The Angus Halogen Vape by YLL Vape

good_psy

Update: Mine is only pulling 13W with a 68W charger and it still gets it to full in well under a few hours.

Thanks for checking. I'm buying an external charger and new set of batteries today. Hopefully I was worried about nothing, and the original set of batteries were just too flat for the charger to quickly charge.

That is totally normal dude, brand new batteries take about 6 hours to fully charge, better to do so externally instead of in the device...

Thanks, that's good to know. I am buying external charger today.

Interesting that you are selling yours already. It's a design that will divide people. It's large and heavy. Personally I like it. I like how the device has no beeping or LCD screen annoyances. It keeps things simple with just one button and one subtle light. All that metal and wood is very nice, different.

After quickly trying the WPA last night, and capsules, I think I will be using both going forward. The capsules fit perfectly, like they intended the vape to be used this way. The WPA looks so good when attached, and I will find a good compact stem to use. I don't need water, but I want a larger glass stem. The built in glass stem is too short relative to the size of the device.

I hope the taste gets better over time as I break it in, I noticed it wasn't as fruity and fresh as my desktop vape!

Hi, I have problem with new Angus! I hope someone can advise.

It came with Molicel batteries in the case. I put them in and did a quick power on test. Saw the batteries needed charging, so switched off and connected a fast USB-C charger.

More than 5 hours later the unit is still charging. The light ring has slowly progressed to three quarters charged, so it does seem to be charging... but 5 hours? What could be the cause? Faulty batteries, faulty Angus? I tried two different fast chargers, so the problem is not the charger.

I tested the power usage with a meter, and the charger is pushing out a steady 14 watts as it charges the Angus. I don't know if that's normal.... and I don't know if I should return the Angus, or try different batteries or charger, or maybe even the USB cable?
I don't know what the cause might be for slow charging. I usually charge externally and swap batteries. When I used the usbc charging I was pleased with how quickly it charged. It seemed to be just as quick as the external charger. If the batteries are ok then I would say that is not normal behavior.

good_psy

I don't know what the cause might be for slow charging. I usually charge externally and swap batteries. When I used the usbc charging I was pleased with how quickly it charged. It seemed to be just as quick as the external charger. If the batteries are ok then I would say that is not normal behavior.

It turns out one of the batteries that shipped with the Angus was bad or severely depleted. The Angus charges both at same time, so if one is bad it won't reach full charge, even after 7 hours. I bought an external charger which confirmed one of the batteries was not healthy. After several hours of charging, the bad battery eventually came good with external charger.

One more comment about using the Angus upside down... it's not good for using this way. It's too heavy. If you're hoping to use it upside down with water piece, I would recommend choosing a different vape. The Angus is more suited to using upright. Also the weight distribution is top heavy, so doesn't feel balanced in your hand. Not a huge deal, but if you're attaching glass pieces, be mindful that the Angus was already top-heavy, and you've just added more weight to the top! It's not perfect, but what vape is?

Mad_Max

It turns out one of the batteries that shipped with the Angus was bad or severely depleted. The Angus charges both at same time, so if one is bad it won't reach full charge, even after 7 hours. I bought an external charger which confirmed one of the batteries was not healthy. After several hours of charging, the bad battery eventually came good with external charger.

One more comment about using the Angus upside down... it's not good for using this way. It's too heavy. If you're hoping to use it upside down with water piece, I would recommend choosing a different vape. The Angus is more suited to using upright. Also the weight distribution is top heavy, so doesn't feel balanced in your hand. Not a huge deal, but if you're attaching glass pieces, be mindful that the Angus was already top-heavy, and you've just added more weight to the top! It's not perfect, but what vape is?
I've been using the Angus on a small glass piece and it works fine. I use it like this most every day. Yes it's top heavy and you have to be a little careful, but I haven't had any problems in the 7 weeks I've had it so far. I like to use it on a bong!

Hasty

I've been using the Angus on a small glass piece and it works fine. I use it like this most every day. Yes it's top heavy and you have to be a little careful, but I haven't had any problems in the 7 weeks I've had it so far. I like to use it on a bong!
FC0-C212-D-ED55-4-E8-F-8-B2-B-6-DB44-F71927-E.jpg

I concur, I use my angus upside down all the time no issue. It is indeed top heavy but I don’t think it matters much.

I’ve been abusing this thing since I got it and I’m only loving it more. Only new issue so far is the two seams have started to separate so I can see the insides a little bit. Also, my device doesn’t seem to do the shutoff thing that I see people complaining about, and I’ve smacked it down pretty hard.

Mad_Max

FC0-C212-D-ED55-4-E8-F-8-B2-B-6-DB44-F71927-E.jpg

I concur, I use my angus upside down all the time no issue. It is indeed top heavy but I don’t think it matters much.

I’ve been abusing this thing since I got it and I’m only loving it more. Only new issue so far is the two seams have started to separate so I can see the insides a little bit. Also, my device doesn’t seem to do the shutoff thing that I see people complaining about, and I’ve smacked it down pretty hard.
Where are these seams? Above and below the wood?

Pukka

Indeed, it’s very slight but it’s enough to be annoying.
It is, isn't it. Mine is similar and it screws with my inner anal-retentiveness 🙃 I can't decide if it's always been this way or it's shrinking. I mean, the wood is sinking alot of heat in use and I know nothing about the wood used except that mine looks nice. I would say "I love wood" but then all of you would make fun of me 🙂 And given Angus's price (no disrespect meant) I understand slightly looser tolerances. Maybe v2 can use a softer intermediate strip between the wood and stainless to mask/decorate.

Mad_Max

Indeed, it’s very slight but it’s enough to be annoying.
It is, isn't it. Mine is similar and it screws with my inner anal-retentiveness 🙃 I can't decide if it's always been this way or it's shrinking. I mean, the wood is sinking alot of heat in use and I know nothing about the wood used except that mine looks nice. I would say "I love wood" but then all of you would make fun of me 🙂 And given Angus's price (no disrespect meant) I understand slightly looser tolerances. Maybe v2 can use a softer intermediate strip between the wood and stainless to mask/decorate.

This is a teardown/bulb replacement video. The first step is heating the label on the bottom and pealing it off to reveal 4 screws that hold the whole thing together, through four post that run all the way to the top. Maybe yours are loose?

Last edited:
Been staring at my Angus for a week waiting for my Liion battery order to arrive! Darn tracking stopped updating with USPS after it was supposed to arrive this past Saturday. Good thing my VAS has supplied me with more vapes than any one person needs, but damn I am about to go pay exorbitant prices at the local battery store. Cheers!

Mad_Max

Darn tracking stopped updating with USPS after it was supposed to arrive this past Saturday.
Yeah that happened to me on a Saturday waiting on a glass piece. Here it means "We don't know where your package is right now, but it will pop up soon and find it's way to your location."

RichardsBag

What type of materials could fill this role? I was trying to solve a similar isssue recently and came up dry.

RichardsBag,
Reactions: BigJr48

chimpybits

Well, after 2 months of daily use, it looks like my unit now has an issue. Charging is stuck not going anywhere after "charging" for about 24 hours. I've reinstalled the batteries a few times to try to reset. I've only charged in the unit with the original matched batteries that I ordered with the Angus.

It looks like I'll be contacting Phil of Soothing Vapours.
EDIT. Phil replies 10 minutes later - service tech on it and they’ll have a resolution within a couple of days. CS has been excellent (including prompt MP replacement). :tup:

EDIT. Reinstalled the batts again and tried a different USB wall charger and that got it charged. :nod::clap:

That USB block worked with the Angus every day prior and is charging my phone now, so don’t know if that’s it, or the resets, or the alignment of the stars.

Last edited:

good_psy

I've only charged in the unit

Definitely get an external charger such as the Nitecore UM2 or anything like that. It's the only way to recover batteries that might be too depleted or are in bad health. I found this out on day 1. The external chargers use a separate circuit for each battery, so one bad cell doesn't hobble the other.

Fair enough. I've been using it right way up with small water pipe (without water) and works well. Could never use upside down, it feels wrong in terms of balance and weight. Maybe I'm OCD, but I like things that are designed to fit neatly with other things.

Probably just me, but I don't understand why people filter water vapour through water. I understand filtering smoke through water but not water through water. Vapour only needs a good air path to cool down.

Hasty

Solved the loose piece issue, the 4 screws on top can be tightened with a T5 bit. Mine were incredibly loose, almost a full turn on each. But I am happy to say after tightening those the entire device feels more sturdy.

Side note, I just received my micro dose stem for this bad boy and man it is perfect. Highly recommend picking up from TRWW.

RichardsBag

Definitely get an external charger such as the Nitecore UM2 or anything like that. It's the only way to recover batteries that might be too depleted or are in bad health. I found this out on day 1. The external chargers use a separate circuit for each battery, so one bad cell doesn't hobble the other.

Fair enough. I've been using it right way up with small water pipe (without water) and works well. Could never use upside down, it feels wrong in terms of balance and weight. Maybe I'm OCD, but I like things that are designed to fit neatly with other things.

Probably just me, but I don't understand why people filter water vapour through water. I understand filtering smoke through water but not water through water. Vapour only needs a good air path to cool down.
I use water less and less as I realise this more. Even with a Knee high straight tube or other giant peices. The glass can cool hits tremdously without obstructing the airpath (beads,balls etc) and provide a more potent,flavorful hit.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I agree about the last part; I stopped using water in my glass a long time ago.
But the first part (of the above) caught my attention.
When we vape canna it is surely much more than water vapor we inhale? Lots of gaseous, "vaporized" cannabinoids hopefully are happening, too?

SquirrelMaster

The halogen bulb definitely gives off a strange taste.
The weird thing is it didn’t have a strange taste when I first got it but after continued use it’s really noticeable now.
I don't think it's the halogen, granted, I do not have another halogen vape to compare. I've just never heard complaints about halogen, instead I've heard only praises. I agree with you though.

Mad_Max

The halogen bulb definitely gives off a strange taste.
The weird thing is it didn’t have a strange taste when I first got it but after continued use it’s really noticeable now.

I don't think it's the halogen, granted, I do not have another halogen vape to compare. I've just never heard complaints about halogen, instead I've heard only praises. I agree with you though.

Here is a comparison review between the Angus and another halogen bulb vape, the Herbalizer. The result of the comparison is that these halogen vapes have a similar flavor, or signature, their calling it. By what I've read on here, there are some who don't like that taste. I think of the Davinci IQ and IQ2, which have a particular flavor signature that I haven't found in another vape, yet. I think that "Flavor Chamber" is the deal, there.

SquirrelMaster

Here is a comparison review between the Angus and another halogen bulb vape, the Herbalizer. The result of the comparison is that these halogen vapes have a similar flavor, or signature, their calling it. By what I've read on here, there are some who don't like that taste. I think of the Davinci IQ and IQ2, which have a particular flavor signature that I haven't found in another vape, yet. I think that "Flavor Chamber" is the deal, there.
What stuck me as odd was how the flavor changed overtime as @Sue Narmy pointed out. My unit was defective though so maybe that was the culprit. I'd like to try another though. I did enjoy my time with the Angus otherwise.

Top Bottom