The Nomad From Morwood

MonkeyTime

Copacetic, what’s that in your avatar? I thought it a Nomad, until I had a closer look.

Monkey Time, you remind me of the old Major Lance tune...the setting of your pic is perfect for your Nomad, they seem much of a piece

There's a place that I know, right up town, if you're ready......are you ready?

When I'm vaping, I'm more of the Major Tom kind I'm thinking :freak:

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Copacetic, what’s that in your avatar? I thought it a Nomad, until I had a closer look.
It's an early concept render done (not by me) for RBT of what would go on to become the Milaana (still tied as my #1 favourite vape alongside the Vapcap).
If the I have an experience of using the Nomad that matches the descriptions posted so far, my top spot may be in contention though!

I wish I could remember who to credit for the render, that's embarrasing :uhoh:

If the artist reads this, I apologise , and please remind me. :doh: (I wanna say @KeroZen or @Shit Snacks, or maybe one of you guys might remember?)

DirtyD

Yeah super impressed by the nomad' s performance. I knew it would be beautiful, but boy oh boy does this thing hit hard. I only have the high heat heater, and wow. Tasty thick strong hits. I did burn a few bowl tops at the beginning ( last sunday) before I had my technique down. Kinda new to full on, un -reg ,on demand convection (except for my lil bud that ive had for a year?) and i just love it. I only use a vap cap and a lil bud and now this awesome little nomad to add to the fam. Oh and I'm gonna use only the nomad for the next however long because of scientific lab testing. Just can't stop being jazzed about this vape. To all the fine folks waiting on a nomad: it's 100% worth the wait. Cheers to all, especially Mr Dan.
D.
Ps- still blown away by by how this vape is built, i.e. no wires and stuff, AND sometimes I just take out the heater podule and marvel at it.... VAS is cured and then some (for the moment). Peace!

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
It's an early concept render done (not by me) for RBT of what would go on to become the Milaana (still tied as my #1 favourite vape alongside the Vapcap).
If the I have an experience of using the Nomad that matches the descriptions posted so far, my top spot may be in contention though!

I wish I could remember who to credit for the render, that's embarrasing :uhoh:

If the artist reads this, I apologise , and please remind me. :doh: (I wanna say @KeroZen or @Shit Snacks, or maybe one of you guys might remember?)

I believe that render was done by @thekarmawhore of course :tup:

PS Dan is sending me an update kit for my Nomad, we'll see if I can get some more use out of it afterwards... Been packed up in a box for a while, which is a damn shame considering how fucking beautiful this thing is! Still unbelievable

Last edited:

ZC

Really been enjoying the nomad. It's honestly didn't expect to like it's function as much as my other unregulated 18650 vapes. I thought it would be more of a form over function piece.

It's not. Function is fantastic.

I get great results, even abv, smooth, tasty vapor. This thing is incredible.

And very noticeably smaller than similar vapes. Closest in size is the FW5, and even that is just a little bigger.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
My beautiful nomad came today. I'm in the process of setting it up. Dan's directions are pretty clear. Is there a way to download them to my computer? I haven't found one other than turning it into a pdf but that doesn't include pictures.

If for whatever reason you can't download it in the file format you like, you can always simply screenshot each page and use the individual images, or stitch them together into a single PDF.

Ramahs,
Reactions: ataxian

little maggie

@little maggie , I'll make you a .pdf with photos. Give me a day or so. :)
Thanks so much.

Two more setup questions (maybe someone else will be low tech like me):
1. What should show through the hole in the cover- the battery or the heater. Or does it matter.
2. I'm not sure whether to leave the wood insert in or remove it when ready to vape.

Last edited:

little maggie

It's working!!! I appreciate the help I had with problems. It is so small and light compared to the box mod vapes I've been using lately. I don't see any vapor but I think that's because I'm using the light heater. I don't have the capacity for long draws and usually take a series of brief sips when I inhale. That may just not be the best for that heater. Tomorrow I'll try the other heater.
I was worried that all these things like changing heaters would be complicated but Dan made this very simple to use. :love:

GetLeft

Have fun little maggie!

Looking for the setup I like best has been a blast this past week. After a few days with the higher heater, I'm currently of the lower-heat, single screen, no wooden ring mindset and will tell myself the experiment is over (for the time being at least). To say the Nomad has been a (very pleasant) distraction is an understatement.

Both heaters seem to extract extraordinarily well. I'm sure there is some degree of variability among all the heaters that are out there, but I'm finding my lower heater every bit as effective and efficient as my higher heater, almost to the point that perhaps low heat and high heat aren't the best terms to distinguish between mine. Takes just a little bit longer with the 'low' but in my case with a definite upside in the flavor department. Maybe I'll call mine 'higher flavor' and 'lower flavor.' Anyone got a sharpie?

Ok time to work

mephisto

I spent several days coaxing vapor from some extremely low quality herb with what I thought was the high temp coil. I used my thinking head and looked at the coil, seems I was trying to rock high temps with the low temp coil. So, I switched up the coil, the herb, and the battery. Now then, my Nomad is treating me as good as it looks. Too much tamping will/might cause the top your head to cave in as you attempt to draw. Grassy, old, low quality herb will cause the same problem. @little maggie so glad that you received your Nomad and it sounds like it will be a good fit for you.

edit: I wanted to add that every once in a hit the switch seems to not make perfect contact. I can tell by the lack of resistance in draw as the heater swells a tiny bit. I just adjust the attack on the button to assure complete contact and off she goes.......

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I neglected to actually post a pic of my wood last night that Dan had sent me.

I think I want it to have my babies :bowdown:
P1050063.jpg

................................................................................
giphy.gif

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Great feedback guys! I'm so glad many of you seem to enjoy your Nomad as much as I enjoy mine, as I started to question my objectivity at some point... but apparently nope, I'm not crazy!

It's clearly my favorite portable (I count my Zions as desktops) and it is such a pleasure to use, taste is fantastic. I'm not even sure I can really detect the parasitic metallic taste I reported early on. The bronze has some smell but I avoid touching it too much (since the smell comes from skin oils and not from the metal itself) And the heater nichrome smell is very light and completely covered by the plant during use.

I broke my glass stem the other day and reverted back to my stainless steel one. For some reason I can't really explain, I feel that my sessions are shorter with the SS stem (faster extraction) that's why I went back to the glass one for a while (yeah contrary to a lot of FC members who enjoy cashing bowls in as few hits as they can, see one hitter quitter etc., I love long sessions with plenty of hits... but it's probably a cultural thing, we Europeans also like long lasting joints that we unfortunately tend to cut with tobacco as it consumes better... or well, it's a thing of the past for me but I imagine I'm trying to recreate the experience of my past bad habits!)

@Dan Morrison: I don't know if you made the battery and heater holes larger in the second batch but they were definitely too tight on mine. As mentioned previously nearly all my cells don't fit, I can only use 2x LG HE4 and 2x LG HG2, with the third HG2 being really at the limit (sometimes it can stick inside) But worse, last week my heater module appeared completely stuck. I struggled to remove it then used your care-kit tool to sand the hole gently. Strange as it was rather smooth previously and temperature was not abnormal lately... but maybe the expansion/contraction cycles changed the material dimensions over time?

So for now the heater hole problem is solved but for the battery one I'm afraid there's too much material to remove using just the sanding sponge you provided. I don't want to risk damaging it by using a stronger tool like a file, and it's not only the wood but also the bronze plate that would need to be enlarged. Hence why I did nothing so far and swap the few cells that fit often.

Anyway thank you so much for that wonderful vape, I love it really! :tup:

Last edited:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@KeroZen , I did enlarge the heater and battery holes for batch 2, and onwards. I am also employing some strategies to acclimate each wood block at a low humidity before the final machining. I think what happened with batch 1 was after I machined the two holes, they shrunk just a tiny bit, and likely continued to shrink for the last year or so, depending on the wood species.

The amount of shrinkge is something I really did not expect, since the wood blocks are so small. I guess this is part of the on-going learning experience.

Once the wood has shrunk once, it shouldn't really shrink again, so it would be a one-time fix to enlarge the holes I think.

Apparently high-end woodwind instrument makers recommend sending flutes back after a number of months to ream the bores again to enlarge a bit after they shrink. Seems this is a one time operation that's done after the initial break in period.

I have read that some makers will pre-shrink the wood in drying cabinets to stabilize it before final reaming of the bore, seems like it works well for them, and it's where I got the idea to do the same.

If you would like to enlarge your battery hole I can send you the materials to do it safely and easily without any worry about causing damage. It'll be a dowel with slightly cushioned sandpaper wrapped around it and glued in place. This goes fairly quickly, and I could include a photo tutorial with it as well. It's as simple as insert, and twist. The key is really to use the padded sandpaper, the right grit, and the right size for the hole. Setting up that tool correctly is where the skill comes in, using it is rather simple.

This is how I would do it, so the process is the same either way, but if you'd me to do it for ya, no problem there at all! Just let me know.

One thing that stands out to me is the fact that your Nomad is African blackwood. Since the wood is so dense and resinous, the natural drying process can be extremely slow. I have indeed noticed the most movement with A. Blackwood.

Also, question about the SS stem. In use, if you were to take the stem out immediately after your draw, how hot is the stem near the middle. And how many draws does it take to heat up the stem? Thanks for any input!

Bdubbdiblets

Looked at old emails and it’s been a year since I chose my wood...even longer since I started following this project....dang....and I could wait another if I had to for something like this. Kinda crazy I suppose but it’s a lifelong typathing naw mean... :razz:

Gramma always said....

good things come to those who wait...

Or

Patience is a virtue...

Or

A watched pot never boils...

...Something like that...

Many thanks Dan and feel extremely lucky to be this close to holding my babe!

Ps. I guess my custom sleeve is a different style painting than others....shucks as if I wasn’t already a proud papa of #31! Lol:love::drool::clap:

:rockon:

Last edited:

lieutenantlemons

I was playing with my friends Sticky Brick the other day and came to the realization that theoretically the Nomad could relatively easily have some sort of butane heater "module." Maybe have a glass butane "intake" (similar to the Brick) coming out of the heater hole. Might have to experiment with some glass and o-rings once I get mine... assuming it's even half-way feasible.

Also got me thinking about battery-less modules (for if 18650's were to ever stop being manufactured or whatever(?)); maybe a desktop module that can be plugged in, or an Okin-style charcoal module. Don't know about how any of this would work, just throwing out some possibly dumb ideas!

Top Bottom