Discontinued RBT Splinter (All Versions)

arb

Semi shaved ape
Properly dried wood should not be oozing sap especially in a vaporizer.
Another reason to get away from it as a manufacturer along with the tolerance issues.

LabPong

It is a Loctite® M-121HP™ Hysol® Medical Device Epoxy Adhesive (ISO 10993) (I pulled this from the old closed Splinter thread) but it doesn't really matter because it's only available in wholesale quantities.

Not true, I purchased a tube for about $26 online.

Last edited:
LabPong,
Reactions: Summer

MikeRotchHertz

This is sap that is released when the Splinter gets too hot. You can remove it by rubbing or scraping with something soft that won't mark the wood. You don't need to sand it, although that will work too. I used a plastic scraper. It's not anything added to the wood nor is it harmful.
That actually makes more sense that it is sap. It may have been irresponsible of me by not saying it was probably natural and safe. I was a little disappointed when mine did this because mine didn't just simply scrape off.

I never had this happen with my older splinters or milaanas. It may just be an overlooked characteristic of this wood type. Anyone else see it on other woods?

Not true, I purchased a tube for about $26 online.
Please, do share link

MikeRotchHertz,
Reactions: Summer

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
That actually makes more sense that it is sap. It may have been irresponsible of me by not saying it was probably natural and safe. I was a little disappointed when mine did this because mine didn't just simply scrape off.

I never had this happen with my older splinters or milaanas. It may just be an overlooked characteristic of this wood type. Anyone else see it on other woods?

It is a characteristic of bubinga. If you search Google for it, you'll see comments to the effect "If you are lucky enough to get a sample without sap pockets..." This wood is used to make tobacco pipes, but I don't know if oozing sap is a problem with them.

Jayvape

Oh okay, thanks everyone for the responses, I used a scraper to get the sap off and back to smooth again. Is this something I'm just gonna have to deal with in the future or can I put something on it so sap doesn't ooze out again? I was using it at 40 watts when it happened. Edit: Would getting a heat sink help also?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Oh okay, thanks everyone for the responses, I used a scraper to get the sap off and back to smooth again. Is this something I'm just gonna have to deal with in the future or can I put something on it so sap doesn't ooze out again? I was using it at 40 watts when it happened. Edit: Would getting a heat sink help also?

It shouldn't keep happening, others had posted about it in the old threads, and it eventually stopped, but yes it is caused by excessive high heat, so as long as you let it cool down a bit, you should be fine?

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: arb

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

I don't know about using a heat sink. It happened to mine a second time but it wasn't as bad, and it hasn't happened since.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
30% off Mi3 and FREE 2 Bay (first 10 orders) or single bay (next 10 orders) Efest battery charger with Code: reincarnation Noe through 7/26

@pakalolo please mark this thread "discontinued"

Done, but I want the record to show that I did it reluctantly. In my opinion the Splinter is an excellent device and I wish it hadn't been discontinued.

Summer

Long Island, NY
100% agree with pak. So weird to see the discontinued tag on this thread. :|

@RastaBuddhaTao, I would like to see you continue selling the 19/19mm long XLR8s & WPAs as there will always be a need due to glass breakage. I, like many, many others, expect to have my Splinters (& Mis) a very along time. I handle my 3 with the utmost respect.

Last edited:

jbm

100% agree with pak. So weird to see the discontinued tag on this thread.
That was a shock when I first saw it.

Super sad indeed! I tell you this though, I will buy any future product that Ryan puts a heater in. There’s just something So special about the mouthfeel and the vape signature in these splinters that I just can’t get out of any other device.
Me too. The efficiency and the flavor is unmatched. Plus they’re just beautifully made.

Sticky13

Thanks RBT for all your hard work and continued determination.

If only I could afford a few more Zee's. Theres still plenty of stock in europe + ww shipping.

Whats kind of life expectancy could we expect with the heat elements? Would be nice to have a couple spare.

Last edited:

Consolidated21

Mediterranean

If only I could afford a few more Zee's. Theres still plenty of stock in europe + ww shipping.

Whats kind of life expectancy could we expect with the heat elements? Would be nice to have a couple spare.
I am also from Europe and a fanboy of splinters - og and Z- . I need backups for sure, and i can't find them ( the Z's) nowhere except Vapefield.

Consolidated21,
Reactions: Sticky13

jbm

According to @RastaBuddhaTao, @khelek41girl has been provided with parts for in and out of warranty repairs. Who knows how long they'll last, but they are available. I'd like to thank Ryan as well. He's taken a lot of shit on this and other forums, but he has always been straight up and responsive with me.

Sticky13

I am also from Europe and a fanboy of splinters - og and Z- . I need backups for sure, and i can't find them ( the Z's) nowhere except Vapefield.

I think VF are the only guys holding stock. Havent used me Splinter in time, might have to see how that Milaana heater compares to the Z now days.

According to @RastaBuddhaTao, @khelek41girl has been provided with parts for in and out of warranty repairs. Who knows how long they'll last, but they are available. I'd like to thank Ryan as well. He's taken a lot of shit on this and other forums, but he has always been straight up and responsive with me.

Will give both a pm at some point see if they can provide a spare or 2 for us across the pond. Thanks.

Stonedbadger

I love my Splinter Z's! And I'll be Iooking forward to seeing what's next for RBT, but I do hope that this isn't the last of the splinter line! I'd go a bigger heater Ryan!!

Now I've ended up with a extra RX Gen3 with the latest Tubo firmware which I had hoped to use my Tetrax on, problem is the Tetrax is not connecting with it, however my splinter zs are....

So I am wondering what settings should I use on Tubo with the splinter z? Do I just change the resistance and lower the voltage? If so what is recommended??

Many thanks!

Top Bottom