The Chinese SJK Induction Heater and The VapCap

GoldenBud

You must hold ur M inside the SJK right? it can't touch the plastic inside while heating? only with the glass attachment u can let it rest there?

GoldenBud,
I often rest mine against the back of the plastic just to stop the cap from slipping off. You can see in the pics, I have some brown discoloring. Albeit, the plastic insert pops out and is replaceable if it really bothered someone.

Sometimes I lean it. Sometimes, diagonally. Backwards, once. LOL Doesn't seem to make much difference in performance.
Plus, I 'dip and sip' more often than not.

mobilrog

man, it feels like mine just takes forever to heat up. always gotta be pulling it out and putting it back in. 3 heating cycles till it clicks. its basically sitting on my work bench next to the dynavap I never use because of it. maybe ill revisit it or maybe ill just toss it. whatev at this point.

mobilrog,
I have owned 3 of them and never had that problem. In fact, they all worked about the same. There are some adjustments inside but I'm not sure which do what, exactly. Plus, a bad resistor or a cold solder joint could be shorting and stealing power. Do you know anything about electronics. Look at the boards and see if there are any obvious problems. Bummer that yours doesn't work right. I so much love mine (and, I'm not alone).

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Thanks for the clarification. That is about the time I get with my basic DIY China IH offering; 10 seconds for a good hot first draw. 3 seconds past both clicks and I see combustion on a second draw.

TommyDee,
Reactions: LesPlenty

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I used to leave a slice of wine cork in the bottom of mine to rest the tip on when heating and to stop me heating so much of the stem as well as the tip.:tup:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Looks fine where you have it @Hetts, just experiment for yourself but it sounds as if you are happy where it is, I rocked the wine cork spacers too.:tup:

LesPlenty,

JJ785

Looks fine where you have it @Hetts, just experiment for yourself but it sounds as if you are happy where it is, I rocked the wine cork spacers too.:tup:

Thanks for reply. As pictured, I do not insert the M that far to protect the o rings, but plan on getting a glass stem at some point which should help.

I'm heating up my M about four times for each load, although often three is enough. The second two (of four) require pulling out and back in again. I wonder if a titanium tip would help speed things up, so all were done within the first five cycles? Maybe @Hackerman could comment?

To first click takes about 10 seconds from cold and 8 seconds subsequently with a warmed up vapcap , which is about what others here reported.

Hope you are all staying safe folks and best wishes ..

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
@Hackerman
Wanted to thank you for creating this thread, and to all the contributors.

While the custom made to order portable IH units are attractive, the wait lists, not so much. Found this SJK thread, and unit should arrive in a few days. Currently $55 on US Amazon site. This is the one that’s coming:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K7HQXWJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve read this thread, and had a few quick questions.

1: Has it been determined if heating of Dynavap is more even, faster, or in any way more efficient if DV head is “centered” in IH heater hole (being centered within IH coils)?

*Reason I ask, is before potentially buying the now $15 Ddave insert mod, I’m going to see what glass I have on hand to make my own insert mod. If heating efficiency is the same on the DV while NOT centered in unit, then it’s easier to just use an appropriately sized glass insert, (like an ECig glass tank), and let the Dynavap just sit on the bottom of glass cup, (no longer in the true center of opening and inner coil)

2: Read one or two posts, that the THICKNESS of a glass insert, may reduce heater efficiency, and increase the heating time. Any consensus on this, so I can hopefully choose the best glass wall thickness?

Thanks to all!

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I spin the VC so centering isn't an issue. And glass is transparent to induction energy so the only analogy would be that the signal is weaker in the center.

The proper way to test this is to watch the current of the supply when the load (VC) is inserted. On an AC unit, you can only do that by measuring the input.
If the current reading was higher in the center, then it is imparting the most heat. If the current is higher on an edge and decreases as you move to the center, then spinning the VC is going to heat it faster.

I never really focused on using it any special way. Stick the Vapcap in the opening... When it clicks, pull it out. LOL It seems like it works perfectly without any special attention or mod. I have used it many ways. They all seem to work just fine. Right now, I am using it standing on it's end with the hole pointing straight up. LOL

RustyOldNail

I spin the VC so centering isn't an issue. And glass is transparent to induction energy so the only analogy would be that the signal is weaker in the center.

The proper way to test this is to watch the current of the supply when the load (VC) is inserted. On an AC unit, you can only do that by measuring the input.
If the current reading was higher in the center, then it is imparting the most heat. If the current is higher on an edge and decreases as you move to the center, then spinning the VC is going to heat it faster.

I’m interested in IH, to avoid flame & SPINNING. Guess I’ll figure it out when it arrives.

Maryjanie

Those Chinese factory managers thinking:
Where all these cheap-ass dentists coming from, all of sudden?

That's funny as shit!

Bought one of these today. Bc it's not considered a priority item on amazon due to the pandemic, it says I wont get it until April 24th. I hope it comes sooner. Ordered DDave's fix for it. Anybody decorated theirs? If so, with what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maryjanie,

RustyOldNail

Bought one of these today. Bc it's not considered a priority item on amazon due to the pandemic, it says I wont get it until April 24th. I hope it comes sooner. Ordered DDave's fix for it. Anybody decorated theirs? If so, with what?

If you want it sooner, cancel that one and order the linked one I posted above. I saw the same delivery time as you, then searched some more and found one more “prime” offer. These devices are all the same and made in the same Chinese factory. Mine showed shipped today, arriving this Tuesday. I think the wording for the devices differ a bit, and this one must have used “medical” wording, and hence not subject to the non medical shipping delays, but who knows.... and it is for medical use, for US!

Maryjanie

If you want it sooner, cancel that one and order the linked one I posted above. I saw the same delivery time as you, then searched some more and found one more “prime” offer. These devices are all the same and made in the same Chinese factory. Mine showed shipped today, arriving this Tuesday. I think the wording for the devices differ a bit, and this one must have used “medical” wording, and hence not subject to the non medical shipping delays, but who knows.... and it is for medical use, for US!

You da bomb! Thanks! Says it'll be here Thursday!!!! I'll take that! Much better than the 25th

RustyOldNail

I believe @Maryjanie was interested in getting it faster, as opposed to saving a few bucks.
However, she did bring me luck, instead of Tuesday, I woke up today, it was notified it was delivered to Amazon locker. 3 days, since I placed order.

Quick test, it turned on, heated up tip with no load. Fan seems quite to me, units not as large as photos make it seem. Very light, seems made as cheaply as possible, but we knew that. Says on front “SJK Tecnic China”, standard 2-prong USA male AC plug. Now the real “material” testing begins.

Maryjanie

I believe @Maryjanie was interested in getting it faster, as opposed to saving a few bucks.
However, she did bring me luck, instead of Tuesday, I woke up today, it was notified it was delivered to Amazon locker. 3 days, since I placed order.

Quick test, it turned on, heated up tip with no load. Fan seems quite to me, units not as large as photos make it seem. Very light, seems made as cheaply as possible, but we knew that. Says on front “SJK Tecnic China”, standard 2-prong USA male AC plug. Now the real “material” testing begins.

Ha! Maybe mine will come sooner too! Please let me know how it heats your load.

And yes, I was looking for faster and willing to pay the difference.

RustyOldNail

Ha! Maybe mine will come sooner too! Please let me know how it heats your load.

And yes, I was looking for faster and willing to pay the difference.

Heating the load is what I’m still playing with, the depth you insert to is the key, which I’m still searching for. Put it does work.

My impressions of this cheap unit is. I’m glad they made no attempt at fake UL or any other safety organizations “stickers”. The only sticker on the bottom says: “110v2003”, and unlike most decent electronic Chinese products, there are no other electrical specs on this one. Others have listed the specs I believe in this thread, the Amazon page says “120watts”, and I guess that’s in the ballpark for these types of small IH units. The plug is a standard 2-prong, ungrounded US, while a thin gauge, it can handle that low watt spec. I will say, being lazy so far, as I have yet to open it up.

So my external observations are for me personally, I’ll respectfully treat this unit a a POTENTIAL FIRE HAZARD. If I paid $55, you can imagine how cheap it really is. Turning it off after use is smart, but putting the device on a separate “switched outlet”, is even smarter, therefore NO electricity going to the unit. I have a bit of experience with electricity, so I’m comfortable enough to use it with safety being of prime importance. Remember, a candle can burn down a building. Not trying to scare anyone, use it wisely.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I’ll respectfully treat this unit a a POTENTIAL FIRE HAZARD.
Good advice, I think I posted pictures of my first unit that turned itself on and stayed on until the whole lot melted...I only turn mine on while I am using it now!
There was a full slab of cork in there for depth check,
img_20180930_132327-jpg.5070

Maryjanie

Heating the load is what I’m still playing with, the depth you insert to is the key, which I’m still searching for. Put it does work.

My impressions of this cheap unit is. I’m glad they made no attempt at fake UL or any other safety organizations “stickers”. The only sticker on the bottom says: “110v2003”, and unlike most decent electronic Chinese products, there are no other electrical specs on this one. Others have listed the specs I believe in this thread, the Amazon page says “120watts”, and I guess that’s in the ballpark for these types of small IH units. The plug is a standard 2-prong, ungrounded US, while a thin gauge, it can handle that low watt spec. I will say, being lazy so far, as I have yet to open it up.

So my external observations are for me personally, I’ll respectfully treat this unit a a POTENTIAL FIRE HAZARD. If I paid $55, you can imagine how cheap it really is. Turning it off after use is smart, but putting the device on a separate “switched outlet”, is even smarter, therefore NO electricity going to the unit. I have a bit of experience with electricity, so I’m comfortable enough to use it with safety being of prime importance. Remember, a candle can burn down a building. Not trying to scare anyone, use it wisely.

Ha! I got it yesterday a day early! I ordered Dave's stuff for it though so I'm waiting on it to get here b4 I try it.

Maryjanie,
Top Bottom