• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Recommendations for a Portable Convection/Hybrid Dry Herb Vaporizer?

oprahbeat3r

Any recommendations for a portable Convection or Hybrid Vaporizer?
The features I personally would love the most for a vaporizer would be:
  • Good Vapor Quality
  • Good Battery Life
  • Good Efficiency (could also satisfy up to 3-4 users but not required)
  • Able to Use While Charging (able to charge by a standard usb/c cable.)
  • Able to Adjust Temperature by Degree
  • Durable can Withstand Drops and Falls
  • Easy to Maintain and Clean
  • Palm Size or hand size
  • Price Range Preferably in the $100 - $200
Of course all Vaporizers are different and are not guaranteed to meet all those features, but I would still love to know your opinion on your favorite portable vape and why or any other vapes you'd recommend that would meet most of those features listed.

Me personally I've only owned previous Atmos vape pens that were garbage. My friend had a Pax 3 that I tried a couple of times and it was great I didnt like that you cant control the exact temperature and the price is a bit high for my liking, but hey you get what you pay for right.
I've also owned a Linx Gaia that I loved for the performance and temperature control and the stored away pick was pretty neat too. Maintenance was ok, it did require some effort to clean but very simple and straight forward for the most part. Unfortunately the Gaia was not durable enough for my clumsy self + a fall to a concrete sidewalk (hence the Durability feature on the list).

I unfortunately haven't had too much experience with dry herb vaporizers afterwards but I'm really interested in a couple of other vaporizers as a replacement for my Gaia but some have certain doubts on my mind which I'll put on the side, let me know if you disagree.

Zues Smite Plus - known to basically be a overpriced and slightly different version of the flowermate but love the design, battery life and efficiency, vapor quality is controversial but in my opinion looks at least decent and looks like it produces more vape than the flowermate vapes also maintenance looks simple, not sure on durability and I do not like the fact that it has a proprietary charger.

Boundless CFV - looks like a great vaporizer but also known to not produce as much vapor or very great vapor quality. Also it looks in my opinion a little more complex to clean, plus the new version of the vape the Boundless Tera is going to be released soon and that looks very interesting and like a complete overall improvement that I wouldn't mind paying the difference for.

DaVinci Portable Vaporizer - aka the one that looks like a walkie talkie. I love how durable this vape is and the adjustable temperature but vapor quality is debatable if not maybe leaning more towards the lower side. Also maintenance looks like a major pain along with a lifelong dependency on replacement screens.

So what vaporizers would you recommend?

Last edited:
oprahbeat3r,
Reactions: CarolKing

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
@oprahbeat3r welcome to FC! Can you share why you stress Convection or Hybrid? I guess what I am asking is, if the experience is one you really enjoy does it matter and if so why?

Have you considered a Dynavap VapCap?

Boundless CFV not dense enough clouds? If a handheld with battery like the CFV does not provide dense enough clouds would you consider the CFX?

Given your requirements and feedback on previous experience I would recommend budgeting a bit more and looking at the DaVinci IQ.

YaMon,

oprahbeat3r

@YaMon I would like convection cause I did realize the performance difference between the Atmos pens being conduction and the Linx Gaia being mostly convection. With the Atmos pens there was a much higher chance of the bud in the vaporizer being burnt. Convection would never combust the bud it would just make it extremely dry and you would definitely taste the difference between the bud when you first place it and by the time its AVB much sooner then a conduction vaporizer I feel. I also want to use the AVB afterwards and not have a chance of having burnt AVB.

I dont care for the vapcap or dynavape because they use a blowtorch and I would like a battery powered unit.

Last edited:
oprahbeat3r,

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
I would like convection cause I did realize the performance difference between the Atmos pens being conduction and the Linx Gaia being mostly convection. With the Atmos pens there was a much higher chance of the bud in the vaporizer being burnt. Convection would never combust the bud it would just make it extremely dry and you would definitely taste the difference between the bud when you first place it and by the time its AVB much sooner then a conduction vaporizer I feel. I also want to use the AVB afterwards and not have a chance of having burnt AVB.

I dont care for the vapcap or dynavape because they use a blowtorch and I would like a battery powered unit.

Is the Atmos pens to Linx Gaia a fare one. Pens have little space , which do not have the surface area of a vape like the Linx, although the Grasshopper comes to mind. That is in your price range.

A simple butane torch lighter works nicely with the VapCaps.

Have you processed AVB? I have burn spots on some of my AVB and I have a lot of convection vapes. I'd be interested in hearing how your doing that.

Edit: Apologies a little medicated

YaMon,

oprahbeat3r

@YaMon One day I hope to be medicated like you lol.
The chamber sizes were different but not really too much just mainly different on the conduction/convection aspect. I'm still debating on how I want to use the AVB, but I do not have any burnt pieces only very light to dark brown pieces from thoroughly vaped bud. It was collected from my Gaia. I've used some AVB on a piece of toast and peanut butter which was really nice and I would definitely recommend it but I would use a good amount of AVB for a good effect.

I also dont like the grasshopper cause it doesn't have temperature control. And I dont like the dynavape or vapcap cause you have to use a blowtorch, I would prefer a rechargable battery.

Last edited:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Tubo fits all requirements besides great battery life and small size.

Get the dual (or a tubo x and a 3 or 4 battery mod) and you've solved the battery life issue (and tbh the single is very do-able unless you compulsively vape).

I think we all want a vape that fits your requirements. Not here yet. Maybe by the end of 2018.

oprahbeat3r

@muunch wow thanks for the recommendation, the Tubo X looks good but you're definitely right on the bulkiness.

And yes I completely agree I think we're definitely gonna be waiting for a while I think it maybe even longer than 2018 but I'm very interested and optimistic to see the new vapes in 2018 especially the Boundless Tera.

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Any recommendations for a portable Convection or Hybrid Vaporizer?
The features I personally would love the most for a vaporizer would be:
  • Good Vapor Quality
  • Good Battery Life
  • Good Efficiency (could also satisfy up to 3-4 users but not required)
  • Able to Use While Charging (able to charge by a standard usb/c cable.)
  • Able to Adjust Temperature by Degree
  • Durable can Withstand Drops and Falls
  • Easy to Maintain and Clean
  • Palm Size or hand size
  • Price Range Preferably in the $100 - $200
Of course all Vaporizers are different and are not guaranteed to meet all those features, but I would still love to know your opinion on your favorite portable vape and why or any other vapes you'd recommend that would meet most of those features listed.

Me personally I've only owned previous Atmos vape pens that were garbage. My friend had a Pax 3 that I tried a couple of times and it was great I didnt like that you cant control the exact temperature and the price is a bit high for my liking, but hey you get what you pay for right.
I've also owned a Linx Gaia that I loved for the performance and temperature control and the stored away pick was pretty neat too. Maintenance was ok, it did require some effort to clean but very simple and straight forward for the most part. Unfortunately the Gaia was not durable enough for my clumsy self + a fall to a concrete sidewalk (hence the Durability feature on the list).

I unfortunately haven't had too much experience with dry herb vaporizers afterwards but I'm really interested in a couple of other vaporizers as a replacement for my Gaia but some have certain doubts on my mind which I'll put on the side, let me know if you disagree.

Zues Smite Plus - known to basically be a overpriced and slightly different version of the flowermate but love the design, battery life and efficiency, vapor quality is controversial but in my opinion looks at least decent and looks like it produces more vape than the flowermate vapes also maintenance looks simple, not sure on durability and I do not like the fact that it has a proprietary charger.

Boundless CFV - looks like a great vaporizer but also known to not produce as much vapor or very great vapor quality. Also it looks in my opinion a little more complex to clean, plus the new version of the vape the Boundless Tera is going to be released soon and that looks very interesting and like a complete overall improvement that I wouldn't mind paying the difference for.

DaVinci Portable Vaporizer - aka the one that looks like a walkie talkie. I love how durable this vape is and the adjustable temperature but vapor quality is debatable if not maybe leaning more towards the lower side. Also maintenance looks like a major pain along with a lifelong dependency on replacement screens.

So what vaporizers would you recommend?

Check out the thread here at FC regarding the FURY2....it's been suggested that it's the "BEST PORTABLE VAPORIZER OF 2017!"

It will check off many of your boxes for you!

:love::love::love::love:

oprahbeat3r

@Fat Freddy Yep Fury 2 looked like a really good vaporizer, only issues I could possibly see is battery life especially for multiple users and that you have to clean it thoroughly often. But love the size and simplicity.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I'm unsure your dream vape exists yet. Besides, using while charging is bad for the cell(s).

PS: OG DaVinci is full-on conduction by the way...

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
Grasshopper does have a temperature control, but no temperature readout.

You have mentioned needing a blowtorch to use a VapCap. When I hear blowtorch, this is a large torch which could be used for soldering pipes or browning your creme brûlée. For my Vapcaps I am I using pocketable butane torch lighters. Have you tried a VapCap?

Toast, peanut butter and ABV sounds good, but primitive compared to other options I have only just begun to investigate.

@muunch Tubo looks interesting.

@Boundless Vape Technology Tera is on my shortlist for new vapes in early 2018. @Fat Freddy’s recommendation for the Fury2 may be worth pursuing, I just have no firsthand experience with either.

oprahbeat3r

@KeroZen yep I dont think it exists yet either but thats why I wanted to make this post to run it by all the experts and the community of vaping just to see if anyone maybe found something interesting out there.
As far as using it while charging I dont expect to use it too much on the charger but there are some instances when I'm vaping with friends and the unit runs out of juice. I figured if I get a unit with interchangeable batteries I can just buy new batteries if they were to go bad and the DaVinci I was planning on making an exception for the conduction/convection feature until I saw the maintenance for that vape. Another one that looked promising but still not sure on is the Xmax Starry.

@YaMon For any vape that has temperature control I would expect it to have a temperature read out otherwise I would just call that a "Heat On-Demand" feature I guess. I haven't had the opportunity to try a Dynavape or a VapCap but regardless I wouldn't like it just because of the inconvenience for me to carry around a torch lighter too and yes thats exactly what I meant for the lighter not a blow torch lol, although I will say you now got me in the mood for a creme brûlée .
For a vape I would want a single piece unit or if it does have extra parts (mouthpiece, etc.) I would like it to be easily stored away and be made of materials that have a very low chance of breaking, hence the top pick so far would have to be the Zues Smite Plus but that proprietary charger and subpar performance according to some reviews make me a little weary of getting it

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Arizer has good products. You want to think long term, it’s an investment buying a vaporizer. Some folks have more money than others to spend.

I have the Solo II and 2 Solo OGs. I have the original Air but I don’t have the Air 2. That might fit your request. It’s a little expensive through Arizer but @PuffItUp will have it for less. Not sure if they are selling them yet? Check out the thread. There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm.

I love my Solo 2 but it’s bigger than what you want. It doesn’t have replaceable batteries but the battery is like a tank with 2 + hours initially of use before you have to charge it. The battery hasn’t hardly degraded for me. I bought it last summer.

I have the Grasshopper and I really like it but hopper Labs are still getting units back for multiple warranties here on FC. Not sure what the percentage is? It’s a gamble especially if you live elsewhere than the U.S if you have to send the unit back. The shipping fees are outlandish. It only cost me $3.50 to send mine back. Mine is working really great but I don’t use it all the tine. Not enough hours in a day.:D:leaf::2c:

Last edited:

YaMon

Vaping since 2010
Perhaps I’m missing something, where is the temperature readout on the Zeus Smite?

YaMon,
Reactions: ataxian

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
May I recommend you the "Project Eraser" then? Ticks all your boxes, excepted the use while charging part (but that depends on the mod you get, some might support it) Would be cheaper than any other recommendation you will get, excepted the VapCap. On-demand full convection, very sturdy with the silicone sleeve.

You can get good entry level mods for $20-30$ and the Eraser itself is under $50 IIRC. Add to that 4 cells at around $4-5 a pop to get you covered, and voila!

oprahbeat3r

@CarolKing yes the Arizer Solo 2 and Air 2 both look very appealing, just not crazy for the charger for the Solo 2 (would definitely prefer usb/c) and the overall size of the unit with the glass mouthpiece is a bit large for my liking but still good. The mouthpiece I did see you can get a wooden 3rd party mouthpiece to help with durability which is important.
Whats everyones opinion on the Arizer ArGO?
it looks really good and promising just not sure if its powerful enough for good vapor quality or long lasting battery but Arizer is a trusted brand name, definitely a very interesting option.

@YaMon It's the Zues Smite Plus not the first Smite.

@KeroZen I haven't seen that model yet, can you place a link for the description? I'm having difficulty finding it online.

oprahbeat3r,
Reactions: ataxian

oprahbeat3r

@invertedisdead lol completely understandable I figure if someone were to make a vape with all those features they might as well call it the "Omni-Vape" hopefully the name isn't taken :D

I'm interested to know though, what if you didn't have to purchase right away but in the near future? would you still pick the Fury 2 or Tubo?

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I'm interested to know though, what if you didn't have to purchase right away but in the near future? would you still pick the Fury 2 or Tubo?

I'd probably just buy an M and wait for the Haze Square to be released and see if it's a turd or not.

The price point and features they're claiming to offer are really quite good, but I'll wait for others opinions first.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
@invertedisdead lol completely understandable I figure if someone were to make a vape with all those features they might as well call it the "Omni-Vape" hopefully the name isn't taken :D

It's hard to say, depends on how near your future is :D always new stuff coming out. @supershredderdan ModPod is something I have my eyes on. http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/m...-concentrate-vaporizer-for-tc-box-mods.25010/

How high is your tolerance? How much herb do you vape in a day currently? I find it hard to suggest a vaporizer to anyone without knowing their usage patterns. Someone who takes a puff after work or vapes a or two bowl on Saturday has a lot different power requirements than someone who uses all day everyday dusk til dawn.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Bah that's the beauty of 510-based vapes, you can adjust the power to match your needs. For an elephant or for a mouse, or anything in between, the mod can do it. Plus with 18650's and easy access to tiny USB chargers or power banks, battery life is barely an issue anymore.

Just select conduction or convection, 18mm or 14mm stem system, dry herbs or concentrates, and you'll find a 510 attachment that matches your needs. You can even have more than one of them and swap them in a matter of seconds.

If you don't like the Project for some reason, check the iHeat, the Splinter, the Divine Tribe gear, or even build your own and join us in the BULLI thread. And yes, the ModPod soon too.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
@CarolKing yes the Arizer Solo 2 and Air 2 both look very appealing, just not crazy for the charger for the Solo 2 (would definitely prefer usb/c) and the overall size of the unit with the glass mouthpiece is a bit large for my liking but still good. The mouthpiece I did see you can get a wooden 3rd party mouthpiece to help with durability which is important.
Whats everyones opinion on the Arizer ArGO?
it looks really good and promising just not sure if its powerful enough for good vapor quality or long lasting battery but Arizer is a trusted brand name, definitely a very interesting option.

@YaMon It's the Zues Smite Plus not the first Smite.

@KeroZen I haven't seen that model yet, can you place a link for the description? I'm having difficulty finding it online.
I'm in decent mood for your benefit!

I have no ideal what you need?

If your a joint smoker and want to switch = M VAP CAP

Portable = DEPENDS = BLING or FUCTION = or BOTH

DESKTOP is same!

There is not a best vaporizer for anyone person!

What ever float's your pool toy?

oprahbeat3r

@invertedisdead I want to say I have a relatively high tolerance it usually doesn't take much for me to get high but to stay high is a different story, I would say I burn probably .5 - 1.5g daily depending on the day and I say burn cause I dont have a vaporizer at the moment. I would have maybe 3-5 sessions throughout the day with my Linx Gaia before and it could be +2 more sessions depending on if I had company too that night.

@KeroZen I haven't found that project yet lol I'm super new to this forum or ANY forum for that matter, regardless I've never made my own vape before and depending on the learning curve I'm not sure if I'd want to honestly. The Divine Tribe site looked nice but I had a box mod style vaporizer before for e-liquids and the attachments for dry herb kept breaking on me until I just decided to sell it off. I can't remember what the name of that vape was but it looks very similar to the Atmos I50TC. If there is a specific unit you'd recommend I'd love to know it though.

@ataxian it would be portable, and both but probably leaning more towards Function

Last edited:
oprahbeat3r,
Reactions: muunch
Top Bottom