The HighLighter (Glass-Core Open-Source Halogen Log) Kit Hosted by REFC Labs

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
My VVPS output is not so stable. I’d like to have better control pre-heating the HLT.
Maybe something like ToolkitRC P200 ? Isn’t perfect for the HLT?
It should work but I think you will need cable with banana clips for the HLT.

I love my ATM, and I would recommend that for a stable, programmable PS. You can build one pretty cheaply, even if you can't import the case from REFC.

GoldenBud

ye ATM or a new VVPS. maybe the people who manufacture the 3V-12V, 5A that being sold in Amazon.com don't believe people will use it like at 4A constantly or so, so it needs to be replaced every once in a while :/

Fesob_31

The cheap amazon VVPS isn’t bad, for the price, most of the times it keeps the right voltage but sometimes tends to drift 0,2-0,3V, even 0,4V once.
The ATM i should import it or build it on my own but i would like to have too many stuff and cables on my desk.
The Toolkit P200 seems very small, efficient and the extra usb-c port is always useful.
Sure, it’s not cheap but it’s ready out of the box. I don’t like to spend this money, not having preset-memory button to recall but I only need it for the hlt since I don’t have any other Log vaporizer. I suspect that I can’t rely on a smart plug to switch it on, like I’m doing with the Amazon VVPS…

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
If there was a ready-to-use kit, I would have bought a HighLighter immediately.
I'm not a handyman at all 😅🤣
I totally understand that. Although I think that would be buying a different vape. It's pretty easy to assemble, but there are steps where you could screw it up and have to start over. There are very few steps that can't be undone, like cutting the foil to size in the current kit.

I am sure someone would happily assemble kits, but I would not be confident that they would stay properly assembled when sent through the mail. It is just a tube holding some boro balls with a bulb in socket. Everything is tension fit. A modified version would probably be easier to ship assembled, but that would be a different goal, I think.

Maybe you can find an electronics enthusiast locally. I suspect you have the skill to assemble it yourself, but I know that time is hard to find.

BigJr48

In the instructional video I got lost in the winding of the thin copper wire.

BigJr48,

Philabrookla

@philabrookla
Has anyone considered swapping the balls out for different materials like sic or something? I'm not necessarily looking for a different heat profile, but it'd be nice to block the light a bit. I get it in my eyes too often :doh:

But yeah the HLT has made a comeback as my daily driver since my recent purchase of Ed's TnT 18/14 wood stems. Already had his log shell but the stems were another huuge upgrade for me. More upgrades!!

Putting together that kit for a friend would be doing a huge favor, but very fulfilling. Especially for someone who wants something punchier for as cheap as possible, without going full enail.

I also know you can use a handle and keep it facing down to avoid blinding, but I like to have it in a log so the heat rises out.

Philabrookla

@philabrookla
@Philabrookla wrap some aluminum foil around it...will block the light and add some heat retention...but of course you'll still get light out of the end of it. I have a handle on mine and always lay it facing away from me on a silicon mat.
Yeah I have a handle, I like the mat idea, but being on a coffee table I'm likely to get it in my eyes anyway. Also I love logs. We're gonna figure it out because yeah the light coming out the end is getting to me lol.

oldfool

the light coming out the end is getting to me
Ruby balls make for less light.
IMG-2518.jpg

RichardsBag

Ruby balls make for less light.
What are you using to secure it in the bottom? I just got some 3mm and 4mm rubies and thinking about trying this. Any change in performance?Also. do you think your method would work for securing the HLT into the Ed 's TNT heatshield?

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Inspired by a discussion on the G43 thread, I tried my HLT powered by my Wismec RX Gen3 Dual:
Question.. Have you tried hooking up the HLT to a Sled or Mod. Wondering if it's possible to do like the G43
I tried it at 14W at first, then upped it to 20W for much better results. About a 5 minute heat soak for each seems right. I'd say it was similar to the HLT powered by the ATM at 5.0V.
hlt-mod.jpg

A fun exercise, but probably not practical for me. Also after about 20 minutes the mod got too hot and shut down temporarily.

oldfool

What are you using to secure it in the bottom?
This 1mm thick silicone cut into strips and wrapped around the glass core for a snug fit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JYYDNZG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Any change in performance?
With the bottom sealed and slits cut in the glass for air intake, I'm at 5.6V.
Still going strong for over two years.

Don't see how this would replace the o-rings in the Ed 's TNT heatshield.

hendrix

Inspired by a discussion on the G43 thread, I tried my HLT powered by my Wismec RX Gen3 Dual:

I tried it at 14W at first, then upped it to 20W for much better results. About a 5 minute heat soak for each seems right. I'd say it was similar to the HLT powered by the ATM at 5.0V.
hlt-mod.jpg

A fun exercise, but probably not practical for me. Also after about 20 minutes the mod got too hot and shut down temporarily.
Thanks Grass for doing that experiment. Although it worked, looks like not ideal for portable use, but worth a shot!

RedEyeFlightControl

Inventor,Maker, Pro Nerd, Entgineer, GladScientist
Manufacturer

hlt-mod.jpg

This has been the general consensus, it's just a little too much work for a mod to do. They tend to overheat which is why we don't see many of them. Clean work, looks great though!

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
I just cross posted this in the Couchlog thread. Best portable log solution Imho

I’ve seen this posted elsewhere and used it successfully.

you can use any 12v Power Delivery (PD) battery found on Amazon with this cable.

(2-Pack) JacobsParts 12V USB C Type-C PD Trigger 3ft 5A Power Cable 5.5 x 2.1mm DC Connector https://a.co/d/c4DDr0A

i use a 26,800 mah and get 6-8 hours easy

Top Bottom