• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

horst

horsed
Just finished my first batch of concentrate ever and got a few questions.

Material was selfmade rosin with a hair straightener at 160°C and was inhaled in tiny amounts in a few ways. used it on top of the oilpad in the crafty, nailed it with the hammer through water, vaped it with a pen and finally mixed some with ejuice.

The high feels a little different to vaping flowers, I somewhat miss the cottonmouth and the body buzz seems to be weaker compared to vape flower at 185°C. But it seems to go wild in the head, somewhat hard to describe. Also the high seems to wear off quicker (maybe 1h compared to 2h with a flower bowl)

So is this kind of high typical for concentrates, typical for rosin exclusiv or a sign for doing something wrong in the process?
Does each concentrate has its own kind of high-signature or do they just differ in consistency, pureness and flavor?

horst,
Reactions: NorVape

Techmob

Good question, interested to know the answer as I have yet to try this but will be doing so, soon enough.

I only own vaporizers, da buddha, minivap, davinci.

Mainly designed for flowers and work great as such so I am looking at what device would be best to vaporize and not combust

Thanks

Material was selfmade rosin with a hair straightener at 160°C and was inhaled in tiny amounts in a few ways. used it on top of the oilpad in the crafty, nailed it with the hammer through water, vaped it with a pen and finally mixed some with ejuice.

The high feels a little different to vaping flowers, I somewhat miss the cottonmouth and the body buzz seems to be weaker compared to vape flower at 185°C. But it seems to go wild in the head, somewhat hard to describe. Also the high seems to wear off quicker (maybe 1h compared to 2h with a flower bowl)

So is this kind of high typical for concentrates, typical for rosin exclusiv or a sign for doing something wrong in the process?
Does each concentrate has its own kind of high-signature or do they just differ in consistency, pureness and flavor?

Techmob,

weenstoned

Personally I find doing dabs a lot more satisfying than vaporizing concentrates (though technically if your nail is the right temp you are vaporizing when you're doing dabs). Kind of sounds like your strain might be Sativa dominant as some concentrates (usually Indica dominants) definitely have a good body buzz. Would also explain the wild in the head feeling.

BlueTeam#11

The rosin technique was my first attempt at creating concentrates that would allow me to medicate using a pen style vaporizer. After a few succesful runs or presses of 15% yield (7 grams flower/.7 gram yield) residual plant matter left inside the oil I was able to extract has proven that this method (without winterization) is best served when the extracted oil is intended for use on the nail.
I am hoping that with my next run that I will be able to effectively winterize my pressed oil. The final product I am aiming for is an oil that can be diluted with EJ Mix and used inside a small cartomizer/clearomizer.

Edit: yield at 15% not .7 but 1.5 grams. This was mixed with 1.5 ML EJ mix and used in an aspire atty that worked well for one day before it became clogged.

BlueTeam#11

This is a double post I think but I wanted to know if anyone has found a good wax atomizer/mod for rosin...? I burned up a kiss 3.7 cart (ophos mod) with rosin dabs after unsuccessfully mixing EJ mix/rosin oil @ 1:1 ratio.

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
I finally got around to hooking up the PID thingy? (no temp probe so not sure it really is a PID) from my dead EZvape to a soldering iron. It works really well. I dont think it will push enough amps to run 2 irons though so I have another one with a 25a relay to play with next up.

Then I got some very deep 1/4" holes drilled in my stainless steel plates and have determined that I am either going to need smaller plates or much bigger soldering irons as it takes forever to heat up these 1/2" plates not to mention my big ass roller issue?. I may need to rethink some stuff here.

So for now I have hooked up my EZvape PID to my LSV and I no longer needing to fine tune the dial as this PID is adjustable from 52*f (lowest) to 500*f (highest) But basically I disregard the temp numbers because the LSV runs much much hotter than 500*f.. It just gives me a number to aim at and so far it seems consistent though. But maybe this is for another thread..

BlueTeam#11

I finally got around to hooking up the PID thingy? (no temp probe so not sure it really is a PID) from my dead EZvape to a soldering iron. It works really well. I dont think it will push enough amps to run 2 irons though so I have another one with a 25a relay to play with next up.

Then I got some very deep 1/4" holes drilled in my stainless steel plates and have determined that I am either going to need smaller plates or much bigger soldering irons as it takes forever to heat up these 1/2" plates not to mention my big ass roller issue?. I may need to rethink some stuff here.

So for now I have hooked up my EZvape PID to my LSV and I no longer needing to fine tune the dial as this PID is adjustable from 52*f (lowest) to 500*f (highest) But basically I disregard the temp numbers because the LSV runs much much hotter than 500*f.. It just gives me a number to aim at and so far it seems consistent though. But maybe this is for another thread..

You are so far ahead of me... I've read this entire thread a few times over and the tek you are using is potentially groundbreaking but the variables you are battling are mind boggling when I consider how stressful trying to attain a decent yeild with a hair straightener is....

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
If we can get the right parts together, I think it will take a lot of the variables out of it with help from accurate electronically controlled temps and repeatable pressures/time but ya for something I thought was an easy challenge, so far, it is kicking my ass. LOL.

horst

horsed
Personally I find doing dabs a lot more satisfying than vaporizing concentrates (though technically if your nail is the right temp you are vaporizing when you're doing dabs). Kind of sounds like your strain might be Sativa dominant as some concentrates (usually Indica dominants) definitely have a good body buzz. Would also explain the wild in the head feeling.

Thats the thing, vaping the same flowers unprocessed gives me a strong body buzz while dabbing the rosin on a nail with my hammer or vaping it in a dr dabber pen results in the heady high only.

Maybe I just need to double the dosage compared to vaping flowers, because there seems to remain a lot of content after the nugs are pressed with the rosin tech. Even with a good return of 15% the pressed nugs can deliver vaped afterwards.

And what about rosin compared to other concentrates effects wise, does every concentrate deliver the same type of high or are there differences between QWET, BHO, Rosin and CO2 Oils? Do they only differ in consistency and flavour or is the experience very differentiated?

GuyLeDuche

^ "Eat a bag of Dick's!"
Thats the thing, vaping the same flowers unprocessed gives me a strong body buzz while dabbing the rosin on a nail with my hammer or vaping it in a dr dabber pen results in the heady high only.

Maybe I just need to double the dosage compared to vaping flowers, because there seems to remain a lot of content after the nugs are pressed with the rosin tech. Even with a good return of 15% the pressed nugs can deliver vaped afterwards.

And what about rosin compared to other concentrates effects wise, does every concentrate deliver the same type of high or are there differences between QWET, BHO, Rosin and CO2 Oils? Do they only differ in consistency and flavour or is the experience very differentiated?

I think many of the differences can be attributed to the terpenes modulating effects. Different extraction methods leave behind various parts of the terpene profile, so the BHO may not taste like the bubble hash from the same strain. Here's a great Bubbleman vid where he and Horatio play around with dabbing 1 strain but modifying it with terps and getting wildly different effects.

ganjapharma

Seen this done with Kief, but here it is with FLOWER (and old dry flower at that)

Oil Slick pads, by far my Fav for collection (also dampens heat a bit)
Have used Parchment (tears)
and PTFE Oil Slick Sheets (ran out...cant get em locally)

heres the basics:

Dry herb, pressed into a ball

pressed into bubble bag pressing screeen

Squished with 300F hair Straightener

First Press

Second Press

Third Press

DAB-a-DAB-o SQUISH

very little residue on the nail

some other impressions:

I have used the Teabags from APE. My Main concerns are
1) micron size...they claim 90u but i have some 90u that looks much smaller. Also...I like the 25u screen, think it cleans it up better especially with KIEF
2) Environmental issues. I aint a hippie, but so far I have tossed around 50 teabags made of nylon into the landfill. I can see tens of thousands of these getting tossed every across the country. Gotta find something more re-usable

Bubble bag screens aint made of sunshine and pansies, so i have been trying to use every last spot on the one I have. after a dozen presses...have noticed tearing and got a plastic fiber in one o my dabs. not ok.

Oil Slick DUO pads, dont like being folded and squished (like i did in my pics) using TWO OIL SLICKS (they come 2 duos in a pack) is the secret to keeping them from cracking under repeated folding/squeezing.

GuyLeDuche

^ "Eat a bag of Dick's!"
Bubble bag screens aint made of sunshine and pansies, so i have been trying to use every last spot on the one I have. after a dozen presses...have noticed tearing and got a plastic fiber in one o my dabs. not ok.

Bubbleman says his screens are just trimmed out silk screen, even suggests saving cash by buying bulk silk screen from printshop suppliers...
Not tried this personally, but he did mention it in a vid, I believe Berfelo did as well

darkrom

Great Scott!
Screen free and pick out the debris with a dabber is the most eco friendly way. Its the way I'm going for, but admittedly its due to laziness since I only make small small batches for myself.

Would a simple thin 25-90u stainless steel screen work? Basically a new use for all of those blasting screens I'll never use again...

Last edited:

horst

horsed
I got 0.5 gram of unfiltered rosin left and wonder how to process it further to get rid of the impurities without ruining it.
Aynone tried to winterize rosin yet? Someone mentioned it would strip the taste completly, is it really just taste thats gets stripped or does it ruin the whole product?
What about filtering through fine SS mesh with a little heat, just to get the rosin flowing through, maybe helping with pressing with a silicon-sheet? Scared to try and finding my whole rosin collected in the screen without a chance to get it out again. Maybe dissolving it in ethanol and filtering without freezing will work, too?
Finest SS mesh I could get my hands on is 42micron, is it small enough for filtering the plant waxes out of the rosin or is it a waste of time without a mesh even finer?

Bouldorado

Some pics from the last couple runs...I stitched up some teabags from some 25ui screen and they've been working well:
uZLZEY7.jpg

Kief press done w/ @Silver420Surfer ....40% yield:
EAyeXIy.jpg

Mixed micron bubble press (25-90)...nearly 70% yield...Not sure if the teabag stitching failed or if it was just low quality bubble, but this stuff tastes awful:
OZ8sS7T.jpg

Edit: will add images later....not working out in mobile

Last edited:

phooka

I got 0.5 gram of unfiltered rosin left and wonder how to process it further to get rid of the impurities without ruining it.
Aynone tried to winterize rosin yet? Someone mentioned it would strip the taste completly, is it really just taste thats gets stripped or does it ruin the whole product?
What about filtering through fine SS mesh with a little heat, just to get the rosin flowing through, maybe helping with pressing with a silicon-sheet? Scared to try and finding my whole rosin collected in the screen without a chance to get it out again. Maybe dissolving it in ethanol and filtering without freezing will work, too?
Finest SS mesh I could get my hands on is 42micron, is it small enough for filtering the plant waxes out of the rosin or is it a waste of time without a mesh even finer?

dissolving and filtering will work, but i think that defeats the whole purpose of rosin tech.
winterizing would be overkill on .5 imo, but if you want plant waxes out its the best way.

cherryduck

Couldn't for the life of me get this to work. Hair straighteners on 160C, pressing between 3 - 10 seconds on various tests with flowers and I never get anything out. My stuff was definitely weaker when I smoked it though. Any advice?

cherryduck,

Putsy

I would guess your flowers must be really dry, if so you can put them in a jar and rip an end of a q-tip off, wet it and put it in to with your buds. Wait 16 hours to a day and it should moisten them up, I believe there might be some other tips further back in this thread to.

Putsy,
Reactions: mccheese

darkrom

Great Scott!
Couldn't for the life of me get this to work. Hair straighteners on 160C, pressing between 3 - 10 seconds on various tests with flowers and I never get anything out. My stuff was definitely weaker when I smoked it though. Any advice?

Not enough pressure. IME its always not enough pressure for beginners. You can't do it with your hands, you need your FULL bodyweight on it at least.

weenstoned

Tried doing presses with bubble and kief using stainless steel screens (50 micron I think) and oil slick pads, wasn't getting great yields. Got some new bubble today and just tried pressing in parchment. Got like 50% scraping the clean stuff around the edges. Then I scrape the rest back up and repress which left probably another 10-15% around the edges. Then rescrape the rest and press one final time. Scrape up most of the final press and throw away the final 10-15% that is dry. If you are concerned about a super clean nail you might not want to dab this final press (not a big concern for me). First press was super brittle shatter, second is more like normal shatter, and the final press was pretty waxy. I am sure those rosin tea bags are nice, but you might not need them.

Been Vapin

Fringe Class
Top Bottom