan Morrison Any chance you can make some sort of more portable capsule solution? Maybe a capsule magazine similar to the S&B Mighty one? Or a deeper capsule to fit more herb for going out/sharing?

I'm currently working on the design of said capsule magazine. It's going to be made from wood, pocketable, and holds 6 - 7 capsules. Each capsule will be held in it's own little hole, air tight, sealed off from the other capsules. So smells will migrate less between different capsules. I'd like to also add little color coded dots to each capsule hole to help identify which capsule holds which strain. I would love to load this thing with a mixture of THC, CBD, and mixed THC/CBD capsule loads to use at different times of the day.

I'm hoping I can incorporate a bamboo pick/scooper into either the fabric Nomad case, or the capsule magazine. It'd be held on by a cord, which would also be usable to hold wooden "vape pets" as was discussed in a previous post.

This same cord can also be used to tie both the Nomad case and capsule magazine together so that the entire package can be tossed into a backpack or coat pocket. I'm really trying to make it into an all-in-one portable unit

_____

As for making the capsules deeper, I do think that they can be deeper than they are now... but there is a point where you don't want to make the bowl too much deeper than the diameter, or you'll start to get uneven AVB near the bottom of the herb chamber. I sort of went with a safe depth in the anticipation that having multiple capsules in the future would ultimately provide a better experience. I'd rather do two capsules vs. one deep capsule. Because of how I imagine making the capsule magazine, the capsules themselves need to all be the exact same height.

NOLOGO

@lieutenantlemons , Awesome! Great to hear your experience. :)

One thing to note, if you have let the Nomad sit idle for more than a few weeks, it's a good idea to clean around the heater module hole with a pencil eraser till the lip of the hole, where it touches the stainless heater module shell, is bright and shiny.

"Wetting Current" is the minimum amount of current required to break through surface oxides. Bronze, the metal I used for the electrical contact, oxidizes relatively quickly in air. The longer you leave the Nomad un-used, the more current is required to break through the surface film. This results in higher resistance at the contact point, giving you a cooler vape than normal.

If used regularly, the contact is electrically cleaned on its own, and cleaning should not be required for around 6 months, give or take.

In the Nomad II's, the contact metals were changed to something that doesn't oxidize as quickly to remedy the above.

I'm currently working on the design of said capsule magazine. It's going to be made from wood, pocketable, and holds 6 - 7 capsules. Each capsule will be held in it's own little hole, air tight, sealed off from the other capsules. So smells will migrate less between different capsules. I'd like to also add little color coded dots to each capsule hole to help identify which capsule holds which strain. I would love to load this thing with a mixture of THC, CBD, and mixed THC/CBD capsule loads to use at different times of the day.

I'm hoping I can incorporate a bamboo pick/scooper into either the fabric Nomad case, or the capsule magazine. It'd be held on by a cord, which would also be usable to hold wooden "vape pets" as was discussed in a previous post.

This same cord can also be used to tie both the Nomad case and capsule magazine together so that the entire package can be tossed into a backpack or coat pocket. I'm really trying to make it into an all-in-one portable unit

_____

As for making the capsules deeper, I do think that they can be deeper than they are now... but there is a point where you don't want to make the bowl too much deeper than the diameter, or you'll start to get uneven AVB near the bottom of the herb chamber. I sort of went with a safe depth in the anticipation that having multiple capsules in the future would ultimately provide a better experience. I'd rather do two capsules vs. one deep capsule. Because of how I imagine making the capsule magazine, the capsules themselves need to all be the exact same height.
YES! I love this! I keep my herb ground in test tubes at home, so I'd love that same convenience when out. PERFECT!! thanks Dan!!

Vaporware

That’s great! After seeing the new capsules I’d been considering bringing a capsule holder up again, so I’m glad to hear that’s already this far along! I’d been thinking about a tube where they’d be stacked because it would be simple, but separate compartments is even better.

If it’s easy enough to safely get one out/back in (maybe even pressing down with the stem to pick the capsule up?), it might be the best system I’ve seen for this. :)

Glad you’re getting along with yours @lieutenantlemons - looking forward to hearing more from you after more use and from others who haven’t shared their thoughts yet!

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !

Outstanding idea!

Personally I don't tend to get out and hike as much as I used to, due to my health, but for those who still do get out and about the magazine sounds like a must-have accessory for their Nomads!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Here's some photos of the latest case prototype, I think it's pretty much there now. This fabric is organic cotton. Dyed with myrobalan (ground nuts of the Terminalia chebula tree). A heavier weight outer shell with a finer weave cotton inner. The entire case is padded with cotton batting. The corners and sides are padded enough so that it would provide a good amount of protection.

It holds it's shape nicely, but it still feels plush. I wanted to contrast the soft organic vibe of the case with the hard gem-like quality of the Nomads. I liked the idea of the case looking/feleing like a little pillow of moss

I've got some different ideas for the cord, toggle, and bamboo pick/spoon... but so far this is what I've got goin' on. I'd like to get some flat cord and dye the cord the same colours as the fabrics, so I could offer two-tone cases by mixing and matching the colour of the cord to the case. I also like the idea of entirely monotone designs where the cord matches the case. Either way, we got options!

The wooden toggle could go in pretty much any direction... but right now I like this rectangular sort of Star Warsy lookin' thing.

Bamboo pick is shown here merely tucked under the cord... but I do think it needs it's own little pocket, or maybe it's attached to the cord in some way.

For my colour line-up, I'm thinkin'; Myrobalan - Soft yellow/green, Kakishibu - Rusty Browns, Indigo - Blues, Weld - vivid yellows, and forest greens when overdyed with indigo, Iron - greys, dark greens.

Open to thoughts/suggestions!

DSCF1529.jpg

DSCF1534.jpg

DSCF1538.jpg

DSCF1542.jpg

DSCF1545.jpg

DSCF1547.jpg

DSCF1550.jpg

DSCF1552.jpg

DSCF1555.jpg

DSCF1550.jpg

DSCF1552.jpg

DSCF1567.jpg

Last edited:

NOLOGO

Here's some photos of the latest case prototype, I think it's pretty much there now. This fabric is organic cotton. Dyed with myrobalan (ground nuts of the Terminalia chebula tree). A heavier weight outer shell with a finer weave cotton inner. The entire case is padded with cotton batting. The corners and sides are padded enough so that it would provide a good amount of protection.

It holds it's shape nicely, but it still feels plush. I wanted to contrast the soft organic vibe of the case with the hard gem-like quality of the Nomads. I liked the idea of the case looking/feleing like a little pillow of moss

I've got some different ideas for the cord, toggle, and bamboo pick/spoon... but so far this is what I've got goin' on. I'd like to get some flat cord and dye the cord the same colours as the fabrics, so I could offer two-tone cases by mixing and matching the colour of the cord to the case. I also like the idea of entirely monotone designs where the cord matches the case. Either way, we got options!

The wooden toggle could go in pretty much any direction... but right now I like this rectangular sort of Star Warsy lookin' thing.

Bamboo pick is shown here merely tucked under the cord... but I do think it needs it's own little pocket, or maybe it's attached to the cord in some way.

For my colour line-up, I'm thinkin'; Myrobalan - Soft yellow/green, Kakishibu - Rusty Browns, Indigo - Blues, Weld - vivid yellows, and forest greens when overdyed with indigo, Iron - greys, dark greens.

View attachment 1976

View attachment 1977

View attachment 1978

View attachment 1979

View attachment 1980

View attachment 1981

View attachment 1982

View attachment 1983

View attachment 1984

View attachment 1982

View attachment 1983

View attachment 1985
Outstanding!! @Dan Morrison I would like to add a case and a capsule magazine/capsules to my nomad II order. Will I have a chance to add them to my order beforehand or are these things that will be completed after the first batch?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

View attachment 1976

View attachment 1977

View attachment 1978

View attachment 1979

View attachment 1980

View attachment 1981

View attachment 1982

View attachment 1983

View attachment 1984

View attachment 1982

View attachment 1983

View attachment 1985

:whoa: amazingly awesome as always:love:

SquirrelMaster

Here's a mockup of the Nomad II design I went for, in case anyone is interested:
22.jpg

I was trying to go for a classy look, and I love african blackwood, so the choice was simple.

I'm still super excited to get it! From what the latest email said, building should maybe begin in autumn.

Very nice, super clean. What's that button? I love the splash of color it adds.
heres my mock-up from Dan.
spalted tamarind, with African wood accents, lichen button. I'm batch 1, #18. Can't wait!!View attachment 1830

The spalted body looks great, it reminds me of an earlier Milaana I've always lusted over but wasn't able to get. Excellent choice!

View attachment 1829View attachment 1829Heres my mock up from Dan! Im in batch 2, cant wait!!

"What daddy?" said my 3 year old after I dropped an F bomb when I scrolled to your picture. Wow!

Those cases look great @Dan Morrison they fit the aesthetics of the Nomad very well.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
The spalted body looks great, it reminds me of an earlier Milaana I've always lusted over but wasn't able to get. Excellent choice!

Haha we so think alike, I also wish I had snagged a spalted maple Mi back then, but will "settle" for this spalted tamarind :nod:

Seeing that on the previous page made it an easy choice for me without knowing all other options, even though I probably have another year or so before I'll have to decide? :haw:

Last edited:

Kinick23

@Dan Morrison great looking case, form and function fit perfectly with the nomad vibe. Some thoughts I had were making the green cord shorter so there isn’t as much slack once you fasten it through, agree the pick should have its own slot, and the kicker which is excessive but awesome would be to pair one of those vape pet you mentioned some pages back as either the fastener or perhaps dangling from green cord. Maybe a standard vape pet for all so easier to produce or a diff vape pet per color scheme!

Kinick23,

papertripping

I've been a fan of the nomad ever since @Dan Morrison posted his first concept art here. It's incredible what this device has turned out to be- and this forum thread more so!
However It's been a while since i visited here and i cant seem to find info on this thread about how can i put myself on the current wait list to have my self my very own Nomad . How do i place an order? @Dan Morrison do i need to e-mail you?

Vaporware

@Dan Morrison The case looks nice! Indigo/Iron sounds like a good combination to me. I’m not too familiar with all of the dyes you’re talking about, but in case you’ve never looked into it you might also try plugging “mushroom dye” and maybe also “mycopigments” into a search engine for another interesting option. :)

I’m sure you’ve already thought about most of what I have to say, but in case it gives you any ideas or helps us understand the case better I think it’s worth a few comments and questions.

1. I agree the pick/spoon needs to be at least mostly contained in a pocket. Even if it were attached to the cord it looks like it would be easy to break if it’s not up against something thicker like the Nomad.

2. I’m guessing the spoon is the right size to load a stem?

The lack of side walls makes me worry it would spill easily, but I’m guessing it must work at least reasonably well and I’m sure it’s easier to make this way.

3. Can you tell us a bit about how tight the case is? If it’s easy to get out but doesn’t easily fall out these next two points don’t matter.

A) If it’s very tight and takes some work to get the Nomad out, it might be good to leave a slit on the top of one side and secure it with the cord or something to keep it in and still let you remove it easily.

B) If it’s loose enough that the Nomad just slides out, does the flap/cord combo make it pretty secure, or might the cord slide up or down and let the Nomad slide out?

Does it possibly need a loop or something to keep it on the case?

4. The wooden toggle looks great! Any more details about its functionality?

Does it grip at some point and hold tight, or does it always slide easily? If it slides easily, does the cord fall off much, or does the cord/case friction keep it in place pretty well?

5. How do you see the capsule holder fitting into this? Hanging loose on the cord might work, a pocket for it may or may not depending on its size...maybe a strip of metal in the side of the case and magnets on the back of the capsule holder (or vice versa) to keep it in place and out of a pocket? It could probably be on the cord too.

That might also work for the pick if you did both sides of the case (or any two appropriate spots), but this may not be the easiest way to go...

Doing that for the pick would also leave it relatively vulnerable if it wasn’t inside the case at all, but a partial pocket and a magnet could be good. It could also attach to the capsule holder if it was the right size...lots of options! :sherlock:

6. Would a (pluggable?) air intake hole in the bottom allow you to use it even with the case on, or would that be a bad idea?

It seems like in cold places, when a little more stealth is required, or when you just want one quick draw that might be a good option.

Regardless of any of that, it looks good and I’m onboard for whatever version of it you go with. :D

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@VaporWare

Great questions!

Many of these can be answered with the simple fact that what I showed was partially unfinished.

1. Agreed!

2. Yes, it will be.

3. The case is tight enough so that the Nomad doesn't fall out on it's own. You simply "push pop" the nomad out by pressing your thumb on the bottom of the case. It's not an obvious technique, but works a treat. The flap is very secure once the toggle is tightened up.

4. The toggle will just be a rectangular-ish piece of wood with a hole that's tight enough to cause friction on the cotton cord. The toggle pictured here is just want sprang to mind... and actually I cut the hole too big... so it appears loose in the photos.

5. I think that likely you'll want to keep the capsule magazine in one pocket, and the nomad in the other.... distribute the bulk. Tying together may be completely optional.... No room for magnets in my current design... but I do have a new affinity of magnets lately! hmm...

I do have an idea for how to incorporate the pick into the capsule loader as well... and actually it's a little more secure as part of the capsule mag.... so it might work a little better.

6. It's funny you mention that! Actually, no air hole is needed. You can use the Nomad while it's still in the case, the air flows through the fabric with zero restriction. It's like the case isn't there at all. The one big problem with that is.... You really need to "lock" the Nomad before putting it into the case to avoid accidental activation in your pocket. And to "unlock" it, you'll need to take it entirely out of the case anyhow.

I played around with adding a little piece of wood in the flap to cover the button and prevent it from being pressed in... but depending on which orientation you put your Nomad back into the case... it wouldn't be a guaranteed way of ensuring your Nomad is safe. Locking the Nomad itself is the only 100% fool proof way of making sure it can't fire.

Thanks for your input! Much appreciated! :)

Vaporware

@Dan Morrison As expected you’d already thought of most/all of what I asked about, but thanks for the extra info! :lol:

Focusing in on in-case use, if I’d thought about the material more it would have been obvious it didn’t need a hole. :doh: I get that it wouldn’t be completely safe in a pocket while on (or at all safe, depending on the pocket, etc.), but if users had it out but wanted some protection they might still use it in the case, and the wooden button cover could still work in a lot of situations.

Maybe even better than wood in the flap would be a (fabric “hinged”?) wooden square under the flap? With the “hinge” you could open it or slide your thumb under to press the button and still keep it pretty protected. Yes it would only work in one orientation, but it that’s one more orientation than no cover!

I get your reluctance to offer a safety feature that’s not fool-proof, but I think an oversized cover (maybe a square about the size of the block the button’s set in?) could be pretty safe and I’d take that limited protection over never having the option to leave it on even alone in a loose pocket, etc. Since you’re not mass-producing them, it could be optional too.

If you decide to skip it I get it, but I’ve always been interested in ideas that would provide some protection against accidental firing while still allowing it to stay on and ready to go in more situations even if it wouldn’t work for all situations. :)

Vaporware,

Vaporware

@disGRUNTled I’ve been there with Nomad #90 too, but it’s close now and it’s going to be awesome. :rockon:

I think yours is another of the last custom Nomad I sleeves, so I know it will be too. Every one of the recent ones has been amazing!

I think mine might be the last, so is yours on the way or close to being shipped? Can’t wait to see it!

It’s been a long wait for us, but it’s given Dan time to explore a lot of ways of doing this stuff and I think it’s paying off for those of us lucky? enough to be at the tail end of the Nomad 1s. As much as I want to finally have it in my hand, I’m overall glad I didn’t get it too soon.

Right now though I’m standing in the empty pool having my men constantly check my e-mail for new sketches. :rofl:

Top Bottom