Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah they got back to me finally too, high volume of inquiries apparently. And they told me there is a parts shortage for the FF1 so could be a wait (every other one has been just replaced for me before, hope its not sitting there for two months since my brother's only other option is combustion...) I also asked about upgrading to an FF2 but yeah $99 is pretty steep when you already shelled out for the 1 and it keeps breaking

@Artvandelay (love the name btw) can't go wrong with a nice spare back up though, you may even like it more than the FF. VapCap would be your cheapest option and would also provide a very different experience. Otherwise I'd recommend checking out StickyBrick Sr/Jr and Lotus for pure convection torch power, Milaana for battery powered pure convection, and then there are quite a few decent Chinese options that are more conduction based but low priced (Fenix, CF, xmax and FM)

So after a few months of them having my FF and not having the parts to repair mine, they finally emailed me back and said they were going to send me another FF1. It came in the Mail a week later, I opened it up and it was a BRAND new firefly in box!! I don't know if they were sick of me wanting to hold out on parts or what, but I am a happy camper.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
So after a few months of them having my FF and not having the parts to repair mine, they finally emailed me back and said they were going to send me another FF1. It came in the Mail a week later, I opened it up and it was a BRAND new firefly in box!! I don't know if they were sick of me wanting to hold out on parts or what, but I am a happy camper.

Oh glad they did that, I had asked three times why it couldn't be replaced when that is what happened to me thrice before (never had to wait on a repair, they always just replaced it right away) but they never addressed that and instead let us upgrade to the Firefly 2 for a reasonable price, which should be nicer/better

mulciber

I've been off this forum, as my FF1 has been on the shelf, unused, for a long while. So forgive me if this has been talked about, but has FF ever floated the notion of a trade-in price for a perfectly good, working FF1? I had kind of assumed that once they got inventory issues worked out they might make an effort to move units by letting people trade in a FF1 with a 5-year warranty for a 2-year warranty FF2, at a discounted price. Am I just dreaming?

Thanks in advance.

mulciber,

barleecat

So I've had my Firefly 1 for almost a year now, has been sent in twice for repair now. Wasn't working quite right out of the box new and was sent in. A few months later it wasn't getting hot enough at all to produce vapor and even use. Sent it back and when it returned it ran waaaay hot and even combusted my herb almost every time. Had to re-learn to use it with new technique:sherlock: but now am at least able to get big draws and get ripped off the thing, and rarely combust though it's easy to make happen. Being so hot too it dries out and burns my herb quicker which sux. Maybe get 4 draws from full bowl vs 6 or so.

My issue now though is that a couple of weeks ago while doing general cleaning I noticed the O-ring coming out under the screen. I pulled the screen out and it pulled that o-ring out from under the glass bowl :hmm:. Well without o-ring it doesn't work very well at all. I honestly was able to gently work the o-ring back in under the bowl but obviously it's not in there correctly and my Firefly works just OK now.

Is it best to just call firefly and send it back? Probably....but hate to send it back of course, plus not sure it's a warranty thing, though seems it should be. I am fairly technically skilled...is it possible, anyone done this....to take it apart to just put that o-ring back in place without foo-barring anything or risking my warranty?

There might be something in the best of thread for the FF1. To my understanding if you take it apart it voids the warranty. I don't know if FF will be able to telll you took it apart or what. But it's the last thing I wanted to do on mine, no matter how curious I was as to fixing it. I would proceed with extreme caution and know that you might have a paper weight if FF can identify you opening it.

Artvandelay,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
There might be something in the best of thread for the FF1. To my understanding if you take it apart it voids the warranty. I don't know if FF will be able to telll you took it apart or what. But it's the last thing I wanted to do on mine, no matter how curious I was as to fixing it. I would proceed with extreme caution and know that you might have a paper weight if FF can identify you opening it.

Technically the warranty is only voided if you somehow break something in the process of re-assembling it. The "taking it apart" bit doesn't in itself void the warranty.

That said, I've never heard of anyone fixing this o-ring, so it might be prudent to just send it in for warranty service. I don't think re-seating the ring would be difficult but re-assembly can be tricky....the ceramic rings have to be aligned just so, and the whole assembly is held in place by the pressure of the steel plate. It's harder to get right than it looks. :2c:

Astedra

I got the grasshopper because somebody posted that it's better then the firefly, and I can say it's not. Grasshopper without a bubbler is just not a great vape, it gets too hot and the taste toward the end of the session is noticeable different. With the bubbler it's good, but it's hard for me to carry around a bubbler because I can only smoke outside.

Astedra,

barleecat

Technically the warranty is only voided if you somehow break something in the process of re-assembling it. The "taking it apart" bit doesn't in itself void the warranty.

That said, I've never heard of anyone fixing this o-ring, so it might be prudent to just send it in for warranty service. I don't think re-seating the ring would be difficult but re-assembly can be tricky....the ceramic rings have to be aligned just so, and the whole assembly is held in place by the pressure of the steel plate. It's harder to get right than it looks. :2c:

Thanks much for replies :wave: I will call for a warranty request again here soon. It is working OK for now but want it working right for the long haul. Probably need a new battery soon too as both of mine have very short lifespans now....2 batteries down in a year and I'm a "light-weight" :leaf: user too...

I got the grasshopper because somebody posted that it's better then the firefly, and I can say it's not. Grasshopper without a bubbler is just not a great vape, it gets too hot and the taste toward the end of the session is noticeable different. With the bubbler it's good, but it's hard for me to carry around a bubbler because I can only smoke outside.

I just finally received my Grasshopper the other day after 8 month wait. Was it worth the wait? Time will tell. So far pleased with it, it's quick heat up and ability to get one nice hit out of it like an old one-hitter is great. Yes it does get pretty hot quick, and like the Firefly it requires some personal technique so still learning what works best....All in all I am happy with it and feel between my Firefly 1 and SS Grasshopper I have a good combo for vaping. Seems all vapes have draw-backs, compromises and issues :sherlock:

Astedra

it requires some personal technique so still learning what works best....All in all I am happy with it and feel between my Firefly 1 and SS Grasshopper I have a good combo for vaping. Seems all vapes have draw-backs, compromises and issues :sherlock:

There is not much technique with the grasshopper, I mean not compared to the firefly. It heats up and you pull.

Jimiblues

So I'm waiting on my fifth firefly repair...the firefly has gotta be the most frustrating piece of tech that I have ever dealt with. When it works its great but the problem with me is that it is broken more than it works. I'm an all day vaporist...and under that load the firefly cannot hold up. I've resigned to the fact that the repaired or replaced firefly will work for 3 months and then the coils will die again and then the process will begin again...sorry for the rant my backup pax also died so I'm combusting and just ordered a mflb as a backup. After my experience with the firefly I would never even think about a firefly 2...rant over

barleecat

There is not much technique with the grasshopper, I mean not compared to the firefly. It heats up and you pull.

Compared to Firefly ya it's way better. Been playing with different temp settings, and also clicking Hopper off mid pull while continuing to draw, get a nice big hit without the heat issues I had when I got the thing....so a little technique helps with heat and battery charge....I've had it a week and it's super easy to get hits out of and my herb lasts in the chamber longer too....I've had the Firefly almost a year and still can't consistently get it to work right and it burns and dries out my herb fast.....

So I'm waiting on my fifth firefly repair...the firefly has gotta be the most frustrating piece of tech that I have ever dealt with. When it works its great but the problem with me is that it is broken more than it works. I'm an all day vaporist...and under that load the firefly cannot hold up. I've resigned to the fact that the repaired or replaced firefly will work for 3 months and then the coils will die again and then the process will begin again...sorry for the rant my backup pax also died so I'm combusting and just ordered a mflb as a backup. After my experience with the firefly I would never even think about a firefly 2...rant over

Yep pretty much agree with you....I would not even consider a FF2 after owning the 1.....about to send mine back for 3rd time in less than a year. In that time I still can't get it to work right...one day I get good draws out of it, the next day nope....my wife won't even use it anymore.....too inconsistent, you can't hand it to anyone whose never used one cuz they won't get a hit and'll be confused...stirring after 2 hits etc....haven't been psyched with it.....

Jimiblues

After a few days I get an email....this is a new wrinkle...they offer to upgrade for $99 or store credit...I obviously opted for the store credit. I can't let myself fall for it again throw in the TWO year warranty and it's a deal breaker...the nightmare is finally over.

Astedra

After a few days I get an email....this is a new wrinkle...they offer to upgrade for $99 or store credit...I obviously opted for the store credit. I can't let myself fall for it again throw in the TWO year warranty and it's a deal breaker...the nightmare is finally over.

You had a bad time with the firefly? What was wrong with it? I used mine until I got tired of using it with no problems.

Astedra,

Jimiblues

The firefly for me was a disaster. It would work for 2 months and then the coil would stop heating, this happened 5 times in two years. Bear in mind that this is under heavy use. The last time I mailed it in they told me that they no longer have the part to repair the firefly, they offered to upgrade to the firefly 2 or store credit from vapeworld. I took the store credit and got the arizer air.

I was tempted by the firefly 2... but I can't rationalize 260+99 for something that I feel is unreliable based on my experiences with the firefly. I would always have that worry of the heater breaking in the back of my mind. People can attest to that feeling when you press that button and no orange glow....it's a stomach turning type of feeling.

Jimiblues,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
The firefly for me was a disaster. It would work for 2 months and then the coil would stop heating, this happened 5 times in two years. Bear in mind that this is under heavy use. The last time I mailed it in they told me that they no longer have the part to repair the firefly, they offered to upgrade to the firefly 2 or store credit from vapeworld. I took the store credit and got the arizer air.

I was tempted by the firefly 2... but I can't rationalize 260+99 for something that I feel is unreliable based on my experiences with the firefly. I would always have that worry of the heater breaking in the back of my mind. People can attest to that feeling when you press that button and no orange glow....it's a stomach turning type of feeling.

Too late now, but for future reference: coil failure isn't an issue with the FF2. I know the pain of FF1 coil failure....I've been through eight or nine FF1's myself. But they solved the problem with the 2. Whatever other quirks the 2 has, "reliability" isn't really one of them.

mitchgo61,

Jimiblues

I was aware of the improvements of the ff2...but me personally firefly lost me after the firefly broke for the 3rd time, that's when they started making me pay for shipping. The two year warranty was also a deal breaker. I really do wish well for the firefly 2. It's just that they lost my consumer confidence. I had a similar experience with Xbox 360, after it broke for the 3rd time I stopped gaming, when the new gen came out I bought the ps4....nothing against Microsoft. I'm gonna wait and see what happens with the ff2...if it turns out to be reliable ill probably get their new vaporizer, firefly 3 or what ever they want to call it.

Jimiblues,
Reactions: Astedra

Astedra

I'm on my 5th crafty in 2 years to, and the warranty ran out, so next time it brakes it's done. I want to use the firefly again until it brakes so I can upgrade to a new ff2, I'm used to these warranty repairs, although I hated the crafty for a while as a result.

Astedra,

Jimiblues

Just use your firefly as ur daily driver...those coils can't take that load. And its $99 to upgrade to the firefly 2.

Jimiblues,
Reactions: Astedra

ginolicious

Time to get a reliable and robust desktop.

Jimiblues

I opted for the arizer air...I did my due diligence and researched a vape based on durability after my firefly experience. Its basically a smaller solo(built like a tank) and so far smooth sailing as a daily driver.

Jimiblues,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom