The Angus Halogen Vape by YLL Vape

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Seems there are multiple problems with this device..
What are the pro's and cons of getting one?
It's within my budget and I'm looking for a new one..
But if there are too many problems with it...
Cons for me are the oring above the herb chamber and the odor/taste some users report that hasn't been explained yet

The pros are price, versatile (can go low temp slow session or high temp big hit extraction), flavor is nice especially with peppery herb, seems durable and sturdy

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
can go low temp slow session or high temp big hit extraction

Oh I forgot to add though, it can't go lower than what is it 356F? So I also really wish it had a few lower temp settings especially considering how large, powerful the heater is and how much heat it retains, I don't need the upper levels here at all personally...

Texus

Seems there are multiple problems with this device..
What are the pro's and cons of getting one?
It's within my budget and I'm looking for a new one..
But if there are too many problems with it...
And @Shit Snacks experience with the taste is not shared by everyone. For reasons that remain unclear.

Far far from awful for me and I honestly consider it one of its strengths. Even with cooling unit and mouthpiece that is being replaced. I'd certainly place the flavor above the Mighty, v3, Roffu or FW7 and there is much less drop off in the flavor as you take multiple hits compared to the Mighty and most other battery Vapes. My guess is that this is due to the halogen design since I also experience this in my Halo and Herbalizer. Currently if I want to get to know a new strain I've started to try it out on the Angus, Vapman and Nano XL since they give me the best feel for the flower's flavor profile.

Whether this is a difference in manufacturing between batches or related to some sort of super-sensitivity of @Shit Snacks and some others remains a mystery. I have stuffed my nose as close to the chamber and its o-ring (at the very top of the chamber and barely warm to the touch even after a full session on max temp) and don't smell a thing. Similarly no off flavor no matter what mouthpiece/WPA etc I use. And I've offered to compare my unit to one of someone who is having these complaints if I can get loaned theirs.

Other pros are ease of use (as easy as a Mighty for me) and swappable batteries (which the Mighty lacks). There is also lots of potential for aftermarket mouthpieces and WPAs as well due to how YLL decided to handle how those attach (strong magnets).

I'd also say that responsiveness of manufacturer to feedback and rapidity of getting out a new CU and providing these free of charge to buyers is a pro as well. Tho seems that some buyers have had complaints about responsiveness from YLL in written communications (tho YLL responded rapidly when this was brought up here).

Cons: this is a very new product and company so all caveats that go with being an early adopter apply here. So no idea yet about long term reliability or if bulb life lives up to claims (but there is a bulb replacement service being offered).

And of course the unsolved mystery of the widely differing experiences for different users has gotta be seen as a con too.

Haven't looked into battery life too closely yet but if not taking swappability into account then not gonna be as good as Mighty. But not in the poor battery life league of the Tafee Bowle (man I wish those were better or swappable).

For some another con is the lack of more fine grained temp adjustment, tho I find the range of temps fine and the steps between temp levels have never left me wishing I could have something in between.

Depending on how you plan to use it, the size and weight could also be a con. Bulky in the pocket so maybe a bit better suited to a bag or purse.

And if you report really liking the Angus on FC another con is accusations/insinuations of being a shill or a plant somehow enticed by free or discounted units by the manufacturer or being blinded by early adopter FOMO enthusiasm.

People differ in their personal preferences for session vs on demand. So whether that's a pro or con will differ there.

Hope this helps. But of course making these sorts of decisions is tough when there is such variance in user experience.

jasp3r

Whether this is a difference in manufacturing between batches or related to some sort of super-sensitivity of @Shit Snacks and some others remains a mystery.

As someone who you have called a "Super sniffer", respectively stop with this! Again super sensitivity? Just because you cant pick up what we see on it means we are super sensitive? Maybe you have a dull palate and can't taste shit from shinola! Ever consider that?

Other pros are ease of use (as easy as a Mighty for me) and swappable batteries (which the Mighty lacks). There is also lots of potential for aftermarket mouthpieces and WPAs as well due to how YLL decided to handle how those attach (strong magnets).

Batteries get super hot after chain sessions. Not a problem with Mighty. Definitely the Roffu has this problem. But swappable batteries are great... if you can keep them at a safe operating temperature. I have used a laser thermometer and got the batteries tagged at 95 F. Around 30 degrees away from top end of safe operating temperature.

I'd also say that responsiveness of manufacturer to feedback and rapidity of getting out a new CU and providing these free of charge to buyers is a pro as well. Tho seems that some buyers have had complaints about responsiveness from YLL in written communications (tho YLL responded rapidly when this was brought up here).

You mean issuing a recall for the mouthpiece due to safety hazards but not calling it a recall? How lucky am I they packages a faulty design and decided to ship out replacements free of charge?

What other vapes do you know that had a recall of its main accessory not even a month after it was released! Lol you need a dose of reality

Airpath is not isolated, if you cover hole on bottom still can feed air in and out of device, so isolation may vary due to who in the factory assembled the device?

So yeah please remind us all how great the angus is with the stubby and firewood stem! Such a good beta tester using the accessories that come in the box

Texus

As someone who you have called a "Super sniffer", respectively stop with this! Again super sensitivity?
That is one guess among others that you didn't bother to quote from my reply. I'm enough of a food and drink nerd as well that I am confident that I don't have some impaired sense of smell. All I mean by "super sniffer" is that others' sense of smell may be more sensitive than mine. If 'super sniffer' offends then I'll try to use different terminology. Was just an efficient way to convey what I was trying to say. I am also hardly alone in not having experienced these issues. Is it really your conclusion that everyone who did not report an identical experience to yours must "have a dull palate and can't taste shit from shinola!"??

You mean issuing a recall for the mouthpiece due to safety hazards but not calling it a recall? How lucky am I they packages a faulty design and decided to ship out replacements free of charge?

What other vapes do you know that had a recall of its main accessory not even a month after it was released! Lol you need a dose of reality

I thought that this was blatently obvious enough of a con that it didn't need to be mentioned. And again, I have not personally experienced any of those issues related to the mouthpiece replacement.

Airpath is not isolated, if you cover hole on bottom still can feed air in and out of device, so isolation may vary due to who in the factory assembled the device?

This sort of isolation is not a biggie for me as long as I feel that it doesn't interfere with the quality of the hit.

So yeah please remind us all how great the angus is with the stubby and firewood stem! Such a good beta tester using the accessories that come in the box

While I clearly want to keep spreading the word about the options that I prefer for those that may not have read the entire 70 pages, I have also repeatedly said that while I prefer those I have also personally had no big issues with either the stock mouthpiece or the WPA. I mean yeah, the opening on the metal part of the WPA could be a bit wider, but that's getting a bit nitpicky. If you want to throw that on the cons pile, by all means do so.

And to be clear, I'm not a beta tester here. I was offered one of the units from the first small batch that VGoodiez sent out since very soon after it was announced I'd sent them an email to be put on a notification/waitlist for its release. As @VGOODIEZ has explained in the quote below.

I was given 10 pre-production units. As we have discussed there was not enough time to provide feedback before the production units came out.

I selected the 10 people based and who contacted me first regarding interest in the Angus.

Last edited:

jasp3r

That is one guess among others that you didn't bother to quote from my reply. I'm enough of a food and drink nerd as well that I am confident that I don't have some impaired sense of smell. All I mean by "super sniffer" is that others' sense of smell may be more sensitive than mine. If 'super sniffer' offends then I'll try to use different terminology. Was just an efficient way to convey what I was trying to say. I am also hardly alone in not having experienced these issues. Is it really your conclusion that everyone who did not report an identical experience to yours must "have a dull palate and can't taste shit from shinola!"??
How many times have you edited your message since posting. I start typing something out and it looks like you see the fallacy and then make an edit to get rid of your personal digs. Have a goodnight buddy!

This sort of isolation is not a biggie for me as long as I feel that it doesn't interfere with the quality of the hit.
By definition it is not isolated then?

Texus

Oh no! I edited my post unprompted by anything other than a desire for more clarity and a nicer tone! The horror!!!

And let's remember who slung this gem:
Maybe you have a dull palate and can't taste shit from shinola! Ever consider that?
Hint: it wasn't me.

And I don't see why whoever may have written that felt so compelled to hurl insults like that at me (and maybe by extension anyone else who did not share that person's experience?).

jasp3r

Oh no! I edited my post unprompted by anything other than a desire for more clarity and a nicer tone! The horror!!!

And let's remember who slung this gem:

Hint: it wasn't me.

And I don't see why whoever may have written that felt so compelled to hurl insults like that at me (and maybe by extension anyone else who did not share that person's experience?).
Because you have called me and other super sniffers and belittled us constantly for mentioning anything negative about the vape. I apologize if my hyperbole offended you, but now you see how discounting someone's opinion can be hurtful?

Texus

Because you have called me and other super sniffers and belittled us constantly for mentioning anything negative about the vape. I apologize if my hyperbole offended you, but now you see how discounting someone's opinion can be hurtful?
Sorry, in my world being a super sniffer would be a high compliment (for example given to excellent sommeliers or cicerones). And now I've apologized, explained why I used the word, and will not use it going forward because of your earlier comment. I've also done enough neuroscience and physiology research to have seen firsthand on multiple occasions how much variation exists in sensitivities like this (thus the inclusion of confidence intervals and bars for margin of errors in academic journal articles to account for individual variation within a population among other things).

And IIRC, I've always posited this as one hypothesis among others. I'd love to get to the bottom of the reasons for the range of experiences that Angus users have reported. It truly puzzles me and all we have are hypotheses at present.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
And of course the unsolved mystery of the widely differing experiences for different users has gotta be seen as a con too.

There is no unsolved mystery, smell is the sense in humans with the most variation. There are even many genetically linked parts that make some groups find some particular smell pleasant while other groups having a different gene variation will find the exact same smell repulsive.

Exemple 1: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...318ba8-f9f8-11e2-8752-b41d7ed1f685_story.html

Exemple 2: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317145

It's been known on this forum for a long while that our members have different sensitivities vs silicone, and I believe this is the likely culprit here since it's present in several places inside the airpath.

I for one would be what you call a super sniffer when it comes to silicone. Even minute amounts of the clear type (without coloring agents) anwhere close to a vapor path, I end up noticing. For instance it took me a while to understand why the FM5 Mini-Pro had a different signature than the FM5 Pro, since it was just a shrunk-down version of the latter. And it's only after I did a tear-down that I noticed they added a very thin silicone insulation ring just below the heater close to the intake holes.

Also if some people have non-isolated units due to assembly problems (it's easy to misalign a gasket and have it pinched for instance) they could also be smelling stuff from the bottom compartment where the PCB is.

And to be clear, I'm not a beta tester here. I was offered one of the units from the first small batch that VGoodiez sent out since very soon after it was announced

You have bought a pre-production unit according to what you quoted, so yes by definition you are a beta-tester whether you wanted it or not. But the most appropriate term would be a Guinea pig, since the poor chaps usually didn't ask to be parts of experiments lol But I won't use that term since you'll likely find it insulting.

On the other hand pre-production units tend to get more attention to details and care in assembly, since they are meant to validate the production run. So your unit might indeed be perfect while others could have gotten something sloppier built.

But really, do you realize that for EVERY post questioning or criticizing this device in this thread, we are guaranteed to immediately see a follow up answer from you taking its defense? I could again use another animal analogy with Man's best friend but I'll refrain.

So take it easy, this is a place for discussion and you don't have to systematically try to have the last word when you encounter differing opinions or tastes.

Last edited:

leanpubpackage

Batteries get super hot after chain sessions. Not a problem with Mighty. Definitely the Roffu has this problem. But swappable batteries are great... if you can keep them at a safe operating temperature. I have used a laser thermometer and got the batteries tagged at 95 F. Around 30 degrees away from top end of safe operating temperature.

My battery is warm, but not hot after chain sessions. I’ve stressed tested it like hell during the burn off.

When I cover the bottom holes, the airpath is completely blocked on my device.

I think the Angus is a phenomenal device. As a vape enthusiast community, I don’t think it’s out of the ordinary to express excitement over a small hack or even the device itself. For whatever reason, the community around the Angus is highly polarized, where both sides (including those who don’t own one) absolutely wants to be right. More than half of this thread is drama and every time I revisit, I hope for something productive. In the end, this is just a hobby, and I don’t think it’s all that serious

FearAndLawyering

I think the Angus is a phenomenal device. As a vape enthusiast community, I don’t think it’s out of the ordinary to express excitement over a small hack or even the device itself.
the issue is where he has to retort every single negative response and get the last word in and wants his singular personal experience to override multiple other peoples experience.

4 melted mouthpieces, 3+ reports of tasting silicone. always met with ‘my unit is fine you must be making it up OR you have something physically wrong with your ability to taste’.

how many posts back and forth about tasting silicone? he hasn’t needed to actually reply on here in weeks if he’s truly happy with his device.

imagine camping the reviews on best buy for a product for months on end like this.

checkyourlibido

the issue is where he has to retort every single negative response and get the last word in and wants his singular personal experience to override multiple other peoples experience.

4 melted mouthpieces, 3+ reports of tasting silicone. always met with ‘my unit is fine you must be making it up OR you have something physically wrong with your ability to taste’.

how many posts back and forth about tasting silicone? he hasn’t needed to actually reply on here in weeks if he’s truly happy with his device.

imagine camping the reviews on best buy for a product for months on end like this.
@840_divided_by_two see the post above which is my biggest concern. It seems like YMMV. I might be willing to roll the dice on a unit that melts mouthpieces. But I’m a medical user. It seems counterintuitive with all my personal circumstances to add a silicone smell, whatever that may be, to my body.

But there a people here and even vendors that have been said to be trustworthy who seem to be very positive about the device. I’m kind of glad I didn’t listen to them, but I’m just a hard head anyway.

I’ll just wait until the recalls are done and see what happens. I’ll add that if I was 21 year old me, I’d be all over the Angus. I love the design. I mean really, I love it. I’m just going to be patient.

840_divided_by_two

see the post above which is my biggest concern. It seems like YMMV. I might be willing to roll the dice on a unit that melts mouthpieces. But I’m a medical user. It seems counterintuitive with all my personal circumstances to add a silicone smell, whatever that may be, to my body.

But there a people here and even vendors that have been said to be trustworthy who seem to be very positive about the device. I’m kind of glad I didn’t listen to them, but I’m just a hard head anyway.

I’ll just wait until the recalls are done and see what happens. I’ll add that if I was 21 year old me, I’d be all over the Angus. I love the design. I mean really, I love it. I’m just going to be patient.

Thanks for the response. Just got a mighty plus so that should scratch the VAS itch until these get sorted out. not worth the risk imo

Bro idk what's up with FC mobile on my phone but it's trippingggggg out. So tough to edit posts

Texus

Continuing trolling for arguments. Warning point issued.
Oh this is a spicy thread... so is the Angus good?? Who has them in stock?? Concept seems really cool.
Depends who you ask. But basically you'll see a cycle of this pattern repeating itself:

Someone like @Shit Snacks weighing in that he finds the flavor "awful" and then I or someone else weighing in that this isn't everyone's opinion and shouldn't be treated as such (while not denying the negative experiences of others I might add). I sure haven't touched my Mighty since the Angus arrived for example.

Then if you are lucky and enjoy fireworks someone like @jasp3r will weigh in with insults aimed at me like the suggestion that I must "have a dull palate and can't taste shit from shinola!" or insinuate that I must be a shill for YLL.

But bottom line: there are some CU changes made by the manufacturer as a result of negative feedback from some users. And it isn't totally clear otherwise why reactions differ so drastically. Best hypotheses being some people being more sensitive to materials being used than others (and there was a great post about that a page or two back). Or there were differences between batches. Or I am a tasteless shill bought out by enticements from YLL or Vgoodiez who probably doesn't know his asshole from a hole in the ground and just gets caught up in the hype train.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Depends who you ask. But basically you'll see a cycle of this pattern repeating itself:

Someone like @Shit Snacks weighing in that he finds the flavor "awful" and then I or someone else weighing in that this isn't everyone's opinion and shouldn't be treated as such (while not denying the negative experiences of others I might add). I sure haven't touched my Mighty since the Angus arrived for example.

Then if you are lucky and enjoy fireworks someone like @jasp3r will weigh in with insults aimed at me like the suggestion that I must "have a dull palate and can't taste shit from shinola!" or insinuate that I must be a shill for YLL.

But bottom line: there are some CU changes made by the manufacturer as a result of negative feedback from some users. And it isn't totally clear otherwise why reactions differ so drastically. Best hypotheses being some people being more sensitive to materials being used than others (and there was a great post about that a page or two back). Or there were differences between batches. Or I am a tasteless shill bought out by enticements from YLL or Vgoodiez who probably doesn't know his asshole from a hole in the ground and just gets caught up in the hype train.
You have been asked to stop trolling for arguments in this thread but you choose to continue so you are now banned from it. I've also given you another warning point so you'll be on a temporary FC break as well.

:peace:

sickmanfraud

Oh this is a spicy thread... so is the Angus good?? Who has them in stock?? Concept seems really cool.

Watch @VGOODIEZ website. As soon as they have the new cooling units in stock they will list the Angus as being in stock.

I have a suggestion for @YLLVAPE OFFICAL perhaps send a new Angus to @Shit Snacks and @jasp3r for evaluation with the understanding that they will return one. That may give us clarity on whether the units that our "super sniffers" (just a joke!! just a joke!!) received or something that we should all be concerned about.

Personally, I like my Angus and use it daily, alongside my TM2.

As I mentioned previously, I would like the haptics made stronger.

I do have a problem believing that YLLvape gave the Angus too much of a beta test before our original 10 ten users got their Angus'.

How else can we explain that the units were shipped with instructions advising an overnight ISO soak when even diluted ISO discolors the cooling unit?

I am also incredulous at the thought that in the 6 weeks since the Angus was available there was a problem discovered with cooling units melting, the reason was found, a new solution was found, the factory re-tooled to change production, the factory made the new parts and the new cooling units were in our members' hands?

Top Bottom