• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Review/discussion on the Zeus Iceborn vaporizer accessory!

stressed

@Creeper - the first pic shows up but the other 2 don't!

the experiment continues! i went shopping today. :)
5w5fp.jpg

i'm going to work the crap out of the iceborn! :science:

i used it after a night in the freezer and it was a bit hard to draw on.

one time, it drew like there was barely any resistance at all. why i can't replicate that is beyond me.

Last edited:

stressed

i've spent the last 2 or 3 days using the iceborn with just water. i cleaned it today and the gunk is on the metal just like when i used ice. but this time it looks kind of orangeish and the stuff was sticky. the pole was sticky too but not as much as with the ice. i was almost tempted to dry it and try it but i didn't

339hhdz.jpg

2h5odo4.jpg

i didn't notice until after cleaning but the black piece leaning on the metal had a bunch of the gunk inside of it. i have no idea what the gunk is.

tomorrow i'm going to use 1/2 ice, 1/2 water. just for the hell of it. could the gunk be thc etc. ??

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Hmmm, disappointing news so far. I had heard so many positive things, though I've seen the clogging complaint a couple of times now.

If you freeze a hose in water in a little container like that I would think it was need to be the pvc kind, silicone would crack and snap wouldn't it? I have like 200ft of the pvc kind, maybe I'll try freezing some in a thing of water sometime.

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
i never heard of vapor honey. i'm assuming you mean the stuff in whips etc.

i have no idea if this stuff is that but it sounds reasonable. i'll scrape the stuff off and dry it and vape it next time. after all the shit i've inhaled, wtf. :)
My ha has that, I call it resin, and I just save it on some wax paper in a little tupperware until there is enough. I vape it on a wax pen coil, but depending on the vape some people just put it back on top of/in flower like the do other concentrates. For me the taste is really interesting, not amazing but good. I've never had concentrate that tastes like it. I wonder if different vapes produce different tasting resin/honey.....

farscaper

First off what are you talking about? I assumed you mean this I picked a random site to check it out.
http://vaporizera.com/zeus-iceborn.html
zeus-iceborn-working-mobile.jpg

It's a cup of frozen water with a downstem and a whip.

Will it work. Probably. I've used waterpieces that were stored in the freezer to cool vapor dry. I've vaped through ice cubes on an ice catch with no water and yup it cools.

So yea it should cool your vapor...

it's a plastic cup with a hose and aluminum downstem/ heatsink for $70 or more for extras.

LysergicHysteric

Editor-In-Chief of Vapelord.Reviews
I've tried it out before and currently own one it's kind of cool but nothing I would go out of my way for because honestly, it's inconvenient. It takes about 4 hours for the water to freeze thoroughly, and you'll get about an hour of usage before you need to refill and freeze it again.

Now here's my problem. There's a little silicone piece that vapor travels through before it goes in your whip, this little silicone piece will get completely clogged after three heavy vaping sessions, or after a single heavy dab session. Cleaning it isn't much of an issue, you just run it through a hot tap water, but it's still a lot of maintenance overall needed with the thing when compared to any of rigs which are cleaned after a few shakes with ISO.

Personally, I still think water pipes reign king regarding vapor filtration. I would recommend this personally to someone who's tried a lot of water pipes and is looking to experience something different.

whereskarlo

I've tried it out before and currently own one it's kind of cool but nothing I would go out of my way for because honestly, it's inconvenient. It takes about 4 hours for the water to freeze thoroughly, and you'll get about an hour of usage before you need to refill and freeze it again.

Now here's my problem. There's a little silicone piece that vapor travels through before it goes in your whip, this little silicone piece will get completely clogged after three heavy vaping sessions, or after a single heavy dab session. Cleaning it isn't much of an issue, you just run it through a hot tap water, but it's still a lot of maintenance overall needed with the thing when compared to any of rigs which are cleaned after a few shakes with ISO.

Personally, I still think water pipes reign king regarding vapor filtration. I would recommend this personally to someone who's tried a lot of water pipes and is looking to experience something different.

The problem with all that gunk is that it is probably full of THC. If people are cooling their vapor to the point of it sticking/clogging the tubes after only 3 sessions, it's probably about as efficient as smoking a joint with two cigarettes filters at the end. THC is said to make you cough, so I'd rather have a strong hit and not waste material than a smooth hit with half the material condensated as resin.

Gazaam

Great info. Thanks! I was just getting ready to buy one of these after it was highly recommended by Jonathan at Toronto Vaporizers. After reading all you guys' posts, I think I'll pass. I'll probably get a glass coil from a scientific supply house and try freezing that in a bed of ice. I am starting to wonder about that store. Are they trying to help or trying to capitalize?

I am not surprised by all the accumulated crud it makes. It is almost certainly cannabinoids. The Iceborn is probably too good to be true. When you think about it, one cannot expect that vapor generated at 200 degrees C can be cooled down to zero degrees C without anything condensing out. This would violate the basic laws of chemistry and physics. It is for sure true IMO that THC vapour makes you cough if you take too big a hit. I believe it condenses into an oil in your throat and bronchi just like it does in the Iceborn. So maybe the reason the Iceborn gives such mild hits is that much of the THC is condensing before it hits your mouth?

Myself, I am not into massive draws. I did that when I was a kid in a frat house. We used to have contests to see who could take the biggest draw (no doubt a modern day update to frat house beer guzzling contests)! Personally, I like to take more frequent small draws that do not make me cough. Hopefully I will not exhale any vapour at all. Remember that if you are smoking a concentrate, the vapor is pretty much pure thc and related cannabinoids. So why would I want to exhale that?

Reclaiming is an interesting idea. How do you do it? Do you just run some isopropyl through the tubes and then boil it down. I've never tried it but I do use laboratory grade ethanol and I find that THC is not all that soluble in it. It is probably a lot more soluble in methanol which is easy to get from a hardware store. When I have to clean gunky old pipes with lots of combustion products as well as cannabinoids in them, I use chloroform. A bit of a hassle to get it, but a tiny bit goes a long way because cannabinoids are highly soluble in it. If you use it to clean dirty vape equipment, you can put the used solvent in a small glass dish and evaporate it in an oven set to about 80 degrees C. It is highly vapable once the solvent has boiled off. You can also put the cleaned items in the oven and the heat will dry them completely very fast.

stephen33

The Ice born is a must have accessory with a few foibles that could be a source of frustration for the beginner.
The airflow is perfect when all factors work together. The condensation can obstruct the draw. Especially if it freezes. Test the side without the vaporizer to test the air pathway and if all's well then attach the vaporizer. Packing your botanicals too tight can restrict airflow too. A convection vape with a blower might ease the draw too. The Utilian 731 is said to play well with the Ice Born.Also under the cap make sure there is no blockage of ice or resin to obstruct the airway. The small vents or cuts in the upper rubber tube support must be kept open and clean to get the vapour directly to your lungs. Long cool draws are the norm and although some weed seems to generate bigger clouds than others. Put the ice born quickly back in the freezer as soon as your finished your session. That way you can enjoy it the rest of the day. Each time your draw is difficult take off the lid and check that the upper tube holder is free of yellow gunk and/or ice crystals by using a toothpick to clear the rubber slits in the tube holder. I shortened the long silicone whip and wrapped a short length ( about 3-4 inches) of electrical tape at the ends of the silicone tubes. This stiffens them and makes it easier to pop the tubes on and off the ice chamber if you don't want the ungainly tubes filling up the freezer and popping out like those springy snakes popping out of music boxes!

Cuthbert J Twillie

Senior High
Two thoughts come to mind:
1. You don't cough as much (or at all) because cooling diminishes the dose (condensation of vapor, laws of physics, etc). In other words your wasting medicine.

2. Regarding cooled water (bongs) to remove the harshness: Your lungs weren't designed to draw air through a water barrier. I had a nice bong hooked up to my E-Q, smoothed the hits for sure, but eventually I could feel it in my chest (musculature?). Regardless took off the
bong and the chest pains stopped. I still found my E-Q a bit harsh. I switched to an Arizer Air and found the hits much easier to take. And while I'm not quite as old as my avatar I've been enjoying the sacrament for 48 years.
For what it's worth.

Cuthbert J Twillie,
Reactions: Squiby

Creeper

deep in the matrix...
Just to update this thread I have disposed of the remnants of this unit a few months ago, it is so much easier to grab a water piece then to fiddle around with this unit. Toronto Vaporizer is still pushing this unit for $70 CDN which is ridiculous for what it is so my 2 cents save up for a water piece and use that instead you'll thank me later lol.

Zander

bought this device for 40$ cad. just filled it with water and put it in the freezer. I’ll try it out later tonight. :)

Zander,
Reactions: RobbIt

Zander

so I’ve been using the zeus iceborn with my vape for months now. I gotta say, I absolutely adore it. no more coughing, no more throat irritation, even on the hottest temperature setting. it is a tiny bit of an inconvenience assembling it and disassembling it every time you want to use it, but not that much of an inconvenience. it is important to keep the top tube washer clean as the little air holes inside it can easily get clogged up with resin as you use it. however, the rest of the inside doesn’t really accumulate a lot of resin which leads me to believe that not a lot of medicine is lost. I’ll sometimes smoke with my vape without the iceborn just to see if there’ll be a difference, if it’ll buzz me even more than with the iceborn, and I can honestly say both get me just as buzzed, only I might cough or get throat irritation without the iceborn.

strech

Saw this article so came here to check out the communities thoughts.

Interesting to say the least.

Zander

Saw this article so came here to check out the communities thoughts.

Interesting to say the least.

love that article/review! thanks for sharing!

Zander,
Reactions: RobbIt

RobbIt

Just to update this thread I have disposed of the remnants of this unit a few months ago, it is so much easier to grab a water piece then to fiddle around with this unit. Toronto Vaporizer is still pushing this unit for $70 CDN which is ridiculous for what it is so my 2 cents save up for a water piece and use that instead you'll thank me later lol.
I bought one 3 months ago. I’ve used it 3x. Good cooling but too finicky to use — hoses fall off and unit is difficult to close completely to prevent leaks. 😑

Slim0317

I recently ordered a utillian 420 and had planned to get the glass bubbler attachment since I filter nearly everything through water. Then I saw the iceborn and figured I'd trade the water for ice. I read what I think was someone's signature and they said they love diy guys but they choose to buy everything. I'm both. I like buying the nice stuff cause I like nice stuff. But I don't always have the funds to buy the nice stuff, so I figure it out. You can see where this is going. Yes I did and for me, I may still use water, but it's unlikely.

The sensation of cold smoke is as surprising as it is refreshing. I echo also that I'm not into monster rips. Though the ice allows me to take a larger hit than I normally would. And since I'm not coughing I actually get more of it. And I use all forms: flower, vape, concentrate, though once my 420 gets here combustion will be an antiquated method and no longer used as I intend to iso extract the now decarboxylated bud into butter. Spent a long time working as a bread baker and I like the idea of getting high on my weed twice as much as I like getting paid twice for the same job, or when my dispensary discounts make my final total less than my subtotal. I digress.

If I can figure out how to get this site to accept the link I'll post pictures. I was in the clearance aisle at Walmart and saw a heavy resistance band and since I have a habit of making bongs (did a double perc tower out of 4 smart water and 2 prescription pill bottles) I grabbed it. Took an old jar that some dispensary weed came in, a drill bit, 2 grommets from variety pack from Harbor Freight, and ice cubes. I run the tube into the jar nearly to the bottom so and the tube out to flush with the grommet. So unlike the iceborn, my vapor runs through and around the ice instead of across the top. Also I found that reusable ice cubes (something that freezes, wrapped in plastic, mine are shaped like fruits) are simpler and cleaner than ice cubes or crushed ice.

I've read people say that the high is no different, but I haven't had the same experience. I'm a long time, heavy use patient and I don't generally feel the psychoactive effects. I have been baked, like high school baked. Like eat all the ice cream and bake all the cookie dough pieces stoned since I began using ice. -Cheers

Slim0317,
Top Bottom