Discontinued Sublimator XLR

PlanetHaze

Don't Vaporize The Planet !, Vaporize Yourself
Retailer
XLd7bll.png

Sublimator XLR 2.0 - Beyond Vaporisation

The HighTimes Amsterdam Trophy Winning Awesome Sublimator is now available as the Sublimator XLR 2.0
New and Improved features guided in development from customer feedback include:
  • XLR connector allowing quick change of different heat injector heads using a single controller
  • Integrated Custom Sublimator electronic control module allows for precise temperature selection every time
  • DabMaster heat injector head allows for larger frequent dabbing with dry herb extraction
  • Apollo heat injector head allows for superior dry herb extraction with dabbing capability
  • E-Nail heat injector head allows for world record heat retention for the largest, smoothest dabs
  • DabMaster, Apollo and E-Nail all available in Titanium
  • 110 - 240 volt compatible power supply
  • Safe low voltage operation
  • Heat shield protection cage (user removable - availability pending)
  • Stainless Steel and Glass base launcher kits - Medical Series

XLR 2.0 Connector Versatility
Easily remove and change different heat injector heads using the same electronic control module. Different heat injector heads can be purchased individually for flexible custom system configuration. As new heat injector heads and add ons become available they will all connect using the XLR connector

Sublimator XLR 2.0 Set Up
New Stainless Steel base launchers can be custom configured by adding different rings, straight ring for plastic tube or glass straight tube, 45mm female joint ring accepts any male 45mm fitting for endless tube choices, add a choke ring for easy carb control

Sublimator Heat Shield (user removable - availability pending)
C9jsV5O.png

Sublimator Heat Injectors Available In Titanium
fD9Ssw6.png

Sublimator XLR 2.0 Adapt-A-Sub and Full Sublimator XLR 2.0 kits available in stores and online

Last edited:

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
Great, the sub looks and safety now seems closer to the OG Cloud, I like it! Looks like every important issue I knew of in the 1.0 has been addressed nicely here.
Now it looks much more like its price fits it.

I still think sub is not for me because I don't like that it also uses a lot of conduction.
Of course that can easily be a PLUS for other people as it gives even more performance, but I like when the bowl can be cooled down after each hit - so a Cloud fits me better.

After how long will the sublimator look like an EVO? :)

Seek,

grokit

well-worn member
Are any retailers in the USA going to be carrying this or just Canada?

grokit,

IIIQBIII

Vape Obsessed
I've been waiting for this thread to be created. :clap: I love the XLR. Its such a great device. I use it as my go to vape now. I posted a few pics in the other thread but I'll take some more pics and maybe some vids to put up here too!

Why is this in thread candidates though? :brow:

Keep on subbin IN.. lol :freak:

NinjaMindTriks

Ninja Vapor Enthusiast
I've been waiting for this thread to be created. :clap: I love the XLR. Its such a great device. I use it as my go to vape now. I posted a few pics in the other thread but I'll take some more pics and maybe some vids to put up here too!

Why is this in thread candidates though? :brow:

Keep on subbin IN.. lol :freak:
I think a mod has to move them out of the thread candidates thread.

PlanetHaze

Retailer
Are any retailers in the USA going to be carrying this or just Canada?
Hi grokit,
Yes, US retailers will be starting to carry Sublimators once they can be produced in higher quantities.

When will planetvape be carrying the new products on the website? Will the heat shield be compatible with the 1.0 units?
Hi CentiZen,
We have had limited stock of XLR 2.0, full stock and product listings will be on our site next week along with some new Sublimator apparel. Not sure if the heat shield will be compatible with the 1.0 units, maybe DabDiva can chime in or we will find out and update this post.

Great, the sub looks and safety now seems closer to the OG Cloud, I like it! Looks like every important issue I knew of in the 1.0 has been addressed nicely here.
Now it looks much more like its price fits it.

I still think sub is not for me because I don't like that it also uses a lot of conduction.
Of course that can easily be a PLUS for other people as it gives even more performance, but I like when the bowl can be cooled down after each hit...
Hi Seek,
The Sub can be used as almost 100% convection. Once your Apollo and atomizer reach thermal equilibrium, you can then drop your screen in which is cool and then drop your 0.1 gram of dried herbs on to the cool screen. Place the Apollo back on top and take your hit, almost 100% convection! No need for the bowl to cool because your load has just been fully extracted, dump it and reload in 5 seconds.
PV

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
Hi Seek,
The Sub can be used as almost 100% convection. Once your Apollo and atomizer reach thermal equilibrium, you can then drop your screen in which is cool and then drop your 0.1 gram of dried herbs on to the cool screen. Place the Apollo back on top and take your hit, almost 100% convection! No need for the bowl to cool because your load has just been fully extracted, dump it and reload in 5 seconds.
PV
This is not exactly what I want. I expect this could be tastier (cloud owners also report better taste when the unit is not saturated with heat so there is less conduction) but I have nothing against extra performance.
What I want from my vape is to keep a bowl cool when I'm not hitting it. If I do that with the sub, it doesn't solve this problem, it just takes conduction out from the hit. I want no conduction when the unit is loaded and not being pulled from.

The Sub doesn't do this by design, that's why I am a Cloud guy, as the ELB haets up during the pull, there is both convection and convection-derived conduction. After a hit that conduction also stops. And taking the ELb out easily cools it down immediately for later use. Of course sub is a completely different beast. I know it's meant to be loaded with small ammount that can be vaped in one single hit so there would be no need to cool it down for reuse.
Hovewer I've never seen a vid, where the load was 100% vaped in just one hit. Yes, mostly vaped, but not 100%, it is still giving vapor at th end of the hit.

That loose screen is still there? I think that makes dumping and reloading herbs much more hassle that it should be. Especially when its meant to be loaded ofter with small one-hit ammounts.

EDIT:
In other words what I want from my desktop vape performance-wise:
1) Temp control obviously, precision is welcome
2) Conduction when hitting
3) No conduction when standby
4) Convection! Good heat retention is welcome.

For example I rate PAMFLB like this on these three lines: "1) 1/5, 2) 5/5, 3) 5/5, 3) 0/5"
My EQ: "1) 3/5, 2) 1/5, 3) 2/5, 4) 3/5"
My Cloud had a very good rating here: "1) 4/5, 2) 4/5, 3) 4/5, 4) 5/5"

I haven't experienced the sub, but this is what I think it would rate like:
"1) 3/5, 2) 5/5, 3) 1/5, 4) 5/5" - this is still an excellent performance, just not for me.

The best rating would be all fives and I think there is no vape that rates like this.
And of course this is only performance rating by my opinion, other would rate different things with different numbers. I'm not talking about ergonomics, taste, delivery or whatever.

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
It seems weird that the heat shield doesn't cover the upper curved part of the wire shaft on top of the apollo. I know that's where I as well as others have burned myself, sometimes repeatedly.
It sure looks cool though!
:tup:

stickstones

Vapor concierge
@Seek -- it sounds like you may be missing the point as to how the Sub is to be used. If you do it the way PV stated, I can see that working like he says. But I can get a load fully spent in one hit easily...I usually do a weak second hit just because I am anal that way. If the temp is on the low side my abv will be a light tan that can be used later. If I use a high temp that abv is as dark brown as I want it to be and ready for the trash. The only vapes that would rate well on your third criteria are ones like the LSV, which remove the heater from the bowl when not in use, and an herbalizer, which reaches temp almost immediately. Both the Sub and the Cloud will cook a load that is left in the device, which would be user error for both devices.

Don't get me wrong, the Sub is a conduction and radiation beast, but like most vapes, usage habits can be tweaked to get different results. I think we are only in the beginning stages of what this vape can do and become.

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
@Seek -- it sounds like you may be missing the point as to how the Sub is to be used. If you do it the way PV stated, I can see that working like he says. But I can get a load fully spent in one hit easily...
I didn't miss that, I know it's supposed to be used differently than Cloud - of course they are very different vapes.
If the sub is build to perform well at one-hitting, there will be a lot of reloading happening if you want to vape a lot or in group etc. And that's not really as friendly as ELB system.
The cloud can do one-hitting too, but it is also possible to load a lot a get a lot of hits - taking the ELB out in between. IMO sub just can't beat the ELB system in ease of use.
I don't think this can be done as easily with the sub.
I usually do a weak second hit just because I am anal that way.
Me too, and I dislike when the load is not finished and its cooking between hits.
The only vapes that would rate well on your third criteria are ones like the LSV, which remove the heater from the bowl when not in use, and an herbalizer, which reaches temp almost immediately.Both the Sub and the Cloud will cook a load that is left in the device, which would be user error for both devices.
I am also counting the possibility to take out the ELB between hits with ease. That's what makes Cloud high rated on 3rd criteria. Also the ELb cools down somewhat quite fast even when left in the unit. But that is imo not very significant, i think on the EQ level. The sub is a huge piece of hot metal and your herbs are in the center of it all, always getting powerful conduction heat.
And I think when you are taking out the ELB between hits, the 3rd criteria is even better than with LSV etc. Because the ELB has almost no thermal capacity so it cools down withing seconds.
A glass bowl keeps its temp for minutes.
The herbalizer bowl seems to me very similar to Volcano easy valve bowl. And from my experience that bowl can hold a lot of heat, so that's not very good on the 4rd criteria either.

Seek,
Reactions: grokit

Darb

With my sub set up I could vape 4-5 one hit loads in the length of time it takes me to remove an elb, brush it out and repack. Not saying one is better than the other just that the sub is way quicker and much easier for me.

Darb,
Reactions: duval

PlanetHaze

Retailer
@Seek -- it sounds like you may be missing the point as to how the Sub is to be used. If you do it the way PV stated, I can see that working like he says. But I can get a load fully spent in one hit easily...I usually do a weak second hit just because I am anal that way. If the temp is on the low side my abv will be a light tan that can be used later. If I use a high temp that abv is as dark brown as I want it to be and ready for the trash. The only vapes that would rate well on your third criteria are ones like the LSV, which remove the heater from the bowl when not in use, and an herbalizer, which reaches temp almost immediately. Both the Sub and the Cloud will cook a load that is left in the device, which would be user error for both devices.

Don't get me wrong, the Sub is a conduction and radiation beast, but like most vapes, usage habits can be tweaked to get different results. I think we are only in the beginning stages of what this vape can do and become.
I didn't miss that, I know it's supposed to be used differently than Cloud - of course they are very different vapes.
If the sub is build to perform well at one-hitting, there will be a lot of reloading happening if you want to vape a lot or in group etc. And that's not really as friendly as ELB system.
The cloud can do one-hitting too, but it is also possible to load a lot a get a lot of hits - taking the ELB out in between. IMO sub just can't beat the ELB system in ease of use.
Seek, the ELB is way more work than dumping and re loading the Sub. No comparison for loading and unloading, don't think any vape is faster and easier than the Sub when it comes to loading and unloading the bowl. stickstones is correct, you are missing the point here, the Sub finishes 0.1 load in one hit, no need to keep the bowl cool. Screen is users choice, lock it in or leave it loose, we gave you an example of how to use it but there are many ways which each user can tailor to their own needs.

The sub is a huge piece of hot metal and your herbs are in the center of it all, always getting powerful conduction heat....Because the ELB has almost no thermal capacity so it cools down withing seconds.

Think your definition of conduction needs a correct definition http://www.edinformatics.com/math_science/how_is_heat_transferred.htm

"How is heat transferred?

Heat can travel from one place to another in three ways: Conduction, Convection and Radiation. Both conduction and convection require matter to transfer heat.

If there is a temperature difference between two systems heat will always find a way to transfer from the higher to lower system.

CONDUCTION--

Conduction is the transfer of heat between substances that are in direct contact with each other. The better the conductor, the more rapidly heat will be transferred. Metal is a good conduction of heat. Conduction occurs when a substance is heated, particles will gain more energy, and vibrate more. These molecules then bump into nearby particles and transfer some of their energy to them. This then continues and passes the energy from the hot end down to the colder end of the substance.

CONVECTION--

Thermal energy is transferred from hot places to cold places by convection. Convection occurs when warmer areas of a liquid or gas rise to cooler areas in the liquid or gas. Cooler liquid or gas then takes the place of the warmer areas which have risen higher. This results in a continous circulation pattern. Water boiling in a pan is a good example of these convection currents. Another good example of convection is in the atmosphere. The earth's surface is warmed by the sun, the warm air rises and cool air moves in.

RADIATION--

Radiation is a method of heat transfer that does not rely upon any contact between the heat source and the heated object as is the case with conduction and convection. Heat can be transmitted though empty space by thermal radiation often called infrared radiation. This is a type electromagnetic radiation . No mass is exchanged and no medium is required in the process of radiation. Examples of radiation is the heat from the sun, or heat released from the filament of a light bulb."

The ELB definitely uses conduction idle or pulling, your herbs are in direct contact with heat. Your herbs in the Sub don't make direct contact with anything but the cool screen and maybe some outer edges if your load is touching the sidewall. The Sub excels because of its massive thermal radiating mass combined with a convection stream of vortexed super heated saturated air stream. Those little glands on your herbs give up their goods instantly in the Sub in an explosion of vapor.

PlanetHaze

Retailer
@PlanetVape ,
Has there been any discussion of price point? Sorry it always has to come to this.. TIA. :tup:
Prices are already listed at Sublimator.ca, ours will be very similar.

@PlanetVape are you going to be offering the trade in for our sub 1.0 units purchased through you? How much will it be if you do? TIA
Hi NinjaMindTriks, Sublimator.ca is doing all the upgrades factory direct, it doesn't matter where you bought your v1.0 Sub. The upgrade plans are listed here: http://www.sublimator.ca/category.php?id_category=5 only requirement is a proof of purchase.

Upgrades from v1.0 Subs to XLR 2.0 Subs are in effect until May 31, 2014 only.

IIIQBIII

Vape Obsessed
No comparison for loading and unloading, don't think any vape is faster and easier than the Sub when it comes to loading and unloading the bowl.

EXACTLY. This is a big deal to me. a HUGE deal. I have people at my house all the time. I usually do all the loading and unloading for friends because of my full understanding of all my vapes functions (and dangers)

There is nothing more annoying than having to do tedious work right after enjoying a good hit. :disgust:

The ease at which I am able to reload the Sub and prepare it for a buddy is so quick and easy, so it has naturally taken a spot as my daily driver. Not to mention where else can you do a dab and flowers at the same time.. :freak:

Last edited:

Monsoon

I find it works great in a group and most people only need one hit/bowl and they're good for awhile. You can reload pretty quickly, I usually do 3-5 hits in a row when I sesh and I can complete it within a couple minutes. I usually assist my new people when they try it but most seem to catch on after a couple hits.

Monsoon,
Reactions: Liberty

CG420

Over the horizon u can see the edges of the Earth
Yeah I agree on the reload part. My friends say it is okay because it makes for a conversation during the time you load and unload. But I disagree because the thing can be a PITA when dumping out. I realize I have to scrap constantly on the sides so that crumbs and ABV don't get into the atomizer's barrel (those crumbs sometimes becomes hash so I collect it at times.) I wish Enrico would eventually consider creating a bowl that would make dumping and reloading a breeze. Maybe something along the lines of the VB's Baker Ti bowl except small enough to fit inside the atomizer. It should have the screen embedded into it so that all we have to do is rinse/clean when it gets build up of gunk. Would be nice to just buy a bowl rather than screens. I dislike the fact that I can't find a perfect sized screen for my bottom ledge and it wasn't included in my purchase of the 1.0 Sub. They should give two different size of screens and two spares just in case of accidental loss. :2c::peace:

CG420,
Reactions: grokit

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
The ELB definitely uses conduction idle or pulling, your herbs are in direct contact with heat. Your herbs in the Sub don't make direct contact with anything but the cool screen and maybe some outer edges if your load is touching the sidewall.

While I agree that some conduction is going on with a loaded ELB, I would contend that it is minimal. I often load ELBs that stay in the unit for hours at a time between hits. I have not noticed any loss of actives, and any leakage due to conduction is negligible. Contrast this with tossing herb into a heated Sub and watching the wisps of vapor immediately escape due to the high heat environment of the atomizer/screen (sorry, but the screen is anything but cool).

With the sublimator I would never leave a load unattended in the chamber as I do with the Cloud's ELB system. The sub would cook the load quickly, while the ELB remains viable for hours on end since it is separated from the heat source. :2c:

:peace:

Top Bottom