Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

shredder

moisture and terpenes, mostly moisture with fresh flower IME.

I've read it's a combination of THCA (from low temp pressing) and terpenes. If mine doesn't butter right away, I kneed and stir it on a silicone pad warmed in my hand, until it does. Older well cured herb rarely butters tho. But I don't see a huge difference in vaping between the two.

mc

Do you all feel the mini nuggsmasher does a good job?
Are the round or square plates preferred?

I don't use mine often but someone on reddit was having a nightmare with issues and replacements on the XL version. So while I would normally promote them I can't at the moment until his issue is resolved. But for the record, my mini is still going strong.

2clicker

Observer
Do you all feel the mini nuggsmasher does a good job?
Are the round or square plates preferred?

seeing this post made me google nugsmasher. which brought me to amazon. i started reading reviews on it there and one of the users rated it low. he was disappointed that he was only getting 20% yields... lol. now i may have been away from the rosin pressing science for a min, but has that much changed that a 20% yield is a small return? wtf

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I've read it's a combination of THCA (from low temp pressing) and terpenes. If mine doesn't butter right away, I kneed and stir it on a silicone pad warmed in my hand, until it does. Older well cured herb rarely butters tho. But I don't see a huge difference in vaping between the two.
Water and terpenes. You ever seen THCa or CBDa that was oil? It's all crystallized because it's the acid form. Decarboxylate THCa or CBDa and you end up with oily oil. Not shattery. The older herbs don't like to budder because of the loss of terpenes and water content. The ratio of moisture/terpenes : cannabinoids is different than with fresh. At those higher ratios the terpenes act as solvents and become saturated or supersaturated, and then it crashes out. You see this really clearly with "sauce" extracts where the "diamonds" of cannabinoids are bigger, but buddering is the same thing on a really small scale. There are a few different variables that dictate formation and growth of the crystallized cannabinoid acids.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
seeing this post made me google nugsmasher. which brought me to amazon. i started reading reviews on it there and one of the users rated it low. he was disappointed that he was only getting 20% yields... lol. now i may have been away from the rosin pressing science for a min, but has that much changed that a 20% yield is a small return? wtf
Thats the problem with internet reviews, they are often written by ball bags that don't know shit.

Dangus

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
IMO the nugsmasher is a solid product. I got the round mini on amazon but it had misaligned plates and based on the size I already knew I wanted something bigger, so I did a quick return. Went with the lil and have been really enjoying it. Turns out I probably could have adjusted the plates, but I still knew I wanted to press 5-7 grams vs 2-3 at a time. Depending on how much you press at a time can help determine if the mini is right for you

MegaMan2k

So with all the new stuff that came to the market etc since the D-nail press was releases, would the D-nail still be a good buy?

Ive seen the D-nail press for sale in some european headshop and was considering to buy it now that i can finally get it here lol.

MegaMan2k,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Just pressed 1g of hybrid senegalese/afgani (but this one look more like Senegalese) at 110°C for 1mn and got a decent 15% yield (on the parchment) of a very clear rosin but so runny it was near impossible to get it off te parchment even after to freeze it, I was able to remove half of the rosin but the rest was all over the parchment so I wiped it with a coton bowl with ethanol and dryit for later.

My previous experiences with rosin from flowers (last year from dryer material) gave me always a shatter final product , this is one of my first press of the year and my bud is still slightly moist so this is maybe the reason.

The tiny amount I got on my dabber was loaded directly in my Trinity tank cause the perfect consistency... but it will mix with the rest sadly...

Please, do you have any trick to press this sort of flowers? (I though to press with a small angle to help rosin to run and collect all on the same spot .... although idk if this will work with the small amount I press with my hair iron)

edit: Is it possible to remove the chips, place another puck, and do it several time to get more to collect on the same parchment...., not sur if that's good for the first press to be heated again and again....

Last edited:

MegaMan2k

Ive experienced much difference from strain to strain, one can come out completely stable and then some other strain on same temp will come out sabby, depending on which strain your working with the trichome glands will react differently to the pressure and temp.

MegaMan2k,
Reactions: PPN

tepictoton

110C is to high and will always be a pain to collect because it gets too 'sappy' (for me personally not the kind of sappy I like)

Try lowering your temp at least 10 degrees...

tepictoton,

mc

live rosin (fresh flower) will often be like peanut butter and difficult to handle. however it will crumble out fairly quickly if you don't press it too hot. I wouldn't go over 190f.

Also if you get PTFE sheets you can do multiple presses on one sheet but it's not really required if you figure out your tech.

mc,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I have also found some strains are a lot worse in yielding than others.
And I found the lower the yield the tastier is the extract/rosin....maybe cause a low THC strain will get a higher terpènes/thc ratio...

PPN,

MegaMan2k

I found herbs with high level of terpenoids often gives me high yield, will surely have to be full of resin aswell.
like Amnesia Haze is allways spot on 25%+

MegaMan2k,

lazylightning

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Wow!
I have also found some strains are a lot worse in yielding than others. Your tech is looking solid, nice product!

I am curious, what made you decide to go 5* hotter on the dragon press?

I squished these strains at 4 different temps so the 5* hotter on the Dragon OG just yielded a few percent more than 200*.

@lazylightning last weekend we won third place at the homegrown cup in Holland with Agent Orange rosin

The pheno we used has this bitter orangy smell to it, lovely...

Edit: not getting the returns you are talking about, but then again we are using 90 micron filter bags and pressing at way lower temperatures...

I also squished Agent Orange at 160* for a 15% return. I just chose the 23% yield to post and IMO it tastes just as good as the lower heat. Love that bitter orange aroma and taste.

tepictoton

Taste is always subjectieve I guess, I personally do taste a difference.

Out of pure curiosity, and I guess a little bit of science mixed with alchemical love stories and more wizardry, I love pressing at that temp and using a 90 micron filter, and taking those 'losses' in order to obtain a, to my feeling, slightly different product. Be it in form, taste and or concistency.

Percentages have never said a lot to me if not taken into order the quality of the end product as well. Rosin percentages can definitely be higher then doing a run on the same material with solvents. 30% higher (then the same material run with solvents) is nothing unheard of.

Still, those percentages are higher, but for me personally, the quality does suffer.

With rosin, and I hope you might confirm this because only so little is still known about it, the higher temps lead to a more oily, runny extract that is more difficult to collect. It also does not turn to butter.

My preferred form of rosin is the one that will either butter right out, or turn into butter in no time. And to get to those higher percentages I feel we are sacrificing that process.

Still rosin is a fun form of science! Let's try figuring this one out together:science:

lazylightning

@tepictoton I fully agree with you that a taste difference is usually apparent between a rosin pressed at say 160F and 200F. That's why I usually do very low temp presses as well. I can't afford to only get 15% yield all the time so I also do higher temp presses around 190F - 200F. I savor the lower temp rosin and the higher temp stuff serves to make it more affordable. Sometimes there is a small enough difference in taste/effect between lower and higher temp rosin that I'll go ahead and press it all a bit higher for the extra yields. Every strain is a unique case and I'm always riding that line between flavor and affordability.

For me the higher temp rosin can be very easy to collect and use, but it doesn't budder up. I find about 180F to be a good middle range where my rosin budders up and tastes good but I still get a decent yield. Always testing...always learning.

tepictoton

Yes, strain, pheno, cultivator, medium, light source and so on. They all have a big influence.

And I fully understand you.

Higher temp product when cooled down is not that hard to collect, you are right. But sometimes you ride a thin line between a non collectable oily sticky stuff (high temp without cooling) and shattery, this stuff flies all over the place, stuff (high temp with cooling afterwards).

Still so much fun, uh science to be had Hihi

Edit:another science project might be rosin for edibles? My science tells me to do your science and you will have loads of fun, Euh, science:evil:

lazylightning

Edit:another science project might be rosin for edibles? My science tells me to do your science and you will have loads of fun, Euh, science:evil:

A couple weeks ago I took a quarter pound of rosin pucks and decarbed them before cooking in 2 cups of coconut oil at very low temp for a few hours. I was surprised how potent that oil turned out.

Now I'm thinking of trying ~300mg of Agent Orange rosin decarbed and dissolved in 2 squares of dark chocolate. I wonder if it'd be like an orange chocolate?

tepictoton

Hehe an orange squared chocolate you mean Hihi

That will be a nice science project for sure. Do make sure you take your time for these experiments and either keep enough food stuff around, or, close all the food stuff away lol

Edit: enough time means 8-10 hours, these projects tend to take a while

lazylightning

Hehe an orange squared chocolate you mean Hihi

That will be a nice science project for sure. Do make sure you take your time for these experiments and either keep enough food stuff around, or, close all the food stuff away lol

Edit: enough time means 8-10 hours, these projects tend to take a while

I've actually made medibles with BHO many times. I take a gram of BHO, place in a small silicone candy mold and decarb in the toaster oven at 250F for 25 minutes. Once it's decarbed I pop 3 squares of dark chocolate in with the BHO and melt for another couple minutes in the oven. Then just stir BHO and melted chocolate together in silicone mold and chill until solid.

I usually split this chocolate with my girlfriend so we each have at least 325mg of THC. I don't think I could stay up 8-10 hours after eating one of those :zzz:

Anyway, I'm thinking a slightly lower dose with fresh rosin would be interesting to try since I have a pretty good baseline of experience with the BHO chocolates. More sacrifices in the name of science...

tepictoton

Try skunkpharmresearch.com holy anointing oil recipe ;) still my favorite 'edible' recipe.

Back to rosin, I can see how one likes to find an average sweet spot so to speak, but I feel like every strain we be different in its own way.

lazylightning

Try skunkpharmresearch.com holy anointing oil recipe ;) still my favorite 'edible' recipe.

Back to rosin, I can see how one likes to find an average sweet spot so to speak, but I feel like every strain we be different in its own way.

I'll look up that recipe for sure. I've read a lot of articles on that site and respect their work.

I agree that you can't really find a sweet spot that works for all flower. For me it's more of a consistent starting place for that first squish to see where to go from there. The great thing is that I enjoy tasting a few different consistencies of rosin for each strain. It keeps things interesting and the variability of each strain provides an ongoing mystery. It's kind of addictive, almost like a slot machine when I'm pulling that rosin press lever...what will come out this time? :clap:

lazylightning,
Reactions: The Beagle
Top Bottom