The Lotus Vaporizer

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Are you stirring between hits? I notice that you almost have to stir between hits to keep the flow a going. And yes, there is a little bit of plant material that cakes around the edges sometimes. I found that my SSV poker works well for both stirring and getting these particulates.

the ob

all good in the hood.
AG I am. I find that the second hit is very small compared to the first and that each time I think I should just have re-loaded it. This is not really a complaint, more just an observations. I think even Max mentioned in a earlier statement that he thought each bowl was good for one hit.

Earths Essence

The lotus is a vaporizer that will do the job. But honestly, I would go another route when choosing one of those more portable vapes. Keep in mind no portable is perfect, no vape is perfect. Something like a glass Vapo-Bowl or MFLB is a much better option, imo.

Earths Essence,

lwien

Earths Essence said:
Something like a glass Vapo-Bowl or MFLB is a much better option, imo.

That's a pretty broad brushed statement.

I'm seriously thinking about possibly getting the Lotus because it's comparable, efficiency wise, to my PD. If efficiency was my primary concern, why would the Vapo-Bowl or LB be a better option.

lwien,

Earths Essence

lwien said:
Earths Essence said:
Something like a glass Vapo-Bowl or MFLB is a much better option, imo.

That's a pretty broad brushed statement.

I'm seriously thinking about possibly getting the Lotus because it's comparable, efficiency wise, to my PD. If efficiency was my primary concern, why would the Vapo-Bowl or LB be a better option.

I've already talked to you about vaporizing and efficiency so I won't get into it. You can't really say it is a "broad brushed statement" when you haven't even tried the vapes, and I've owned all of them mentioned in these last few posts. But go ahead and continue on your search for the vape with the perfect efficiency, maybe a vape will soon come out with a bowl that only holds .00000001, and then you'll be happy.

Earths Essence,

lwien

Earths Essence said:
But go ahead and continue on your search for the vape with the perfect efficiency, maybe a vape will soon come out with a bowl that only holds .00000001, and then you'll be happy.

Huh? I'm not searching for a vape with perfect efficiency, what ever the hell that means. I'm perfectly happy with my PD in that regard. Just looking for a portable that can come close to matching it.

lwien,

Earths Essence

lwien said:
Earths Essence said:
But go ahead and continue on your search for the vape with the perfect efficiency, maybe a vape will soon come out with a bowl that only holds .00000001, and then you'll be happy.

Huh? I'm not searching for a vape with perfect efficiency, what ever the hell that means. I'm perfectly happy with my PD in that regard. Just looking for a portable that can come close to matching it.

So how is it that my statement was broad if I clearly said "imo"?

Have you tried a Lotus or MFLB to compare it to your PD?

Earths Essence,

Spacenstein

Earths Essence said:

It sounds like you need to chill the fuck out.

You said that it'd be a smarter to choose the glass Vapo-bowl or an MFLB.. IMO, that's a broad statement. The MFLB is not a flame powered vape, and doesn't have the same efficiency as the Lotus so it's hard to compare the two.. The glass Vapo-bowl has OK efficiency and requires a water pipe... so it's not really a portable unit... why would you compare the two?

When people ask questions on the forum, you should answer them to the best of your ability.

Spacenstein,

Earths Essence

Spacenstein said:
Earths Essence said:

It sounds like you need to chill the fuck out.

You said that it'd be a smarter to choose the glass Vapo-bowl or an MFLB.. IMO, that's a broad statement. The MFLB is not a flame powered vape, and doesn't have the same efficiency as the Lotus so it's hard to compare the two.. The glass Vapo-bowl has OK efficiency and requires a water pipe... so it's not really a portable unit... why would you compare the two?

When people ask questions on the forum, you should answer them to the best of your ability.

Hahahahaha I thought that was a conversation between me and lwien ONLY. You can't hear the tone of my voice so just get out of here. I hope you know lwien personally, or you look like a complete idiot defending someone you don't actually know.

Sorry, but I wasn't talking to you. Don't bother replying. Loser.

mod note: Looks like you haven't read the rules page. Shouldn't even be necessary when it comes to flaming. Please abide by the rules and treat others with respect if you want to post here.

Earths Essence,

Earths Essence

Earths Essence said:
The lotus is a vaporizer that will do the job. But honestly, I would go another route when choosing one of those more portable vapes. Keep in mind no portable is perfect, no vape is perfect. Something like a glass Vapo-Bowl or MFLB is a much better option, imo.

As you can see what I said is what I THINK, my OPINION.

Spacestein, maybe you haven't had a vape session in a couple hours, and you're irritable. I understand.

A broad statement would be: "The Glass Vapo-Bowl and MFLB are better than the Lotus."
--Did you pass highschool english?

Looks like you have a secret love affair with the Lotus, based off of your signature. Sound like you're just being biased.

Earths Essence,

reece

Earths Essence said:
lwien said:
Earths Essence said:

Aren't all broad brushed statements opinions? I think lwien's was only asking you to explain why you feel the Box and Vapobowl are better? No need to get defensive. You expressed an opinion. It is only natural for others to ask why, or how you formed that opinion.

I own a Lotus, a Box, and an MZ.

As to lwien's question and a general review:

I've had the Lotus (short stem) about four days. I've been vaporizing close to ten years (I've lost count).

I find the box to be helpful with efficiency. You can load small trenches but I find it better to load a full trench for more satisfying hits. A full trench can last me days because I generally only use it on the go. I take a few pulls and I'm good. Since the Box stops heating immediately, the material doesn't cook until you want it to. The Box is much more stealthy than the Lotus.

The Lotus is great, especially if you sometimes crave the ritual of "smoking" a pipe. The bowl is, maybe, a little deeper than a Zap's, and much wider. But still, compared to most combustion pipe bowls it isn't very big at all. I don't have a scoop but I did make my own stir tool after seeing what the Lotus folks were doing.

I loaded and then emptied a Zap stem as I normally would (air flow isn't restricted much) and put that material into the Lotus. It filled it about half way. I got about three decent hits and am feeling fine.

You can definitely use the Lotus as efficiently as a Box or a PD.

But it is easy to achieve combustion. I noticed the red dot gets lighter as I inhale. So I wait until I see the dot then immediately draw while pulling the lighter farther from the Lotus. Sometimes I see the faintest red dot, sometimes I cannot see it at all. This technique seems to produce the best effect for me but if the bowl is full, I get some scorching. Also, when it seems there's a hit left, there isn't, it burns. So it's best to not go for that last one. I once got an evenly cooked bowl without stirring. Once. Now I am on a quest to find the Grail again.

What's really cool is it cools down pretty quickly. I've forgotten and touched the metal soon after heating (when stirring the bowl) and only feel a little heat. It never burned me.

I like it. It allows me to keep my Zap in one place. It isn't stealthy while in use but can be placed in a pocket easily.

I wouldn't use it on the go because the Box is better in that regard. I've gotten more cautious (paranoid?) as I've gotten older. So stealth while out in the world is very important. But when I was younger it wouldn't have mattered.

Very good product. So simple and effective.

reece

Earths Essence said:
Earths Essence said:

Spacestein, maybe you haven't had a vape session in a couple hours, and you're irritable. I understand.

A broad statement would be: "The Glass Vapo-Bowl and MFLB are better than the Lotus."
--Did you pass highschool english?

Looks like you have a secret love affair with the Lotus, based off of your signature. Sound like you're just being biased.

You don't understand what broad brushed means and you're coming off quite poorly right now. You did say they were better than a Lotus. Adding that it is your opinion doesn't change it.

For instance. If I say, "All of 'insert group of people' are lazy," or "All of 'insert group of people' are lazy in my opinion," there is no difference. Both are broad generalizations of a group of people. Stating it is my opinion doesn't change that. If I stated reasons I felt that way, it would still be broad brushing a group of people based on my experience with a few in that group.

Can you explain why an opinion cannot be a broad brushed statement?

reece,

Spacenstein

Earths Essence said:
Hahahahaha I thought that was a conversation between me and lwien ONLY. You can't hear the tone of my voice so just get out of here. I hope you know lwien personally, or you look like a complete idiot defending someone you don't actually know.

I'm not defending anyone.. I'm telling you that the way you're speaking in this thread isn't acceptable and I'm sure others agree with me. lwien is a great contributer to this forum-- He answers questions and strives to help other users, I'd gladly defend him if I had to.

Earths Essence said:
Sorry, but I wasn't talking to you. Don't bother replying. Loser.

Unlike you, I can reply with a mature post. FYI, name calling isn't allowed in the forum.

Earths Essence said:

Okay, I agree with you.. what you said is an opinion. Now explain it.. that's all we were asking you--

Earths Essence said:

You're the only one who sounds irritable, right now. You're attacking others in the thread for no apparent reason, and becoming very defensive.

Earths Essence said:

No. It proves that I've taken the time to give full attention to one vaporizer so I can adequately review the unit and help others learn about it. You on the other hand, seem to of sold your unit after only about a week of use.. which makes your statements and opinions a little less solid.

#EDIT# Sorry for taking up this space in the Lotus thread. Won't happen again.

Spacenstein,

David and Michael

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Reece said: But it is easy to achieve combustion.

The Lotus was designed so that you could combust the contents if you wanted to. The thought was that the temperature couldn't be perfect, so would it be better to run on the hot side or cold side of perfect, with hot giving you charred material and cool giving you unvaporized material? We decided to run the Lotus on the hot side. What are your thoughts?

jackmormon

Definitely hotter. It is pretty easy to control the temperature and not char if you desire. In fact the temperature control of the Lotus is one of its benefits, IMO.

A couple of things that consistently impress me with the Lotus are the quickness of use and ability to get really strong vape hits. I usually do two bowls, two hits each. This gets me to about the same place as 7 or 8 hits off of more material in my SSV. Although portable, the Lotus also makes a great home vape :D

the ob

all good in the hood.
Max Jitter said:

The Lotus was designed so that you could combust the contents if you wanted to. The thought was that the temperature couldn't be perfect, so would it be better to run on the hot side or cold side of perfect, with hot giving you charred material and cool giving you unvaporized material? We decided to run the Lotus on the hot side. What are your thoughts?

I would rather have a vape, where it was harder to combust the material. I guess one of the issues is that you cannot see if you are combusting until after you take the lid off.

For me, the point of vaping is to not combust any longer.

I would rather have something that protected me against combusting. That is my opinion obviously.

the ob,
I'd personally like to see a Lotus+ or Lotus Deluxe which would feature a bigger (wider, not deeper) bowl and cap, for all the cloud chasers. The idea of a hot/cap cool cap is great though.

charliedontsurf,

David and Michael

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Spacenstein said:
JDSupreme said:
Offer "hot cap" or "cool cap" ?

Smart idea!!!!! I'm sure this could be easily achieved with just different thicknesses of the heat plate?

That is a good idea but we are trying to go in the direction of simplicity, not more parts and complication. We could probably make a high performance model that is adjustable but would be more expensive. I think that it would be of more interest to the FC posters than to the general public.

An option for right now is to use a dual flame lighter. It totally changes the character of the Lotus for the better. Everything is vaped in 2-3 seconds with no motion of the lighter (no circles) and no need to stir 'cause its all gone in one pass.

Put the flames at 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock and that's it. There's no hot spot for feedback and its easier to scorch material but its worth it.

reece

Max Jitter said:

I tend to side with minimizing the chances of combustion but if the intent is for the Lotus to have the dual function I think you have succeeded. I didn't realize it was meant for both uses.

I had a bowl earlier where I started off with the lighter farther away than usual, and I also started inhaling a little sooner. This time, three hits and no combustion at all.

There is effort involved in keeping the temps below the burn zone. Sometimes I am definitely in the mood to be involved in the vaporization process and the Lotus allows me to scratch that itch.

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
But IMO the Lotus IS a pipe that is more difficult to achieve combustion with. Compared to the closest thing (a VG) it takes a bit more of an effort to combust. The indicator is in the taste - no visual needed. I can tell EVERYTIME when I (or someone else) combusts. Its all about the learning curve IMO, and thats one of the things that we have to work with when it comes to a portable that can be as thorough as this one. :)

Top Bottom