The CORRECT way to store your bud?

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
I find the best way to keep herb is using a boost pack (don't like boveda you will never convince me they don't steal terps) and a raw hydrostone (A simple terracotta disc) soked 10 seconds from dry. Josh from RAW talked about this method, so I can't take the credit. It... does something to the bud. Something tremendous. I put a barrier, usually the humidity pack's plastic sleeve, between the stone and the boost pack, which is in yet another plastic sleeve (otherwise the humidity pack gets really wet and the stone really dry). They self-regulate eachother, but that's not the important part.

The important part is that the jars seem to stay at the exact perfect humidity level but the buds get STICKY AF and FLUFFY AF. I do not understand it. I don't pretend to understand it. I just do it because: you could keep bud with any humidity pack for 1 month in perfect storage and it won't do what this can do in 24 hours. Personally I find the end vape is much more pleasant and smooth. I'd love to get more thoughts on this method because nobody is talking about this and I can't live without it.

Video for those inclined:

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!
oxi-clean-but-wait-theres-more.gif

I miss Billy.

https://www.amazon.com/Ball-7061040001-Humidity-Control-Holders/dp/B084DX8FK4 See these? Yeah, I don't like keeping my humidity packs right against my bud. I don't care what anyone says, I swear they steal terps. I've tasted it, I've smelled it take lab tested 35% brownie scout that I drove 6 hours for into pitiful, almost vaporless crap. Boost is better about this but I still don't want them touching. These little baskets solve that, but honestly, I wish someone would make a 3d printed version where you could just slip a hydrostone and a humidity pack in vertically, or even just make a model of these so I wouldn't have to pay the likely 300%+ markup on these baskets or be forced to purchase the humidity packs.

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
Interesting. I use a CVAULT in combination with boveda packs. Some say 58% RH is better other say 62% RH Is better. Never used integra boost packs but my herb doesn't touch the packs anyway due to my CVAULT...
CVAULT is where I got the idea from separation at the lid, actually! I dislike Cvaults for the price:herb-stored ratio though. They're simple herbal storage containers bought in bulk with a little stainless steel holder welded on for pennies on the dollar, then upcharged like 500%

tokenknifeguy

So one could technically use a clay flower pot, maybe break a small corner off (making sure it is clean and sanitized before use) and then soaking in water for a few seconds? These things are dirt cheap at the hardware stores.

seriousTone

Very interesting..

So I use a boveda in a jar with separate jars with a hole in the cork lid to allow humidity in.

I've never had a problem with it and my bud stays fresh forever. Maybe it does steal terps, I wouldn't know.

But I'm always interested in new ways. I wonder if your method would work in my jar...i dont see why not i guess. I don't like the idea of only the soaked stone as it doesn't regulate but with the boost I'd like to try.

Why do you think the boveda steals terps but not boost?

I have one of these that would be fun to use but it's too small for this gallon size jar.

Honestly the soaked stone seems a little redundant unless you have some dry ass weed you need to bring back or really don't want to spend on new packs I guess---my boveda usually last 6+ months at least so I've never really cared much.

Last edited:

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
Why do you think the boveda steals terps but not boost?
Simple observation. I've seen bovedas and boosts in jars for the same time and one steals terps (smell and effects) way faster than the other. The reason the boost is suspended away from the weed in my setup is to prevent any terp stealing at all.
I have one of these that would be fun to use but it's too small for this gallon size jar.
Personally I find digital hygrometers to be more accurate. You can even do data collection, and setup notifications for when you hit certain levels.
Honestly the soaked stone seems a little redundant unless you have some dry ass weed you need to bring back or really don't want to spend on new packs I guess
I find it's for neither of those things. I don't like recharging packs; it's not worth the money/time cost-benefit ratio IMO. I honestly don't know how to describe what the hydrostone does to the buds, it's something you'll have to see to believe. It makes tremendous bud tremendous-er.

What are those little glass tubes you're using? Those look tremendous for rationing.

Last edited:

seriousTone

I honestly don't know how to describe what the hydrostone does to the buds, it's something you'll have to see to believe. It makes tremendous bud tremendous-er.

What are those little glass tubes you're using? Those look tremendous for rationing.
Alright well I'll get one to check out then, can't hurt.

Not only does my stash need to be re filled but my boveda is almost done for anyway so I'm going to get some new bud and a boost and the stone and see what's up.

I figure I'll "rehydrate" my bud with the stone then take out and put the boost in to keep regulated.

Shit I might even do half bud with the stone first and half with just a boost to see a difference.

The jars I actually got from a baby shower ha, they had m&ms in them... I'm sure something similar or the same can be found at hobby lobby or the likes--hopefully with the cork stoppers.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I bought the “stones”, linked to in OG message. Thanks, something to play with.
I also bought the 3-plastic baskets (that suspend a pack, or humidity gauge) that fit in the wide mouth mason jars, they came with 10- 62% Boost packs, and NO “indicator cards”, that supposedly show when they are done, because unlike Bovida packs that DRY out eventually, the jell in the boost packs always stays soft. I tested one of the NEW Boost packs and it never got above 55% humidity, haven’t opened the others. It came out of its own plastic wrapper.

I’ve never noticed any flavor loss with the Bovida packs, they seem acceptable to the high end cigar users, so good enough for me, and I like that you know when they are exhausted, just by feeling them.

I left the following info in another “herb humidity” thread.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R586J37?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_tab_ap_product_details

Received the Bluetooth wireless humidity sensor linked above yesterday. $15, very small, no screen, all the data shows on a free phone app. Included battery lasts one year, temperature and HUMIDITY can be manually adjusted if needed and you know how to test for accuracy. You can set notification alerts for HIGH/LOW temperatures and humidity. This means you don’t have to keep opening your containers to check a humidity gauge, and will know when that container is getting low in humidity, no matter if you use Boveda packs as I do or not.

This means you can monitor your stored stash WITHOUT opening your airtight container, as long as you are in Bluetooth range. There is another model, that can connect via WiFi, but that sensor is too large for my cramped containers, and I don’t need to monitor my stash from anywhere in the world.

Years ago, Boveda came out with one of the first wireless humidity monitors called “Butler”, just noticed they discontinued selling it, too expensive, and the Chinese now sell these cheaply, so they bailed out of this market.

So, testing this for the past 24 hours, and it’s impressibly ACCURATE out of the box. For $15, I’m going to buy a bunch more, and ditch the real cheap Chinese pucks with their inaccuracies and garbage batteries. I’ll keep the more expensive ones with display screen that I bought awhile ago

ginolicious

i store in mason jars. Issue though I fell into, since I grow, i end up with too many jars. I forget to burp them every few weeks after fully dried and then i get these jars 6 months old that havent been burped. Doing a mad clean right now

JohnJacobs

I find the best way to keep herb is using a boost pack (don't like boveda you will never convince me they don't steal terps)

Simple observation. I've seen bovedas and boosts in jars for the same time and one steals terps (smell and effects) way faster than the other.

I was reading something about the concern of boveda packs “stealing” terps (as in like you said, it takes the smell) and a counter argument to that was, that it actually keeps the terps in the bud which is why it’s not released into the air, ie: smell loss. I’m not a scientist so I can’t confirm this just some food for thought. :sherlock:

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
I bought the “stones”, linked to in OG message. Thanks, something to play with.
I also bought the 3-plastic baskets (that suspend a pack, or humidity gauge) that fit in the wide mouth mason jars, they came with 10- 62% Boost packs, and NO “indicator cards”, that supposedly show when they are done, because unlike Bovida packs that DRY out eventually, the jell in the boost packs always stays soft. I tested one of the NEW Boost packs and it never got above 55% humidity, haven’t opened the others. It came out of its own plastic wrapper.

I’ve never noticed any flavor loss with the Bovida packs, they seem acceptable to the high end cigar users, so good enough for me, and I like that you know when they are exhausted, just by feeling them.

Years ago, Boveda came out with one of the first wireless humidity monitors called “Butler”, just noticed they discontinued selling it, too expensive, and the Chinese now sell these cheaply, so they bailed out of this market.

So, testing this for the past 24 hours, and it’s impressibly ACCURATE out of the box. For $15, I’m going to buy a bunch more, and ditch the real cheap Chinese pucks with their inaccuracies and garbage batteries. I’ll keep the more expensive ones with display screen that I bought awhile ago
My boost packs get hard when they're done as well, just like bovedas. You need a 2nd boost pack for its plastic sleeve to make that sandwich of plastic-hydrostone-plastic-boost-plasitc I described in the OP. Leave that one out and you'll feel it get hard. I use bovedas with my cigars, but the bovedas are always behind some cedar with slots in it and never touch my sticks. I agree: never liked the boveda butler, it was overpriced and you're right, the chinese sensors are pretty decent nowadays.

Getting rid of those cheap disc humidity meters was a tremendous move.
i store in mason jars. Issue though I fell into, since I grow, i end up with too many jars. I forget to burp them every few weeks after fully dried and then i get these jars 6 months old that havent been burped. Doing a mad clean right now
There are some special lids on amazon that you just pump and press down on to burp. Use the very chinese humidity meters we're talking about, especially these wifi ones, and you can get automatic burping notifications for jar X, Y, and Z based on time, or even RH based notifications and warnings. It takes seconds to burp each one since you just press down, no unscrewing or screwing. https://www.amazon.com/Burp-Lids-LLC/dp/B07W7WF154
I was reading something about the concern of boveda packs “stealing” terps (as in like you said, it takes the smell) and a counter argument to that was, that it actually keeps the terps in the bud which is why it’s not released into the air, ie: smell loss. I’m not a scientist so I can’t confirm this just some food for thought.
:sherlock:
I've read that very argument that you're talking about, and I find it to be a cope. I disagree, here's why: there's terpenes inside and outside of the bud. Terpenes on the outside of the bud, in contact with those humidity packs, are the ones most likely to be transferred away from the bud. They will not osmosis inside and hide away.

Storing bud in a winefridge at 33 degrees fahreheit at the correct humidity is shown to reduce degradation to basically nothing on the term of months. The smell is preserved because all terpenes (>99% IIRC) are preserved. Bovedas steal terps, and I'm pretty sure boost packs steal them too long term. That's why I keep them separated from the weed. Take an issue, make it a non-issue.
Alright well I'll get one to check out then, can't hurt.

Not only does my stash need to be re filled but my boveda is almost done for anyway so I'm going to get some new bud and a boost and the stone and see what's up.

I figure I'll "rehydrate" my bud with the stone then take out and put the boost in to keep regulated.

Shit I might even do half bud with the stone first and half with just a boost to see a difference.
Tremendous. Just make sure you don't overhydrate on the bud with only a stone. The stones will continuously hydrate so you'd pull it out after overnight. It is SERIOUS about hydration.

Last edited:

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
I just got my stones today and early impressions are good! I'm currently trying to hydrate some of Canadas driest weed from Aurora, and I challenge any fellow Canadian members to point me in the direction of something drier, available legally :lol:. I've tried using 5 intregra packs at once and never got it to the point where I could grid it not to dust. 5 hours after throwing it in the jar wit 2 intregra that at this point aren't doing anything and the weed is already a little springy and less crunchy!!!!! not checking it again till tonight to see if I'll leave it over night but dam these work great so far, thank you @VapePerson!!

edit: a few hours later from my last post,aprox 8 hours from dropping in the stone in and the weed is brought completely back to life!:o I am in disbelief ! but the moist bud in front of me says it is so!!!

Last edited:

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
I just got my stones today and early impressions are good! I'm currently trying to hydrate some of Canadas driest weed from Aurora, and I challenge any fellow Canadian members to point me in the direction of something drier, available legally :lol:. I've tried using 5 intregra packs at once and never got it to the point where I could grid it not to dust. 5 hours after throwing it in the jar wit 2 intregra that at this point aren't doing anything and the weed is already a little springy and less crunchy!!!!! not checking it again till tonight to see if I'll leave it over night but dam these work great so far, thank you @VapePerson!!

edit: a few hours later from my last post,aprox 8 hours from dropping in the stone in and the weed is brought completely back to life!:o I am in disbelief ! but the moist bud in front of me says it is so!!!
:D Welcome to the club bro! I'm glad I could help out. Make sure those packs are working to take excess humidity out; you wouldn't want to overhydrate!

ondemander

Also had good results with the hydro stones. Didn't have crazy dry weed or anything but it's noticeably better. I wonder if I should redip the stone every few weeks or so.

ondemander,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Md_Hybrid

Stuck under a 🪵
Hydrostones were delivered yesterday, humidity pack holders are coming today, and my E-nano XL should 🤞 be here by Saturday - it's gonna be a good weekend!

Edit - I'll report back on the hydrostones but I'm sure they'll work as intended.

BTW thanks for posting this @VapePerson! I bought 2 of those Kerr packs on Ebay plus the stones from Amazon for about $22 total.

Last edited:

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
I'm happy to report that as expected my results were tree🌲mendous! I did the combined stone/boost pack method and within 24 hours my pretty good dispensary herb was transformed into sticky dank. It worked so good I just ordered more stones - thanks again @VapePerson!
I'm glad things worked out well! Happy to help bro. ✊
I did the same thing :rofl:
That's a LOT of stones and boost packs 😲

Bad Dog

That's a LOT of stones and boost packs 😲
I have 10 strains on hand right now, some only with a g left some full and maintaining them has never been good long term, being a microdoser, this has been like a miracle! I've never been able to do shit to hydrate the desert dry LA from aurora.

and the moisture has changed my sessions, mostly I temp step by the time I go high there is not a lot left in the tank. now I'm getting a slower start but the is more left over when I go high witch I need a bit to put my high over the edge and my avb is lighter when I'm done, I kept a spent load and emptied it out, left it in the sun to "dry it out" and see if there was any noticeable vapour left, there wasn't but I did get darker avb:lol:

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
I have 10 strains on hand right now, some only with a g left some full and maintaining them has never been good long term, being a microdoser, this has been like a miracle! I've never been able to do shit to hydrate the desert dry LA from aurora.

and the moisture has changed my sessions, mostly I temp step by the time I go high there is not a lot left in the tank. now I'm getting a slower start but the is more left over when I go high witch I need a bit to put my high over the edge and my avb is lighter when I'm done, I kept a spent load and emptied it out, left it in the sun to "dry it out" and see if there was any noticeable vapour left, there wasn't but I did get darker avb:lol:
Tremendous! What changes have you noticed in the bud that has been with the stones the longest? Your climate is drier than mine; more data is always good.

VapePerson,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Bad Dog

with two of my strains when I have the bud felling the way I want it, when I pick off the bud to grind the leftover stem is so flexible I could tie it in a nought if it was long enough but it doesn't fell wet just supple. so far no mold with any of my bud and id say they are pretty moist, so far they are just maintaining that level at least the ones I have packed with a stone, pack in a bag. and I was able to hydrate 10g of bud over night with one stone and one dip!

edit: and my cheap weed almost grinds up as nice as my premium weed now

Top Bottom