Sticky Brick Labs Vaporizer

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
I recall your prior posts and that's what I don't get: the main reason I don't use my og Brick more often is because it's such a beast.

I have a pax scoop (which is too curved for me to recommend for much of anything, honestly) and I can put anywhere from one to four scoops in there and just crush it in three or four hits.

The abv from my Brick is always that obviously cached dark brown, not vapcap coffee black but as dark a brown as you'd shoot for from any convection vape. And with the enormous mouthpiece you get plenty of instant feedback on the extraction as you watch the glass milk up.

If I was being surveyed and the question was "How much does the restrictor disk hold you back from rapid, full extraction?" my answer would be "I think it's doing the opposite of holding me back and I never got such dark, even abv without it." It makes me wonder what's going on with yours. You got a Runt was it? Perplexing to be sure.

posting from my phone so bear with me

yeah so I have a runt. I’ve been doing 2-3 scoops using a delta3d scoop, this is consistently about how dark I get it. Hard to really compare it via pic, but in my limited experience it seems on the lighter side. Once I get to this point I can hold the torch there for as long as I can inhale, and get no further. When I took this pic like last week, I think I did end up getting one more wispy little tiny bit from it.

8-C8-DC405-EBEB-4928-8-F69-59853949-D37-C.jpg

4817-DD99-3-E32-4200-944-A-8-C4-ECF1131-FC.jpg

46865-F42-E880-4-FAB-BD72-A9210-DB6-DAF6.jpg

@BrianTL Blanton's is a classic and one of my favorites. There was a time I had bottles until John Wick 2 came out and you couldn't buy it anywhere. I always thought I had great attention to detail but never noticed the tops were all different and wish I had kept all of mine. Bookers is a favorite of mine too. I have too many bourbon bottles that I don't even remember by name building my collection. As bourbon became a hipster thing, I went back to my scotches.

Combusting really sucks as you keep tasting, but I think with a wipe down, maybe the glass parts, that taste will eventually go away.

Last night, I thought I'd try and do the Sticky Brick train. I went Runt, Flip, Junior, OG. I ended up getting a Maxx. Do I need a Hydro too?

It was interesting as each piece behaved differently. Runt was the easiest of them all. The intake on the Flip is a bit bigger than the Runt and Junior. I realized all of my pieces were Rock Maple except my Junior. That bummed me out, and got me to go find one in the matching wood.

The OG was something else. I was expecting bang and heat, but it was so cool for the whole session.

Unfortunately, I couldn't do anymore after 4 in a row. Try again with the Maxx next down moment I have.

I have yet to tinker with the restrictor discs. Afraid to and ruin something.

that’s funny, I didn’t even know Blantons was involved in John wick 2 at all. But yeah I love the caps they’re great touches - also a big horse racing fan so it makes it even cooler to me.

bookers is good! There’s a few I actually really enjoy, basil heydens for the price, you can’t beat it. They make a great Rye also. Hipsters ruin everything!

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
yeah, that’s what I mean lol. I gotta be doing something wrong. Either that, or the torch sucks
lol, I didn't even want to say that as my response: I was trying to post that abv pic and having some weird browser behavior with the editor and typed that word in frustration just to effectively delete everything and start over

bossman,
  • Haha
Reactions: BrianTL

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
lol, I didn't even want to say that as my response: I was trying to post that abv pic and having some weird browser behavior with the editor and typed that word in frustration just to effectively delete everything and start over

That’s hilarious... I was like oh wow based on that reaction I’m really fucking something up!

ETA: Update: just opened up the runt to clean after combusting. I was looking for the disc this morning...found it...in the brick where it belongs. I must have put it back after I combusted lol. Don’t remember that.

don’t drink and brick

Cervical CBD

Unfortunately the torch and butane issues are killing my experience. I purged the lighter and it still sprays everywhere if I push too hard filling it and it barely fills the torch for 2 hits. The torch gets super cold and butane leaks all over it.

Cervical CBD,
Reactions: shopdognyc

shopdognyc

That’s hilarious... I was like oh wow based on that reaction I’m really fucking something up!

ETA: Update: just opened up the runt to clean after combusting. I was looking for the disc this morning...found it...in the brick where it belongs. I must have put it back after I combusted lol. Don’t remember that.

don’t drink and brick
That’s the best story. We are geniuses while on the sauce.

move found that when I am a bit short on the vapes I cook it longer and get somw. Changing the angle I point the flame changes the vapor.

which angle do you point?

you are over in westchester?

Unfortunately the torch and butane issues are killing my experience. I purged the lighter and it still sprays everywhere if I push too hard filling it and it barely fills the torch for 2 hits. The torch gets super cold and butane leaks all over it.
Maybe try a different brand of butane?

I got a Maxx this week and came with the eagle and not the honest. Haven’t tried yet.

sorry man you struggling. I am just using up random cans I’ve had collected. Current is rosignol and probably not rated great.

@Cervical CBD are you in the states?

Cervical CBD

move found that when I am a bit short on the vapes I cook it longer and get somw. Changing the angle I point the flame changes the vapor.

I got a Maxx this week and came with the eagle and not the honest. Haven’t tried yet.

sorry man you struggling. I am just using up random cans I’ve had collected. Current is rosignol and probably not rated great.

Yes I’m in South Dakota

Cervical CBD,

Cervical CBD

not sure if it will help but I’d be happy to send you an honest torch if you think it will help.

I appreciate the offer but I’ll go buy a different can of butane and see. it seems to spray on the Eagle torch as well and it never used to. It doesn’t spray on my jetlite and doesn’t really fill it much either. There was a small black piece on the tip of the can that fell off and maybe that’s why it doesn’t work.

shopdognyc

I appreciate the offer but I’ll go buy a different can of butane and see. it seems to spray on the Eagle torch as well and it never used to. It doesn’t spray on my jetlite and doesn’t really fill it much either. There was a small black piece on the tip of the can that fell off and maybe that’s why it doesn’t work.
I got so many that are new and unused would be willing to help a bud out

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
There was a small black piece on the tip of the can that fell off and maybe that’s why it doesn’t work.
Thats why its not filling properly.... most butane's like Neon 11X have a bunch of little plastic adaptors in the plastic top .... you have to try them one by one to fine the one that fits your lighter

Cervical CBD

Thats why its not filling properly.... most butane's like Neon 11X have a bunch of little plastic adaptors in the plastic top .... you have to try them one by one to fine the one that fits your lighter

ok pretty sure this came with only 1 and it fell on the shag carpet in my vape room. Ill go grab a new can of butane...thank you.

Cervical CBD,
Reactions: Vapor_Eyes

Cervical CBD

Yeah. I have two restrictor disks, and I've never liked using them. I have more control over the hit without them.

Bought a new can of Vector that came with quite a few tips and that was it. The large 600ml can didn’t come with anything like this. The shop I tried it quite a bit cheaper as well. $8.99 for a 447ml vs $16.99 for a 600ml of the same 14x Vector.

shopdognyc

Think discovered a nuance for me. Been on the Junior trying to learn on that. Up until now I was worried over angling up or down. I’ve also tried moving the torch in circles.

then, just show it straight in close and parallel to the bottom part of the intake and got an explosion of clouds.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY

Think discovered a nuance for me. Been on the Junior trying to learn on that. Up until now I was worried over angling up or down. I’ve also tried moving the torch in circles.

then, just show it straight in close and parallel to the bottom part of the intake and got an explosion of clouds.

Yeah I'm over in Westchester, just outside of White Plains if you know the area.

I tend to stick with a shallow down angle, sometimes going straight in. I've tried little circles with the torch, tried a bunch lol.

I did get a new torch which seems to be helping. Ordered it off of amazon, another member posted it in here a few pages back. Only got to use it for the first time yesterday, so far seems to be an improvement over the Eagle that showed up with the runt. I had wondered what the "safe stop" on the eagle meant, but I'm pretty sure that means it immediately cuts off the jet when you release the trigger. The new lighter burns for a second or two after release it seems.

But yeah, I'm thinking the Eagle torch may have been the issue. The flame on this one is much bigger, still a single jet, but noticeable difference in flame size. I had actually turned it down a bit to start because it was that much bigger than the Eagle on max size. It seems to be getting more heat to the bud and getting better extraction. Final bits were tough to get what I consider a satisfactory extract, but maybe I need to bump the flame to the max setting on this one too.

shopdognyc

@BrianTL I am not sure if I am efficiently extracting. There are times when I think its dead but discovered this weekend if I hold the flame a bit longer it kicks up again. A stir helps and can see still a lot to go. If I do too many in a row, I get a black spot combusting, and you can taste it. Oddly the taste doesn't come until I stop drawing.

If I pause in between draws, takes longer again to heat up.

Glad you are getting better progress. I like the Junior, but had more success with the Runt and Flip so far. Did a few on the OG and its weird. Guess makes sense bc larger but expecting a BOOM but never happens. They are experimenting with a bent intake which I got. Prefer much bc combust less with it.

Saw an interesting diagram somewhere, kicking myself for not saving it. Angling up makes a hotter flame and down a cooler flame. Or is it the other way? Anyone can clarify?

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
@BrianTL I am not sure if I am efficiently extracting. There are times when I think its dead but discovered this weekend if I hold the flame a bit longer it kicks up again. A stir helps and can see still a lot to go. If I do too many in a row, I get a black spot combusting, and you can taste it. Oddly the taste doesn't come until I stop drawing.

If I pause in between draws, takes longer again to heat up.

Glad you are getting better progress. I like the Junior, but had more success with the Runt and Flip so far. Did a few on the OG and its weird. Guess makes sense bc larger but expecting a BOOM but never happens. They are experimenting with a bent intake which I got. Prefer much bc combust less with it.

Saw an interesting diagram somewhere, kicking myself for not saving it. Angling up makes a hotter flame and down a cooler flame. Or is it the other way? Anyone can clarify?

Pretty much same here, although I've rarely approached a black spot despite my best efforts, besides that one time I tried without the disk. I had the high-dea to switch to the other disk they shipped it with, visiaully they look identical, but who knows lol. I'm sure they're both exactly the same so its probably not even going to change anything. I stir after every 2 hits on average cause like you, that first pull seems to preheat a good amount and makes for a better second pull.

Just based on my own experience I seem to have better luck with a slight down angle than an up angle. But who knows?

shopdognyc

Pretty much same here, although I've rarely approached a black spot despite my best efforts, besides that one time I tried without the disk. I had the high-dea to switch to the other disk they shipped it with, visiaully they look identical, but who knows lol. I'm sure they're both exactly the same so its probably not even going to change anything. I stir after every 2 hits on average cause like you, that first pull seems to preheat a good amount and makes for a better second pull.

Just based on my own experience I seem to have better luck with a slight down angle than an up angle. But who knows?

The down angle worked for me. The upper angle I would see less vapor. Also, just not moving around too much I would see a surge of vapor.

The thing this weekend was I shot it straight and parallel with the bottom of the bent intake steady. I let the flame basically kiss the side. This was the best so far for me.

It is also deceptive too because with a big bowl, you may think you are done. If you check the color, it has a lot to go. Getting too eager sometimes disappoints bc you need to go just a bit longer.

Even when I think I didn't get enough clouds, repeated efforts add up and I'm off to bed! haha.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
The down angle worked for me. The upper angle I would see less vapor. Also, just not moving around too much I would see a surge of vapor.

The thing this weekend was I shot it straight and parallel with the bottom of the bent intake steady. I let the flame basically kiss the side. This was the best so far for me.

It is also deceptive too because with a big bowl, you may think you are done. If you check the color, it has a lot to go. Getting too eager sometimes disappoints bc you need to go just a bit longer.

Even when I think I didn't get enough clouds, repeated efforts add up and I'm off to bed! haha.

Yup - when it works it works, and a big bowl you think you're ripping on for a while and blow out pretty big clouds...but its still basically green when you check it. Love that!

So good news, that other lighter I got seems to be helping. I saw it on here a few pages back and it was 5 bucks on amazon so I was like fuck it, cant hurt... anyway it puts out a lot more heat I think than the included Eagle torch. I had tried it originally on Sunday, I thought it was better than the Eagle then, but still having extraction issues. Cranked it up yesterday and couldn't get it to maintain a flame, it would ignite for a few seconds and poof out. Started dialing it in backing off of the flame size until I could get it to maintain a flame, and that seems to have done the trick. I finished a bowl I had left over from last night, taking the bud to all the way to black which was a lot easier than it has been, and loaded another.

I also did a little experiment. I started with the lighter no where near the intake. Got a slow inhale going and slowly brought the lighter into range, moving it around, changing angle, looking for that "sound." Once I started to find it I was able to dial it in a little bit better and bring the flame closer to increase production. I actually discovered this little exercise by accident, because the lighter was sputtering and spewing butane so I wanted to make sure it would keep a flame first before I inhale straight butane, but it ended up being a LOT easier for me to get vapor going doing it that way as opposed to starting with the tip of the flame at the mouth of the intake.

Rode that bowl out for the rest of the night and again, took it darker than I ever have before (intentionally). Tried to ride right up to combustion, which I believe I did. Last couple hits were a little more difficult to get the right amount of heat to the bowl but I did manage. Although personal preference I think I in the future I think I would probably stop maybe 2 hits earlier. Pretty happy though I was able to get to that point in a controlled way. Not sure if the difference was the lighter or that new technique I found, but I'm gonna try to use the original torch in the same way and see how that goes.

ETA: flower from last nights bowl, best to date I would say. Included the wood pick as a color reference. So hard to get good color representation in pics.,,I still think I got one or two little hits out of this after the pic...don’t remember lol I was trying to put myself to bed.

8-C4-EF19-C-2-D91-4702-AED0-2-C8-ADA3-AA416.jpg

Last edited:

shopdognyc

2 hits is about good for me too before I combust. I can go more as long as I stir. Holding the flame in one spot too long, I combust you can taste it, but its only like a spot. Exciting news man.

shopdognyc,
Reactions: BrianTL

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
So I've decided that the included Eagle torch that came with my runt is complete junk. Switching to this other torch I grabbed on amazon has made my brick so much easier and less frustrating to use, especially for the higher temp pulls. It gets vapor going quickly and without too much over-thinking from the user. Once I felt like I had the new torch down a bit I went back to the Eagle, and was surprised how small the flame seems in comparison, and how little heat it seemed that I was getting to the flower.

Still having a TOUCH of trouble coming back to a 50-75% roasted bowl the following day, not sure if it dries out/loosens up after X amount of hours and its harder to vape, but idk. I dont do it often, maybe like twice I left a bowl un finished for a day, but didnt have much luck with it.

Either way. If anybody else is having trouble with the Eagle torch, I would ditch it and find something that puts off more heat. Maybe I just got a faulty one, I wouldn't think SBL would be shipping torches that under-deliver. Granted they usually ship honest torches...

Eventually I'll get a nice one... anybody have a favorite torch? Heard good things about the Blazer PB 207. Looking for a nice one...maybe triple flame? Or is that over kill?

Top Bottom