Sapphire and Ruby inserts for bangers

biohacker

710gems faceted sapphire insert weighs 9.079g and my 19mm biao.t ruby weights 9.274g

Wow that's a killer sapphire you got! Was that one of their B stock for $100? I've had several from biao, and they have always been the heaviest i've come across. Do you prefer the sapphire or ruby or indifferent?

Last edited:
biohacker,
Reactions: Cheebsy

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
As someone who has never tried sapphire or ruby, what does the weight change for the user experience? Is it heat retention or something else maybe?

biohacker

As someone who has never tried sapphire or ruby, what does the weight change for the user experience? Is it heat retention or something else maybe?

Exactly, I only torch cold start, and have had a ruby less than 7g, and the heat retention and experience was definitely noticeable. For ocd types like me anyways lol

Dude if you've never dabbed off of sapphire or ruby, I don't know anyone that ever went back to quartz. It's the best cannabis experience i've ever experienced, and it's been some years now.

Azn2101

I’ve kinda laid low on this thread since everything seems to be about slurpers, marbles/abstract accessories, and slurper alternatives designs.

But since you guys are here at this surprise convening 😁

I wanna know if anyone’s gotten any information about “Diamondium” other than “It’s just the best…Heirloom Quality…HEAT RETENTION EVERYWHERE!!!!!” Type responses or bought something made from it?

No hate on DNail for marketing their material but I kinda wanna know why it’s worth so much and if it’s justified; Would I be paying 1/3rd the price that they’re actually valuing this material and 2/3rd of that tag are cause of the exclusivity factors or what you know?

I learned my lesson the hard way, (on this same thread 😆) with the FS ALN, that “as advertised” with these bleeding edge company’s products *can have* a pretty wide margin for expectations in relation to the products description so I’m gonna hold off until these’s much more open information about it but also because I’m not that rich…and the above stated reason lol.

on a similar note, has anyone taken a go at AT recently? I took a dive for one but it was a bit of a spectacle. They sent out a “severe aesthetic” 2nd Quality (like 1/3rd less of the normal thickness of the puck along with black splotches that are in the blue coating around the logo) from their 4/20 Sale as a 1st quality so we settled on $300 flat for a blue plus a good review. I like it, but I don’t know if I’ll buy one again at $500 if it breaks so I’m kinda happy it played out the way it did. It weighs out to 11.89 grams so that seems decent for a severe “aesthetic” defect lol.

I won’t lie and say there wasn’t a bit of a “Headie” motive to it so meh Gotta live sometimes right?

@JCat I can’t put my finger on it but If I have a choice I’ll go with sapphire over Ruby. Something about it makes the dab’s strong front taste turn quicker for me than Sapphire or maybe it’s just placebo 🤷‍♂

biohacker

I wanna know if anyone’s gotten any information about “Diamondium” other than “It’s just the best…Heirloom Quality…HEAT RETENTION EVERYWHERE!!!!!” Type responses or bought something made from it?

Didn't even know about it until now! Regardless, it will not be in my future lol

on a similar note, has anyone taken a go at AT recently?

What do you think about its performance vs other gemstone inserts you have used?

Nice to see you around again bro!!! You saved me from falling for the AlN lol

Wonder when/if FS will ever release that MVP! lol

Azn2101

@biohacker Hey what’s up dude!

No problem man, I mean I was really trying to remain optimistic about the ALN (cause I didn’t want to accept the truth!) and it working in some manner be it Torch, Shooby-Tech, or straight Torch usage. I definitely held out hope for too long but ya man of course, no point in lying about it you know? But some people like it and I that’s their prerogative I guess lol.

🤦 Oh man that’s still being kicked around? Honestly I thought he’d quietly given up on that design since he came bursting out of the gate like one of those guys who spin signs in 100* weather and have WAY too much energy then disappeared like a fart into the wind.

Hmm, that’s hard to answer since it’s so off from what they deem a “normal” XL insert (pre Golden Ratio design) and coincidentally @JCat sold me a v1 GG 19mm Sapphire a few years back that’s still kicking and that was the best gemstone insert I had used prior to the 2nd Quality AT. So I’d say it definitely does retain heat better but how much? I’d venture to say not as much as a mark up as it’s worth vs the DNail Sapphire Insert but that’s something that changes with the intent of the buyer for the insert.

I actually had to prove my case about the puck sizing or else it wouldn’t be taken back as a “severe aesthetic” but only a “light aesthetic” for the spotting in the blue coating which would’ve made it $400 since they were going to stick to the “2ct variance” stance as the reason for the thin bottom and because there’s no mention of how thick their pucks are supposed to average, they kind of get to dictate that so proving that is a whole difference wall of text and my only remaining complaint with the ordeal.

Sorry, anyways yes it does do better with wall vaporization than the DNail since It seems like if the oil makes it halfway up the DNail’s wall that taper is like a chute for oil to just slide out with the airflow from a cap pushing it around and around. Because of that the AT seems to have less splash for larger dabs that are about the size of the fattest part of the “Flexy” Dab Tool head and I’m guessing that’s cause of the flat topped walls instead of the tapered inner edge walls of the DNail. The AT is also 20.1mm Tall with the thin bottom so I’m gonna say that it’s for sure within the 20.5-21mm tall range for a 1st Quality old XL’s but I don’t know if that’s changed with the GR ones.

Personally, I’m really happy with it but again, it’s partially cause of the aesthetics and partial cause I was curious, just don’t let them convince you that any color is going to make even a noticeable difference in performance from a Clear Sapphire AT Insert would cause I bought into the whole “colors provide an extra layer for heat to pass thru before dispersing” from the Reddit Dab subs. Taking a step back I just don’t see the logic now behind that but maybe I’m wrong, I definitely won’t count that out but I personally just don’t think it’s anything more than Aesthetics to fit your rooms theme or color of your rig.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Just broke my 19mm ruby :(

Any idea where to get a replacement these days? This one was my baio.t one ... still have my 710gems faceted sapphire I really like, but really want to replace this as don't like not having a backup :(

@biohacker , what inserts are you using these days?

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Just broke my 19mm ruby :(

Any idea where to get a replacement these days? This one was my baio.t one ... still have my 710gems faceted sapphire I really like, but really want to replace this as don't like not having a backup :(

@biohacker , what inserts are you using these days?

Biohacker is taking an extended t-break, possibly retired from vaping.

That’s definitely a bummer with the broken insert!

Still using my 710gems over here as well, definitely don’t wanna break it as IDK if they are still in business either.

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
Wow this is pretty fucking crazy, out of 5 sites I just looked out for 25mm inserts all of them are out of stock aside from some ultra pricey D-Nail and Constant Gemstones sapphires. Greek Glass has some for 30mm which makes me laugh as my 30mm using ass is used to being the one without options. We are apparently in the middle of a insert drought and we've didn't even know it :ugh:

I'll start construction of a very dry fortress around my insert now :goon:

JCat

Accessory Maker
Wow this is pretty fucking crazy, out of 5 sites I just looked out for 25mm inserts all of them are out of stock aside from some ultra pricey D-Nail and Constant Gemstones sapphires. Greek Glass has some for 30mm which makes me laugh as my 30mm using ass is used to being the one without options. We are apparently in the middle of a insert drought and we've didn't even know it :ugh:

I'll start construction of a very dry fortress around my insert now :goon:
Can still get them from biao.t mlglass on DHgate … and also saw some on dabbingwarehouse.com that look interesting (but unfortunately dabbingwarehouse.com doesn’t ship to Canada)

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
it’s possible that Chinese New Year is causing inventory delays, but possibly other reasons too.

More than any specific brand Biohacker always preferred the heaviest, highest carat inserts for his torched cold starts which seemed to vary from each MFG. He switched to liquid live resin cartridges at the end of his concentrate run though.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I've been on the fence for a ruby insert.
What are the functional differences between faceted and not?

What do you look for when purchasing? I've found from $80- Up.

FlyingLow,

Dabberhashery

electrobubblerizer
I've had an interesting read through this thread and I think I'm set on chasing some cold start dreams with one of the ruby buckets from DHgate inside a 25mm OD quartz banger.

Will I need to take care of heating the banger with the ruby insert, I wondered if my two jet torch might be a bit much or could that help get a more even heat up?

Just putting together a setup, if anyone has any input I'm all ears!

Dabberhashery,

biohacker

I've had an interesting read through this thread and I think I'm set on chasing some cold start dreams with one of the ruby buckets from DHgate inside a 25mm OD quartz banger.

Will I need to take care of heating the banger with the ruby insert, I wondered if my two jet torch might be a bit much or could that help get a more even heat up?

Just putting together a setup, if anyone has any input I'm all ears!

Hey dude! It's been a few months, how did you make out? For the torch only get the Blazer big shot!!! 30s to ruby cold start dab heaven!

And I grabbed Biohackers before he switched to carts, I can't tell the difference (visually) between the two. I'm not sure what brand I grabbed from Biohacker though, I'm sure he had more than one, so take it for what it's worth lol

I think that one was a biao.t! lol thinking of trying a jcvap and volcanee ruby next!

Last edited:
biohacker,
Reactions: BigJr48

babunja

if you use lead oxide to make your sapphire via flux or there is lead glass fillers...not going to help you. lead concern was something other than the doping agents for ruby / saph.
nowadays everyone uses rubies, I would like to get them too but I'm still not sure about the safety, what were your conclusions. Then after 2 years? otherwise the boro balls remain

babunja,
Top Bottom