The J-hook thread!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
If you use your j hook in regular position, you have to use your battery vape upside down. With the piece I'm thinking of, you don't have to turn it upside down. It's a nuisance I wouldn't mind evading, as I don't like keeping my tm upside down.

Okay, so I prefer to use it upside down, to keep it more pristine, that was part of the idea of me designing the sidecar triple right angle hook, I wanted to keep the TM upside down... However I have used it right side up with the sidecar hook easily as well!

Yeah following the straight tube from the photo isn't obligatory, could always add a bend. That would negate the double sided function though.

Yeah using GVB straight stems is fun for a different experience now, reminded of that more, but even then I'm not really holding the TM right side up it's more of an angle?

I don't know what you mean about the leds? If the device isn't upside down, you wouldn't see them. Also the device would be farther away from your face than the j hooks I've seen posted. This puece you could just drop the female joint - after it is turned straight up - on your battery vape with wpa.

Well with the TM to the LED comes from the top and the bottom, using it at an angle with a regular stem it's not a problem, but yeah depending on the exact orientation upside down it can be a problem or even right side up for me now... It's more about finding a way to avoid eye contact with it, or rather covering it with my finger, which is easy to do when the TM is upside down held in one hand in the sidecar right angle hook for me... I don't think I really understand the rest of what you're saying lol may need a visual

Thing quacks like a duck, seems pretty on topic to me? I mean it's shaped like a j lol

I think also you misunderstood what I meant, which was that this feels like a topic specific to the TM, the way we were discussing it lol

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Okay, so I prefer to use it upside down, to keep it more pristine, that was part of the idea of me designing the sidecar triple right angle hook, I wanted to keep the TM upside down... However I have used it right side up with the sidecar hook easily as well!

Why do you think holding it upside down will help keep it more pristine?

Hook upside down is doable but it doesn't make for a comfortable session.

Yeah using GVB straight stems is fun for a different experience now, reminded of that more, but even then I'm not really holding the TM right side up it's more of an angle?

Of course, but I think it suffices to say upside down and straight up in stead of exact degrees haha. I mean there's horizontal and after you twist it plenty in one direction it becomes either straight up or upside down, right?

I think also you misunderstood what I meant, which was that this feels like a topic specific to the TM, the way we were discussing it lol
I mentioned it can be used with other vapes as well though, and I said battery powered vapes for a reason, because it's not just tm compatible or anything.

As for visual here's the best I can do now lol

This is my schematic rendition of the photo of that j hook I posted above.

Below you'll find a schematic rendition of my proposed change: the joint that was parallel to the stem is now facing upward.

Shit Snacks

Why do you think holding it upside down will help keep it more pristine?

Just OCD, less risk of any possible crumb particle falling onto the heater screen, it's not even an issue here because everything is fully cleanable and it is a rare occurrence easily remedied lol moreso a focus for my 18 mm connection vapes but yeah I was really basing most of what I was saying about these hooks in this conversation around the TM, that's what baby face was getting the hook for anyway

As for visual here's the best I can do now lol

This is my schematic rendition of the photo of that j hook I posted above.

Okay yeah I can see how something like that would be good, the reason I added the sidecar mouthpiece was again to avoid having the light directly in my face with the TM, however I have been thinking of getting one of these made for a Toad that would not need the sidecar mouthpiece and could be straight just like this... I was also thinking it would not be a WPA, but a plain stem to go directly into the toad (I had hoped Nicholas and France would be able to make one like that for the TM too but it never happened)

Below you'll find a schematic rendition of my proposed change: the joint that was parallel to the stem is now facing upward.

Thank you! I think I understand now, so it is like the L hook rather, only sidecar style! See how the dimensions can be so different when we're just using words haha even a crude photo helps!!

When I got my initial order with the first sidecar hook from OGB, I also got a right angle whip adapter, to use as a mini right angle mouthpiece with TM and WPA, never used it much because it didn't offer quite enough cooling of course, this would be a more proper design although I don't think I would require these ergonomics for any vape I use really? Personal preferences, you can definitely get one made though

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

it is like the L hook rather, only sidecar style
You got the lingo. This is exactly it lol and it only took you a short sentence :$

less risk of any possible crumb particle falling onto the heater screen
But do you keep it upside down all the time? O get the ocd thing lol but I'm more scared the heat will damage internals holding it upside down.

Abele Rizieri Ferrari,
  • Love
Reactions: Shit Snacks

Shit Snacks

You got the lingo. This is exactly it lol and it only took you a short sentence :$

Haha yes thank you, now that I understood I was able to descriptively paraphrase efficiently and effectively I guess!

But do you keep it upside down all the time? O get the ocd thing lol but I'm more scared the heat will damage internals holding it upside down.

I mean, I will lie it down on its side, on the table between hits, but I specifically try not to flip it right side up (really more of a priority before the first hit or two is taken) but there is absolutely nothing to fear about heat upside down damaging internals? I always fully clear my hits of any vapor and heat, so I don't see how that could ever be an issue...?

Specifically thinking of TM, but even with the TP80 I have accidentally left it cruising at a high temp, while it is upside down sitting on the table (that is how I pretty much always keep it in fact, so it is at a little angle, if it is not on its wide sides flat) more than once, which has led me to frustration and modest panic, but there has been zero effects (I'm just careful to help it cool off quicker and rest, sometimes you can smell the warmer wood) normally in use, I am turning it off when I finish a hit, but even if I keep it cruising, I am removing it from the bowl completely to clear the vapor...

Almost every vape I own I hit upside down most of the time. The Altas is a notable exception and now I am thinking I should try to make it work with my hydratube.

Haha yeah, it's not necessary for an injector vape, because the vape is already upside down, on top of the injector bowl, so basically that is how I use my Tetra, the 18 mm male bowl sits there just like the female injector bowl wood with the herbs, then I bring the female tetra on top and remove it as I finish the hit, just like how I would use the Atlas and Halo and Zenith (Z would be better to try upside down more stable, with an adapter and VXL ELB I think it could work though I have not tried it yet and I'm not that motivated honestly though I have nice hydro tubes I find them less convenient to use these days compared to other regular rigs)

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

I always fully clear my hits of any vapor and heat, so I don't see how that could ever be an issue...?
It's probably the same with your fear of debris then. Some vapor, will always rise because you won't 100% start hitting once vapor starts producing and also after a hit vapor will continue to come. It's just both (debris and vapor) at such low levels that out worries might be uncalled for.

Abele Rizieri Ferrari,
  • Haha
Reactions: Shit Snacks

Shit Snacks

It's probably the same with your fear of debris then. Some vapor, will always rise because you won't 100% start hitting once vapor starts producing and also after a hit vapor will continue to come. It's just both (debris and vapor) at such low levels that out worries might be uncalled for.

That actually doesn't make any sense to me, since I'm talking about pure convection and on demand, there is no vapor created unless I am inhaling the hot air through it... If I stop inhaling, then yes there could be residual vapor, that is why I always let go of the button deactivate the heater or remove the heater from the stem bowl of herbs completely while I continue inhaling to fully clear the hit... So yeah after the hit, no vapor either, I'm not sure exactly what you are describing then, it seems like it could only possibly apply to a session (often hybrid) device...?? Which I almost never use anyway (excited about the Angus though I remain personally skeptical largely for this reason). There's been talk of people taking vapes apart, heavily used vapes, and there is often particles throughout the heater, but suppose I believe it would be less if the user was more careful as I am (although generally it may not matter for any practical effect)

Last edited:

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

there is no vapor created unless I am inhaling the hot air through it...
I am not so sure that the heat that is created and stored around the herb (the glass stem), especially mid session, won't cause the herb to vaporize some shit. (Which is also why the 100% convection claim is something I could never wrap my head around, though I never really got into researching it either, but ime there seems to be radiant heating going on as well.)

So yeah after the hit, no vapor either
How are you so sure? Not all vapor is visible. And the glass is still hot af.

Anyway it's getting pretty off topic now and it's not that much of an interesting discussion either imo, as I'm not that afraid either of our tm's will fail because of one of those respective issues :D

Abele Rizieri Ferrari,
Reactions: Grass Yes

dman28

Vaping for the health of it.

I always use my TM upside down. Less risk of particulate in the heater. Doubt it would cause any heat related issues using it as such.

Shit Snacks

I am not so sure that the heat that is created and stored around the herb (the glass stem), especially mid session, won't cause the herb to vaporize some shit. (Which is also why the 100% convection claim is something I could never wrap my head around, though I never really got into researching it either, but ime there seems to be radiant heating going on as well.)

I am sure, and there is no true session really, depending how the hits are spaced out, that is my point, this does not apply to an on-demand vape, it could only apply to a session vape... If you're using a glass stem, pure convection on demand vape, I wouldn't use the term 100% because yeah, but anything else is super minimal, and after taking a hit clearing the heat, the glass stem and inside might feel hot, but is nowhere near hot enough to create any vapor, invisible or otherwise (I also don't really believe in invisible vapor frankly it's always visible if you have the right conditions no matter how low of a temp, I really really really doubt there is any type of vapor at all from a warm glass stem etc) The radiant heat is so minimal and again I am clearing the heat with my hits so there is no issue like you are describing imo in my experience

How are you so sure? Not all vapor is visible. And the glass is still hot af.

I just answered this above, hot AF is not scientific at all (not that I am the most scientific either lol) I'm telling you the way I use it there is no residual vapor, invisible or otherwise... (another reason for this is that any potential invisible vapors from low temp vaping would have already been extracted with that big hit so there is nothing left that could be extracted at such a low level of that warm glass, it is already gone by then)

Even in the firewood7, which is not pure convection at all, but is on demand, you can fully clear your hit and the heat, though it is trickier with the strong conduction, yes that hot ceramic, but you can cool it enough with your draw in one hit so it is not creating residual vapor either (one way you can tell people are not doing that, is how dirty the oven chamber lid becomes, mine is pretty spotless) it can be more difficult to do with the FW7, but my point is if its an on-demand vape, then its entirely possible to control...

Then even more so if the chamber is completely removable after a hit, even with a desktop session vape, the surfaces really don't get hot enough to create residual vapor after a good hit in any of my experiences...

Anyway it's getting pretty off topic now and it's not that much of an interesting discussion either imo, as I'm not that afraid either of our tm's will fail because of one of those respective issues :D

Haha yeah you see what I mean how now we definitely drifted further I don't even know where this would apply outside of a PM maybe, perhaps you and I need to find a way to get together and compare in person! Because I really don't understand how what you're saying is possible practically though I guess you feel the same way about me lol:cheers::spliff:

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Color opal heady hooks for $200 each...
Screenshot-20221030-104809.png

Shit Snacks

How hot do j hooks get? Do people wrap them in anything?

It depends on the vapor using, of course and the temperatures, but yes the part that the hot vapor hits directly will become hot, particularly if the glass is not super thick, so you want to have room to hold it elsewhere is all, as most have plenty of space depending on the hooks of course

PolskaT

Hi all, does anyone know how to get hold of Nicholas at phytohightech? I have messaged on Facebook and emailed etc as I want to purchase the JHook they have on their website but with a less restricted draw but no one is getting back to me.

PolskaT,

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Hi all, does anyone know how to get hold of Nicholas at phytohightech? I have messaged on Facebook and emailed etc as I want to purchase the JHook they have on their website but with a less restricted draw but no one is getting back to me.
Try chat. Maybe there's also phone # if so you can text

Abele Rizieri Ferrari,
Top Bottom