The J-hook thread!

coolbreeze

at what point do these crazy j hooks lose practicality from a cleaning and handling perspective? I found just a regular j hook cools plenty and the simplicity was the beauty of it. I feel like my clumsy self would snap this at the joint the moment I touch it lol
They're mostly not too bad to deal with, a little ISO and a water pik and you're good. For handling, my concern with that one would be the high center of gravity with a heavier vape, it might feel tippy. On the whole the key issue for me is the angle of the joint: if the vape sits too high or is angled away at all, it's harder to see the heat intake on a torch vape.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
at what point do these crazy j hooks lose practicality from a cleaning and handling perspective? I found just a regular j hook cools plenty and the simplicity was the beauty of it. I feel like my clumsy self would snap this at the joint the moment I touch it lol

Confirmed it is not at all difficult to clean these, with the fixed large pearls, I imagine it would be annoying with loose smaller pearls... These also cool a lot more than a regular J hook, I never ever use my regular old basic hooks anymore... These are still extremely simple so they still have that beauty along with extra beauty! Furthermore the glass is super thick from GVB, if you are capable of snapping it at the joint at all let alone the moment you touch it then I don't think that has anything to do with your clumsiness, I think that'd make you insanely strong like an old school freak show...?

olysh pops

Received this morning, beautiful and magnetic glasspipe made of black forest oak wood by 420eng (and its CouchLog stem and HI)

GLASSPIPE-BLACKFOREST-OAK-5.jpg

GLASSPIPE-BLACKFOREST-OAK-4.jpg

GLASSPIPE-BLACKFOREST-OAK-3.jpg

I was surprised all day by its ability to cool the steam :D

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I'll be the latest to chime in that I have a j-hook with beads from GVB. I have never had a problem cleaning it as I just use ISO and these plugs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XYD2760/

I find it easier to clean than some of my pieces with dimples.

SquirrelMaster

Confirmed it is not at all difficult to clean these, with the fixed large pearls, I imagine it would be annoying with loose smaller pearls... These also cool a lot more than a regular J hook, I never ever use my regular old basic hooks anymore... These are still extremely simple so they still have that beauty along with extra beauty! Furthermore the glass is super thick from GVB, if you are capable of snapping it at the joint at all let alone the moment you touch it then I don't think that has anything to do with your clumsiness, I think that'd make you insanely strong like an old school freak show...?
Do the GVB hooks have thicker glass than his stems? I found the stems to be thin, at least compared to my Phineas808 stems which are roughly twice as thick.

Shit Snacks

Do the GVB hooks have thicker glass than his stems? I found the stems to be thin, at least compared to my Phineas808 stems which are roughly twice as thick.

Well it all varies, but the color glass tubing is thicker... The clear is certainly not something I would describe as thin though, and in any case it is certainly not weak but very strong

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Grass Yes

Vapordeflor

Hey FC! I love this thread. Thanks all for creating it!

Just got a new J-Hook from PT Glass, @phanthuong0305 (@tukatukera is your guy) and I'm just delighted with its function, aside from the cooling which is amazing, the carb hole is positioned perfectly for the most ergonomic use. Below I leave a little video with the most common use this piece will serve, vaping dry sift on the PT Glass Rocket. Have a good weekend all!!

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I spent some time wondering about this. I had never noticed a difference but I thought I would measure to find out.
PXL-20230408-182222524.jpg

Left to right:
GVB j-hook: 2.8mm
GVB TM stem: 2.0mm
Phineas TM stem: 2.5mm

I am sure they will vary but those were the ones I pulled out first from my collection.

SquirrelMaster

I spent some time wondering about this. I had never noticed a difference but I thought I would measure to find out.
PXL-20230408-182222524.jpg

Left to right:
GVB j-hook: 2.8mm
GVB TM stem: 2.0mm
Phineas TM stem: 2.5mm

I am sure they will vary but those were the ones I pulled out first from my collection.
Ah so just glass variances, that's good to know. I was a little overzealous with my thickness claims, my Phineas isn't double (though it looks much thicker at a glance). These are the thicknesses of my stems.
Stock - 1.96mm
Phineas808- 2.54mm
GVB - 1.82mm

XpeeN

So, 4/20 is coming. Anyone heard about some jhooks (I need male jhooks, but I get others will enjoy females jhooks too) deals? :)

XpeeN,

MidwestMelancholy

butane vape enthusiast
Hello friends

I'm having issues finding the PT glass website to pick up a J hook. Any help with PT glass or someone willing to do an easy custom hook would be appreciated. Custom hook would just be with some dimples to help it stand, thicker walls and maybe fume it to change color because why not.

MidwestMelancholy,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Hello friends

I'm having issues finding the PT glass website to pick up a J hook. Any help with PT glass or someone willing to do an easy custom hook would be appreciated. Custom hook would just be with some dimples to help it stand, thicker walls and maybe fume it to change color because why not.
The only PT Glass that I know is the guy who makes the glass vapcap. Haven't seen the j-hooks. If you are in the US, Oregon Glass Blower does excellent work. Everything is built on demand so you can get good custom work that way:

Good Vibes Boro makes great hooks too, but they mostly have boro balls for cooling rather than dimples for cooling. You could always check if he has customs open.

Although the simple hook you describes sounds a lot like what TRWW makes:

Although you mentioned "dimples to make it stand", so it might be more complicated than I pictured.

Shit Snacks

Hello friends

Cloud Connoisseur Xeric sounds pretty much what you want, might want to wait for a different color choice if you specifically just want plain fumed...? Also HMK glass though they are pretty tiny, customs generally take a while from some, but not all glass workers, if you skim this thread and the heady thread you should find some good Instagram artists that could do what you want as well... Good luck!

MidwestMelancholy

butane vape enthusiast
The only PT Glass that I know is the guy who makes the glass vapcap. Haven't seen the j-hooks. If you are in the US, Oregon Glass Blower does excellent work. Everything is built on demand so you can get good custom work that way:

Good Vibes Boro makes great hooks too, but they mostly have boro balls for cooling rather than dimples for cooling. You could always check if he has customs open.

Although the simple hook you describes sounds a lot like what TRWW makes:

Although you mentioned "dimples to make it stand", so it might be more complicated than I pictured.
Those are all fantastic! thank you for taking time to point me in the right direction on my quest.

MidwestMelancholy,
Reactions: Grass Yes

MidwestMelancholy

butane vape enthusiast
Cloud Connoisseur Xeric sounds pretty much what you want, might want to wait for a different color choice if you specifically just want plain fumed...? Also HMK glass though they are pretty tiny, customs generally take a while from some, but not all glass workers, if you skim this thread and the heady thread you should find some good Instagram artists that could do what you want as well... Good luck!
Dooope!!

Top Bottom