Shakedown Street

coolbreeze

Last night was the Dead & Co's last show, arguably the last time we'll see some OG band members doing it this way, at the Big Show. I streamed it in NY.
During one portion, and again after the show, there was a great drone display.
This was the farewell scene,
Dang, I shoulda streamed it. Sorry to see them go, it's been a fun ride! Here's some consolation:

These shows for me are the original resurrection or logical next step, following Jerry's death and the so-so Further festivals. Phil ruled 1999 with lineups ranging from the classic (Little Feat) to the contemporary (String Cheese) until he eventually winnowed it down to The Q.

Then there's Weir's Ratdog which was a ton of fun throughout its lineups. Post-Dead has been amazing!

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Last night was the Dead & Co's last show, arguably the last time we'll see some OG band members doing it this way, at the Big Show. I streamed it in NY.
During one portion, and again after the show, there was a great drone display.
This was the farewell scene,
I too streamed the last shows and really enjoyed them in a bittersweet way. I caught them at the Forum in LA at the start of the tour and that show was simply magical. I've sinced couch-watched amost all of the rest of the shows this tour and it's clear that the band is exiting in peak form.

If any of you heads would be interested in watching the shows, hit me up for a miracle. :cool:

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss

:peace:

ChooChooCharlie

Agree with above

I should have hitched a ride with Bill from SD to SF, but I'm not "a-a friend of Bill's"

FOB-Dead-and-Co-SF-final-show.jpg

Raskolnikov

Having been to countless shows, I admit the last couple years have just completely priced me out...
Just the way it is now. Gig going is turning into a luxury pastime if you want to see any large band. Then throw in scalpers using bots to hoover up all the tickets and I feel for the young of today. Im lucky I grew up with an uncle who was a music fanatic audiophile who always took me to gigs all over the world.
More of a Creedence and John Fogerty fan myself but I do enjoy the dead. Man i feckin love Creedence.

coolbreeze

Having been to countless shows, I admit the last couple years have just completely priced me out...
Same. The vids show a much more gelled band than I saw previously, so I regret missing the tour, but the ticket prices and shitty local venue were too much. The good thing is, Weir's restless so he will be back with some band or another before the summer's out. Anyhow, I don't see why we can't celebrate it all!

coolbreeze

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

Well, fortunately....

What a movie that is. My favourite comedy. The Dude and Walter Sobchak are so funny together.

Do you see what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass lol

This dude abides.

coolbreeze

Summer Jam, the biggest concert ever:
watkins-glen-23_2042749320_o-768x548.jpg

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Holy shit, 50 yrs ago today, I was there, with my girlfriend (now wife) and a group of somewhere between ten and twenty friends, camped in a wooded area. Our 3 absolute favorite bands, the Dead, the Band and the Allmans.

Some of our group had brought a tank of Nitrous Oxide (nicknamed "Dr. NO") and pretty much never left the campsite...but I didn't partake, so I did experience all the music...

To this day I'm surprised that with 2 days' wandering around, I never saw the racetrack!

coolbreeze

Holy shit, 50 yrs ago today, I was there, with my girlfriend (now wife) and a group of somewhere between ten and twenty friends, camped in a wooded area. Our 3 absolute favorite bands, the Dead, the Band and the Allmans.

Some of our group had brought a tank of Nitrous Oxide (nicknamed "Dr. NO") and pretty much never left the campsite...but I didn't partake, so I did experience all the music...

To this day I'm surprised that with 2 days' wandering around, I never saw the racetrack!
Man-oh-man, thanks for sharing! That must have been amazing!

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I dunno about u guys, and admittedly, I'm no "dead head", nor was I really ever, even tho I went to my fair share of shows over the years... but regardless of how fuct it is, ftmp, I really like the Woodstock set, (especially in HD on Blu-ray... ridiculously loud, of course):

Grateful Dead @ Woodstock (Full Set, 1969)

Setlist:

01 - St. Stephen - 00:51
02 - Mamma Tried - 03:00
xx - technical difficulties
03 - Dark Star - 06:30
04 - High Time - 26:00 (audio out of sync)
05 - Turn On Your Love Light - 31:40 - (audio bit out of sync)

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Best show ever! I love '74 Dead more than anything (with '73 close behind) and this is the peak of the peak:
https://archive.org/details/gd74-08-06.sbd.deadlists.1463.sbeok.shnf
Wow, you have some knack for finding shows I went to - even though I only ever went to roughly ten shows.
Can't swear about the date on this one, but I did see them at this same minor league stadium (Roosevelt) in Jersey City in either '73 or '74. I will listen to this one...sometime...
I dunno about u guys, and admittedly, I'm no "dead head", nor was I really ever, even tho I went to my fair share of shows over the years... but regardless of how fuct it is, ftmp, I really like the Woodstock set, (especially in HD on Blu-ray... ridiculously loud, of course):

Grateful Dead @ Woodstock (Full Set, 1969)

Setlist:

01 - St. Stephen - 00:51
02 - Mamma Tried - 03:00
xx - technical difficulties
03 - Dark Star - 06:30
04 - High Time - 26:00 (audio out of sync)
05 - Turn On Your Love Light - 31:40 - (audio bit out of sync)
Funny, for as much as the Dead were my favorite band ever, I never considered myself a Dead Head. I stopped going to shows when they reached the point where huge crowds followed them around.
Never passed around tapes or listened to a thousand archives.
I spent my time trying to BE like them; dropped out of school to form a band that was more or less a Dead/New Riders tribute band - in '72, when there really was no such thing as a tribute band yet...

Mostly you hear about how really bad the Dead were at Woodstock, didn't even make it onto the album or into the movie, so...
But maybe it was just gross tech difficulty?
Also gonna give this one a listen...sometime...

Top Bottom