• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Wrt to my yield issues (oh, I'm so ashamed! LOL):

I will try to get better pics of the trichomes on the Pineapple Skunk but I can assure you that this is really very good vaping flower....but my pressing yields are still low...as you can see above, in the 13% range.

I've watched Bubbleman's vids (which I have to tell you, it ain't easy for me to watch too much of him) and his Where's My Bike strain 30% yields. In particular, it was apparently so sticky and gooey (the buds) that he picked up his scale by just sticking it to his finger. So, this brings up the point of what exactly makes bud dank and sticky. THC or....maybe plant waxes/fats/cell organelles/other stuff???.

Because, I don't really know anybody who has sent rosin out for testing so I don't really know what % of yield is THC and what is just other junk.

I doubt that Bubbleman's flower was over 30% THC...and I feel somewhat confident that he didn't squeeze out 30% yield of just THC so some percentage of his rosin is "other stuff". How much....dunno. What makes up the "other stuff", I dunno. But it can't be THC.

Wrt to the flower test results of my Pineapple Skunk....I have had two conversations with lead growers from two our our med cultivators and they both said that there is some difference between results from the three labs we have doing testing (and of course, all growers want to shop for the best test numbers). But what can the general magnitude of this difference between lab results be? I'm saying 10% and no more than 15%...otherwise I think the state would look into it and certainly one lab would get all of the work and the others will be sucking wind. So, let's just say 15% and let's deduct that from my 27% test results. So, I think its safe to say I have a min of 23% THC...but only a 13% yield (sigh).

So, I watched a LOT of vids. In particular, Pure Pressure did an experiment with two strains squished identically under different levels of RH wich is here:

They tested with Death Valley Cheese and Blueberry....both indicas I believe. Here is the THC amounts that they claim are in this flower:
Pure_Pressure_Humidy_vs_Yield_Testing_strain_test_results.jpg

Basically, 26%.

Then they show the yields that they got....and this is the manufacture using full up bags and all of the tech that they have....and the results were:

Pure_Pressure_Humidy_vs_Yield_Testing.jpg

Pretty low figures, note the 15% at 62% RH for the Cheese. So, again...I wonder exactly what is driving the yields up for Bubbleman and some others....THC or is it other sticky plant material that will also squish out and increase yield but not much else.

I feel certain that a lot of it is my source material....but I will also try increasing pressure some....and if that doesn't resolve it, then increase temp some but I'm afraid of getting too high of a temp and having oily sticky rosin that's hard to collect.

By the by, I did do a second squish on the puck....folded it over and squished the heck out of it again....and got another .032 g. Not much. And yes, I saved the puck and will try to vape it some and maybe even smoke it (oh, the horror...the horror...haha) and see what's left in there but I suspect not much.

This has been more difficult that I thought it would be....but the rosin I am getting is delicious, a beautiful color, and hits hard...I like it, just want more of it. LOL

So what am I (and apparently Pure Pressure) doing wrong?

So I have been pressing flower with a nice hair straightener that temp controls right to 180-230 where I want it. Plus an Irwin squeeze clamp. The first bud was some outdoor blue frost that was only pretty good, I got between 8 and 12%, ended up averaging 11% on that one.
Then I pulled out some stuff with no name, that wasn't good at all to me so I haven't done anything with it... Now I see why. It has little to no bag appeal, it smells a little like sour fruit but not dank. I see some hairs with heads, and some without. I got 5% on my first squish... the second I got 6%. Then I hit my little dab from 2 buds and put it up. It was much better than vaping that bud, but not worth the effort and I like tastier stuff than that.

Then I pulled out some Girls Scout Cookies that I had put up because it was nice and potent. I don't vape flower much at all anymore, maybe once a month. So my flower stays around for a while. This one is boveda packed at 62% and bam... yield was 26% off of this one, second squish, 24%! I squished a few more since this was nice rosin too. I ended up with 1.85g out of 7 grams. Definitely the best rosin yeild I have gotten from bud, not hash or keif.

Last I pressed some of that fire 4-star sour tangie bubble hash. I did 4, 1/2 gram squishes and got around 55% total, and I know this had actives left in it after squishing so I dropped the squished hash screen and all in everclear to get the rest out.

Yeah, @Baron23 If you have tested flower at 23%, I would want a 20-25% yield. luckily you can grind and extract your pucks right? I added my rosin chips to a big batch of RSO I made for edible capsules, but with a potential of 10% or more THC left in your pucks, Have you tried a very cold QWISO or QWET on them? Maybe grind them up, do a quick wash super cold and filter quickly with a 25 micron. Then you get your instant gratification solventless with your rosin presses, and still get all of your yields too. Get that other 10% out with a solvent extraction. That's the beauty of extracts, so much control via different solvents, times, and temps. If you want me to help you get set up with a setup to reclaim your alcohol, like the Source, but for $50 let me know and I will help you out getting a setup.
I found having several extraction methods at your disposal is the way to go. And when you start retrieving some of your solvents that makes things a lot cheaper too.

I just squished 2 grams of bubble hash, wasn't happy with the yields, so I washed 10 grams of it with alcohol like last time, except lowered my temps the first wash and did 2 washes.

I think with a proper press I would use this method of extracting more than I do now. Currently out of the 4 products I have on hand now only 1 gets a decent yield with a hair straightener. I think with a Nug Smasher or equivalent I would use this in conjunction with other methods for sure.

I was pressing for a year before I ever got over 10%. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong. Then, I got a strain that was good for pressing. Bingo, 20%+ the first press. LOL I still average closer to the 10-15% than I do the 20-25% that some get. But, it definitely seems to be strain specific from my experience.

I'm not entirely sure it means one pot is better than the other. Perhaps the oils are simply softer and press better. Who knows.

Also, color and clarity are strain specific. If you burn it too hot or too long, it will almost always be dark. But, if you do it right, some is dark and some is almost clear.

Any studies on which terpenes are what color? LOL

Baron23

So I have been pressing flower with a nice hair straightener that temp controls right to 180-230 where I want it. Plus an Irwin squeeze clamp. The first bud was some outdoor blue frost that was only pretty good, I got between 8 and 12%, ended up averaging 11% on that one.
Then I pulled out some stuff with no name, that wasn't good at all to me so I haven't done anything with it... Now I see why. It has little to no bag appeal, it smells a little like sour fruit but not dank. I see some hairs with heads, and some without. I got 5% on my first squish... the second I got 6%. Then I hit my little dab from 2 buds and put it up. It was much better than vaping that bud, but not worth the effort and I like tastier stuff than that.

Then I pulled out some Girls Scout Cookies that I had put up because it was nice and potent. I don't vape flower much at all anymore, maybe once a month. So my flower stays around for a while. This one is boveda packed at 62% and bam... yield was 26% off of this one, second squish, 24%! I squished a few more since this was nice rosin too. I ended up with 1.85g out of 7 grams. Definitely the best rosin yeild I have gotten from bud, not hash or keif.

Last I pressed some of that fire 4-star sour tangie bubble hash. I did 4, 1/2 gram squishes and got around 55% total, and I know this had actives left in it after squishing so I dropped the squished hash screen and all in everclear to get the rest out.

Yeah, @Baron23 If you have tested flower at 23%, I would want a 20-25% yield. luckily you can grind and extract your pucks right? I added my rosin chips to a big batch of RSO I made for edible capsules, but with a potential of 10% or more THC left in your pucks, Have you tried a very cold QWISO or QWET on them? Maybe grind them up, do a quick wash super cold and filter quickly with a 25 micron. Then you get your instant gratification solventless with your rosin presses, and still get all of your yields too. Get that other 10% out with a solvent extraction. That's the beauty of extracts, so much control via different solvents, times, and temps. If you want me to help you get set up with a setup to reclaim your alcohol, like the Source, but for $50 let me know and I will help you out getting a setup.
I found having several extraction methods at your disposal is the way to go. And when you start retrieving some of your solvents that makes things a lot cheaper too.

I just squished 2 grams of bubble hash, wasn't happy with the yields, so I washed 10 grams of it with alcohol like last time, except lowered my temps the first wash and did 2 washes.

I think with a proper press I would use this method of extracting more than I do now. Currently out of the 4 products I have on hand now only 1 gets a decent yield with a hair straightener. I think with a Nug Smasher or equivalent I would use this in conjunction with other methods for sure.
Hello my friend...I am now saving chips...I have one! hahaha

But yes, I'm saving them and I will def reach out to you about QWET when the time comes. I'm not at all sure I want to mess with ISO for anything I will dab as I don't have a vacuum purge oven nor what I believe to be the requisite skill set to make it safe.

But I am interested in what you had in mind for $50 that will perform like a Source. Care to share how to do that?

As for yields, well...the flower tests what it tests but I have had others tell me that they didn't get great yields from Pineapple Skunk in the past. Who knows. I just continue to believe that there is more than technique involved for those who get 30% yields and those like me in the low teens...and I really do think its strain and its still not at all clear to me that these higher yields are a result purely of extracting more THC and not a result of extracting more waxes and lipids.

But, I'm still going hard at it.

Thanks for the notes.

Last edited:

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
One of the nice things about washing the pucks with food grade high proof alcohol (I try and stay away from ISO completely as I can get 190 proof everclear locally), when you decarboxylate it in the oven it will purge any residual alcohol along with a majority of terpenes, etc. Great for edibles, tinctures, topicals, or anything non-dabbable IMO. If you would want to dab it I would suggest a lot more processing as the wash is going to grab a lot of unwanteds like chlorophyll and fats and lipids and such. Winterizing will help here, and also boost potency.

Baron23

Keep in mind that the THC result displayed in dispensaries are often inaccurate.

Yep, but in MD we have only a reasonably new and highly regulated med market now. We have three testing labs and I have been told by the head growers of two of our MD cultivators that the labs often do not match on numbers and that growers will shop for the highest figure they can get on the label.

But how much can the delta be really...this is state monitored testing. 10-15% difference between them? So, my 27% THC flower may only be 23% in reality...I should still hope to get better returns than I am, yeah?

roboticnightmares

Whats the highest temp you folks feel comfortable pressing with bags such as those offered by nugsmaher? I find i have to go up 230 sometimes to get everything thing in one squish. Any concerns with materials from the bags breaking down at higher temps?
I love the bottle tec for pressing by the way, actually starting to hit 20% with seven gram press on 3x3 plates.

Also, someone here has to have tried the “jar tech” after pressing, how is it going?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Whats the highest temp you folks feel comfortable pressing with bags such as those offered by nugsmaher? I find i have to go up 230 sometimes to get everything thing in one squish. Any concerns with materials from the bags breaking down at higher temps?
I love the bottle tec for pressing by the way, actually starting to hit 20% with seven gram press on 3x3 plates.

Also, someone here has to have tried the “jar tech” after pressing, how is it going?

I like to press at 220F, seems to give a good balance of yield and terps.

As for jar tech... I'm testing 5 CCells filled with rosin right now.

roboticnightmares

I like to press at 220F, seems to give a good balance of yield and terps.

As for jar tech... I'm testing 5 CCells filled with rosin right now.

Are you pressing fresher stuff or cured and aged stuff for the “jar tech”? I really hope you are able to bring the viscosity to where the rosin flows without additional thinners or atleast considerably less thinners. About how long did you have to leave your rosin jarred before you achieved the satisfactory viscosity? I understand you are probably still experimentung yourself, but any feedback is grealy appreciated.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Are you pressing fresher stuff or cured and aged stuff for the “jar tech”? I really hope you are able to bring the viscosity to where the rosin flows without additional thinners or atleast considerably less thinners. About how long did you have to leave your rosin jarred before you achieved the satisfactory viscosity? I understand you are probably still experimentung yourself, but any feedback is grealy appreciated.

I'm experimenting with some goopy hash rosin, I let it go for 24h on a candle warmer, it was running at room temp when I loaded the carts last night, zero dilution. The starting material was very sappy but it definitely wasn't that runny before jartech. I did heat it up to get it in the syringe though. I just think this particular hash is too dirty for these carts, some cleaner rosin would probably work a lot better. I've tried it once with flower and once with hash but I haven't gone any longer than 24h on either of them, I think I need to if I really want crystal growth. Although I honestly want the fully liquid sauce more than crystallization/separation.

I should have some really good material to press shortly where I can give it a truly proper go. If I can get solventless sauce that works in a cart reliably it's gonna be the end game for me, all the enails are going up for sale.

I've seen some people getting some very translucent looking sauces on Instagram. I did the same technique last year with a BHO experiment that I put under my lamp for a bit. I think you actually need to get the oil boiling for it to lighten up like that.

The flavor does seem to retain longer than regular pressed stuff, IDK, it seems to emulsify the flavors too so its not like one dab is stuff that sat on the plates the whole time, and another dab is the best stuff that dripped off right away. Still very early though.

Pyr0

Stoned Roses

Nylon has a working temperature of up to 120c or approx 248f

roboticnightmares

Although I honestly want the fully liquid sauce more than crystallization/separation.

Yes!!! Same here. Thats what im most interested in at the moment. I go through the work of growing my own flower that is absolutely clean. But then add terps whose providence is unknown. Sure i can take word from the sellers that it’s pesticide free, all natural, etc. In addition the couple terp flavors i tried , i dont particularly care for. They dont taste bad enough to be a deal breaker, but still woulf like to minimize their use. Currently i have to add about .25grams of terps to .5 gram of rosin to bring it to a viscosity that i can use in cart. If i can reduce the the need for terps by half for my ccell i will be over the moon excited.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
So that's just squished, sealed in a jar at room temp, then warmed?

:nod:

Yes!!! Same here. Thats what im most interested in at the moment. I go through the work of growing my own flower that is absolutely clean. But then add terps whose providence is unknown. Sure i can take word from the sellers that it’s pesticide free, all natural, etc. In addition the couple terp flavors i tried , i dont particularly care for. They dont taste bad enough to be a deal breaker, but still woulf like to minimize their use. Currently i have to add about .25grams of terps to .5 gram of rosin to bring it to a viscosity that i can use in cart. If i can reduce the the need for terps by half for my ccell i will be over the moon excited.

My goal is zero dilution. These CCells handle thick oils pretty well, it seems more about manipulating the rosin to the right consistency so that it wicks properly. I think the main goal is to eliminate stringiness/ that sappy texture that stretches endlessly like a piece of gooey cheese, I don't think that consistency wants to wick right, needs to be saucey where you stick a dabber in and all but a pinhead runs back off.

Baron23

Eureka! hahaha

Good squish tonight. Used the same Pineapple Skunk as I'm trying to determine effect of temp/pressure changes and want to keep strain constant. I have more and plan to continue to use this batch with different techniques which will eliminate the strain as a variable and let me see, hopefully, the effect of different settings.

So, squished a 1.92 g nug. Used a little bit of pre-press in mold but just with hand/weight pressure. Just flattened the nug out a bit prior to serious squishing.

I ran hotter...255 set point but the important value is measured temp and that was 221.4 F. Went up to 4k psi but only in the last 20 seconds or so...went up in pressure slowly.

For the first time, I had rosin oozing out onto the paper outside of the plates...very cool to watch.

Got back 20.3% on first weighing. Why note first weighing, you ask (or should! LOL). Well, over 15 minutes I noted that the net weight went down about .08 g. Doesn't sound like a lot but I only squished a couple of grams and pretty much any amount of loss is significant. I can only assume that coming off of the hot plates and after being collected it was still off gassing a bit...maybe? I weighed it a few times and it kept going down (and I have a very good three decimal place precision electronic scale...nice one and its calibrated).

Has anyone noted this before or do I just have an error (or slop) in my measuring technique???

I'm very happy. At 220 F, the rosin was just a little bit more brittle but easily collectable and didn't go flying off everywhere. But still perhaps a bit hot and I plan to repro this squish but with 210 F for measured temp.

Squish_Log_8_Sep18.jpg

This is what it looked like coming out of the press
Attachment_1.jpg

I collected it on Slick Sheet (collected, not pressed. I pressed with regular Reynolds Parchment) which I like very much for this purpose. This is the end result...just a little bit darker than at lower temps but not by much and I'm ok with the quality.

Attachment_2.jpg

Attachment_3.jpg

Stay up and keep squishing!

roboticnightmares

:nod:

My goal is zero dilution. These CCells handle thick oils pretty well, it seems more about manipulating the rosin to the right consistency so that it wicks properly. I think the main goal is to eliminate stringiness/ that sappy texture that stretches endlessly like a piece of gooey cheese, I don't think that consistency wants to wick right, needs to be saucey where you stick a dabber in and all but a pinhead runs back off.

Zero dilution would be the ideal. I wish you nothing but luck in achieving it. How is the first cart with just the rosin working out?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Zero dilution would be the ideal. I wish you nothing but luck in achieving it. How is the first cart with just the rosin working out?

Those carts are using the dirtier rosin, they aren't working great right now to be honest as the texture reverted back to a more sappy consistency. I should have tried a cart with the cleaner rosin I posted above but it all got dabbed lol.

Some are actually using the oven for the initial heat process, I think I might need higher temps to get the consistency I'm looking for. The jars I'm using aren't good as I can't see what's going on. Gonna try and get some bigger jars for the next go.

Top Bottom