Discontinued The NEO by Prrl Labs

Razhumikin

I just want to make an appreciation post for Prll Labs! They reached out to me instantly after I made the post about the loose chimney, and since the problem was identified on monday have already fixed my Neo and have it in the mail back to me, all while being gracious and responsive to my inquiries. Now that's customer service!

Philabrookla

@philabrookla
Got an OG stickybrick recently, and the Neo works like a charm with it! I don't love using the Neo with my flipbrick as it can get awkward to hold, but the OG brick really shines with the Neo.

Also the distance to the Herb when I use the silicone sleeve means I really don't have to worry about combusting ever. The large mouthpiece provides adequate cooling. Thanks Prrl team.

caseball2051

Its not too late....

I guess you're right. I went ahead and grabbed myself a neo today. I talked to another user today that confirmed the vaporgenie is a good fit for the neo and I can't wait to pair it with my bronze sherlock.

Any one they try mating their neo with a lotus WPA?

They don't advertise it in flashing lights but there are some worthwhile discounts to be had on the neo site if you're an on educator or work in the medical field.

Last edited:

StringTheorista

5-F2-A9-B21-3-FFD-450-B-B261-DE71-F60-D2155.jpg

This pipe I ordered from Etsy is a sweet match with the neo. In addition to looking cool together, it has a raw porcelain finish that feels great to hold, the carb is ergonomically placed, and the neo with silicone sleeve nests nicely just inside the bowl. Hits cool and pleasant. For cleaning purposes I kind of wish the inside were glazed, as I don’t know how the raw porcelain will handle residue; only the bowl is glazed. With its 3 hole bowl, I’m not using any kind of screen and that’s working well. It’s a budget alternative to the beautiful but pricey Miwak Jr.
here’s a link again:

caseball2051

5-F2-A9-B21-3-FFD-450-B-B261-DE71-F60-D2155.jpg

This pipe I ordered from Etsy is a sweet match with the neo. In addition to looking cool together, it has a raw porcelain finish that feels great to hold, the carb is ergonomically placed, and the neo with silicone sleeve nests nicely just inside the bowl. Hits cool and pleasant. For cleaning purposes I kind of wish the inside were glazed, as I don’t know how the raw porcelain will handle residue; only the bowl is glazed. With its 3 hole bowl, I’m not using any kind of screen and that’s working well. It’s a budget alternative to the beautiful but pricey Miwak Jr.
here’s a link again:

Ohhhh I like this I just grabbed one thanks for sharing.

I've got like 5 different bowl setups I'm looking fwd to trying with my neo. I hope it comes in on Friday but I bet Saturday is more likely.

caseball2051

I saw someone somewhere using a grav octabowl with the neo and I looked it up. Seems like it could be a good option.

I ordered the 14mm cause it's all they had in stock but there's an 18mm option too.

Not sure how that glass screen will work. Might need an additional screen on top but it looks promising, though I don't have a neo yet or even touched one lol

Last edited:

Kins

I saw someone somewhere using a grav octabowl with the neo and I looked it up. Seems like it could be a good option.

I ordered the 14mm cause it's all they had in stock but there's an 18mm option too.

Not sure how that glass screen will work. Might need an additional screen on top but it looks promising, though I don't have a neo yet or even touched one lol

Yeah I've tried that bowl and it just doesn't fit right. The glass handle of the bowl gets in the way.

caseball2051

Yeah I've tried that bowl and it just doesn't fit right. The glass handle of the bowl gets in the way.

Cool thanks for sharing @Kins. I had searched the thread and hadn't seen anyone mention it.

It was a cheap try so I'm still excited to try it out.

caseball2051,
Reactions: BigJr48

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer of the Neo and Terp Surfer
Manufacturer
Why the failures then?

I appreciate the question, @arb. It's an important one! Why, indeed? As an engineer and a bit of a perfectionist, I obsess over an unsolved problem. In this case, though, we believe we know what's been happening.

The vast majority of the chimney issues have been from the first run of 100 units. As mentioned in prior posts, the assembly team in Taiwan did not mix the bonding ceramic sufficiently prior to application, resulting in much weaker bond strength. This also affected the attachment of the zirconia capsule to the finned, stainless-steel base on those units.

We have repaired or replaced any faulty units immediately and without cost to the owner. Needless to say, we were extremely disappointed about that quality issue right out of the gate--it's certainly NOT the way we envisioned rolling out our first products. We fired that team and took four/five weeks in Dec/Jan to revise and test our assembly processes as well as select and train up a new team.

There have been ~4-5 issues with units outside of those first 100, wherein it appears that the chimney was not inserted immediately after the bonding ceramic was applied. In aqueous form, before curing, the bonding ceramic forms a skin fairly rapidly, which results in it bonding to the zirconia, but not as strongly to the quartz. The observational evidence is consistent with this explanation. The SOPs have been updated to reduce this issue, though I suspect it won't go entirely away given the nature of non-machine assembly.

The final problem we have observed with the chimney is a bit more complex. On 3-4 units the quartz itself fractured at their base in the heating chamber. The chimney rests on 3, 1mm x 4mm stand offs built into the zirconia capsule. This allows for airflow to pass under the chimney, and into the heating chamber, before exiting the baffle. The pressure forces on the chimney get concentrated at those three small contact points, thus increasing the internal strain in the quartz, resulting in the localized fracturing. Fortunately, we should be able to simply add three more standoffs to distribute the forces and this should solve the problem. However, it will take a bit of time and $ to modify the molds.

Our current SOPs and inspection protocols have reduced the failure rates in our most recent runs to less than 2%. We want to get this to less than 1% by the end of the year. We've been told that for this type of device, a typical failure rate in the first year is 4-5%, but that's way higher than what we believe is acceptable. So, we want to stay on top of things.

For those of you who have a Neo, please DM me, email (mark@PrrlLabs.com), or call/text 844-662-6844 if you ever have an issue with your unit, or would like to discuss a question. Thanks!

-Mark

sparrowman

How does the power of the neo compare to desktop vapes like the fp / herbo etc..?

I actually have a herbo, which is nice, great flavour and power etc.. problem is because I mainly vape outside it's a bit of a pain to use. Having something in a portable package seems quite attractive.

So does anyone actually have both?

west-elec

How does the power of the neo compare to desktop vapes like the fp / herbo etc..?

I actually have a herbo, which is nice, great flavour and power etc.. problem is because I mainly vape outside it's a bit of a pain to use. Having something in a portable package seems quite attractive.

So does anyone actually have both?
I have FP and Neo, similar style but different in application. The desktop injector style vapes like Herborizer store a lot of thermal energy in the titanium. The Neo stores some heat in the zirconia but it is really the coil providing most of the heat on demand.
So you need to run a 30 sec heat up (imo more to stop the zirconia robbing heat from the first draw because it will absorb most of the heat until it is warmed up), then be more long and slow with your draws. Or otherwise cigar puffs etc. to get the heat into the load on that first hit. Dont get me wrong, you can get massive big clouds and fast extraction, but some technique is involved.

Darr1

So I have sitting on this since it arrived at the weekend. Received this (what I can only describe as) piece of art from @CDXX Pipes to accompany my @Black_Prrl Neo. TJ was an absolute pleasure to deal with and my pipe arrived much sooner than expected and hasn't been out of my hands since. Firstly, packaged really well with far more spares (screens / silicone rings / pipe cleaners) than I expected as well as a hand made stirring stick and good quality storage bag. Using is a dream. I have tried many pipes which have all been good however this is another level , not just the form but also the performance. Air flow is open , great flavour and massive clouds. I have been warming up and using on 3 diamonds before moving up and bowls seem to last a lot longer. I'm not a great photographer but have attached a pic. If you are sitting on the fence, don't , you will not be disappointed

Top Bottom