SideKick by Elev8 Vehicles

mayan

stickstones>>>thanks for the report and methodology. Approximately how big a bud did you use? I've never had the pleasure of doing a whole bud and would like to give it a whirl...Did the bud essentially fill up the bowl or was it much smaller? Thanks!!! Further!!

mayan,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Used it with my D-020 and the arizer elbow adapter last night. I think it's more cumbersome than it's worth because the unit as designed cools well enough on its own. I can tell I won't be much help to 7th Floor selling their Sidekick bubblers. I got a nice one by Elev8 glass that is really nice and a joy to use, but it's just not necessary.

It seems like I have been modding portables forever trying to solve the hot vapor problem. The Pinnacle had their water tool. The Solo was too hot for me above 4. And all of my favorite convection portables like the Zion and miniVAP have me extending the air path some, which impacts their portability. The Sidekick is more like the Ascent in that it has the hot vapor thing figured out in a complete package, and I like that. I find myself drawn to the stock glass mouthpiece that telescopes for easy storage.

mayan

I like how exploring a new vaporizer is like going to a new country...have to learn the language, customs and the idiosyncrasies of the whys and wherefores of the new locale.

Unfortunately, I'm not much of an intrepid scientific explorer - don't have the tools, skills or facile fingers. I was wondering whether anyone has or started working on a Temperature-equivalency chart for the numbering system that's employed. I'm not sure what would be needed or even whether it's possible due to design or whatever but it would be great to know what 5.5 is, for example. Incidentally, using the stickstones bud method, I had a very nice session with very cool, flavorful vapor for the entire bowl. The ABV was dark but not as toasted as previous forays. I kept it at 6. I didn't take it the full time to cut-off - rather had 6 or 7 nice long but gentle pulls. I may try to go lower on the scale in the interests of giving my body to science.

SSV_ADAM

Company Rep
I think there have been some questions about temperature at each setting. You can find this chart on our website on the SideKick landing page under the instruction manual link.

Cheers everyone.

Setting: C F
1 120 248
2 138 280
3 157 314
4 166 330
5 177 350
6 185 365
7 196 385
8 208 407
9 221 430
10 229 444
11 235 455

Sorry, my copy paste didn't work. The site has half step temp listing as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe, pre combustion debate strikes again!
Look 'bout 10% to you? :rofl:
What is pre combustion?
A non existent concept in support of the (incorrect) theory that there is a such thing as partial combustion.

The only time I've heard the term "pre-combustion" used correctly was in reference to the prechamber in diesel engines (where its gasified in preparations for combustion).

I'm not closed off to conduction units. In fact I find thy tend to offer a far more unique vape signature than most convection vapes. Hopefully the price comes down a bit over time and I get the opportunity to give it a go, I'm sure I'll get to try one before too incredibly long.

mayan

Thanks for the heating chart, Adam...I'd been looking. It's very helpful to me.

A quick report from last night's explorations...I tried some kief in the oil can with the cap on. Tried it at 7, 7.5 and 8. Very nice vapor and nice clouds (if that's important to you). The vapor remained cool and flavorful (bliss) and the kief ended up in a very clean little clump that was simple to clean. No burnt taste or odor. All-in-all - I'm very impressed with this method - will continue to work with it. My only nit is that -unless I have it wrong (always, always a possibility), one has to remove the stirring rod so that it doesn't impale the cap. This is not fatal by any means but it detracts -a bit- from the overall sublimity. So, if I'm doing it wrong, please feel free to disabuse me of my ignorant ways. If I'm right, maybe they can come up with a retractable stirring rod (maybe tough engineering feat - I know) or deeper cap.

One last question...both the cap and can have an indentation which I lined up....with the cap tab sticking up. It seemed to fit nicely that way -without spillage of the keif- but I sure don't know I'm doing it the way it was designed. Anyhow...Enjoy, fellow Sidekickers...this one does have some legs.

Finally, I want to also say that 7th Floor has been very helpful to me - both through email (amazing response during business hours) and on the phone. Alright, over and out.

Last edited:

Likes2vape

I went to San Diego for the weekend and came home to a sidekick sitting on porch. Nice welcome home present!!

I charged up the batteries and loaded it up. I left it preset at 7, it heated up in 25 seconds. The first two hits were super tasty! I stirred after every hit and got 8 hits from it every hit tasted good until the last hit. The vapor is very cool and there is no draw restriction! I love that it is wide open air flow, that's one of my biggest complaints with portables.

I loaded up a second bowl and tried out the bubbler. It works great, looks great but not necessary, says the hardcore bong smoker! 7 hits this time.

It doesn't produce big clouds (I'm a cloud chaser) but it medicates well. The abv comes out really dark but no combustion, not even pre-combustion!

I took out the vortex rod for the next bowl and turned it up to 9. I used the bubbler again. Bigger clouds but still not huge. I got 6 hits like this.

The next bowl was with the regular mp, vortex rod removed @ 7.5 The vapor is still really cool with the rod removed. I got 6 hits from this bowl.

I loaded up another one and set it to 7. I got 5 hits before the batteries died. I probably could have gotten 2-3 more hits from it.

Each bowl heated up within 35 seconds. Overall I'm happy with this and the battery life seems ok.

Likes2vape

I'm willing to bet these two are related, is there a way to restrict draw a bit? I like a wide open airway too, but most conduction vapes don't seem to preform well without a bit of restrictionm
Not that I could figure out. I tried slowing my draw but it didn't seem to make a difference if I sipped or ripped it clouds were about the same.

I'm actually not disappointed there weren't bigger clouds as it gets me well medicated. So far I like better than the solo and way better than the haze. I'll give a few weeks for my final verdict though.

HD Springer

I'm not gonna lie that's a whole lot more battery life then I would of thought you could get out of 350's. And the fact the flavor lasts the length of the bowl is real nice. I'm very impressed with these reports. The only thing I'm not liking is the light cloud output.

@Likes2vape nice freaking work there sir. You really put some time into this testing. 5 straight bowls,right? I did somthing similar when first testing the TOD 5-7 straight stems and I was lost in a haze that was AWESOME!!! God I love testing new vaporizers,especially when they have little to no learning curve.

Likes2vape

Thanks @HD Springer Testing is strenuous work but someone's gotta do it! :lol::science:

Yes 5 bowls before needing fresh batteries. I'm happy with that.

I thought the lack of cloudage would annoy me but it doesn't. The effects are there and it feels more of a heavy eyes/couch lock high. IDK if it's because of how dark it gets but I like it.

Likes2vape

Thanks for the reports...I'm actually finding that vaping flower works well at 5.5 or 6. Less burn but still quite cloud emitting. Heartily endorse working with the lower numbers, as it turns out.
I tried a bowl at 5.5 right now and lost count of how many hits I took but kept hitting until the timer shut off. It tasted good all the way through but I did switch to the bubbler half way through the session.

I swapped to the regular mp for my last draw and it was harsher but would have been fine for me to use for the whole load. DISCLAIMER: I like really big hits and can snap bongloads like nobodies business so I may not be the best to judge harshness.

I like being able to swap between the standard mouth piece and bubbler on the same load. The bubbler does add smoothness to hits.

The batteries started out at 8v and dropped down to 7.6v by the end of the session. I already had one session from last night on batteries that was just over 3 minutes. I could probably get another half a session out of it so it is seeming about a total of 14-15min total run time on a set of fresh charged batteries. I forgot to mention last night each one of bowls were a little over 3 minutes each, including warm up time.

I find the stir wheel to be kind of therapeutic almost like a worry stone. Yeah I'm vaked:science::freak:

I tried the concentrate can and what a PITA removing/reinstalling the stir rod and screen is. It's not something you could do out and about for sure. The screwdriver from 7th floor didn't work for me but I have a bunch of small screwdrivers so I was able to get it off.

I loaded a decent size dab, turned it up to 11 and got 5 big hits off the bubbler. I probably could of gotten a couple more hits but I was good. Taste was excellent! It's a good wax vape but not dab like.

I don't really see myself switching between flower and wax with this vape as it is a PITA to put the screen and stir rod back together. If I had an extra top it'd be convenient but as it is now its just to much hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Likes2vape

So after some more testing I'm not really digging the sidekick for vaping flower. It does get me medicated but like I said earlier I'm a cloud chaser and this is where it falls short.

I am getting between 15-17 minutes of run time on a fresh set of batteries. I usually get between 3-5 bowls per charge with each session between 3-5 minutes.

I called 7th floor yesterday and asked if they had any tips to get thicker vapor they just said to draw slowly when vaping flower. The guy I spoke with said he uses his mainly for concentrates at 9-9.5
He said he removed the stone from the lid and turns the lid around when vaping concentrate.

I gave it a try last night and it rocks especially with the bubbler. I placed a decent sized dab in the bottom of the can, put the lid on the can backwards, heated it up to 9.5 and let it heat up for 30 seconds after the buzz. The first hit I didn't get much and was like WTF!! I too a second hit and I got a huge flavorful cloudy hit! I ended up getting 6 hits while it was on and I took two more hits when I turned the power of. The last hit was kind of wispy though. I think it would make a great session wax vape using it like this. I've done 4 loads through it like this and it's been the same each time. I did drop the can and lid in some iso after the 3rd load as it was dirty but didn't taste bad.

I'm kind of torn on this vape! I bought to vape flower and while it works good for that it's not what I'm looking for. If I was able to get bigger clouds it would be awesome! I think the flavor never really gets that bad as there is a ton of fresh air mixing with the vapor.

As a wax vape it is rocking and I can see it filling this void. I would call it load as you go session wax vape. It is a little messy though.

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
So after some more testing I'm not really digging the sidekick for vaping flower. It does get me medicated but like I said earlier I'm a cloud chaser and this is where it falls short.

I am getting between 15-17 minutes of run time on a fresh set of batteries. I usually get between 3-5 bowls per charge with each session between 3-5 minutes.

I called 7th floor yesterday and asked if they had any tips to get thicker vapor they just said to draw slowly when vaping flower. The guy I spoke with said he uses his mainly for concentrates at 9-9.5
He said he removed the stone from the lid and turns the lid around when vaping concentrate.

I gave it a try last night and it rocks especially with the bubbler. I placed a decent sized dab in the bottom of the can, put the lid on the can backwards, heated it up to 9.5 and let it heat up for 30 seconds after the buzz. The first hit I didn't get much and was like WTF!! I too a second hit and I got a huge flavorful cloudy hit! I ended up getting 6 hits while it was on and I took two more hits when I turned the power of. The last hit was kind of wispy though. I think it would make a great session wax vape using it like this. I've done 4 loads through it like this and it's been the same each time. I did drop the can and lid in some iso after the 3rd load as it was dirty but didn't taste bad.

I'm kind of torn on this vape! I bought to vape flower and while it works good for that it's not what I'm looking for. If I was able to get bigger clouds it would be awesome! I think the flavor never really gets that bad as there is a ton of fresh air mixing with the vapor.

As a wax vape it is rocking and I can see it filling this void. I would call it load as you go session wax vape. It is a little messy though.
im getting great flower clouds setting to 9 right away then tailor my draw accordingly. The sk is fast and powerful. Sorta reminds me of a beefed up T1.

Likes2vape

Just dont dilly dally and stir between hits!
Ok so 9 is producing decent cloudage and flavor! (I don't know why but I didn't go past 7.5 for flowers:bang::science: I feel like dummy:bang::bang:)

I love the stir wheel for some reason I find it therapeutic!

Edit: I did do 9 the first day but haven't since. I think 9 is where it's at for flower!

Last edited:

mayan

Interesting...Thanks again for the reports. Information is power! Are you able to do flower at 9 without either burning the shit out of it in quick order? Also - are you using the bubbler at that temp? I really like it for vaping straight kief but I find it a real hassle to deal with the stirrer removal. I would be happy to get another cap and keep it dedicated to concentrates rather than have to keep dealing with that effing set screw. Otherwise, I've been keeping it at 5.5 and very much like the flavor and coolness. I get clouds but not great big cloud tsunamis. I like the whole bud method. Kinda cool not to grind at all. Been going back and forth between this and the Mighty...I'm trying to figure out whether it's a mood thing or not.

BTW...I don't know nuthin' about batteries. Any sense as to how long they should be able to go without needing replacement?

Enjoy!

Top Bottom