TommyDee

Vaporitor
They're 1/4 inch outer diameter

The trade size apparently 1/4" but they actually measure large. I have a MF acrylic stem measuring .2570 and the glass I measure .2545" When I make a wooden stem I aim for .260" and they've always fit nice and snug.

@ataxian - I like pot and I like the MFLB. First vape and still find it an excellent convection vape now that I've got a handle on powering the unit. Using the sub-C cell works like I figured a LB should work and the MOD just makes it a fun toy.

What I enjoy most about the LB is that you can see the vape before you even draw. Just shake while heating and there's your goodness. I do owe @scy123 kudos for simplifying the system and pointing out a budget mod that works.

I do hope to fully blog the modification of the Vaporesso VM Tank 22 to work with the LB here in this thread. I've been using this new setup every day since I started using these more reliable power options. I like the cell solution for a walk around and convenience. The MOD solution gets you into that programming mindset and it takes away from the session. I've tried several programs and means to monitor the LB. I've settled on temperature mode with a custom curve. Slow ramp to a spike and back off so a safe zone. You can induce the spike with every fire press when needed. This is a function of this MOD in particular but there is no reason you cannot use the MOD of your choice.

Last edited:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
The trade size apparently 1/4" but they actually measure large. I have a MF acrylic stem measuring .2570 and the glass I measure .2545" When I make a wooden stem I aim for .260" and they've always fit nice and snug.

@ataxian - I like pot and I like the MFLB. First vape and still find it an excellent convection vape now that I've got a handle on powering the unit. Using the sub-C cell works like I figured a LB should work and the MOD just makes it a fun toy.

What I enjoy most about the LB is that you can see the vape before you even draw. Just shake while heating and there's your goodness. I do owe @scy123 kudos for simplifying the system and pointing out a budget mod that works.

I do hope to fully blog the modification of the Vaporesso VM Tank 22 to work with the LB here in this thread. I've been using this new setup every day since I started using these more reliable power options. I like the cell solution for a walk around and convenience. The MOD solution gets you into that programming mindset and it takes away from the session. I've tried several programs and means to monitor the LB. I've settled on temperature mode with a custom curve. Slow ramp to a spike and back off so a safe zone. You can induce the spike with every fire press when needed. This is a function of this MOD in particular but there is no reason you cannot use the MOD of your choice.
My Phd friend uses a MFLB!
My first vape when I stopped working?

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I finally got the courage up to make this crucial cut. I reef'd on the capture screw to compress the 3 pennies and went to town on the lathe.

Stats: 14.4mm diameter for the 14.5mm hole in the LB. Drilled through the screw using #19 drill bit. And counter-bored the screw for knocking off the sharp edges.
This drilling of the screw will allow more heat shrink tubing on the center post.

49474552002_fd633c1de8_b.jpg

I have 4 Magic Flight boxes. They all fit a little different depending on vintage and workmanship. This fits tightly in all of them save 1. Therefore I don't believe making negative contact will be a problem. I am wondering about positive pressure. I may need to add a very small taper to this stack.

And for the post piece, turns out the hole in the bottom piece is not a rivet as I thought. It is in fact a solid gold-plated contact to the MOD where the inside has a 3mm 'receiver' for some kind of press. Note where the mark is left on the copper tube to know it is not bottoming out. I want a press-fit on the diameter, not the bottom of the contact.

49475411327_402cb511ef_b.jpg

Stats: 1/8" copper tube from any hobby store. Start with ~38mm. Size the seat [image] and shoot for 24.5mm from the mating face of the tank to the top of the copper post. Adjustments can be made with files or fingernail files. You want something near 'almost flush'.

The plastic insulator is only tacitly affixed. When I shrunk the shrink sleeve, this contact was easily removable. This makes no difference in this configuration as the post pushes on the contact anyway. I can almost replace it knowing this. But it is a good contact and it is gold plated so I tapered my 1/8" copper tube to about 1.2-1.5 degrees. The engagement happened at about 1.5mm. That is where the numbers start stacking up.

49475361952_ac82b057c5_b.jpg

The white shrink tube is to keep the contact from just being loose.

And once screwed together...

49474653838_c967f37b27_b.jpg

Followed my be moment of truth...

49474653878_e76650a159_b.jpg

Yep, 0.07 ohms on this brand new Launch Box from Magic Flight.

I chased the variation on depth and found my ancient LB to be the deepest. The shoulder of the tank fits flush with the box. On the other 3 boxes, I have about 1mm clearance/margin.
3 of the 4 launch boxes hold this modified tank nice and tight. My daily driver is an oddball. The hole is huge compared to the rest and the look fits loose. When I try to use my mod'd tank on the other boxes, it won't even fit in the hole. This walnut daily driver is the one I had so much trouble with holding the v1.0 MF power adapter.

Therefore, @Choices, this one is ready to ship back to you to test on your two LB's. Please PM your name and addy and I'll get this one back to you ASAP. Upon confirmation on a few measurements, I can modify the second one according to the findings.

Last edited:

Choices

Love my LB! @TommyDee has found what is to many a Holy Grail: a better portable power delivery system for the LB!!! He has adapted a box mod and tank to create a device that really powers the MFLB like never before’! Better than a PA and no wires! It has finally made the AA cell method of power delivery obsolete in every way and still maintained a stealth quality and easy toting aspect the MFLB has in spades. I must say this is so cool!!! Thanks @TommyDee !!!!

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
And I finally have the final number... 41.5mm!
That would be the overall length from the golden 510 tip to the top of the copper post.

And as a final reminder, make contacts copper. Plated or stainless contacts get very hot.

@Choices - your second unit is ready for shipment :nod:

I'm done with the magical Flight Box power modifications.
'Done' as in overcoming the shortcomings I've found with the lack of MF Glyph cells in the marketplace.

Thank you all for sharing solid advice and knowledge.
Peace-Out

Choices

And I finally have the final number... 41.5mm!
That would be the overall length from the golden 510 tip to the top of the copper post.

And as a final reminder, make contacts copper. Plated or stainless contacts get very hot.

@Choices - your second unit is ready for shipment :nod:

I'm done with the magical Flight Box power modifications.
'Done' as in overcoming the shortcomings I've found with the lack of MF Glyph cells in the marketplace.
Thank you all for sharing solid advice and knowledge.
Peace-Out
What a great thing this is knowing I have one for each MFLB! Thanks so much @TommyDee !!!’

TommyDee

Vaporitor
My pleasure to be sure :peace: Projects like these really do require confirmation. I appreciate the opportunity to finish the build instructions. :tup:

TommyDee,
Reactions: ataxian

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I love my MFLB for the simplicity.

If I wanted to attach all these other box mods and/or other electronics to it, then I would get another vape. To me, modding all this other stuff with it defeats the point. Not that I'm judging anyone else...you do you boo. But I don't get robbing the MFLB of all the simple aspects that make it special to me.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
If I could still get decent Glyph cells, I would whole-heartedly agree, Alas, I have 2 worthy Glyphs in the 20 I've purchased. The original concept is still the best, no argument here.

TommyDee,
Reactions: ataxian

scy123

Trusted Member Don't Worry
I love my MFLB for the simplicity.

If I wanted to attach all these other box mods and/or other electronics to it, then I would get another vape. To me, modding all this other stuff with it defeats the point. Not that I'm judging anyone else...you do you boo. But I don't get robbing the MFLB of all the simple aspects that make it special to me.

It’s like with the PA, with the wires and ac outlet and not knowing when it’s gonna break or if it will before your 90 day warranty. It just works better so people like it. It’s actually way better than PA now so it ain’t robbing anything, Just giving people a better option.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
It’s like with the PA, with the wires and ac outlet and not knowing when it’s gonna break or if it will before your 90 day warranty. It just works better so people like it. It’s actually way better than PA now so it ain’t robbing anything, Just giving people a better option.

Meh, I never cared to get the PA for the same reasons. :shrug:

Top Bottom