The 510 Dry herb atomizers thread

XpeeN

Let make this thread a place to talk about general 510 DHV concepts: various heater concepts, outer bodies, decks, TCR etc.
I know there are some popular threads about DIY 510s that people tend to talk more general 510 stuff, but I found that all the info is too spread out to be as useful as it can potentially be to other people, so this thread might help with that as well.

Mribisback_

Oh man where to start.

I've made a lot of wooden bodies over the years with just a drill, handsaw, some sandpaper, and an hour or two of free time. No machine shop required

1. Buy dowels instead of square blanks of wood. This will save a lot of time. You may not be able to buy the exact outer diameter you need but you should be able to sand it down pretty easily.

2. Cut the dowel to the length you need. Leave it a couple of mms long so you have a little room for error.

3. Start off drilling the holes smaller than you need. It's hard to get it dead center by hand. This way you have more room for error and corrections when you go back to widen the holes with sandpaper.

4. You need to constantly check everything for fit. You can always make a hole wider, but you can't make it narrower.

5. Once your holes are all the right size, you can go back over everything with the sandpaper to finish it up.

This is obviously a very simplified version of making a body. Some 510 vapes like the impcognito have an o-ring in the inside of the body. The cut you need for the o-ring is very hard to make without a Dremel (which I have) I've made a couple of bodies where the stem is just held in just by friction. It's not ideal, but it works.

Here's a few examples all made using this method. Not as good as something made in a shop, but I have fun doing it and switching things up.

XpeeN

Well done! I'm actually in the process of make a wooden body of my own, but for now I upgraded my current 510 DIY (There's a place for a 810 drip tip on top, so 14mm stems goes right in)
I upgraded the heater to a SS316L 20ga spiral heater, and it works fantastic! kinda dark brown, even AVB after 3 hits. It's actually an overkill for me right now, but I'm using it to convert smoking people to vaping ;)

Mribisback_

Well done! I'm actually in the process of make a wooden body of my own, but for now I upgraded my current 510 DIY (There's a place for a 810 drip tip on top, so 14mm stems goes right in)
I upgraded the heater to a SS316L 20ga spiral heater, and it works fantastic! kinda dark brown, even AVB after 3 hits. It's actually an overkill for me right now, but I'm using it to convert smoking people to vaping ;)
I'm gonna have to try a heater like that.

Here's another design on the impcognito, this one worked okay, not much better than stock.

Also sharing this wooden body I made for the DC2. Made a little magnetic latching lid for it. The hole on top is for a 510 drip tip.

XpeeN

I found that cheap alt rta that should perform like my DIY (didn't try it though). Just put 2 screens and you're set.

Last edited by a moderator:

vappingallnight

Hey Mribisback,

Been following your posts on Reddit, we’ve actually talked there before and ive been saying I would show you my setup. I have one image of my more latest wire configs although no good images of the body I’m using. I drilled a body out of cork and am using the TinyMight glass and cooling units as the stem.

Although I am curious what wire youve had the most sucess with?

I have only purchased 30 gauge SS wire although found it too be too dainty. I started twisting it upon itself to give it more body. In this image its two twisted although the last time I twisted four together which I think had better success. Your images appear to be a thicker gauge. Let me know.

vappingallnight,
Reactions: BigJr48

XpeeN

Hey Mribisback,

Been following your posts on Reddit, we’ve actually talked there before and ive been saying I would show you my setup. I have one image of my more latest wire configs although no good images of the body I’m using. I drilled a body out of cork and am using the TinyMight glass and cooling units as the stem.

Although I am curious what wire youve had the most sucess with?

I have only purchased 30 gauge SS wire although found it too be too dainty. I started twisting it upon itself to give it more body. In this image its two twisted although the last time I twisted four together which I think had better success. Your images appear to be a thicker gauge. Let me know.

I'm using SFC, 28 inner ga and 36 (or 32, I'm not sure lol) outer ga, with my glow. And I'm using plain ss316l 20ga with my diy (mostly spiral coils though, I think I found it too hard to coil). 30ga won't perform well without glowing.

vappingallnight

I'm using SFC, 28 inner ga and 36 (or 32, I'm not sure lol) outer ga, with my glow. And I'm using plain ss316l 20ga with my diy (mostly spiral coils though, I think I found it too hard to coil). 30ga won't perform well without glowing.
Yeah this has been my issue, if I use temp control it doesn’t glow but doesn’t perform well. If I use wattage it glows and performs but you can see from my image that it has residue and seems… unsafe to use a lot. I’ll get some 20gauge solid ss316 and continue testing. Haven’t been using unless I’m messing around because of these reasons.

Mribisback_

Yeah this has been my issue, if I use temp control it doesn’t glow but doesn’t perform well. If I use wattage it glows and performs but you can see from my image that it has residue and seems… unsafe to use a lot. I’ll get some 20gauge solid ss316 and continue testing. Haven’t been using unless I’m messing around because of these reasons.
I go for the thickest gauge available. Harder to make it glow and it vapes more evenly.

Mribisback_,

vappingallnight

Double spiral coil made of one piece of wire. I based it off the MVT heater. Works okay, getting some hot spots.
Hows the performance on all your setups?

Here is my current setup. I forgot I had this SS316L fused wire. Put it on the shelf cause it wasn't getting any significant performance. Just threw it back on since we were talking about thick wire.

I get nothing near good vapor... Its long pulls and very little vapor at the beginning and seemly nothing after that even though its still mostly green.. Unless I jack up the watts to past 40 and get glowing coils and burnt bud. I get more dry mouth than vapor. I do feel a bit of something though so it kinda works but barely worth the time.

Any tips? Looking to get something closer to what Ive

Mribisback_

Hows the performance on all your setups?

Here is my current setup. I forgot I had this SS316L fused wire. Put it on the shelf cause it wasn't getting any significant performance. Just threw it back on since we were talking about thick wire.

I get nothing near good vapor... Its long pulls and very little vapor at the beginning and seemly nothing after that even though its still mostly green.. Unless I jack up the watts to past 40 and get glowing coils and burnt bud. I get more dry mouth than vapor. I do feel a bit of something though so it kinda works but barely worth the time.

Any tips? Looking to get something closer to what Ive
I'm pretty satisfied with performance. I haven't used any of my actual 510s in a while and prefer to mess around with this.

Where are your airflow holes? I feel like you should be getting something even with the basic coils with that wire. Try inhaling more slowly. I'd try a cylinder coil if you have the room.

I'm also wondering how far from the herb the heater is.

Last edited:

vappingallnight

I'm pretty satisfied with performance. I haven't used any of my actual 510s in a while and prefer to mess around with this.

Where are your airflow holes? I feel like you should be getting something even with the basic coils with that wire. Try inhaling more slowly. I'd try a cylinder coil if you have the room.

I'm also wondering how far from the herb the heater is.

Okay you unlocked the secret. My coils were too far away and i changed the air-path.

From my images the first coils sat kinda far away from the screen. In a previous iteration they were too close so I think i was stuck in the mindset. I bought the standard flat coil up just below the screen surface. I still wanna try with two traditional horizontal coils but will have to raise them up or remake a body.

What did you mean "try a clyinder coil if i had the space"? Do you mean one vertical coil instead of the two horizontal side by side ones?

I also restricted the internal air holes and made the external ones bigger. The external hole can be seen at the bottom of the first image.

Something about these two changes worked. I am able to comfortably run it at 30W. It seems like it starts to glow if no air is passing it.

Bonus image they all fit in a shock box I already had. Need to remake in wood for more durability.

Eventually wanna try the SS mesh I have and a smaller design. I think in the end a durable metal body with a 14mm bong option would be ideal.

I got a little higher than expected working on this last night.

Mribisback_

Okay you unlocked the secret. My coils were too far away and i changed the air-path.

From my images the first coils sat kinda far away from the screen. In a previous iteration they were too close so I think i was stuck in the mindset. I bought the standard flat coil up just below the screen surface. I still wanna try with two traditional horizontal coils but will have to raise them up or remake a body.

What did you mean "try a clyinder coil if i had the space"? Do you mean one vertical coil instead of the two horizontal side by side ones?

I also restricted the internal air holes and made the external ones bigger. The external hole can be seen at the bottom of the first image.

Something about these two changes worked. I am able to comfortably run it at 30W. It seems like it starts to glow if no air is passing it.

Bonus image they all fit in a shock box I already had. Need to remake in wood for more durability.

Eventually wanna try the SS mesh I have and a smaller design. I think in the end a durable metal body with a 14mm bong option would be ideal.

I got a little higher than expected working on this last night.

Badass dude. I've been thinking about buying some of those cooling units to mess around with.

Mribisback_,

vappingallnight

Check out this mouthpiece I made
Thats awesome, where did the glass come from? GRAV?

Badass dude. I've been thinking about buying some of those cooling units to mess around with.
I really like the cooling units, I filled it with some of the balls I had leftover from my Pinky build. They are good except more to clean now that I combusted last night.

Last night I was pushing for clouds in a bong and combusted. Shit was nasty. Also went from 30W to 35W cause I wanted to see how I could push it. For bong I will need to get the TM bong attachment w/o cooling units. Although I think the TM glass stem is too big for this (16mm OD), may get a Solo stem to work with since its 9.5mm OD and has "built-in" screen. May even grab a different deck altogether to make a smaller build and leave this as the TM compatible build.

Which do you find works better the flat coil or the vertical cylinder?

Mribisback_

Thats awesome, where did the glass come from? GRAV?

I really like the cooling units, I filled it with some of the balls I had leftover from my Pinky build. They are good except more to clean now that I combusted last night.

Last night I was pushing for clouds in a bong and combusted. Shit was nasty. Also went from 30W to 35W cause I wanted to see how I could push it. For bong I will need to get the TM bong attachment w/o cooling units. Although I think the TM glass stem is too big for this (16mm OD), may get a Solo stem to work with since its 9.5mm OD and has "built-in" screen. May even grab a different deck altogether to make a smaller build and leave this as the TM compatible build.

Which do you find works better the flat coil or the vertical cylinder?
Nah, my friend gave me some joints with these glass tips as mouthpieces.

The Solo 2 glass is about 14.6mm, fyi. Make sure to post that new build when you get it!

The vertical coils have been the easiest to get consistent results with.

Top Bottom