• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Gear Slug .33 Rosin Forge

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
Have you increased your heat time? Moisture is huge point.
Yeah, the heat time was 1:30 for that press. The rosin that I got was great, super stable almost like shatter. Just not lots of it.

I had stuck a 62% boveda in with my buds, but... I dunno. They still feel super dry. Not sure why they aren’t sucking up moisture from the boveda. If someone had messed up the cure earlier, will they not accept moisture now? Assumed I could rehydrate regardless.

I have a different strain where the buds are much more squishy. I’ll try a press with that soon.

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
What I do to add moisture herb the is dry is to put it into a gallon zip lock bag, suck all the air out, and
re-breath moisture into the buds for a day or two. Seems to help add moisture.

My slugs seem to like it.
Oh yeah? Just moisture from my breath? Huh. I’ll give it a shot!

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
yes. rehydration is not a problem at any stage from my experience. Toss a moist piece of paper towel in for a few hours or as you feel needed. This always works for me. The moisture must be it or it could be just one of those cultivars that just dont squeeze well.

Nattybushdoctor,
Reactions: tfrank

anasrzi

Quick question can you use a Irwin clamp with the an original .33, Deuce or Fat Mac? I'm aware were adding heat and the Irwin clamp has plastic parts but it wouldn't be to hard to lay some metal sheeting or even foil of some kind over those plates to press?

Wondering more so about the pressure required as the clamp is rated for 6000lbs of hand pressing?

anasrzi,

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
Quick question can you use a Irwin clamp with the an original .33, Deuce or Fat Mac? I'm aware were adding heat and the Irwin clamp has plastic parts but it wouldn't be to hard to lay some metal sheeting or even foil of some kind over those plates to press?

Wondering more so about the pressure required as the clamp is rated for 6000lbs of hand pressing?

I use a $20 Irwin vise I got from Lowe's to squeeze mine, so it certainly works. That Wilton vise is just big and hefty, plus it looks like it has a good turn-handle on it so you don't have to do crazy shit with the handle on a smaller vise like the Irwin in order to not tear your hand up tightening down. I have a pretty big magnet I use as the base of my Forge now, it's like a 3x3x1.5 or something like that. I set it in there wide-side up and it's plenty big for the original Slug .33. I imagine I could use a Deuce with it as well, which is probably gonna be my next purchase just so I can do more of it at once lol.

https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-Drill-..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=XQ81D0BYXDP96PTPN0M6

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
Tried squishing 3 more times, 1st two with an indica and last one with a sativa. 1st press 1:30 heat time had a blow out. 2nd press 2 minute heat time rosin came out the back and long thin drip out the front, but no blow out. 3rd press 1:45 heat time nice drip with no blowout.

All three presses: 10% each.

I don’t even need to hit 30%, 20% would be fine. It’s like chasing a unicorn! Lol.

Can’t say I’m not having fun though. I actually enjoy pressing so much I may grab another slug so I don’t have to wait so long in between presses.

Last edited:

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
As far as getting humidity into your buds on the cheap and quick, @biohacker was kind enough to share his method some months back. As you can see, humidity greatly affects the quality and quantity of your rosin.

Humidity for Rosin

I believe the hydration process via steam took 15 seconds.

The technique is listed further up in that thread. Enjoy your pressing =)

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
When I was a kid I knew this guy who was the town stereo nut. He had all the latest gear. One day he told me that if I really want to see how something works you need to turn the dial all the way down, and all the way up. I never forgot his advice and have used it throughout my life and sometimes on accident.

:myday:

Love this. More experimentation it is!

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
Tried squishing 3 more times, 1st two with an indica and last one with a sativa. 1st press 1:30 heat time had a blow out. 2nd press 2 minute heat time rosin came out the back and long thin drip out the front, but no blow out. 3rd press 1:45 heat time nice drip with no blowout.

All three presses: 10% each.

I don’t even need to hit 30%, 20% would be fine. It’s like chasing a unicorn! Lol.

Can’t say I’m not having fun though. I actually enjoy pressing so much I may grab another slug so I don’t have to wait so long in between presses.

1) Blowout means too much bud in there. 1.0grams is the max for the original Slug .33

2) Rosin coming out of the back means you heated it too much, if you see that, stop heating and carry on.

3) This one sounds pretty good. If you're still getting 10% or so return, I'd maybe look into the moisture of your buds before you press.

Natty has several videos up on youtube going over different things, would definitely recommend watching those a time or three to see what all you're doing different :)

I think this is the link to his page...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzuCF3cVxav67LEIneV8tjA

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
1) Blowout means too much bud in there. 1.0grams is the max for the original Slug .33

2) Rosin coming out of the back means you heated it too much, if you see that, stop heating and carry on.

3) This one sounds pretty good. If you're still getting 10% or so return, I'd maybe look into the moisture of your buds before you press.

Natty has several videos up on youtube going over different things, would definitely recommend watching those a time or three to see what all you're doing different :)

I think this is the link to his page...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzuCF3cVxav67LEIneV8tjA
Thanks for the help!

All three attempts were exactly 1.0 grams.

This time I tried having the spacer against the back, so I couldn’t see the rosin coming out. I’ll probably go back to trying having the spacer against the front.

I’m definitely going to try a significant amount of more moisture. I had a 62% boveda pack in a baggy with the material for several days, but the buds still seemed dry and crumbly. No idea why.

I’ve watched all of the slug .33 (and the deuce, and fat Mac, and... I forget the name of the giant thing) multiple times trying to trouble shoot. As you saw from my picture, I’m getting nice stuff, just not much of it.

Last edited:

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
@-dab8- Could just be that what you're trying to squeeze doesn't give a good rosin output, but if you had it in with the boveda beforehand, and it was still a bit dry, you may want to look into some other ways of rehydrating your bud. Also, this:

As far as getting humidity into your buds on the cheap and quick, @biohacker was kind enough to share his method some months back. As you can see, humidity greatly affects the quality and quantity of your rosin.

Humidity for Rosin

I believe the hydration process via steam took 15 seconds.

The technique is listed further up in that thread. Enjoy your pressing =)

Ibn Vapin,

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
@-dab8- Could just be that what you're trying to squeeze doesn't give a good rosin output, but if you had it in with the boveda beforehand, and it was still a bit dry, you may want to look into some other ways of rehydrating your bud. Also, this:
Yeah, I’m going to try getting the buds pretty darn... damp? Lol. That’s the only thing I can really figure since I’ve tried two different strains. I can post a picture of my starting material if that’s allowed?

Still so weird to me the buds were dry and crumbling after a week with the 62% boveda. Isn’t that supposed to be what they do?

-dab8-,

scion34

1 gram presses of fresh sugar trim and popcorn, 4 days since harvest at 1:25 heat time with propane - Delicious! Finally getting a hang of the slug after 7 or so pressings, my first few weren't nearly as impressive! I do wish it dabbed a bit cleaner on the nail however.. don't know if I'm sold on the claim that filters aren't needed, more testing required! :brow::science:

ZYMmkLW.jpg

Roth

Pining for the Mountains
Good luck @Roth just imitate Natty's videos and you will be goolden. :nod:

Oh believe me, I've been pouring over those videos!

I know bags/filters aren't required, but has anyone tried experimenting with them? If there was some way to keep that little bit of herb of the parchment paper, I'd love it. I imagine it would make it easier to collect all the rosin without accidentally grabbing some left over herb.

I do have some super fine stainless steel mesh at the house (maybe 50u if memory serves?), might see what I can come up with once I get my procedure down.

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
Man we need an 'omfg' button so I can properly tag @scion34 's post with it lol. That top squish looks tasty as hell. The squishes I've done haven't needed to be filtered either, but I also don't have a nail or banger to dab out of just yet, been stuck with having to use my Vicod. Dollar been tight around here last few weeks :(

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
I have some fine stainless steel mesh and was just imagining looking at all that goo stuck in the stainless steel screen filter with every single run. No thanks, I will take it unfiltered like my honey.

:buzz:

I've been thinking about it while I sit here high trying to calm down from the dog biting me(I'm not hurt, just scratched the skin a bit), and I think the only way it could work at all is if it sat perfectly inside the little hollow on the bottom end so that when you get in close and the chamber retracts slightly before going in and loosing all the goodness. I feel like that'd be a nightmare to try to do, though, unless maybe you'd pre-pack a bag or something and then somehow squish it with a Forge.

:sherlock::spliff:

Ibn Vapin,

tfrank

So i got my slug 33 in the mail today and of course i had to try it out. My first 2 runs were as i expected they were gonna be... pretty poor. First one was a 7% run and my second i couldn't even get a dab off of. Needless to say i can 100% account this as user error. But i want to get it right next go around. So inc. lots of questions.

Moisture:
I saw @steama mentioning steaming the herbs before a run?? sounds intriguing how exactly is this done? Do you use a steam tool of some sort or a double boiler for broccoli? When you steam them do you leave the buds whole or finger break them a little bit? How long would you steam one gram of weed with said method.

Slug packing techniques:
When using the slug i know the videos show just pulling apart the herb and packing it in but im curious to know other techniques people have tried. I see it can work with kief so how about ground herb? Has anyone tried pre pressing with the slug and then heating for the last bit? Maybe packing the inside ring a bit to avoid blowout and a get a better press maybe?

thanks in advance for any replies:tup::science:

tfrank,

tfrank

Get your herbs a little more moist than you would get them ready for vaping but not much more. Do not over do the moisture. Just enough so that the buds are squishy and not crumbly/desiccated and desert dry.

Too much moisture can be as bad as too little. Also buds loaded with resin need a little less moisture to get the rosin to really flow. Quality begets quality.

Anyway this has been my short experience with the slug

I have done one other thing to make everything work better. I have standardized everything on the deuce. One reason for this is my usage amount, I need no more than two deuce runs.

The other advantage is that everything's the same everytime and because of this it is very easy to adjust to the type of herb and manipulate the variables more accurately to bigger yields. Think about this, it may help make your runs more spectacular.

I have been making gold from shit. :nod:
but what do you do to get it there youre jsut talking about the dampness or lack there of

tfrank,
Top Bottom