Reggie Watts

Wow, so the Pax3 is actually worse than the Pax2. Cheaper enclosure material, smudges easily, makes a rattling noise when you shake it, and doesn't heat up as fast as it claims to. And even though it supports concentrates, it was crappily tacked on.

Feeling great about my decision to go with the IQ instead, lol.

Btw, when will the IQ accessories be available? I get a "403 Forbidden" message when I try to go here: http://www.davincivaporizer.com/iq-vaporizer-accessories/

Last edited:

Mario Juan

Lovecombustion
Looks beautiful and appears to perform so as well. I'm thoroughly impressed. Question though, what exactly is bowl staining?

tyethewolf

The only thing that I think I'm not a fan of is how fast it heats up around the whole thing. That battery makes me feel slightly uncomfortable. :shrug:

Update: This little thing is pretty chill about to go take it for a walk but it's already got me flying. :borg:

Last edited:

tyethewolf

Mid-November as far as I have heard. IOS is out now but us android peeps have a few days to go.

:argh:

So my roommate doesn't like it for 2 reasons. 1. The high pitched clicking noise while its running (I'm assuming from the heating element turning on and off). and 2. How hot it gets while running with the battery right there. Ive only owned an MFLB as a portable vape so not exactly sure what to expect. Personally I think it's a pretty awesome little device.

Last edited by a moderator:

BuzzDanklin

Davinci-IQ-Vape.jpg

I finished up my davinci IQ review if you are looking for some more to read.

Davinci_vaporizer

Clean First Technology
Manufacturer
Wow, so the Pax3 is actually worse than the Pax2. Cheaper enclosure material, smudges easily, makes a rattling noise when you shake it, and doesn't heat up as fast as it claims to. And even though it supports concentrates, it was crappily tacked on.

Feeling great about my decision to go with the IQ instead, lol.

Btw, when will the IQ accessories be available? I get a "403 Forbidden" message when I try to go here: http://www.davincivaporizer.com/iq-vaporizer-accessories/

Glad you are liking it so far! I just checked the accessories page. Seems to be up and working fine. Try a different web browser and see if that helps. Also there will be more accessories added to the website in the next 2 weeks so stay tuned.

I have now moved all posts that were shipping/ordering discussion only out of this thread and over to the
Davinci IQ - Shipping and Order Discussion thread. All future discussion regarding shipping should go there.

Thanks man! I will do my best to keep everyone updated on shipments and tracking information on that thread. To anyone still waiting for their IQ to ship we appreciate your patience you'll all have your IQ's very soon!

So my roommate doesn't like it for 2 reasons. 1. The high pitched clicking noise while its running (I'm assuming from the heating element turning on and off). and 2. How hot it gets while running with the battery right there. Ive only owned an MFLB as a portable vape so not exactly sure what to expect. Personally I think it's a pretty awesome little device.

If you've watched the latest VC video he talks about this buzzing sound briefly and how more and more vapes are starting to have it. The sound you are hearing is the circuit board distributing power from the battery to the heat oven using a process called Pulse Width Modulation to control the oven accurately to precision temperature. Those of you who had the Ascent might already be used to this sound. The Ascent was a larger device so the boards we're deeper inside and my not have been as audible until now. You are starting to see more and more vapes have this sound because more and more vapes are starting to offer precision temperature control. For example, to quote the VC "Pax3 has a buzzing sound and the Pax2 didn't." Well I'm going to assume a little bit here but now that Pax3 offers precision temperature control with it's mobile app I believe they also have adapted and added in PWM to control their circuits therefore the root of this new buzzing. The rattling sound on the other hand I have no idea what is causing that in the Pax3 lol.

Now to speak on your comment about the device being warm. The device is made of an aluminum body which can get warm when vaping at high temps. However this usually only shows up if you have the vape on and are not holding it or using it. The battery is safe up to 150°F the chamber in which the battery sits doesn't even come close even on the highest setting so no worries there.

Nice review Buzz! TYFT.

What about that special surprise? Has anyone received a surprise already?

The special surprise!!! If he tells you then it won't be a surprise!!!!

radiant34

Dudes! I just had my first IQ experience on Smart Path 2, and it was magical. I'll write a detailed summary when I come down from this high...if I don't pass out first. (And I hardly slept at all yesterday, so I can't promise that.)
how do you like the taste compared to the mighty?

radiant34,

Reggie Watts

The device itself

This device has a solid build quality. It's heavier than you expect based on its tiny size, but in a good way. It feels like it could take a fall and survive intact.

I like when vapes are convenient, i.e. easy to load and clean, and the IQ definitely is. I love that there is a stir tool attached to the vape itself, and that the area around the oven is bowl-shaped, so that herbs naturally funnel into the oven when you're loading it. I like the extended mouthpiece more than the flat one.

The oven pearl is tightly affixed to the vape. It took a lot of effort to unscrew. Not sure how somebody could accidentally unscrew it with a cleaning brush as Vape Critic claimed, lol.

The vaping experience

My first session was on Smart Path 2 (370-390 F). I wasn't expecting dense vapor at this temp range, but it was putting out clouds similar to the Mighty. The taste was excellent for the first few minutes and then took on a more "baked" flavor from there, as you expect from a conduction vape - but it kept making big clouds well beyond the flavor dropoff. Psychoactive effects were significant.

Second session on SP3 (390-410) - Holy hell, this thing makes bigger clouds than any other portable vaporizer I have used! Super dense, white clouds, yet still smooth on the draw. It didn't burn my throat like a Pax, yet it delivered way more vapor. I was so baked at the end of this session, my body felt numb and floaty.

AVB

After the first session, which was exactly 10 minutes, I opened the oven to find a few green bits at the top. As I dug deeper, I found a gradient of dark-to-light AVB going from bottom to top of the oven. However, it was still more evenly baked than what Pax vapes give you. Like the Pax, I recommend "flipping the load" so the top goes to the bottom before killing it on Boost Mode.

The second session was longer because I experimented with all the different modes. Even still, there were bits of green at the top, and the standard dark-to-light gradient, but this time more weighted to the dark. With a light stir, I was able to cook it a little longer and even out the color.

Other comments

I used the orange S&B grinder, which produces a pretty fine grind, and that worked very well. I packed the oven moderately tight and filled it to just above the black-white boundary, which was then further tamped down by the pearl.

I love that everything can be done without the app. I'm an Android user so I don't have app access yet, but I still had full control over everything with the onboard controls. Still, I look forward to playing around with custom Smart Paths.

The Smart Paths are fantastic for group session vaping. When passing a Mighty around a group, I sometimes have to tell people to turn up the temp. The IQ automates this process and puts the session on a fixed timer, so you never have to worry about it turning off when somebody has a "high moment" and forgets they're holding a vaporizer.

I already expected the IQ to replace my Pax2 as my going-out vape, but I'll be using it at home more than I thought. It will also rival the Mighty as a party vape for groups of friends.

I discovered a minor bug with the Davinci website - when logged out, I can view the accessories page, but when logged in, I get a 403 error. Speaking of accessories, I don't actually need any of those currently available except maybe the 14 mm adapter. I hope to see extra batteries and a carrying case made available so I can use my store credit.

I'm probably forgetting something, so I'll add more comments when I think of them...

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
@BuzzDanklin
And
@Reggie Watts

Guys, thanks a lot for your reviews. I'm wondering how well does it handle micro doses? Talking like .03- .05?

Also, how hot/harsh does the vapor get?

How would this one handle, if you decided to finish a session later? Would it cool off quickly? How's taste and efficiency on the second session after a complete cool down?

Thanks you guys! Sounds pretty nice so far!

Baron23

The device itself

This device has a solid build quality. It's heavier than you expect based on its tiny size, but in a good way. It feels like it could take a fall and survive intact.

I like when vapes are convenient, i.e. easy to load and clean, and the IQ definitely is. I love that there is a stir tool attached to the vape itself, and that the area around the oven is bowl-shaped, so that herbs naturally funnel into the oven when you're loading it. I like the extended mouthpiece more than the flat one.

The oven pearl is tightly affixed to the vape. It took a lot of effort to unscrew. Not sure how somebody could accidentally unscrew it with a cleaning brush as Vape Critic claimed, lol.

The vaping experience

My first session was on Smart Path 2 (370-390 F). I wasn't expecting dense vapor at this temp range, but it was putting out clouds similar to the Mighty. The taste was excellent for the first few minutes and then took on a more "baked" flavor from there, as you expect from a conduction vape - but it kept making big clouds well beyond the flavor dropoff. Psychoactive effects were significant.

Second session on SP3 (390-410) - Holy hell, this thing makes bigger clouds than any other portable vaporizer I have used! Super dense, white clouds, yet still smooth on the draw. It didn't burn my throat like a Pax, yet it delivered way more vapor. I was so baked at the end of this session, my body felt numb and floaty.

AVB

After the first session, which was exactly 10 minutes, I opened the oven to find a few green bits at the top. As I dug deeper, I found a gradient of dark-to-light AVB going from bottom to top of the oven. However, it was still more evenly baked than what Pax vapes give you. Like the Pax, I recommend "flipping the load" so the top goes to the bottom before killing it on Boost Mode.

The second session was longer because I experimented with all the different modes. Even still, there were bits of green at the top, and the standard dark-to-light gradient, but this time more weighted to the dark. With a light stir, I was able to cook it a little longer and even out the color.

Other comments

I used the orange S&B grinder, which produces a pretty fine grind, and that worked very well. I packed the oven moderately tight and filled it to just above the black-white boundary, which was then further tamped down by the pearl.

I love that everything can be done without the app. I'm an Android user so I don't have app access yet, but I still had full control over everything with the onboard controls. Still, I look forward to playing around with custom Smart Paths.

The Smart Paths are fantastic for group session vaping. When passing a Mighty around a group, I sometimes have to tell people to turn up the temp. The IQ automates this process and puts the session on a fixed timer, so you never have to worry about it turning off when somebody has a "high moment" and forgets they're holding a vaporizer.

I already expected the IQ to replace my Pax2 as my going-out vape, but I'll be using it at home more than I thought. It will also rival the Mighty as a party vape for groups of friends.

I discovered a minor bug with the Davinci website - when logged out, I can view the accessories page, but when logged in, I get a 403 error. Speaking of accessories, I don't actually need any of those currently available except maybe the 14 mm adapter. I hope to see extra batteries and a carrying case made available so I can use my store credit.

I'm probably forgetting something, so I'll add more comments when I think of them...

@Reggie Watts - Thanks Reggie!! Great report from the field. Sounds like you really like this one? :brow::rockon:

Various Questions:

• Is the vapor as harsh as the Ascent is @~380F?
  • Is a screen recommended for finely ground herbs? I noticed the 4 holes are on the top of the oven this time.
  • Is @Davinci_vaporizer planning to sell an oven spacer for those who like small amounts?
  • According to various sources, humans begin to feel pain from heat at 175-185F. With that said, if people are Almost feeling pain, that means that the device is VERY close to, or at, above 150F. Since the device is aluminum and a good heat conductor, it's pretty safe to say the top of the battery should be reaching those temperature. Then again, I still don't have my device so I can't properly measure this. Perhaps @Reggie Watts has a thermometer? That said, I have some mech-mod e-cigs that have gotten SUPER hot and my unprotected batteries are all fine.
  • Speaking of that.... What is the exact battery that is recommended? I've heard people get the 18650 unprotected with 2500mAh, 3400mAh, and 3500mAh. Does this matter for the device/safety

nickvengance,
Reactions: vapen00b
Various Questions:

• Is the vapor as harsh as the Ascent is @~380F?
  • Is a screen recommended for finely ground herbs? I noticed the 4 holes are on the top of the oven this time.
  • Is @Davinci_vaporizer planning to sell an oven spacer for those who like small amounts?
  • According to various sources, humans begin to feel pain from heat at 175-185F. With that said, if people are Almost feeling pain, that means that the device is VERY close to, or at, above 150F. Since the device is aluminum and a good heat conductor, it's pretty safe to say the top of the battery should be reaching those temperature. Then again, I still don't have my device so I can't properly measure this. Perhaps @Reggie Watts has a thermometer? That said, I have some mech-mod e-cigs that have gotten SUPER hot and my unprotected batteries are all fine.
  • Speaking of that.... What is the exact battery that is recommended? I've heard people get the 18650 unprotected with 2500mAh, 3400mAh, and 3500mAh. Does this matter for the device/safety
I can only answer that last one. The amount of mAh or mili-amp hours a battery has is the rate at which it discharges and charges. In other words how long it will last in use. A battery that has 2500mAh like the samaung 25r will last longer than say an efest battery at 1500mAh. It wouldn't have any effect of the safety of a device. Amp rating however does effect safety. Idk the amp rating for the IQ but any samsung 25r or sony vtc will work just fine. Those battery safely push 20amps and 30amps each. No way it gets anywhere need that kind of power draw lol. You can grab a group of 4 on amazon for like $20

mephisto

The vapor is certainly not harsh with the IQ. That's all the way up to 410. I suggest a well ground, packed oven. The smart path program is excellent. I have been enjoying setting 2 or 3. No need for the app. Taste is far better than either the Pax 1 or 2. Build quality is top notch. Draw resistance is less with the extended mouthpiece. I overpacked the first oven with unground nuggets and the restriction was increased to a cigar type puff, akin to a fully packed Pax. I tried to dislike the IQ simply because I prefer convection, and it just performs so well as a session house vape. I also like to spike my oven with other herbs, so this design works well for me in this aspect. The only other observation is that this vape will consume power rapidly. Looks like 4-5 sessions using the smart path on 2 and 3, then I got the vibration alert that my power level was down to the lowest level. Finished the session and then popped the battery on the charger and it read 3.8v, for what that's worth. Well done Davinci!

Chandler

A few things i'm wondering...

- Can someone comment on hot the device gets during a session?
- is the IQ able to withstand constant use without over heating? i mean could i drain 3 batteries consecutively and not worry?
- Are the clicking noises really that audible? is this something we can easily look past, or is it annoying?
- Potency/effects. thoughts/comparisons on how potent yall find the vapor quality?
- Vapor quality vs Crafty/Mighty (i know i'm not the only one waiting for these comparisons)!!
- has anyone had a positive experience adding material to the flavor chamber??

I tried to dislike the IQ simply because I prefer convection
what convection vapes do you use, and how does the flavor/vapor quality of IQ stack up against those?
further, besides taste what is it that you prefer more about convection over conduction?? are the effects stronger with convection? (sorry for going off topic.)

Top Bottom