Induction Heater MAD Heaters - Innovative Dynavap Accessories

to get this out of the way:
i would love a vote on the light color steps. that red flashing follows solid red would confuse me for sure.

having the temperature adjustable below 120 °C would be fantastic as well.
i would not care about the low wattage.
high wattage is unnecessary at these low temperatures and adjustability with low wattage is better than no adjustability.

ok, now down to business:
i understand that 20% steps are bad for most use cases. it was just an example for the percentile-based system.

if precision is more important the closer you get to the aim temperature as you said (which i agree with), then what do you think of partitions like this:

blue <50%, green 50-70%, yellow 70-85%, orange 85-95%, purple 95-<100%; 5x flashing red 100%

these values are not set in stone, neither are the colors.
for instance there is an argument to be made that a light shutoff grabs more attention than flashing red and so it should signal 100%. in this case purple should be replaced with red, in my opinion.

note that the above steps roughly resemble your absolute values provided the max temperature of 240 °C is selected.

why not scale these down via a relative system to get more precision with lower temperatures?

only in the critical zone of 120-190 °C with your absolute system:

you get yellow from 120-160 °C, orange from 160-180 °C and red from 180-190 °C with 3x flashing green at aim temperature.

4 colors.

only in the critical zone with the relative system set to the values above:

if aim temperature is 190 °C (the max value in the critical zone, so the following steps are least precise), we get green from 120-133 °C, yellow from 133-161,5 °C, orange from 161,5-180,5 °C, purple from 180,5-<190 °C and 5x flashing red at 190 °C.

to me, this is an appropriate color-temperature curve. of course you get all 5 colors.

in fact the biggest benefit of a relative system is that you always get all 5 colors and thereby full precision, no matter the aim temperature.

the absolute system on the other hand gives less colors and therewith less information, the lower the set temperature goes.

now of course, you can not calculate any of these percentages while blasted.
however, i also seriously doubt that you can remember the absolute temperature values while stoned out of your mind and talking to friends.

moreover, with the quite broad absolute increments i do not think you can reliably gauge your specific wanted temperature just by light colors, if you do happen to remember the absolute values.

well, there is no need. it is easier to just look at the screen.

even if you guess your wanted temperature correctly with aid of the lights and absolute values, it is not worth the effort.

to get a different temperature, simply adjust it.

this will have to be easily possible while being high as fuck anyways, for example if you have different strains on you or if you go for harder hits with subsequent bowls or vape some light mint on low temperature after 3 bowls of broccoli.

provided all this, the lights' most important function is to show how much and fast heating has progressed, so you know roughly how long to wait until the load is ready.

the current temperature displayed on the screen does not tell you how fast temperature is changing.
you can only estimate this by watching the screen for quite a long time.

thus, the information how fast heating will be finished which the lights deliver is unobtainable by other reasonable means.

however, as a progress-o-meter the relative system is substantially more accurate, especially for low temperatures.

Last edited:
lugaschfuckcombustion,
well all these issues are firmware-bound. there are no physical or technical limitations here.

so if the firmware is user updateable, all can be figured out later without hassle. if the firmware is only updateable via the manufacturer, it is a bit of hassle but not too much.

personally, i do not care if the sense releases now or later if waiting means the best possible product

lugaschfuckcombustion,
Reactions: Brenyo

endof3d

Cognitive Dissonance D4 ++++
MH has been very receptive over the past months to address many suggestions from this forum. Thank you. At this juncture there is way too many resources and time invested to get distracted.

It's impossible to satisfy everyone and even attempting too would be a fools errand.

Brenyo

Manufacturer
i also seriously doubt that you can remember the absolute temperature values while stoned out of your mind and talking to friends.
I think it will burn into your memory after a week of use, you'll know almost exactly when it's at the right temperature even without using the temp control if it's used around the higher temp values where it will be used most of the time.
I agree tho... for showing progress the percentile based system is better, but for the occasions where you'd like to rely on the colours out of laziness the absolute value still wins imo and this is it's only real function which I'd hate to loose. We'll stick with the original plan for now and hope that we can implement the firmware update as well so it could be customised later on.

This is why we're here on the forum and it's great to have new suggestions, thank you! :tup:

I think it will burn into your memory after a week of use, you'll know almost exactly when it's at the right temperature even without using the temp control if it's used around the higher temp values where it will be used most of the time.
I agree tho... for showing progress the percentile based system is better, but for the occasions where you'd like to rely on the colours out of laziness the absolute value still wins imo and this is it's only real function which I'd hate to loose. We'll stick with the original plan for now and hope that we can implement the firmware update as well so it could be customised later on.

This is why we're here on the forum and it's great to have new suggestions, thank you! :tup:

awesome! thank you for the constructive discussion.

i value the progress-o-meter function a lot but i can definitely see why people might prefer an absolute value system.

the only way to satisfy everyone is customization, so i am very glad you presented that prospect.

this is also a minor functionality detail, so its implementation can very well be postponed.

i am amazed at how responsive and argumentative you act here, fat kudos to you.
this is great customer service and i am not even a customer yet!

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I find the color changes on my Hotshot very helpful, besides so cool. I look forward to seeing the color scheme on the Sense. It doesn't look like they will have the same pattern, so that's gonna fuck with my head. :razz:

Since you anticipate there being future versions of the Sense, any thought of giving it a numerical suffix? like Sense 1.0, or maybe to the power of Sense^1 and go from there?

I find the color changes on my Hotshot very helpful, besides so cool. I look forward to seeing the color scheme on the Sense. It doesn't look like they will have the same pattern, so that's gonna fuck with my head. :razz:

Since you anticipate there being future versions of the Sense, any thought of giving it a numerical suffix? like Sense 1.0, or maybe to the power of Sense^1 and go from there?

i like the classic. Sense, Sense 2, Sense 3, ...

i never got the 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 ... thing. if you don't release smaller updates like 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, ... why bother? feels pseudotechnical, unnecessary and sort of l33tsp34k.

Last edited:
lugaschfuckcombustion,
Reactions: Brenyo

Brenyo

Manufacturer
@Brenyo hello, it’s almost the end of May. Some progress? Real photos of the heater or any information?

Forgive my over-zealousness, I just can't wait 😂
We had quite a few setbacks unfortunately and now we’re at the 3rd version of the PCB which should be ready on Sunday. We’ll start testing and implementing the UI again next week.
If all goes well we can start working on the cases to build the first complete units and then things should progress a lot faster from there.

Other than that we made some changes on the menu layout and key combinations to make it easier to use. The stem also got some visual updates based on the feedback we’ve got.

We’ll post less new feature infos/updates until we can use real photos finally 🙂

Been following this quite closely since it's announcement and I don't think this has been brought up yet, as someone not particularly fussed about the complexity and temperature control but likes the replacable batteries, will the Sense have an... "Orion" mode, where you just dip it in and it does the thing? I love the simplicity of all of those proprietary chinese induction heaters but they are all let down by non replacable batteries, and I'm sincerely hoping this device can fill that gap for me as it's a local product and there aren't too many of those in this game.

MVonStrange

We had quite a few setbacks unfortunately and now we’re at the 3rd version of the PCB which should be ready on Sunday. We’ll start testing and implementing the UI again next week.
If all goes well we can start working on the cases to build the first complete units and then things should progress a lot faster from there.

Other than that we made some changes on the menu layout and key combinations to make it easier to use. The stem also got some visual updates based on the feedback we’ve got.

We’ll post less new feature infos/updates until we can use real photos finally 🙂
I'm down for waiting more for a primo first run. I will wait for this IH because there is so much I want from this model. Good things are worth the wait. Especially when it can be an amazeballs product. And the potential for an entire line up up products to follow? Yes, Mad Heaters! Thank you guys for your hard work so far and I look forward to the usability changes yall are making.

Top Bottom