Gear Slug .33 Rosin Forge

anasrzi

Looking forward to the fall (or autumn as we say in the u.k). A way of doing continuous runs would be neigh on perfect, especially if your able to process larger grams like in the deuce and fat Mac on a continuing basis.

Looking good for the slug family :D

anasrzi,
Reactions: steama

Bandoo

I could not get my deuce to work well even while following the NBD videos in real time exactly.
Tried a few different varieties and heating times etc.
Never got more than a small dab when it didn't get sucked back into the chip.
Gave up, probably just me...But the chips were fun smoking :rofl:
Good luck!
ymmv...

Bandoo,

Bandoo

That's too bad...I wonder what the hell it could be? I am having a great time spinning straw into gold, hell I will give you my chips if you like smokin' 'em.

:cool:
Thanks!
The reason I smoked them was that not much came out. :lol: I'ts probably just me. .

Bandoo,

okydokes

Got mine today. Parcelforce and inland revenue dug their hands deep in my pockets though. I love the look and feel ...almost a shame to get It dirty.
Vice advise please. I’m trying to go as cheap as I can . Anything I need to look out for . Any no brainier option

Doktor Dub

Got mine today. Parcelforce and inland revenue dug their hands deep in my pockets though. I love the look and feel ...almost a shame to get It dirty.
Vice advise please. I’m trying to go as cheap as I can . Anything I need to look out for . Any no brainier option

Your vice has to be able to open up enough for the slug (uncompressed), you should think about a backplate (just a piece of steel) and i woud look at eBay / Craigslist etc. for something old but from a workshop / professional.
Can be found very easy and quite cheap, most often better than cheap and new....

As a starting point you can have alook at the vice @Nattybushdoctor offers on the slug website.

:2c:

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
I could not get my deuce to work well even while following the NBD videos in real time exactly.
Tried a few different varieties and heating times etc.
Never got more than a small dab when it didn't get sucked back into the chip.
Gave up, probably just me...But the chips were fun smoking :rofl:
Good luck!
ymmv...
no rosin= not enough heat. Heat longer, you can always subtract heat later. Make sure you compress very slowly at the end. It could also be the flower, some flower just doesn't yield. Sorry to hear about your fails.

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
1 1/4" x2
Get yourself a vise that has wide plates (jaws) that way you wont need a separate backing plate. This is what's nice about the Wilton vise's. You want Jaws that are 1 1/2" wide.

Nattybushdoctor,
Reactions: -dab8-

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
Check out the Wen brand of vise. They make a version that looks identical to the Wilton in Natty’s videos, but it’s black, and only $50.

Nattybushdoctor

Manufacturer
True, I was told by a customer the Wen's finish was shitty. They looks the same I like the grey color as well. You can also get Witlon's on the cheap. On their site they have links to discount stores that carry them.

Nattybushdoctor,

-dab8-

Dyna-saur
There will be no images of my rosin making success, very sorry about that. I do not want to share in that kind of way.

I am using a deuce and my success compares to what some of @Nattybushdoctor videos show. My spent pucks are hard, dry, not sticky, and they break into pieces like a cracker. In other words there is not shit left inside my spent pucks.

:nod:
Why do you not want to share your success pictures? You certainly don’t have to answer, I’m just curious.

Bandoo

Wouldn’t that be this thread?

“Maybe you've heard of a terrible place
Where the scoundrels of FC
Collect in a lair
Maybe you've heard of that mythical place
Called the Court of SLUG pressing
Hello, you're there!”
Right!
Sorry I used the wrong term. Yes it would be this thread.
Just some insperational pictures from the legal pressers :)

Bandoo,

Zementos

I bought one of those 50€ wilton clones. I don't know anything about vises, but for the price it looks ok. I just spend over an hour trying to clean it. Looked like bathed in grease. It was completely covered, but I guess thats the norm.(?) What is the best way to clean it/ get it dry? Tried wd40 with iso afterwards. Kinda works, but tedious.

Just picked up my 33 and deuce at the customs office. Excited. Will give it a go tonight.
My package was sent on monday and arrived saturday..in Germany. Respect @Nattybushdoctor

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
Surprise package came in today that I thought got canceled because of out of stock. Had a quartz banger and some other shit. Took me a nice dab of some rosin I'd squeezed with my own forge.

:rip:

Zementos

First pressing got a whole lot of nothing. Pretty sure that I was way too gentle with the torch. Only used the "soft" part of the flame for 1:15, + the flame was so small that there was almost no "bright" blue part. Got a little drop after reinserting the slug and adding another minute.
Was still fun. I'm confident that with a little trial and error it will deliver. Just happy I didn't use the frosty stuff to practice.

Ibn Vapin

DIY Noob
First pressing got a whole lot of nothing. Pretty sure that I was way too gentle with the torch. Only used the "soft" part of the flame for 1:15, + the flame was so small that there was almost no "bright" blue part. Got a little drop after reinserting the slug and adding another minute.
Was still fun. I'm confident that with a little trial and error it will deliver. Just happy I didn't use the frosty stuff to practice.

Only time you really need to worry about having heated it too much is when you see rosin bubbling out the ass end near the plunger. If you haven't watched Natty's YT videos, I would definitely recommend them as a good place to start so you can get a mental/visual feel for what you're doing :)

Zementos

Thx guys. I'm slowly getting there. Did a press yesterday and turned up the heat. Got maybe 5%. Ground up the puck and repressed it just now => another ~7-8%. The puck looks like it sucked some of that rosin back in. Really dark at the edge. Should I take the slug out of the vise earlier?

Does the stability of the product also depend on flower quality? Mine is barely collectable. Almost impossible to get everything off the parchment without some residue.

Edit: just got 10%. Very beautiful light golden color and much more stable. I'll turn it up another notch next time. I guess material is either too dry or just needs more heat. 1:30 next...:science:

Last edited:
Zementos,

Zementos

I mean if its stable it gets solid enough that I can pick it up without residue on parchment paper. My first run stayed in a honey like consitentcy. Maybe stable is the wrong term. More like gooey..:shrug:
Was trying to replicate the size of the flame in @Nattybushdoctor 's videos. But ok, I'll turn that shit up. :rockon:

Top Bottom