Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

OakIris

Hmm, thought I had read most, though not all of the thread, saw lots of mentions about using a top screen, as well as a few posts about the Wispr disc, but apparently missed the posts about the ceramic screens. Did they work?

Received my Firefly this morning - a lot earlier than I had expected. It "sure is purty" isn't it? :D I got the red model... Installed the battery and charged it; the extra battery is being charged now. After work today, I will be going shopping for something good to put in it, and then early this evening I will see what the Firefly is all about!

Holly

Last edited:

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Hmm, thought I had read most, though not all of the thread, saw lots of mentions about using a top screen, as well as a few posts about the Wispr disc, but apparently missed the posts about the ceramic screens. Did they work?

Received my Firefly this morning - a lot earlier than I had expected. It "sure is purty" isn't it? :D I got the red model... Installed the battery and charged it; the extra battery is being charged now. After work today, I will be going shopping for something good to put in it, and then early this evening I will see what the Firefly is all about!

Sorry, I'm an idiot. :doh: I thought you meant you hadn't seen any mention of top screens, not ceramic. Reading comprehension problems on my end. :nod: Yeah I think someone way back when did try a ceramic screen, but I can't remember what the result was. (I'm guessing nothing revolutionary, or they'd be all the rage, right?:lol:)

I myself tried those glass flower thingies as a top screen, and they were pretty awful. Made it more messy, not less, and did nothing to raise the heat.

Congrats on joining the red FF club! :rockon: Let us know how you get on with it. (Get something flavorful, it's all about the flavor with the FF!:nod:)

mitchgo61,

brainiac

log wrangler
Hi murf2010
Welcome to a rather special club.
I've had mine for nearly a month now and yes, I was amazed too - and I still am!

murf2010

Blown away by how big the clouds were, super smooth too. Flavor was excellent.

I've used arizer solo, arizer air and pax and this is the best one in my opinion, for me anyways.

murf2010,

Chandlerson

Is there a video of the clouds with the newest firefly version as well as the larger more powerful battery ?

Chandlerson,

Nightspeaks

Hey new to FC. Been researching on which vape to get and think the FF meets my needs the best as I really only use at home on my porch and have an concentrate pen for on the go.

I hear talk of a new FF possibly coming out this fall. Is this a pretty solid lead? I would hate to buy this model and then one comes out in a couple of months that addresses the issues with this one.
What do you all think?

Nightspeaks,
Reactions: 61reissue

61reissue

Even if a new model comes out the current one is a badass unit so I don't think you will be disappointed. Just a suggestion...scrap that pen and get yourself the concentrate pads for the FF and give that a try. I was semi-skeptical at first but I am not skeptical anymore:)

mitchgo61

Hey new to FC. Been researching on which vape to get and think the FF meets my needs the best as I really only use at home on my porch and have an concentrate pen for on the go.

I hear talk of a new FF possibly coming out this fall. Is this a pretty solid lead? I would hate to buy this model and then one comes out in a couple of months that addresses the issues with this one.
What do you all think?

Calculated risk to wait. It's a "solid lead" in that we know for sure FF is developing the FF2. That's all we know....we don't know features (though we can safely assume the overall design will be similar to the current version). We don't know time frame.

I had a conversation with one of the two heads of the company (the CTO and designer of the FF) back in Febraury. At that time I asked him if they were working on the FF2. He said they were "well into the development process" of the FF2. Make of that what you will....I personally think calendar 2015 is a safe bet, but no one at FF cares what I think, and try as I might (and I have) I cannot pry any info out of them on either feature set or time frame.

One thing is certain, though....when they announce the FF2, it'll be ready for pre-orders, and nearly ready to ship. FF are like Pax, Arizer, Stors and Bickel et al...they develop a product and get it ready for sale largely in silence, and don't start yakking about it until it's ready. There are manufacturers here who talk and talk and talk about a vape forever before it's ready to sell, or even finished being designed. Some people enjoy that. I prefer FF's method....they let their vape do the talking. (And oh how I enjoy listening to what the FF has to say...:lol:)

Bottom line...no one knows when the FF2 will arrive, so waiting or purchasing the FF1 now is a risk in either case. As has been said, the FF is great so buying now doesn't really represent any real-world risk....just maybe some opportunity cost.

61reissue

on either feature set or time frame.

One thing is certain, though....when they announce the FF2, it'll be ready for pre-orders, and nearly ready to ship. FF are like Pax, Arizer, Stors and Bickel et al...they develop a product and get it ready for sale largely in silence, and don't start yakking about it until it's ready. There are manufacturers here who talk and talk and talk about a vape forever before it's ready to sell, or even finished being designed. Some people enjoy that. I prefer FF's method....they let their vape do the talking. (And oh how I enjoy listening to what the FF has to say...:lol:).

Agreed 100%...well said.

61reissue,
Reactions: mitchgo61

murf2010

Can someone give me their technique exactly? I'm having uneven bud when the bowls done. Even looks burnt a little. How do you pack grind and draw? Preheat?

murf2010,

61reissue

Can someone give me their technique exactly? I'm having uneven bud when the bowls done. Even looks burnt a little. How do you pack grind and draw? Preheat?

Mine is the following.

1-medium grind(1 pass through a 4 piece grinder.
2-I fill mine flush to the top but I do not pack it at all.
3-Once loaded I preheat the unit for a count of 10.
4-Heat again for 2 seconds and then hit it slow. (I get a decent cloud off the 1st hit)
5- Hit normally and but still slowly and the 2nd and 3rd hits are the money shots with the FF.

61reissue,
Reactions: IAmKrazy2

mitchgo61

murf2010

Mine is the following.

1-medium grind(1 pass through a 4 piece grinder.
2-I fill mine flush to the top but I do not pack it at all.
3-Once loaded I preheat the unit for a count of 10.
4-Heat again for 2 seconds and then hit it slow. (I get a decent cloud off the 1st hit)
5- Hit normally and but still slowly and the 2nd and 3rd hits are the money shots with the FF.

Do you preheat every draw or just the first one?

murf2010,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I do not post in this thread often but the FF is my go to battery powered portable. I use it very often. I take it with me and an extra battery and little container. I typically don't stir and just hit a load about 4 or 5 times and pack a new one.

It isn't perfect, but IMO you can not beat it currently for battery powered instant convection hits fof what is currently on the market (check out the Zion for preorder options).

The SS does a great job of cooling, and cleaning is damn easy for the entire unit. It isn't my daily driver, and never would be. But great to take a quick maintenence hit or two on the sneak whenever and wherever you want.

OakIris

I have now had the Firefly for a bit over a week. I like it, but still trying to get used to the "high" - I have been a pot smoker since the 1970's so apparently have been getting off on toxins along with the THC, the high is just different, less intense, than that from combustion. I am trying to just use the vape but have friends that still combust so I am still smoking, too. Eventually I will get to the "fuck combustion" point!

Still getting the technique down, but I am experiencing some nice clouds from the Firefly and most definitely agree about the wonderful taste of the vapor that you get from it; my Buddha can't even begin to compete taste-wise. I don't always get the clouds I like. Unfortunately, when you come from the pot smoking world, it is difficult not to think that if very little vapor comes out of your mouth, you probably didn't get a hit because the "pipe" was out and needed to be relit.....:rolleyes: I am trying to get away from that mind set but it ain't easy!

I mentioned this in a previous post - my partner is disabled and only has use of one hand - her left hand. It is a bit awkward for her to remove the lid, fill, tamp, etc., with just one hand, but she is able to operate it. She has a tendency to use a pipe when I am not there to vape with her because it is just easier for her, but she really couldn't use the Buddha by herself at all, so the Firefly is an improvement and hopefully - eventually - it is all either of us will use.

Holly

UnshavenFish

I have now had the Firefly for a bit over a week. I like it, but still trying to get used to the "high" - I have been a pot smoker since the 1970's so apparently have been getting off on toxins along with the THC, the high is just different, less intense, than that from combustion. I am trying to just use the vape but have friends that still combust so I am still smoking, too. Eventually I will get to the "fuck combustion" point!

Take a look here if you haven't already, lots of good relevant info.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/trying-to-switch-to-vaping.18239/

I was the same at first thought vaping just didn't give the same high, and it doesn't really but that's a good thing once you rewire your brain, it can be hard as its a habit your trying to break and it's something that's you do probably unconsciously for the most part, I now for a good while have vaped 100% of the time with just the odd time taking a pull on a joint when with friends but it's only ever one pull then I pass it on feeling dirty, it just does nothing for me anymore tastes bad and no high, I now get higher than I ever thought possible (and it's a nice clean feeling high) and see no way of going back to combustion, hang in there as there will be a point where everything just falls into place, and keep us informed on how you get on :tup:

I mentioned this in a previous post - my partner is disabled and only has use of one hand - her left hand. It is a bit awkward for her to remove the lid, fill, tamp, etc., with just one hand, but she is able to operate it. She has a tendency to use a pipe when I am not there to vape with her because it is just easier for her, but she really couldn't use the Buddha by herself at all, so the Firefly is an improvement and hopefully - eventually - it is all either of us will use.

Sorry to hear that, I can see how the lid could be a problem, I hate to suggest more spending but if vaping is something your looking to get into 100% I would always suggest having a backup vape just in case you have problems with your unit at somepoint, you could also kill two birds with one stone and get something that is easier to load/use for the times you are out of the house, doesn't have to be expensive lots of options out there, here are a couple that I think could be used with one hand for not too much money, you won't get firefly taste but it will still be much better than combustion...

https://www.vapefiend.co.uk/vapium-summit-portable-vaporizer.html

I don't own this one but it has a small magnetic door that looks easy to use good vid to have a look at here.

https://www.vapefiend.co.uk/storm-vaporizer-pen.html

This one I do own (and got a great FC discount) and can load and use while only using one hand aslong as I rest it between my legs to load, again nice video to see how it works.

Anyway lots of other options also but just something to consider.

UnshavenFish,
Reactions: mitchgo61

mitchgo61

As has been mentioned, the only real way to adjust fully is to stop smoking, period, and never look back. Your body and chemistry need time away from the carbon compounds released when you smoke. Give yourself 30 days with no combustion and you'll feel fully adapted. The FF will help immensely. Good luck!

bobj7

Could someone offer some tips on using the concentrate pads?

I put some wax or shatter on them and start heating for quite some time. I am getting zero vapor as the concentrate is heating. When it starts to melt, I finally start to get a small bit of vapor. Lastly, I get just a bit more vapor when the concentrate has completely melted. Then whoosh, it's gone.

Concentrates are expensive and I don't feel I'm getting my money's worth when using them with the Firefly. I get little vapor and it seems they melt too fast. Thanks for any ideas.

bobj7,

murf2010

My battery life is horrible despite this being a new unit? Am I doing something wrong lol. I preheat the first draw for 10 seconds and then take 8-12 second draws from there on out

murf2010,

mitchgo61

My battery life is horrible despite this being a new unit? Am I doing something wrong lol. I preheat the first draw for 10 seconds and then take 8-12 second draws from there on out

What kind of battery do you have? If it's 750, it's an old one and likely defective if it's dying quickly. Call FF and see if they will replace it with one of the new 770s at their expense.

mitchgo61,
Reactions: grokit
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom