The CORRECT way to store your bud?

feralcomprehension

Qualified Observer
Fwiw my experimentation w loud, fresh superboof made me take boveda and boost out of rotation; I only use the clay pellets now.

feralcomprehension,

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I'm still using the bovedas I bought like 5 years ago and other freebies I've acquired along the way before I knew any better... and I never planned on buying any more.... I'm in the not necessary camp ftmp but still use em only cuz they're there. I just toss my shit in little mason jars and chuck 'em in a little dorm fridge that doesn't get very cold. I don't grow so I don't need nor really want long term storage. The most I grab is a mixed oz anyway... that doesn't last too long. Plus, I prefer and have always preferred my weed on the drier side, much drier than most peeps. I prefer the flavor and (arguably) somewhat stronger stone...:tup:

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
I use mason jars and boveda packs and this seems to work well. I don't usually have more than 2oz on hand at a time so usually 2 jars of 1oz each. I grind about 1-2g at a time so if I receive a small stash of something, say 7g that's in ziplock and properly cured it'll probably not even need a jar.

The climate is dry and cold up in Canada for most of the year so every opening of a jar likely steals humidity. The packs last a long time and they're inexpensive so I figured, why not. They also have the benefit of normalizing the humidity of your flower to the percentage you use (58% or 62%) if the bud is too sticky or too dry. I've never subscribed to the "terp stealing" notions.

In my experience, the boveda packs couldn't resuscitate an ounce of really dry bud I received once. I don't have hydrostones or anything so I tried both adding citrus peel and also a lettuce leaf to a jar with very dry bud and both worked great.

I like bud cured to the point where it has sort of a puffy but firm, popcorn-like texture when you pluck flower nugs from the stem. Nice moisture and it doesn't crumble to dust when you handle it.

Hippie

Anyone else tried using Grove bags ?
With Terploc technology :cool::science:
Grovebags.com
it's basically a bag with a semi permeable membrane that keeps the terps in and lets any excess moisture out so you don't need to use humidity packs and take up very little space when they're empty.
I heard about them on a grow forum where they were getting good reviews so I picked up a few to try and been impressed so far after about 6 months use.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Anyone else tried using Grove bags ?
With Terploc technology :cool::science:
Grovebags.com
it's basically a bag with a semi permeable membrane that keeps the terps in and lets any excess moisture out so you don't need to use humidity packs and take up very little space when they're empty.
I heard about them on a grow forum where they were getting good reviews so I picked up a few to try and been impressed so far after about 6 months use.

Heard of this before, so I looked at their website, as I was curious how this product would work to ADD moisture to DRY herbs. They DON’T. They mention HEAT SEALING, so it’s not for constant access.

Seems these are designed for storage before shipping, or sealed for long term storage assuming your herb is at the humidity you want. A few quotes from that site:

“The biggest factor for getting the most out of your Grove Bag is to make sure your cannabis is properly dry and the inner moisture is both released and regulated. If you think the cannabis is too wet still burp it in the bag for 3-4 days. Once your cannabis is dry heat seal the bag and store it in a cool dark room for best results. There is no need to purchase a 2-way humidity packet or oxygen scrubber.”

+++++

“We recommend using our bags for curing to the point of consumption. TerpLoc® bags don’t need to be burped during the cure. Pressure will build up in the head space of the bag. Our bags will also increase the shelf life of your cannabis. We have had some customers experiment with intentionally longer curing periods inside our bags.”

Not something I personally need, nor do I believe these would take the place of the tools and techniques this thread is about, but good luck…..

Hippie

I thought the thread was about storage

I guess you'd put your overdried bud in the bag and put the bag in a higher humidity environment

RustyOldNail

I thought the thread was about storage

Well, the title includes the word in bold “CORRECT”.
Folks can store their herb in a shoebox I guess…
I prefer my storage to include a way to keep it fresh for a decent amount of time, maybe something like 62%?

RustyOldNail,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
been impressed so far after about 6 months use.
Any chance you could put a spare oz in a bag and leave it for at least a year, 2 would be better to see how the bags go long term...I have an oz in a vac sealed mason jar with a Boost pack (and card) coming up on 2 years and am looking forward to the results when I open it in March.

pop22

Heard of this before, so I looked at their website, as I was curious how this product would work to ADD moisture to DRY herbs. They DON’T. They mention HEAT SEALING, so it’s not for constant access.

Seems these are designed for storage before shipping, or sealed for long term storage assuming your herb is at the humidity you want. A few quotes from that site:

“The biggest factor for getting the most out of your Grove Bag is to make sure your cannabis is properly dry and the inner moisture is both released and regulated. If you think the cannabis is too wet still burp it in the bag for 3-4 days. Once your cannabis is dry heat seal the bag and store it in a cool dark room for best results. There is no need to purchase a 2-way humidity packet or oxygen scrubber.”

+++++

“We recommend using our bags for curing to the point of consumption. TerpLoc® bags don’t need to be burped during the cure. Pressure will build up in the head space of the bag. Our bags will also increase the shelf life of your cannabis. We have had some customers experiment with intentionally longer curing periods inside our bags.”

Not something I personally need, nor do I believe these would take the place of the tools and techniques this thread is about, but good luck…..
I've been using Grove bags for a while now myself, along with jars to test them. I've not heat sealed them but I have some bud in one that was harvested about 6 months ago and the buds are still perfect. The humidity has remained @62% for most of that time. Last I checked it was down to 59% so I did toss in a couple Boveda packs until the RH returned to 62%. I was skeptical at first but the do seem to work well.

And someone mentioned vacuum sealing jars with bud at 62% RH. I'm surprised the weed wasn't rotten! At that high humidity and in a vacuum, anaerobic bacteria and fungi thrive... I know, i have a jar go bad that way, and boy did it STINK! I get my long term vac sealed jars down to 50% before I vac seal them. I've kept bud up to 2 years that way, with the jars just stored in a kitchen cupboard.

RustyOldNail

I’ve posted about my own research into whether humidity packs are NEEDED if storing under vacuum here:

I’m only using Bovida 62% packs in my SS CVaults, and glass CannaStores, and some ball jars. Each container holds the tiny Bluetooth humidity monitors, so I can remotely monitor the RH. A vacuum with ball jars is still handy for many things, but I wouldn’t bother including a Bovida in them for long term storage.

chlorophyll_man

AVB Inspector
The way I've been doing it is to bring the buds to 62% before storage, then vacuum sealing them in small jars, then placing those jars into larger jars that contain 62% Bovidas. My thinking being that even if the seal on the vacuumed jars breaks, the buds would still stay at that humidity. With this system the Bovidas aren't actually stored in a vacuum, as I was unsure how they'd behave in one.
As it has turned out the vacuums have all held, so the Bovidas in the outer jars haven't really come into play. I do regret not running a different storage method alongside for comparison though. Although I do have 10g of one strain that I put directly into a sous vide bag (no jar) and vacuumed that fully - really compressed the buds so no idea what to expect from that one, probably find out later this year or next😅

XpeeN

XpeeN,
Reactions: Cheebsy

Jojofernz

Is this kind of stuff only necessary if you’re keeping large quantities for long periods of time? I get a new half ounce every week and don’t notice my bud getting that dry before I get through it all. Though I live in a desert and things just ARE dry out here.

Just seeing if this is actually something I need or just more money spent on weed.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Is this kind of stuff only necessary if you’re keeping large quantities for long periods of time? I get a new half ounce every week and don’t notice my bud getting that dry before I get through it all. Though I live in a desert and things just ARE dry out here.
I feel that it is, Yes

Just seeing if this is actually something I need or just more money spent on weed.
I would ask, are you generally happy with the way things are currently? Then, no, you probably don't need it... and Yes, it would be more money spent on weed....:tup::peace::2c:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Any of you all try using Staze, the containers from Dynavap?

Conceptually, it makes sense to pull the air out but this feels cheap. I just tossed it into the drawer and am 1000% more satisfied with my Jyarz.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: gmo67

RustyOldNail

While personally NOT interested in the product below, thought I’d add the link below, as it’s part of this discussion.
It’s an ARGON gas system used with a glass jar.

Adobewan

While personally NOT interested in the product below, thought I’d add the link below, as it’s part of this discussion.
It’s an ARGON gas system used with a glass jar.

Seems a worthy concept, removing the O2 and light is the goal so can I suggest black glass or stainless steel for the top window?
The Cannascape(fun name) holds 2 oz. I think larger jars for larger quantities for long storage might be a consideration.

Adobewan,
Reactions: LesPlenty

axilla101

Anyone have any ideas or advice for material to use as dividers/separators in a C-Vault? I've got several ounces to separate across a few containers, and need to keep more than one strain in the same container.

Is cardboard ok? Is plastic better? Open to any and all opinions-- thanks in advance!

axilla101,
Reactions: LesPlenty

RustyOldNail

Anyone have any ideas or advice for material to use as dividers/separators in a C-Vault? I've got several ounces to separate across a few containers, and need to keep more than one strain in the same container.

Is cardboard ok? Is plastic better? Open to any and all opinions-- thanks in advance!

Since I use the 62% Bovida packs in my C-Vaults, and store multiple strains, I use small MESH bags and depending on how much I put in, I can get 2-3 bags, along with a tiny Bluetooth humidity gauge.

Some will say storing different types of stains together in an airtight container, will mess up the terpenes and flavor. I’m not a connoisseur or have a great sense of taste so I proceeded anyway, but it’s certainly a possibility, so something to consider?

The first link are the MESH bags I use, they are nylon mesh, inexpensive.

2nd link: are similar bags made for aquariums, I bought a few of them, but they are a lot more expensive, perhaps better then the nylon ones?

On Amazon you can also find various other types, hemp cotton etc, but many of these types have their own smell, that I didn’t want in my containers.

Top Bottom