The HI

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
Received my first HI yesterday, got one of the pre-built square units to hold me off until my name comes up on the customs list. I know it’s been mentioned several times, but it’s shocking when you see first hand just how small these units are (I thought Alan sent accessories only as I didn’t think that sized box could hold a HI). Went with walnut on cherry base, beautiful craftsmanship. I held off on extra stems until I can figure out what works from my growing stash of log stems and glass accessories, and then figure out what I actually need. I’ll get some pics uploaded soon.

OrsonWhales

Received my first HI yesterday, got one of the pre-built square units to hold me off until my name comes up on the customs list. I know it’s been mentioned several times, but it’s shocking when you see first hand just how small these units are (I thought Alan sent accessories only as I didn’t think that sized box could hold a HI). Went with walnut on cherry base, beautiful craftsmanship. I held off on extra stems until I can figure out what works from my growing stash of log stems and glass accessories, and then figure out what I actually need. I’ll get some pics uploaded soon.
Enjoy! It’s a lovely piece. I did the same as you. Grabbed a Square cherry to tide me over until my name came up. I use it everyday.

darkstar72

Nice. A possible roasting stem/tube addition could be a low budget WPA. Pair a 2" glass tube (~ $5 at toasty-top.com/tubes - it comes with a formed screen) and a 1/2" long silicone sleeve ($.50) over the glass tube's bottom end and this should allow an air tight fit with 14mm female glass joint.

I just reread that you have other log stems. Maybe the above suggestion does not apply.

Last edited:

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
Nice. A possible roasting stem/tube addition could be a low budget WPA. Pair a 2" glass tube (~ $5 at toasty-top.com/tubes - it comes with a formed screen) and a 1/2" long silicone sleeve ($.50) over the glass tube's bottom and this should allow an air tight fit with 14mm female glass joint.
I appreciate the tip. Two roasting tubes came with my package, one being the TurboTube (it works on my UD logs and WS logs as well, loose connection on my E-nanos), and a stainless steel roasting tube (perfect fit on the UD logs). I have a lot of UD accessories and they all fit perfectly on the HI (better than the fit on the UD in some cases), the thick glass direct draw, all versions of the GonG, all versions of the NonG, all versions of the nylon direct draw, and even the copper aromatherapy cups seem custom made for the HI. This was really good to find out, and I am now set for accessories for my entry level HI. I can now put more money towards a bunch of Alan’s custom wood based roasting tubes when my custom number comes up. Looking forward to firing this HI up this weekend.

happynomoretobacco

My square arrived today - only 8 days over the ocean. Bravo little postpony!!!
But the ugly lazy stinky postman was to lazy to come to the 4th floor :bang:
So i only get notification in my box. Went to the postoffice and they said no. I can get it on monday:puke:aaaaaaahhhhhh. Fuck them

NKB

works like a charm, the flavour is top notch(glass is glass..) , used all my Solo II stems with the HI. tiny note: remember that the stem is not 100% secured. the stem doesn't get inside the HI's cover, but sits on it, so if you make a quick move or strong move, in my case, you can break the glass.. If you're a gentle person with glass all good. I replaced it to 3/8'' cover.

For dry usage it will be great, when it gets any WPA usage, I prefer the 3/8'' any time
Thanks GoldenBud! Looking forward to posting pics when it arrives.

happynomoretobacco

Now it gets curious. I tried one more and finally got my parcel.
But have the vvps in my other flat and dont get it before tomorrow. :bang:
But on other side - my HI is so beautiful and like others already said much more small and leightweighted than expected.

Are there Tips how to start right out the box? 12V and heat-soak before start?
I have the small ss cover

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
But on other side - my HI is so beautiful and like others already said much more small and leightweighted than expected.

Give it a good 10 to 20 minutes at 12v you may want to turn it down or up, if you skim through the thread you will find the tips, it also depends what stem you are using, I can't remember what voltage I was last running my small 3/8 standard steel core HI at exactly, but that does sound right...

happynomoretobacco

Give it a good 10 to 20 minutes at 12v you may want to turn it down or up, if you skim through the thread you will find the tips, it also depends what stem you are using, I can't remember what voltage I was last running my small 3/8 standard steel core HI at exactly, but that does sound right...
For what is the beeswax?

happynomoretobacco,

GoldenBud

usually 12v power supplies will work well, but lol i combusted with a xiaomi 12v router power supplier. 12v can also be 12.9v or 13.1v and you can never know. test it with fast draw, and hope for good. another 2 different 12v worked really well

if you're having an ash-catcher on the bubbler, remove it, try it with the minimal setup so if you combust.... you have less things to wash

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
If you are using a VVPS you don't have to worry about the power supply specific voltage, I've never used one of these straight from a power supply without a VVPS, though the simplicity sounds appealing, the lack of control does not (you'd have to move screen up and down in the stem to temp step)

For what is the beeswax?

You were given beeswax? That can be used to condition the wood over time, it arrives already ready and treated, and I've never treated any of mine since without any issue

OrsonWhales

If you are using a VVPS you don't have to worry about the power supply specific voltage, I've never used one of these straight from a power supply without a VVPS, though the simplicity sounds appealing, the lack of control does not (you'd have to move screen up and down in the stem to temp step)

You were given beeswax? That can be used to condition the wood over time, it arrives already ready and treated, and I've never treated any of mine since without any issue
I asked Alan a question about straight 12vdc power supplies. You almost need the watt meter and micro voltage controller because their specs vary so much, especially under load. Some may not be compatible. That said I’ve run my off my car auxiliary power without issue. No controller.

happynomoretobacco

To wax your wood. Only when needed of course. Mine came with some as well.
How i see if it is needed?

if you're having an ash-catcher on the bubbler, remove it, try it with the minimal setup so if you combust.... you have less things to wash
I am normaly a direct draw guy. I got a ss stem a long glass stem and @Alan gifted me an paper rostig tube.

Just some hours than my vvps ( with wife lol) arrives. I want to play with my new toy!!!!!

happynomoretobacco,

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
How i see if it is needed?

I am normaly a direct draw guy. I got a ss stem a long glass stem and @Alan gifted me an paper rostig tube.

Just some hours than my vvps ( with wife lol) arrives. I want to play with my new toy!!!!!
When the wood looks dry or dull, put a little wax on it, just like any wood that you want or need to condition. Look up the beeswax on Alan’s site, he gives tips on how to use it.

darkstar72

Was really enjoying my HI today. Once the log is warmed up it keeps cooking. I kept getting clouds. The first pull had amazing taste with the tilt method of mixing cool air. Later hits just kept producing vapor and the taste never got terrible. Made me realize how much more I can extract with this devise. Abv was much darker than normal. With the glass tubes it does not combust for me.

My small dose setup was using the turbo tube (just a small 2" glass tube, 10mm o.d. / 8mm i.d. - basically a short, narrow thin walled grass tube with a smallish herb chamber) in a j-hook. I covered the screen with just a millimeter or two of weed, packed it down a little and topped the small load with second screen. With Allen's double screen method it kept producing vapor. Made me realize the two screens enclosing the herb roasts nicely like an oven or something.

Last edited:

darkstar72

????

A flat or domed screen?

Can it be that i have to lower voltage when grind is finer to not combust?
8mm fitted screens from Alan.
Here is a picture of the roasting tube with two formed screens. There is a silicone sleeve at the bottom of the roasting tube to seal with the 14mm j-hook. The 3/8" HI heater cover butts up against the glass tube and the silicone sleeve at the top helps create a better seal. On the first hit I don't fully butt up the heater to the glass tube to allow outside air in for less heat. I start at 11.7 or so and then turn it up to 12.4v.
IMG-20220401-090824501-HDR.jpg

Top Bottom