Gear Slug .33 Rosin Forge

Just curious... how much do you have to spend on butane to get.... let's say, 2 or 3 grams of rosin.

Or, if it makes more sense.... how much do you spend a [month/year] on butane just for the Slug.

This is definitely still on my want list. I love the price, however I am wondering how much the average user spends in butane.

Thanks

steama

Just curious... how much do you have to spend on butane to get.... let's say, 2 or 3 grams of rosin.

Or, if it makes more sense.... how much do you spend a [month/year] on butane just for the Slug.

This is definitely still on my want list. I love the price, however I am wondering how much the average user spends in butane.

Thanks
The whip-it ion lite uses very little butane per run, much less that blazer torches. A can of butane will last for many runs. I would say +10 as a guess. I would not be shocked if @Nattybushdoctor knows the exact answer to this.

The butane cost is so little I doubt you would even notice it much in the pocketbook.

Mr. Whitewall

The torch is where many people feel the pain of learning to use the slug33s. It is difficult to learn a different torch along with everything else going on with the extraction.

@Nattybushdoctor I'm on the fence about this one, probably for a Xmas purchase but since I do not live in the US, I cannot order the recommended torch :\. Site says it can't be sent over the post... Its a real bummer tbh.

Is there a solution for this?
...OR is it really that critical to have the proverbial Ion lite?
I already have a variable flow torch, a little bigger than the Blazer GB2100. Flame is blue on lowest setting, about 7cm length.

Thanks!

steama

@Nattybushdoctor I'm on the fence about this one, probably for a Xmas purchase but since I do not live in the US, I cannot order the recommended torch :\. Site says it can't be sent over the post... Its a real bummer tbh.

Is there a solution for this?
...OR is it really that critical to have the proverbial Ion lite?
I already have a variable flow torch, a little bigger than the Blazer GB2100. Flame is blue on lowest setting, about 7cm length.

Thanks!
It sounds like the torch you have would work fine. A little bigger flame than the blazer GB2100 should be almost perfect to heat your slugs.

I have had all my torches do successful runs. If you use the recommended whip-it ion lite torch and set the flame in the middle or above and heat for the recommended times you will likely be successful.

There is a slightly longer learning curve if you choose to learn a different torch, but once you get the feel of it you are good to go. Just make sure your torch is not completely over powered. The ion lite flame temperature is 1350°C / 2500°F so keep this in mind when shopping for an alternative torch.

Many, many, torches with a little practice can work perfectly with the slug33's.

Hmmm...this one looks like the whip-it ion lite, a rebrand. This one is on Amazon Prime, so I can get it in two days. I wonder if this is basically the same torch?

https://www.amazon.com/GiBot-Culina...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TKJKCP0TKW8VK1HG1Y4J

Think it'd be worth the risk, or should I just wait the extra week to get the ion lite?
What do y'all think?
That is the same torch as the ion lite is my bet. Every detail is identical.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
That is the same torch as the ion lite is my bet. Every detail is identical.

I thought so as well. However, I ended up ordering this...it's the only ion lite I could find with two-day shipping. All others were a week or more. The main picture is a Whip-It Ion, not an Ion Lite. However, the headline describes the Ion Lite (Yellow), and if you'll look down to the only comment, it's a complaint from someone that they did not get the torch in the pic, they got a yellow Ion Lite, which is what I want. lol

https://www.amazon.com/WHIP-LITE-BU...=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1537033991&sr=1-5

Last edited:
Ramahs,
Reactions: steama

steama

I thought so as well. However, I ended up ordering this...it's the only ion lite I could find with two-day shipping. All others were a week or more. The main picture is a Whip-It Ion, not an Ion Lite. However, the headline describes the Ion Lite (Yellow), and if you'll look down to the only comment, it's a complaint from someone that they did not get the torch in the pic, they got a yellow Ion Lite, which is what I want. lol

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6IZ85U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That image is of an whip-it ion torch, the upgrade from the ion lite, but the site says ion lite...the temps are the same. Cool man, it will be interesting to see which torch you get. In the comment section there is a single comment complaining they got a different torch than the one pictured. The got an ion lite. They even included an image. Still, although the image is not correct the price is still right.

:tup:

https://www.whipitbrand.com/Whip-It-Ion-Torch-Green-p/ion torch-09.htm

71OfPJR1PbL._SX466_.jpg

Ramahs

That image is of an whip-it ion torch, the upgrade from the ion lite, but the site says ion lite...the temps are the same. Cool man, it will be interesting to see which torch you get. In the comment section there is a single comment complaining they got a different torch than the one pictured. The got an ion lite. They even included an image. Still, although the image is not correct the price is still right.

:tup:

71OfPJR1PbL._SX466_.jpg

Yeah. I'm completely banking on the seller just using the wrong pic, because the seller description is of the yellow Ion Lite, and that's what the complaining customer got...so, that's what I'm expecting to get, lol.

Mr. Whitewall

@BornAgainSteama & @felon167inc thanks guys, will definetly look for the whip it, somewhere else than Amazon, as I was already ripped off once by them (bought 2 CD's and only received one, which is clearly stated in their website, but still paid zero attention to my claim...).

@Nattybushdoctor they won't even allow empty torches? How are torches even shipped anywhere, anyway? :uhh: I mean, you got those shipped from abroad, right? Or some distributor did?

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
That image is of an whip-it ion torch, the upgrade from the ion lite, but the site says ion lite...the temps are the same. Cool man, it will be interesting to see which torch you get

71OfPJR1PbL._SX466_.jpg
THAT is not the torch I got...it’s the color I wanted (and didn’t get), though.

The one I have has a teardrop-shaped safety switch right above where your right thumb would be, the torch won’t ignite if you don’t use both hands, and the gas feed is in the right side at the top of the ‘handle’. You depress the teardrop and at the same time, push in the button that says ‘off’ and ‘lock’, then while it’s pushed in, you rotate the button toward ‘lock’.

Now your torch is on. Go, be a happy dabsmith at your forge!

Seriously, my torch is different enough from these pix that I went and checked the torch and the box. They both say Whip-It ion lite.

I have not had mine long enough yet to give you a good answer - although it is a good question

Esp as I have been learning the unit and am still mastering....
I also am only new to rosin use and have only a quartz banger (besides my vapes) to consume so I use gas there too

I will say the lighter I have seems to last a good while before needing a refill though
The whip it needing 2 mins less heating time may use less or more gas to achieve this I do not know
Likewise, little time to practice. Likewise new to dabs. Historically I’d say I go thru maybe an one ‘regular’ size can in a year. I will be using more butane from this point for forging dabs and then dabbing them. I have two new regular size Whip-it cans, and a BIG (840ml) can of 11x refined n-butane, so I’ll notice if I have to buy butane before 2020.

Last edited:

Ramahs

Well, the $50 Wen vise/press from Amazon came in today and I just finished taking it apart and cleaning all the oil/grease off of it and putting it back together. Overall, it seems to be decent quality for the price I paid, so I think I made the right choice.
Now it's awaiting the arrival of my new Slug.33 this week and I can start squishin'! :tup:

I'm assuming that I should probably fill those holes in the plates with JB Weld and sand them flat, right?

IMG_0147.jpg

Last edited:

Ramahs

NO!
Do not fill in any holes -- you need the holes to access the plate screws!

It is good to go as is. :tup:

I wasn't worried about it because the heads of the plate screws are on the other side, and if I ever need to remove the plates again (don't know why I would), I should be able to drill out the JB Weld at the tips of the screws. I've done it before on other metal applications where I had a similar situation. I'm not sure why this one would be any different.

Don't I need a flat surface to press against? A hole in the middle of a flat surface seems to make it no longer a flat surface.

So, if I put paper and pressure over that hole...it's not just going to "blow out" through the paper and squish the herb into the hole? Seems like a lot of pressure to expect a thin layer of parchment paper to hold without tearing.

Hell, our fearless leader, @Nattybushdoctor, had a silver dollar JB-Welded right over that hole in his videos, as if he was less worried than me that he's going to have to remove the vise-jaw plate at a later date.

I know. I can put a bit of plastic down in the hole over the tip of the screw, so the JB Weld does not adhere to it, then I could always pull the screws out and just tap the JB weld out with a hammer and punch very easilly if I ever needed to.

Last edited:
Ramahs,

steama

I wasn't worried about it because the heads of the plate screws are on the other side, and if I ever need to remove the plates again (don't know why I would), I should be able to drill out the JB Weld at the tips of the screws. I've done it before on other metal applications where I had a similar situation. I'm not sure why this one would be any different.

Don't I need a flat surface to press against? A hole in the middle of a flat surface seems to make it no longer a flat surface.

So, if I put paper and pressure over that hole...it's not just going to "blow out" through the paper and squish the herb into the hole? Seems like a lot of pressure to expect a thin layer of parchment paper to hold without tearing.

Hell, our fearless leader, @Nattybushdoctor, had a silver dollar JB-Welded right over that hole in his videos, as if he was less worried than me that he's going to have to remove the vise-jaw plate at a later date.
You don't need to fuck up your vise to use the slug33s. Have you heard much about blowouts through those holes? I haven't either. Just do a press and center your slug and you will see the holes are not an issue because they are not in the 'squish zone'.

:peace:

Ramahs

Just do a press and center your slug and you will see the holes are not an issue because they are not in the 'squish zone'.

Yeah, but I was hoping to do it on one side, like what's in @Nattybushdoctor's instructional videos. I wanted to be over that nice flat surface that is only on either side.

Why when there is no need? To each his own...peace.

:peace:

Well, that's why I was asking. I was under the impression it was important that there was a flat surface that we were pressing against so that the paper ddin't tear out. Is that not the case?

Okay. I'll trust you.

Last edited:

steama

Well, that's why I was asking. I was under the impression it was important that there was a flat surface that we were pressing against so that the paper ddin't tear out. Is that not the case?

Okay. I'll trust you.
The slugs do not extend to the holes so there is no worry. If you go to a fat max you will need a backer plate so still no worry and no reason to fill an adjustment hole.

I go with a deuce and the holes are far beyond the edge of my slug. If I had filled up my holes and then realized there was no point to it, I would regret that move later.

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
Might be good to remember that NBD does his presses in the videos FOR the videos, so, on the side closest to the camera. You should center your Slug between the ends of the bottom jaw for best control of pressure.

I line my fatty up with the screw rod. THAT’s what’s delivering the pressure.

steama

@Ramahs I think you could fill those holes up and be just fine. If you don't like them there just fill them in. I doubt filling them would interfere with anything at all.

That way if you want to press over a hole no worries. :)

:2c:

steama,
Reactions: Ramahs

Ramahs

Thanks for the input everyone!

Just trying to ask as many questions as I can to get rid of as many useless ideas as I can before my first squish, as I currently have a finite amount of flower stored up, and my guy/connection seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet a couple months ago, so I have no idea when I'll be able to find more...so I'm trying to make as few beginner mistakes as possible in order to waste as little as possible up front.

Thanks again!

steama

Thanks for the input everyone!

Just trying to ask as many questions as I can to get rid of as many useless ideas as I can before my first squish, as I currently have a finite amount of flower stored up, and my guy/connection seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet a couple months ago, so I have no idea when I'll be able to find more...so I'm trying to make as few beginner mistakes as possible in order to waste as little as possible up front.

Thanks again!
thank you too buddy...questions make everyone think which is usually very good. It made me pull out my press and ended up making some green goddess. So thanks @Ramahs

:brow:

Gonzo_Dabs

Holy shit why wasnt I getting updates on this thread haha i missed out on alot. But I have alot of good news.

So to address the holes in the vice issue. Yes you absolutely do need a perfectly flat surface to press against. No the screw holes won't interfere. I have the Master Kit and it comes with the Wilton vice. On one plate it had deep groves that definitely interfered with the slugs. But I flipped the plate and all that is showing is 2 screw holes exactly like the vice in your picture and the area in between the 2 holes is perfect for a slug or a deuce.

On the issue of silicone I am sad to learn it isn't as good as I thought. I was just gifted a sick ass silicone bong with a little indent for a lighter and dab tool built into the base. The bong even has a silicone perc and on the bottom is has a little silicone dab jar built in. Now I don't use the little container for storage long term. It is was I used to store rosin from paper so I can use it. After practice and trial and error I am even more satisfied with my Master Kit. And the cost isnt insignificant but now that I have the idea behind the slug pretty down. I have found a way of handling and collecting the sticky rosin with ease and now I have something to use it with (the silicone bong came with a quartz banger which has made all the difference). Collecting it is as simple as freezing or chilling the rosin along with your tool. All you need is one piece on the tool and then you just lightly tap at the rosin and it'll all start sticking and gathering with ease.

I cant agree more with whoever said to be careful not to go too hard when collecting rosin. I've had little shards stuck to my face and arms and fridge and they are impossible to save if they warm up enough. All you need is one good piece on your dab tool and it'll pick up the rest. I usually squeeze and freeze my parchment for like 5 minutes and the little drip of rosin is what I grab first. It has usually frozen into a nice shard. Once I have that I go around and start tapping at the ring and it is quite impressive how easily it comes off. Believe me y'all. I've tried scraping with xacto knives and dab tools and it never works. It usually leave behind enough rosin to make me feel like I'm wasting some.

Felon is right. I can definitely see how most people are turned off by this. Because most people are lazy and stupid but for those of us who understand that good things require time and patience and skill then this is a home run.

And @Nattybushdoctor let me tell you now that I've spent time and have a good handle on the slug and the process. I am twice as happy as I was when I bought it now that I've gotten over the learning curve and have the proper tools/techniques to use and store it.

Also Lou what you've been saying is exactly why my Duece hasn't left its strap since I bought it. I wanted to learn with 1 gram at a time before I stepped to to 2 grams. It was painful enough seeing 1 gram go to waste. But hey I've has good success with re using fucked up pucks. I did the same shit as you and left the washer off. But I put it all back in and actually got an little drip.

I had 2 pieces of parchment with less than ideal yields and once I got the collection technique down and made a carb cap I had enough for 2 of us to take several good dabs and get higher than we thought. It'll only get better from here. I need to get a set of real dab tools.

Now I'm gonna start thinking about painting my vice. I'll post a pic of my tools soon.

I too was wishing I was able to press directly onto a silicone mat but I figured it wouldn't work. I was also thinking of buying the RAW parchment squares. I'm using Reynolds wrap but I love RAW and I like to support them.

I encourage all of you to try the squeeze and freeze method of storing and then the tapping method of gathering.

Top Bottom