• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Simrell Collection

acstorfer

Take My Money Dammit!
I just had an epiphany. I’m using my Mighty with my Simrell stem, and just like Archimedes when he shouted “Eureka!” from the bath tub, just like Sir Issac Newton when an apple fell on him, I can go on, I came to a conclusion that can shake the foundation of everything we know. Basically the Mighty is an induction heater I already owned before spending $$$ on a preorder induction heater.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
How do you guys clean your vortex stem? Is it okay to use 70% isopropyl alcohol?

It’s often BEST to consult the manufacturers product website, before considering the various and often conflicting advice you may find on the internet. So NO, 70% ISO, as you can see, is NOT recommended for a very good reason.

https://www.simrellcollection.com/maintenance/

Titanium Vortex
Remove the tip, push out the intercooler, and soak the Vortex and intercooler in isopropyl alcohol (with an alcohol content of 91% or higher to protect any anodization). Use something like a glass container, instead of a plastic bag, so the pieces don’t move around and scratch each other. Rinse, dry, assemble, and vape!

RustyOldNail,

RustyOldNail

At first look that make no sense whatsoever. The alcohol is the reactive chemical, the rest is water. How can 8% H20 protect the anodization and 29% H20 attack the anodization. :uhh::mental:

Ask Simrell, I didn’t write it. My point still stands. This is what the manufacturer states, then you can decide to clean it with cat piss if one likes, but at least you KNOW.

RustyOldNail,

RustyOldNail

Okay, it's written there, but I agree with @Planck – it makes no sense at all.

@RustyOldNail – What exactly is the „very good reason“?

I post it again, ACCORDING TO THE MANUFACTURER:

“(with an alcohol content of 91% or higher to protect any anodization)”

Since he made it, and took the time to write cleaning instructions, that’s the “very good reason”. Set up an experiment with your own costly Simrell Ti Stem, using various ISO percentages, and let us know how the anodizing turns out.

I was simply answering a simple posted question trying to help a forum member, but one of my points in my OG response is clearly demonstrated. One will get a world of opinions, and have to decipher where the truth lays.

Geez, it must be Sunday.....

RustyOldNail,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@RustyOldNail – So the good reason is that it's written there? Hm.

The thing is: most of us have a fairly good idea what iso is and how it behaves. I even did some research on anodized materials and different iso percentages, I found nothing. These kind of things are not a matter of opinions, but rather facts.

Siebter,
Reactions: Planck

RustyOldNail

@RustyOldNail – So the good reason is that it's written there? Hm.

The thing is: most of us have a fairly good idea what iso is and how it behaves. I even did some research on anodized materials and different iso percentages, I found nothing. These kind of things are not a matter of opinions, but rather facts.

Would love to see the research, without that, in my opinion, they are just opinions.

Edit to add, perhaps Austin or whoever that took the time to specifically mention the proper ISO water ratio when cleaning his titanium stems, is aware of how titanium and water are not a good match. Anodizing different metals like stainless steel may not matter when exposed to water/iso ratios. A shame Mr. Simrell does not participate here.

Last edited:
RustyOldNail,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Would love to see the research, without that, in my opinion, they are just opinions.

Yeah, as I said, there's nothing about water / iso ratios on anodized titanium to be found anywhere, that's why I think it's not really a thing ← now that's an opinion for sure :-) but honestly, I have a hard time coming up with another opinion.

Give it a try, I'm sure you won't have much more luck.

I also don't think titanium and water are not „a good match“, you can even find titanium water bottles online.

I'm sure something just got mixed up on Austins side, those kinda things just happen.

I might be wrong of course and if anyone could come up with a good reason why to avoid certain iso / water ratios, I happily will stand corrected.

Siebter,

RustyOldNail

Yeah, as I said, there's nothing about water / iso ratios on anodized titanium to be found anywhere, that's why I think it's not really a thing ← now that's an opinion for sure :-) but honestly, I have a hard time coming up with another opinion.

Give it a try, I'm sure you won't have much more luck.

I also don't think titanium and water are not „a good match“, you can even find titanium water bottles online.

I'm sure something just got mixed up on Austins side, those kinda things just happen.

I might be wrong of course and if anyone could come up with a good reason why to avoid certain iso / water ratios, I happily will stand corrected.

My titanium- water reference is from my experience with titanium nails, and understanding oxidation.

https://highlyeducatedti.com/blogs/information/titanium-maintenance-oxidation-prevention

“Water, or moisture is rich in oxygen and hydrogen and should be avoided at elevated temperatures. Quenching or "water seasoning" was an old concept in the community that thought a nail needed to be heated and dunked in water before use. This is not true and can lead to excessive oxidation and scaling, and significantly decrease the life of your nail as the ductility is reduced.”

RustyOldNail,

yogurtsauce

Bruh the 91% is just a solution... 91% solute (iso) / 9% solvent (water). It’s just diluted with water, and 91 happens to be the most common highest in the stores.

some math because that’s going to be brought up.

1000 mL 91% iso = 910 mL alc + 90 mL h20.

Water is too polarized to dissolve the thc, thc is non polarized, so the 910 mL alc will be the only thing able to dissolve the thc.

If you had 1000 mL 50% iso, then you would only have 500 mL alc + 500 mL h20

as you can see, 910 is a bigger number than 500

yogurtsauce,

RustyOldNail

Bruh the 91% is just a solution... 91% solute (iso) / 9% solvent (water). It’s just diluted with water, and 91 happens to be the most common highest in the stores.

some math because that’s going to be brought up.

1000 mL 91% iso = 910 mL alc + 90 mL h20.

Water is too polarized to dissolve the thc, thc is non polarized, so the 910 mL alc will be the only thing able to dissolve the thc.

If you had 1000 mL 50% iso, then you would only have 500 mL alc + 500 mL h20

as you can see, 910 is a bigger number than 500

Thanks for the math lesson. I know what’s in ISO, I don’t sweat it much and only use 99% ISO.
Hmmm... how much water is in that......

RustyOldNail,

RustyOldNail

Getting back to one of my original points, but to expand. Knowing what the manufacturer lists as “safe practices”, whether right or wrong science wise, is wise, as usually it’s part of any given warranty. So let’s say you took off all your extra cost anodizing, by using a lower percentage ISO in this hypothetical scenario, now if one were completely honest when dealing with a warranty claim, they in fact were not following the products guidelines. Usually a grey area at best. (I doubt this applies to a Stimwell stem, as I don’t know what his warranty is, and the cleaning “advice”, is buried within menus on his site).

So I still believe it’s logical to know the parameters before you decide to knowingly break them.

Honestly, my long stem is plain titanium, not sure if there was any anodizing done to it. It does appear to be polished though.

And to avoid this issue-non issue, 91% ISO is affordable in my opinion and in many cases reusable. I treat myself to the more expensive 99%, and not pay for H2O. Don’t blow yourself UP! Talking to you ultrasonic cleaning fans.

RustyOldNail,

yogurtsauce

Getting back to one of my original points, but to expand. Knowing what the manufacturer lists as “safe practices”, whether right or wrong science wise, is wise, as usually it’s part of any given warranty. So let’s say you took off all your extra cost anodizing, by using a lower percentage ISO in this hypothetical scenario, now if one were completely honest when dealing with a warranty claim, they in fact were not following the products guidelines. Usually a grey area at best. (I doubt this applies to a Stimwell stem, as I don’t know what his warranty is, and the cleaning “advice”, is buried within menus on his site).

So I still believe it’s logical to know the parameters before you decide to knowingly break them.

Honestly, my long stem is plain titanium, not sure if there was any anodizing done to it. It does appear to be polished though.

And to avoid this issue-non issue, 91% ISO is affordable in my opinion and in many cases reusable. I treat myself to the more expensive 99%, and not pay for H2O. Don’t blow yourself UP! Talking to you ultrasonic cleaning fans.
I usually use 91% because that’s the highest I can find. If I have 70% I mix it with salt for abrasives. I use salt with 91% as well, but it makes it work much better when you have a lower %. I also only have the plain stem

yogurtsauce,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Salt separates the water from the alcohol. Therefore, it purifies alcohol from whatever percentage it was. You now have salt, salt water, and water in alcohol. Not sure what level of purity you can achieve with salt alone.

TommyDee,

yogurtsauce

Salt separates the water from the alcohol. Therefore, it purifies alcohol from whatever percentage it was. You now have salt, salt water, and water in alcohol. Not sure what level of purity you can achieve with salt alone.
The salt is just to do a little scrub a dub dub on the inside

yogurtsauce,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I know what its for, I'm just saying that salt changes the water dilution of the alcohol making the percentage of the alcohol higher. That is why you see water and salt on the bottom of your container.

TommyDee,

RustyOldNail

How did we get into SALT, the original question was:

“How do you guys clean your vortex stem? Is it okay to use 70% isopropyl alcohol?“

Must be Sunday......

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: Siebter
Top Bottom