Costanza

I'm just about sold on this vape for my on-demand portable vapor needs. My only hold up is battery life.
My idea is that one battery = (roughly) one trench? And if you pull out the battery a bit while not inhaling (conserving batt. life) perhaps two? This means that the two stock batteries will get you 3-4 trench fills? I'm hoping to get a day's worth of light use out of each charging of the batteries and I'm worried that 3-4 trenchs won't be enough.

For people with experience: are you finding that the two provided batteries are enough? I'm hearing a lot about buying different battery brands and chargers, but I don't know how much of that is out of curiosity/experimentation and how much is out of necessity.
And how much ground herb can the trench functionally hold (in grams or pd-bowls as the reference point)?
I guess the main question here is how much material can be vaporized with the two supplied batteries.
I understand that your mileage may vary, but if an estimate could be reached on this, I could decide for myself if that amount is enough.

Costanza,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Costanza said:
... one battery = (roughly) one trench?
Hi,

Yes, that is what we recommend. Simpler and easier that way. One load will provide appx 4 to 6 hits, depending on your usage/taste preferences.

Costanza said:
... you pull out the battery a bit while not inhaling
Correct -- backing out the battery stops the heating process. It is necessary to do this when you are done -- prevents waste of the load and is better for the battery. (The stock batteries are rechargeable and the unit comes with a recharger).

Costanza said:
I'm hoping to get a day's worth of light use out of each charging of the batteries and I'm worried that 3-4 trenches won't be enough.
Each filling will take appx 50 to 100 milligrams of material. If you wish to vape more than 200 milligrams of material per day, you will need additional NiMh batteries (which we can supply, or you can purchase along with a charger in most electronics stores). A good fast charger tends to cost between $15 and $35 and usually comes with the right batteries.

Costanza said:
For people with experience: are you finding that the two provided batteries are enough? I'm hearing a lot about buying different battery brands and chargers, but I don't know how much of that is out of curiosity/experimentation and how much is out of necessity.
And how much ground herb can the trench functionally hold (in grams or pd-bowls as the reference point)?
I guess the main question here is how much material can be vaporized with the two supplied batteries.
I understand that your mileage may vary, but if an estimate could be reached on this, I could decide for myself if that amount is enough.
Others are welcome to 'weigh in' as they will.

-- Magic-Flight

Last edited by a moderator:
magicflight,

duh

My only comment is around taking the battery out during a session (i.e. during exhale). Why? I have found this personally to be less optimal (as well as others here) for several reasons:

1. Leaving the battery in ensures the heating element and the surrounding material stays hot. Recall, it takes 4 seconds to get started initially. It takes longer the 2nd and even longer the 3rd and so forth. The material closest to the screen, now depleted, acts like an insulator and heat efficiency is decreased.
2. Shaking the box or reversing it slows heating.
Often, I keep the process going to allow new material access to the screen while doing an air exchange myself. Placing the box upside down can have a similar effect if you need to cough. The downside is w/sticky material, it can get a little messy.
3. Unnecessary wear and tear/build-up in battery hole.
Like any natural material, wood gives over time and shuttling the battery can cause other issues. I get gunk building up as the batteries may have residual glue from taking off the jacket (note to self/others - clean w/iso after removing jacket). Finally, the battery terminals get dirty (like your cell phone) and need cleaning.
4. Getting good contact w/the unit on is the goal - not extending batteries
Really, every time I get vapor from any of my devices, I am so happy. To paraphrase captainhits, 'Setting up a vaporizer is like a science project' - in other words, it's a pain in the ass chore. Anything that stops this bums me out and having 8 batteries (for friends) in my pocket in 2 plastic cases is no problem.

:2c:,
duh

duh,

2tiki

I was thinking about ordering this battery charger w/batteries:
http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/...ml?SP_id=41&osCsid=s5mh6hpvt1s7q3fumdkda37ep0

It's a great deal, and gives you the choice for each battery to charge as quick or slow as you like from about 1/2 hour to 12 hours in 5 or 6 increments. The AA's that come with it are 2600 mAh

I will be deciding in the next day or 2, but in the mean time figured I should pass along the info since I think it is just on sale for the next week or so.

2tiki,

duh

2tiki said:
Looks very interesting. They also carry some cool battery cases. I'm curious what MF thinks of this charger - it seems to have a neat test function too.

I just put in an order to get my 2nd LB. Going to the beach and having the trench pre-filled w/a couple of AAs - should be a good trip report. I will report back after that one.

Using the box again, after using the tube for a few days, I was immediately reminded of how much of a sports car the LB is - dang! Lunch time buddy - in 5 minutes I could go through 2, maybe 3 trenches including dump/refill trench change. Of course, I don't like to rush and prefer to take my time.

I am beginning to stack up boxes from Rainbow, CA. :D

duh,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
2tiki said:
I was thinking about ordering this battery charger w/batteries:
http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/...ml?SP_id=41&osCsid=s5mh6hpvt1s7q3fumdkda37ep0

It's a great deal, and gives you the choice for each battery to charge as quick or slow as you like from about 1/2 hour to 12 hours in 5 or 6 increments. The AA's that come with it are 2600 mAh

I will be deciding in the next day or 2, but in the mean time figured I should pass along the info since I think it is just on sale for the next week or so.
Looks like a great deal with the sale going on.

Haywood

[edit] I have the MaHa Powerex MH-C9000, and I'm extremely happy with it. It's worked flawlessly for a year or so, but with four batteries, it's almost 50% more.

Haywood,

ILoveRadiohead!

duh said:
2tiki said:
Looks very interesting. They also carry some cool battery cases. I'm curious what MF thinks of this charger - it seems to have a neat test function too.
Thats essentially one of the best battery chargers you can buy. It has a ton of different charging options and charges batteries in a way for maximum life and charge levels. It even has a way to bring back old rechargeable batteries from a crappy almost dead state where they don't hold a charge very long. It's the same charger that a lot of pro photographers use on a daily basis. Its on the pricey side but sooo worth it over the cheaper chargers plus it comes with 8 batteries, adapters to turn AA batteries into C or D cell batteries, and a cool travel case. I use one with all my console remotes and digital cameras.

BTW, amazon has it for $39.99 shipped which is also great deal and might be a $4-5 cheaper than thomasdistributing.

http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Techno...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242934520&sr=8-1

ILoveRadiohead!,
Reactions: ntaylor

Durden

I am Jack's title
Durden,

2tiki

Just ordered it.

If you use the code: GCNE561 you will get a 5% discount at thomas, and if you click this link:
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/special-am.php
you will also get 2 8 cell battery holders free. I am going to mark one as USED and the other I will keep fresh ones in.

I think the one at Amazon is the older version of the charger, and comes with 2000 mAh where as the Thomas one comes with 2600 mAh AA's and the latest version of the charger.

The total came to 42.31 with USPS priority shipping.

I didn't feel good about spending it when adding to the cost of the LB (that I ordered without a charger), I realize that this puts the LB usage cost to me up over $100. But then I realized that I am getting what is considered by many to be the best charger on the market, and that I will use it for all my batteries, not just the LB. And, even still, there is no vape I have come across for $100 that would be nearly as good as the Launch Box. So, I am happy. :)

2tiki,

buddhaholic420

Grand master-vaper
I must say I have not been on the forum searching lately, but got a chance to the other day. I have been looking for an electric vape since I am going on a cruise that does not allow butane by any means. I cannot even take the IO on board. They will however allow an electric vape. Well I decided on getting this one after my unhappy romp with the low temp LT. I used that thing for about a week, but my consumption is a lot higher than one hitters. I like to get really baked. (i.e. two or three pd vapor tubes) Anyways, this one looks like a winner for me to use on the cruise and off the ship. I am also taking my PD for the cabin. When I ordered I called and spoke to the customer service and was actually able to have them put in in express mail because I leave very soon. Anyways, I will report back and let you all know how it works for me.

buddhaholic420,

gak hater

Costanza said:
I'm just about sold on this vape for my on-demand portable vapor needs. My only hold up is battery life.
My idea is that one battery = (roughly) one trench?
that is my major turnoff,i'm still on the fence with this one
carrying around 8-10 batteries in my pocket if i go to a concert
(i like to consume more then a bowl or two :D )
doesn't appeal to me that much,but i do like the fact you don't need a lighter
or have to light something to make it work.

gak hater,

ILoveRadiohead!

2tiki said:
I think the one at Amazon is the older version of the charger, and comes with 2000 mAh where as the Thomas one comes with 2600 mAh AA's and the latest version of the charger.
Amazon has been shipping the latest model bc-9009 charger with 2600mah AA's and 1000mah AAA's for awhile now. Occasionally I've seen them price it at $36 shipped too.

ILoveRadiohead!,

duh

gak hater said:
I don't follow. 8 batteries in 2 packs is the size of a pack of cigarettes. Is this really a problem? Check the full size product image on MF's site - the battery case is also tiny.

On 1 battery = 1 trench, read the updated vaporpedia page. http://www.vaporpedia.com/wiki/Magic-Flight_Launch_Box#Simplified_Use I have found consistently that higher capacity batteries work for 3+ trenches. In reality, I have never been able to get past 4 in a single, heavy session.

Judging from the chamber of the IO and the LB, I would say the bowl/trench is about the same size, w/the LB being larger. Assuming you are going to use all 8 batteries, you will need a refill and an abv container. This is non-unique as you would need to refill the chamber in the IO as well.

For my 'remote beach' scenario I am planning, I will pre-fill 2 trenchs in 2 LBs w/2 fresh batteries reversed, and bring nothing else. The true 'pocket vape' to get that sweet heat spot takes energy. Until Mr. Fusion is ready from Doc, green rechargeables will work fine for me. :D

How much smaller can you get for a portable vape? For the size, the category is jays and 1-hitters, good company for a compact trip. Yesterday, I used the LB while being driven on the 405 w/the window open - now that was cool. :)

duh,

Beezleb

Duh, he is talking about a concert and not the beach. Two entirely different venues where one tends to take entirely different things.

I not getting the reasoning for taking two LB's to go to the beach as I really do not understand the requirement for two but to each their own. You sort of give the impression that filling a trench is difficult outside or something but I know that is not your intent.

I can not back up your claim on the battery life. From my experience the batteries only work with one trench and part of another but not really effective on the second trench. Now, I am using the stock batteries, if you are using different higher rated batteries that perhaps is why.

Its a great little vape and will surely be great at the beach. If your spending the night, I would take more batteries hehe.

Beezleb,

duh

Beezleb said:
Duh, he is talking about a concert and not the beach. Two entirely different venues where one tends to take entirely different things.

I not getting the reasoning for taking two LB's to go to the beach as I really do not understand the requirement for two but to each their own. You sort of give the impression that filling a trench is difficult outside or something but I know that is not your intent.

I can not back up your claim on the battery life. From my experience the batteries only work with one trench and part of another but not really effective on the second trench. Now, I am using the stock batteries, if you are using different higher rated batteries that perhaps is why.

Its a great little vape and will surely be great at the beach. If your spending the night, I would take more batteries hehe.
You are right, if you can dump and refill on any device w/a crapload of people around you at a concert - that's cool.

The 2 LBs is all about :ninja:. Several people have been arrested and fined in LA, even w/medical cards, just chilling on the beach. While I don't mind sitting down and changing trenches, it's a lot harder to do :ninja:ily while walking along the water's edge when the beach are boardwalk are full.

I use non-stock batteries and also don't damp down the trench.

duh,

kingcrimson

My review:

It has been 11 days since I got my Magic Flight LB. I really would like to once again reiterate my affinity for the company and the product as well. In that 11 days, two weeks this Monday, I have utilized combustion as my method of consumption a paltry 4 to 5 times, in a total of 2 or 3 sessions? for the entire 11 days!

Every other time I have consumed it has been with either my trusty gong vapor globe, or the MF LB. Previous to this I was using my new Iolite, but still smoked quite a bit. The II wasn?t enough by itself or even with the vapor globe for me to fully make the transition to glorious vaporization. I still think my II has its place in the rotation but its niche has been vastly shrunk by the LB?s sheer burly capabilities.

The funny thing is though, the vapor globe that used to be my herb conservation tool ? in that a single drop/hit of oil takes the place of an entire smoke session ? is now thankfully not needed for that function any longer! I can now use my vape globe for its intended purpose, not a conservation tool. but for a punch in the face.

Let me explain, before I would smoke herb and then cap with a hash rip to launch me into the stratosphere. It got the point where I had a tolerance to vaporizing oil even, and it would take 2 or 3 large hits off the vapor globe to do the same that 1 used to, classic tolerance build up.

But now, the LB has been consistently getting me fried, to my desired normal level, without the use of the oil. This allows me to not only save the more expensive oil but also use it at a time when I really need the pain relief or relaxation, or sleep, that oil provides me, as opposed to just a really good stone that the LB gives. (this isn?t to say you wouldn?t get the aforementioned benefits from the box but to me personally herb is recreational hash is medicinal, just the way my body has reacted to years of intake) The funniest thing by far is the LB is a champ when it comes to hash too, I have discovered. Finding myself more and more lazy when it comes to setting up the torch and vapor globe, I?d much rather take the easier route of dropping a dab of oil onto the LBs screen, and it works just as well as with solid hashes (best with unpressed) as it does with herb.

So now I find myself using this tiny box as my main device, I shit you not. It has supplanted my custom glass (my friend who blew it is not pleased, lol), rolling herb up, the II, the vapor globe and my expectations. I find myself saving herb significantly as well as getting more high, but it?s a better cleaner high. Oddly enough I often find my brain craving the neuro toxic effects of traditional combustion, or at least this is how I interpret that subtle urge to smoke that has crept up on me now and again. And every time I try it, so far as I said 2 or 3 sessions ? I am amazed at how disgusted I am with what I used to do so often.

On to specifics:

With every device there is a learning curve ? this includes using a bong or glass pipes etc. I?m likely preaching to the choir on this one.

LB?s learning curve is IMO no more steep than a jay or bowl. That is to say ? easy peasy!

With every device there are always situations in which it would not be practical to use it

To me the situations when I wouldn?t use my LB are obvious, but they may be different from a user who?s needs and mindset are different.
Personally I can get plenty toast off on a single trench, and I by no means consider myself a light user ? I vape hash oil folks. But of course I enjoy the act of vaping almost as much as the effects so the idea of carrying my LB and a pack of batteries into a concert is unlikely. I just picture a security guard with a metal detector, pat me down first, feel something hard ? batteries with the covers off? Something I am not used to seeing every day?! Is this a bomb sir?
Not something I want to remotely deal with in this day and age, though I?m doubtless it can be done just as stealthily as bringing in a pipe.

However, I would use my box at work, in my office, next to expensive gear where I couldn?t normally smoke, on set when everyone goes out for a smoke break, its small enough to the ignored as a cig. Basically like I said everyone?s usage and preference is different. Of course the box won?t fit every situation but it does fit quite a few ones excellently.

On to little stuff:

One of my favorite things is when the trench of avb remains clumped together after a hit, and you can just flip it, brown on top and green on bottom. The simplicity and cleanliness of the procedure appeals to my OCD brain, lol. Of course shaking and inverting works excellently but to get a neat little ingot of herb that you can just pick up and flip is to me silly and one of the more fun things about the box.

I bought and use 4 Duracell 2400mah rechargeables and 10 Energizer 2600 mah rechargeables (2 came with my 15 min fast charger that I also got) and the other 8 came in a pack. Plus the 2 that came with the LB, and I have yet to be able to go through all 12 batteries in a single go. I have a hard time getting through 4 even, honestly. Stay away from the Duracell batts because I found they are kind small and particularly annoying to get in there just right.

If I had the option I?d buy all my batts of MF because the super snug fit is just tops, the energizers are a little more tight but still wiggle a little, not too annoying but slightly.

I can?t really settle on a preferred mouthpiece, one day I like the nub, one day the elbow, one day a whip.

The holes to widen with time to take care when inserting the mouthpiece and battery.

It has survived several (so painful) drops and falls out of my pocket, not a scratch on it, and that little brush is invaluable for clearing the screen, so glad Duh asked for that to be included.

My personal technique for using the box involves tamping the trench lightly, inverting and shaking between hits. Pulling/puffing slowly and quickly depending on the intensity of what I feel im getting and what I want.

And that?s about all I can think of off the top of my head?.

kingcrimson,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
great review crimson...I broke this little thing out again last night and was amazed at how little it uses and how baked I get on not very visible vapor. So far, I prefer the tubing, as I don't yet have the hang of using it without any attachments.

stickstones,

buddhaholic420

Grand master-vaper
Alright ya'll. I got my LB today and have already used it 5 times with the first being unsucessful because I got combustion! Gross! Anyways, I got the technic down now and I have to say this little sucker does what they said it does. I just lightly pack the trench with what appears to be like two PD tube fulls. I kinda used the PD as a measuring tool. When I put the battery I wait like 5 seconds and start drawing slowly. I get nice taste and decent vapor. I cannot believe I came so close to smoking on a cruise. This little sucker will get lots of play time in the bahamas!

buddhaholic420,

gak hater

duh said:
gak hater said:
I don't follow. 8 batteries in 2 packs is the size of a pack of cigarettes. Is this really a problem? Check the full size product image on MF's site - the battery case is also tiny.
there is a little more then that to my batt issue with it.
then you also have to make sure all of them are fully charged
and ready to go.. and not mix up the good ones with the dead ones when your out that can be a pita at least to me if your on the go and busy..

my digi camera had rechargables and it can also run on alkys or liths
after a few times of on the go with dead rechargables or forgetting to recharge it
i just bought a bunch of lithium's and don't even bother with the rechargables anymore
plus the liths way out perform the rechargables for length of life.
less hassle for me.
even with the batts i'm still mulling it over,it seems a better choice for me then a iolite would be, the major reason is the fact you don't have to ignite something to make it work. thats sort of what i want in a portable. if it ran on liths i probably would of bought one already.i still will probably end up getting one anyway.

gak hater,

duh

gak hater said:
duh said:
gak hater said:
there is a little more then that to my batt issue with it.
then you also have to make sure all of them are fully charged
and ready to go.. and not mix up the good ones with the dead ones when your out that can be a pita at least to me if your on the go and busy..

my digi camera had rechargables and it can also run on alkys or liths
after a few times of on the go with dead rechargables or forgetting to recharge it
i just bought a bunch of lithium's and don't even bother with the rechargables anymore
plus the liths way out perform the rechargables for length of life.
less hassle for me.
even with the batts i'm still mulling it over,it seems a better choice for me then a iolite would be, the major reason is the fact you don't have to ignite something to make it work. thats sort of what i want in a portable. if it ran on liths i probably would of bought one already.i still will probably end up getting one anyway.
I 'mis-treat' my rechargeables all the time. I don't fully discharge, I accidentally charge ones that have already been charged, I mix them up. So what?

At CVS, they're a couple of dollars to add new ones to the 'rotation'. The other day, I accidentally crossed 2 batteries and they got hot. I threw them away.

Liths aren't sustainable or renewable. I use my extra rechargables in remote controls and the wii. Green AAs ftw! It is nice to know about why ppl don't like batteries. Don't like lots of them, don't like this or that kind. Bad experience w/an animated stuffed animal as a child w/depleted batteries, etc.

On another story entirely, a good friend came up from San Diego last night for a party I am throwing (diff thread ;)). Anyway, he is a Cancer survivor and a smoker. I gave him some basic instructions on the box and gave it to him after a 3 second warm-up. He was pleasantly surprised as to how easy it was and not harsh on his throat. I let him get 3 more hits before I figured the box was abv. Maybe, I made another convert to the box. :cool:

duh,

2tiki

I picked up one of the smaller sized straws (not tiny stirring type) at Starbucks yesterday. If you take out the tube from the LB, this straw fits in there perfectly.

You can easily cut it up into 2-3 inch pieces and get about 4 tubes that you could keep with you if you ever want someone to try the LB but are worried about the swine flu or cooties, etc.

2tiki,
Top Bottom