The Nomad From Morwood

grokit

well-worn member
Clapton coil I had to look it up :cool:

nWVgjCn.jpg

Marihuana

Iso Tensei
A SiC dish is a vaporization surface meant to be heated from underneath by some means. SiC is short for silicon carbide, a durable material which has good thermal conductivity and makes for tasty dabs. In the image below, the bucket on the left would have an enail coil locked into a slot under the titanium bucket. The dish would be placed inside the bucket, resting at the bottom with no direct contact between it and the coil.

Z1v9bYw.png

RelaxedNow

Thank you, @Marihuana and @grokit, for the SiC info. I'm not really into dabs, so I've not familiar with concentrate devices. Be it weed or alcohol, I lean toward moderation, as my tolerance is pretty low. The last time I did dabs, I was catatonic for 30 minutes, and didn't join the conversation until at least an hour had passed!

natural farmer

The all mighty wave heater.

YLjrTeB.jpg

Now I just have to finish the sleeve and bottom plate and we're pretty much there!

Not sure if it was intended but I can see great benefit coming from the wave pattern getting denser as it spirals from the inner part of the cylinder to the outer edge. It is usual with convection vapes for the outer part of the load, touching the edges of the bowl to get less airflow and heat and the center part to always get darker. Maybe with this design the outer parts of the load get some more heat than the inner parts and we have much more uniform heating... :science::tup::nod::clap:

Was that part of the plan @Dan Morrison ? :brow:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@grokit , The idea with the clapton coil, as far as I understand it, is that it can act as its own wick. The central core carries the current, and the outer small wrapped wire is a heat sink/transfer media. Huge surface area.

@Marihuana , While I completely get how that Liger would be freakin' awesome. I don't think it's possible to match that performance with a single 18650 in a tiny portable. The heat required is just far too great.

That said, it might be possible to do a smaller version of it. I will definitely be experimenting with the SiC dish design. I can see how it would be an idea material for this purpose. Great heat conduction, durable, easy to clean...

@natural farmer, You're totally on the button there my friend!

By having the central terminal post, there is actually a small dead spot at the center of the heater. The "shape" of the heat flowing out of the heater is more like a donut. It's impossible to create a central hot spot with this heater.

By making the heater diameter slightly larger than the chamber diameter, the flow of heat is compressed as it enters the chamber, closing down the central cool spot. The result seems to be what I was after, even heating across the entire surface.

Another thing that I've noticed is the heat control from moving the glass tube up and down. By pulling the stem further out, you will get a much cooler temp vs. having the stem pushed all the way in. This allows to you cancel out the effect of battery drain. Start with your chamber a bit further out and then push it down slightly as your battery gets low.

natural farmer

@grokit , The idea with the clapton coil, as far as I understand it, is that it can act as its own wick. The central core carries the current, and the outer small wrapped wire is a heat sink/transfer media. Huge surface area.

@Marihuana , While I completely get how that Liger would be freakin' awesome. I don't think it's possible to match that performance with a single 18650 in a tiny portable. The heat required is just far too great.

That said, it might be possible to do a smaller version of it. I will definitely be experimenting with the SiC dish design. I can see how it would be an idea material for this purpose. Great heat conduction, durable, easy to clean...

@natural farmer, You're totally on the button there my friend!

By having the central terminal post, there is actually a small dead spot at the center of the heater. The "shape" of the heat flowing out of the heater is more like a donut. It's impossible to create a central hot spot with this heater.

By making the heater diameter slightly larger than the chamber diameter, the flow of heat is compressed as it enters the chamber, closing down the central cool spot. The result seems to be what I was after, even heating across the entire surface.

Another thing that I've noticed is the heat control from moving the glass tube up and down. By pulling the stem further out, you will get a much cooler temp vs. having the stem pushed all the way in. This allows to you cancel out the effect of battery drain. Start with your chamber a bit further out and then push it down slightly as your battery gets low.

Good morning Dan! Love your way of thinking as always! Now get me on that list!!!! :tup:

Marihuana

Iso Tensei
@Dan Morrison - While I've never used many myself, it seems like a lot of concentrate specific 510 vapes are designed to get more than enough power from a single battery. Haven't seen any that incorporate SiC, mostly just ceramic, and I think SiC would be an even better choice for an oven style concentrate vape, especially at low temp!

ZC

This project is coming along very nicely. Really excited for production, I've been sold since it was announced.

My only suggestion at this point would be for the battery hole in the bottom brass plate to be insulated somehow, perhaps a wood ring or even just some felt material. That way if a careless user doesn't notice a tear in their battery wrapping it can't create a short.

Aside from that the design is just incredible. I look forward to not only using this vape but working on it as well, and my mind is already racing with ideas for using the fantastic looking heater module in other projects.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@ZC, thanks man!

I designed this vape so that if that happened, it wouldn't be a short. That would essentially just turn the vape ON. The entire bottom plate is part of the circuit.

@Marihuana , I definitely agree. I was just pointing out that that Liger dish would be comparatively large vs. something I could fit into a heater module.

ZC

Ah yes, short was not the right word in this case. Still though, couldn't it be dangerous if not noticed since it would heat up too much + over discharge the battery? I realize this isn't going to be a common problem but even if an insulating ring stops one malfunction it would be worth it imo.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
@ZC, thanks man!

I designed this vape so that if that happened, it wouldn't be a short. That would essentially just turn the vape ON. The entire bottom plate is part of the circuit.

@Marihuana , I definitely agree. I was just pointing out that that Liger dish would be comparatively large vs. something I could fit into a heater module.
I am not sure what your limits are but a good size IME for a cup or dish would be 15mm tall, 10mm dia at the top larger end and 8mm at the floor.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@ZC, I will be looking at this detail a bit closer. I'll see if I can simulate a fault, and see just how large of a tear it would take. Perhaps a design change is in order, we'll see. I think that I could add a radius to the ID of the brass plate, and make the hole a tiny bit larger than the hole in the wood body. Essentially creating an air gap between the battery and brass, so even without a wrapper they wouldn't be able to touch.

A note about glass stems, I've gone with 14mm OD, 11mm ID.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Is this vape going to be unregulated?

Yes. For now. By keeping it unregulated, you get the tiny size. But, I've designed it so that in the future there could be the possibility for an add-on that provides regulation. This would pretty much double the width of the device and add a second 18650 battery, but could definitely expand the versatility.

A note about the concentrate heater module.

I've had a chance to do some more research/thinking. I don't want the concentrate HM to be an after-thought.

Of course, like any convection vape, you could load your concentrates onto a porous media to be used with the regular convection heater. But I feel like this is not ideal. It's just not an efficient use of battery power, and will result in messy clean-up.

I've taken the SiC recommendations to heart. I dig it.

I am definitely straying from the idea of using a bare coil in direct contact with the concentrate. Uneven heating, mess, short coil life..etc..etc.. No good.

I also don't like the idea of a ceramic donut...coil and rod.. or any of the other variations seen in the most recent wave of concentrate friendly atomizers.

I don't feel like I can power such a heater unregulated and achieve the same quality as a regulated device. So why bother. That's out.

What I AM going for, is a SiC dish, completely isolating the heater coil and concentrate. BUT...with a twist. More on that later!

In the mean time, I'm getting anxious to see the RM-1 with silver metal instead of the brass I've been using for the prototyping. As much as I like brass.. well, it's far too steampunk to fit my futurist, space scavenger, aesthetics.. heh. So I mocked up a few very quick n' dirty shots.

This is roughly what the final version will look like. A thinner bottom plate, 925 Silver replaces all of the brass, oxidized dark gray/black.

5ob8wBW.jpg

1ie2deK.jpg

Much better IMO.

Last edited:

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Loving the modular concept, all these modules sound awesome. So how do I open an account with you? Should I just give you a pot of gold and you keep the modules coming? I mean I guess I can just pay as I go. Put me down for one of everything, including all the stuff you haven't made yet :D

Top Bottom