The HI

stickstones

Vapor concierge
just got mine yesterday...if you're wondering how long it took to get it, I ordered mine when this thread was 11 pages long. i suggest you get your place in line now, as this thread and unit are going to take off!

weight -- I don't think it has any weight at all! Seriously, though, everyone has said they can't believe how small it is when they get it in their hands and they are right. Every person that gets one will be surprised. for some reason the pics here don't do its small size justice. When I get around to pics and all I will put one up with it next to a MFLB. That should give it some better perspective. All of it is small. I thought the tube to be used with glass was too long until I got it in my hands. The lightweight nature of the HI makes that tube perfectly short and small.

I'll get back to you on how it runs later. Yesterday was very hard to get anything set up with kids around all day. I snuck off with it and was impatient, hitting it before it had a proper warm up. The airflow is fantastic! I'm really looking forward to some real testing over the next couple of days.

Oh, and by the way, it's beautiful, Alan!

stickstones,

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
Congrats, stickstones! I'm jealous, but I have my place in line. Look forward to reading more from you after you get some alone time with it.

Cheers!

Vapinghole,

Gan

Hi Alan, Jon here, I just recently talked to you about getting on the wait list for a HI. Figured I'd post here so as to let other people see your answers to questions, too, so as to hopefully lessen the burden of questions that are inevetiably crowding your inventory! :)

Out of curiosity, would you be capable of doing carved or engraved letters, or would this take too much time? It'd be rad if I could get it to say "A man chooses" on one side, and "A slave obeys" on the other. That quote from Bioshock always got to me, and it's become a kind of personal mantra of sorts. I'd be willing to pay quite a bit more for this addition, but I certainly don't want to take too much time from other potential HI owners, as this is absolutely not a necessity. It'd just be one of those things to make it a bit more personal, and make me love the thing just that much more.

Thanks again for all of your patience with my excessive questions!

Gan,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Gan - I have done hand engraving, wood burning, and etching when I sign my artwork. The very bottom or inside the bottom bore would work. Just a bit more time.

stickstones - Thanks. Glad it arrived safely and you were able to use it a little. The size is always a surprise. I hope you will enjoy testing it fully.

hereatlast - Sounds like you are getting the technique down for the HI. Can't wait to hear more.

Alan,
Still not ready to post a full review, but I just wanted to share a technique I discovered last night that's allowing me to get REALLY thorough extraction from a tiny bit of weed. I don't have a .01 scale to measure the exact amount, but here goes:

Using a medium/medium-fine grind consistency, I use the suck-straw method to get a little weed into the silicone bowl of the 10mm glass turbo tube. Just enough so the bowl is just under half full without tampering with it. Next, I use the butt of the bamboo skewer to pack the herb down a little bit, so that it's securely packed into a little "coin" that's maybe just 2 millimeters deep. Not too tightly packed - you'll need to experiment to get it just right, but it's actually quite easy.

This restricts the airflow just a little bit, but not too much (despite the density of the "coin," it's still exposing a ton of surface area to the hot air, and it's thin enough and loose enough thanks to the grind consistency for the air to easily pass through). After hitting the unit quite hard (but remember, the airflow is still excellent so this isn't challenging by any means) for just a few seconds, you'll get an ENORMOUS cloud.

Next, stir the bowl using the pointed tip of the bamboo skewer and re-pack it using the butt end. Continue to do this between each hit, and I think you'll be amazed at just how much vapor (don't want to quantify it into "hits," since everyone's hits are sized differently) you get from a tiny bit of weed. Not to mention how thoroughly browned and crumbly ALL of the material will be by the time you're done.

OKcomputer,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Diary continued (I like to check in after sessions when using a vape for the first time, kind of like a diary. It's a chance for anyone new to vapor or the unit to see how the routine develops and see what things need to be tweaked.)

I hit it a little earlier for the second time. Gave it plenty of time to warm up and had no problem getting vapor. I still need to work my technique, as I am not getting it past a yellow color. I have it turned up further than the pics posted here earlier. Tonight I will keep messing with it until I get the temp just right...kids home early today (seems to happen a lot!). At first it is kind of a pain to find the sweet spot, but it's nice having all the variables. With the PD you got 190-195C and that's it. But between the VV power supply and adjusting the bowl insertion depth, there is a LOT of room for getting the 'just right' hit off a log vape...that's a new precedent set right there! The bowl depth has an effect...I noticed a dark spot along the edge of the bowl where the heat stem contacted the herb. I have no balls when it comes to pushing that thing in towards the heat source, which is probably why I have such light abv.

stickstones,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
@OKcomputer
I have been using this technique with the 14mm all glass gong attachment through my bubbler and have been getting really good results. I have found the perfect temperature for me is to use the old slim Jemeco 12v power supplies that use to come with the UD vapes.

*Edit*
@Sticks

I was having the problem of not being able to produce dark enough ABV with the HI VVPS even after cranking it all the way. I then started experimenting with the power supplies from the new CRZ, first generation UD, and new UD. I have found that the new CRZ, and new UD make the HI run really hot while the earlier Jameco UD PS runs the HI at just the right temperature for my needs. You may want to try your PD power supply and see what results you get.

Gonzo,
stickstones said:
I have no balls when it comes to pushing that thing in towards the heat source, which is probably why I have such light abv.

Aw, just push the damn thing in there! Do it gradually and you won't combust.

I actually seem to be having a problem with my VV, so Alan is sending me a new one for testing. In short, it's not running as hot as it was. Tried the HI with my PD power supply, and I was back to my preferred temp (a little hotter than my preferred temp, actually, which is why I'm hoping the replacement VV will do the trick). The technique I posted above was actually done using the PD power supply, not the VV.

If you continue to have trouble stickstones, you might want to try using one of your PD power supplies (or some other 12v) as well.

Gonzo said:
@OKcomputer
I have been using this technique with the 14mm all glass gong attachment through my bubbler and have been getting really good results. I have found the perfect temperature for me is to use the old slim Jemeco 12v power supplies that use to come with the UD vapes.

I guess great minds think alike! (not that the technique is anything too innovative, but it certainly helped me in maximizing extraction) I have the 14mm gong turbo tube as well, looking forward to trying it out when I finally find some glass.

OKcomputer,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
:lol: OKcomputer beat me too it. I think my HI VVPS has an issue as well. Even at full crank I can't get nearly the heat I can with one of my standard 12v. With the standard 12v the Hi is really putting out some heat :ko:

Gonzo,
Thing is, I was able to get more than enough heat out of the VV PS during my first few days of using the HI, but that's not the case anymore. Was that your experience too Gonzo? And for that matter, did your VV PS seem to put out more juice initially, stickstones? Would be great to hear from iloveb00bs on this matter as well.

Hopefully the replacement Alan sends me will be a good one, since I won't have a back-up non-variable 12v once I sell my PD.

OKcomputer,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Thanks guys. I will crank the VV all the ay up tonight and see what happens. Then I will go to my PD power supply. I may just end up using the PD one anyhow since the way Alan makes this thing makes it easy to use the straight plug with his elbow adapter. If anything, computer, it was hotter the second time, but I gave it ample warm up time.

stickstones,

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
Gonzo said:
:lol: OKcomputer beat me too it. I think my HI VVPS has an issue as well. Even at full crank I can't get nearly the heat I can with one of my standard 12v. With the standard 12v the Hi is really putting out some heat :ko:

i've been having similar issues, sometimes it wouldn't get to temps. not really sure whats wrong either.

ilovebOObs,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I also got my HI yesterday. Pics first...

A size comparison with the TT:

And a size comparison to my smallest CRZ. You can see that they are close to the same height at about 3 1/2", but that the HI is much slimmer.

Someone had asked how much the HI weighs earlier. My HI, which is made of yew, is just shy of 3 oz. I have been experimenting with the glass turbo tube, both with water filtration and direct draw, the glass turbo tube with the ss insert (again both with and without water) and the nylon turbo tube with the silicone bowl. All have given me big hits. The air flow is much less restricted than the other log vapes, including the old core TT. I'm still getting used to it.

I also found that my vv seemed hotter yesterday than today. Could be my imagination as the HI still gets plenty warm to the touch. I came very close to combustion on one try where I had loaded the bowl too full. Less is more with this vape. I also had put the heatport all the way in to the tube.
I've found that "mom's marshmallow method" is really useful with this vape. If you start with your roasting tube inserted all the way into the heat port, the chance of scorching is much higher than if you gradually roast your herb. I agree that tamping the herb lightly is a good idea. I have a glass bead stir stick from Hot Box that fits in the tube perfectly and does the trick.

I have also been having trouble getting my herb past the light brown stage. I think this might be lack of practice since I managed to singe it the one time. So, I think more practice is in order! I think that I will try the standard 12v as well and see if it makes a difference.

PurpleDazed

momofthegoons said:
I have also been having trouble getting my herb past the light brown stage. I think this might be lack of practice since I managed to singe it the one time. So, I think more practice is in order! I think that I will try the standard 12v as well and see if it makes a difference.

My Poppa use to say Practice Makes Perfect.

But in this case I think its safe to say Practice Makes One Baked!!!

So Practice Practice Practice. (And I dont mean how ya get to carnagie hall)

Congrats on Snagging such a beautifull piece. (I am so envious for 2 reasons, 1 its beauty, And 2 Im still waiting for a paypal request, and have no clue what my Hi will look like yet.)

PurpleDazed,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Ok...finished a session on the highest setting. Still light abv, but a great buzz! I have it plugged into the 12v now to try later tonight. This thing does what I wanted...more airflow and bigger bowl. I hit one bowl as hard as I could and I am sky high!! Three sessions in and it's already a great acquisition...thanks, Alan!!

stickstones,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
So Sticks.....where's your pics? :lol:

I must say mine is a beauty. I forgot to add to my post a big ole thank you to Alan. :D

momofthegoons,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
You are welcome mom. Thanks for posting the pics. It is a unique piece of wood. You will be getting nicely brown bowls with some practice.

You are welcome stickstones. Nice to have some power options.

I will replace any variable voltage power supplies that are not working properly. Hopefully, it is just a few and not the power supply design. It is very new and I have been taking a chance on it. We will see how the new batch work when they arrive.

Alan,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Stunning piece mom - really lovely swirlyness :)

A question for those who are using the VV's. Couldn't you get as much variation with a fixed (FV) by altering screen depth, grind, pack, hit technique etc.? And if so, isn't it just easier to use the FV then?

J.R.R.Tokin',

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
J.R.R., that would certainly make some difference. I have a feeling I'm probably not going to be using the vv as much as a fv as I am using the vv at the top setting. But, I also haven't had much time to practice. I'm about to head upstairs for the night and give it another go. ;)

momofthegoons,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
I guess it's all relatively new. Everyone needs a bit of time to experiment and then I'm sure we'll be getting some feed back on FV v VV for the HI. Personally I'm going to start with the FV and only get a VV if I feel the need.

Happy 'experimenting' mom - now see if you can 'experiment' yourself to sleep :D

J.R.R.Tokin',

Gan

I have done hand engraving, wood burning, and etching when I sign my artwork. The very bottom or inside the bottom bore would work. Just a bit more time.

That'd be great! The very bottom would work just fine for me. If it could be centered, and formatted like the below, that would be fantastic.

A man chooses
A slave obeys

I've no idea what each of those methods look like, so I'll differ to you to use whichever you think would look more appropriate.

Do you expect it will take longer than two weeks to finish? I don't care how long it takes, I'm just trying to decide if I should save my current paycheck, or buy myself more cannabis. :)

Gan,
Top Bottom