Discontinued RBT Milaana 1, 2, 3

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
I have had a Milaana 3 HO version for a few weeks. Have not used it much because I have gotten sidetracked with Dynavap/Simrell combo.

I bought a few Molicel 18650 Batteries thinking they might be better than the recommended Samsung and LG which I also bought. I have been frustrated lately with the Molicel and was thinking something might be wrong with my Milaana 3? It just did not seem to be heating correctly with the Molicel.

I read a post here about the Samsung batteries and time to heat up. I have 14 of the 18650 batteries all charged. I pulled a Samsung and tried it in the Milaana 3! Wham!! Everything good again! I was shocked but encouraged.

Anyone else have experience with the Molicel batteries? I have a Nitecore charger and multi tester and the fully charged Molicel has the correct voltage. How can this be? Don’t understand why the Molicel won’t heat up properly. Does the group have any ideas.

I was very disappointed to learn Ryan was shutting down just after I made my purchase. The Milaana 3 is a very excellent unit. My only issue aside from this battery question is harshness of the vapor with the supplied short stems? I got a glass stem but it does not fit well and is a pain to clean. Also wondering if a longer wooden stem would help cool it? Not really interested in going the water route.
No problem with any of my 10 Molicel 26A's here, that's very odd, how many cells are giving you issues? Maybe clean the contacts on the Molicel cells with an eraser if there's something in the way? The dimpled cooling stems that RBT made work really well but if you can't find those then an adapter for a J-hook is another great option. The joint length is shorter (19mm) than standard 19mm joints (22mm or 26mm) so if you can't find one made for RBT devices you would need to dremel or cut a standard one down tonl length.

If you're stuck with a short straight stem then I would get a hold of some glass balls and secure them with basket screens. I added 4mm boro balls to a few of my stems and they make a big difference for cooling.
Whatup @WirtDog, sorry to hear those Molicels aren't doing what they should. I just got some VTC6 cells from Liion that are helping my Tinymight perform better than ever. I'll try them in a Milaana this weekend and let you know how they fare.

And I second @SquirrelMaster's recommendations for dimpled cooling stems and j-hooks. I have two custom j-hooks from Oregonglassblower.com that work well with the Milaana 3 since it's such a rapid extraction beast and I tend to take big hits. Prior to getting those I've sworn by the RBT XL8R stems, particularly the long ones.

WirtDog

Whatup @WirtDog, sorry to hear those Molicels aren't doing what they should. I just got some VTC6 cells from Liion that are helping my Tinymight perform better than ever. I'll try them in a Milaana this weekend and let you know how they fare.

And I second @SquirrelMaster's recommendations for dimpled cooling stems and j-hooks. I have two custom j-hooks from Oregonglassblower.com that work well with the Milaana 3 since it's such a rapid extraction beast and I tend to take big hits. Prior to getting those I've sworn by the RBT XL8R stems, particularly the long ones.

Think I have figured out part of the problem. Packing too much material and impeding air flow is giving perception battery is not up to snuff?

Going through a shift in mindset. Got a DynaVap Omni XL and quickly bought a Simrell XL stem and VapOven from UK? The Simrell XL and Dynavap tip and cap are deadly. This has changed my mind about conduction vs. convection. I really got the Dynavap as a lark but it extracts better than anything I have tried so far. With the battery powered VapOven it is easy to get very consistent results with ABV validation.

I have experience with Pax2 w all available accessories, OG Sticky Brick, current version of the Mighty, and a Dreamwood. Never thought I would move away from the Mighty but I need more than 410F. Never could get the “boost” mode to work.

So, I may need to set my Milaana 3 HO aside until I get tired of the Dynavap. I have just been shocked at how good it is!! I cannot seem to get the Milaana remotely close to the Simrell/Dynavap unit....

Hope I have not gone off topic? Just sharing my recent experience. Input welcomed..

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Think I have figured out part of the problem. Packing too much material and impeding air flow is giving perception battery is not up to snuff?

Going through a shift in mindset. Got a DynaVap Omni XL and quickly bought a Simrell XL stem and VapOven from UK? The Simrell XL and Dynavap tip and cap are deadly. This has changed my mind about conduction vs. convection. I really got the Dynavap as a lark but it extracts better than anything I have tried so far. With the battery powered VapOven it is easy to get very consistent results with ABV validation.

I have experience with Pax2 w all available accessories, OG Sticky Brick, current version of the Mighty, and a Dreamwood. Never thought I would move away from the Mighty but I need more than 410F. Never could get the “boost” mode to work.

So, I may need to set my Milaana 3 HO aside until I get tired of the Dynavap. I have just been shocked at how good it is!! I cannot seem to get the Milaana remotely close to the Simrell/Dynavap unit....

Hope I have not gone off topic? Just sharing my recent experience. Input welcomed..

I think I lost what the question was here, but there is essentially zero way to get Milaana to feel like a VapCap if that is what you are asking?? They are not really even remotely similar in design or the way they work...

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: arb

WirtDog

I think I lost what the question was here, but there is essentially zero way to get Milaana to feel like a VapCap if that is what you are asking?? They are not really even remotely similar in design or the way they work...

Sorry to be confusing. Realize the designs are very different. Just saying that the Dynavap/Simrell is a better, more efficient, and harder hitting vape. It is also nowhere near as harsh as the Milaana 3. I have always believed convection was superior and I was shocked at the Simrell XL.

I did go back and watch a few Milaana videos and I think I was babying it too much. You can ride the button within reason and produce pretty large clouds. Still harsh vapor. This is my first vape with this type of stem and basket design. I am using the factory short stem and basket that Ryan included in the last Milaana 3’s that he sold.

Before I got sidetracked by the Dynavap I thought the Milaana 3 HO might be the hot setup if I could find a longer stem that would fit well? I am not interested at this point in reverting to water cooling to resolve the harshness issue. Have not tried any longer wood stems yet.

I pulled the trigger on the Milaana 3 as a replacement for a current version of the Mighty. Loved the Mighty but now two years old, slower to heat up, and wanted more than 410F.

Shit Snacks

Sorry to be confusing. Realize the designs are very different. Just saying that the Dynavap/Simrell is a better, more efficient, and harder hitting vape. It is also nowhere near as harsh as the Milaana 3. I have always believed convection was superior and I was shocked at the Simrell XL.

I did go back and watch a few Milaana videos and I think I was babying it too much. You can ride the button within reason and produce pretty large clouds. Still harsh vapor. This is my first vape with this type of stem and basket design. I am using the factory short stem and basket that Ryan included in the last Milaana 3’s that he sold.

Before I got sidetracked by the Dynavap I thought the Milaana 3 HO might be the hot setup if I could find a longer stem that would fit well? I am not interested at this point in reverting to water cooling to resolve the harshness issue. Have not tried any longer wood stems yet.

I pulled the trigger on the Milaana 3 as a replacement for a current version of the Mighty. Loved the Mighty but now two years old, slower to heat up, and wanted more than 410F.

Yeah so of course better is completely subjective, but this sounds completely due to your technique, based on my expensive experience with pure convection and these vapes in particular... because another thing to consider, the Milaana is unregulated dependent on technique more so than others perhaps, though in general most pure convection on demand tends to have some manual aspect to it, though there are some now that are quite automatic and might be more to your liking... Another thing, you're never going to get really good with the Milaana if you are meanwhile relying on the DynaVap, since their technique is so different, so it helps to really commit to one vape if you want to really learn it to its full potential. Good luck, hope you don't give up!

Last edited:

SquirrelMaster

Just saying that the Dynavap/Simrell is a better, more efficient, and harder hitting vape. It is also nowhere near as harsh as the Milaana 3. I have always believed convection was superior and I was shocked at the Simrell XL.
You were not using the Milaana to it's full potential if you don't believe it can hit as hard (or harder). A single bowl killing hit especially in the Mi3 is very obtainable once you get the hang of the unregulated style. The Vortex has the advantage of the twisted titanium intercooler to disrupt airflow which works well given it's small size but a slightly longer vapor path works just as well and the Milaana's fully convection heating offers superior flavour. The XL8R stems cool the vapor really well and I recently added some 4mm boro balls to one of mine and the vapor is now even cooler. A Milaana is more fragile with glass parts that don't lock together but I reach for my Milaana way more than my Vortex.

WirtDog

You were not using the Milaana to it's full potential if you don't believe it can hit as hard (or harder). A single bowl killing hit especially in the Mi3 is very obtainable once you get the hang of the unregulated style. The Vortex has the advantage of the twisted titanium intercooler to disrupt airflow which works well given it's small size but a slightly longer vapor path works just as well and the Milaana's fully convection heating offers superior flavour. The XL8R stems cool the vapor really well and I recently added some 4mm boro balls to one of mine and the vapor is now even cooler. A Milaana is more fragile with glass parts that don't lock together but I reach for my Milaana way more than my Vortex.

I do agree that for best evaluation it makes sense to stick to one vape and work with it. I have not yet come remotely close to matching the Simrell based on ABV comparison. The Milaana looks more like the Mighty and is not extracting as thoroughly as the Simrell. That is what really got me thinking about conduction vs. convection again.

WirtDog,

SquirrelMaster

I do agree that for best evaluation it makes sense to stick to one vape and work with it. I have not yet come remotely close to matching the Simrell based on ABV comparison. The Milaana looks more like the Mighty and is not extracting as thoroughly as the Simrell. That is what really got me thinking about conduction vs. convection again.
The Milaana will be "harder" to get darker ABV if you're not accustomed to the device for sure. Convection ABV is always lighter in cooler unless you're taking it to a higher temperature and then you may be flirting with combustion. I've never combusted in my Milaana but in my 3 it wouldn't be hard, it runs hot.The Mighty is mostly conduction but there is some convection heating going on so it doesn't get dark as easily as the Dynavap but cooks very evenly. I give my RBT stems a stir nearly everytime I use them in comparison. I can get my Milaana ABV as dark as I want but there isn't a point as it extracts just as well and definitely tastes better imo with no conduction heating.

The Milaana is one of the best devices out there but I could see some being put off with having to learn the device. It's so worth it though, RBT products are amazing.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
See I dont really find the Milaana to have *too* steep of a learning curve. I didn't switch to it exclusively to learn, but even as my first unregluated on demand vape ever, it wasn't too hard. I've only used it a handful of times, but I've had no problems getting it to work effectively for me.

I have a couple of problem areas determining when the bud is cashed. The other day for example I had a great session with it. I thought it was cashed, but as I was unloading it I saw towards the back there was some dense, still sticky, but dark bud. Probably could have hit that once or twice more, I should have definitely stirred, but still. Once it gets to that level of darkness I worry about combusting anyway so I wasn't gonna put it back in and go again. Either way I think that issue is easily resolvable by stirring between hits.

That kind of leads me to the issue of getting that full extraction, but it takes you right up to that line of combustion. I'm just nervous getting to that point, I suppose I need to get over it lol. I've definitely been there so its not an issue but I get trigger shy and takes a lot more focus for that final bit of extraction without combusting.

Lastly not a device issue in the slightest, but just me and batteries. Just a bit of a pain to figure out battery level, how it effects the heater/trigger, when it needs to be charged, etc.

At the end of the day, I'm extremely happy with my Mi3. It's basically a "special occasion" vape for me right now. Not like birthdays and shit, but when I want to treat myself with something different for whatever reason...like its a sunday lol.

Kinick23

@WirtDog i didn’t start really using my MI’s until cooling options were a thing, I have throat sensitivity and found the vapor with a straight tube esp the stock was way too hot for me . One other suggestion that doesn’t comprise with water is from DDave mods.
Link below to the one currently available, 18mm is the right size. The one I picked up is basically same as the main piece in the photo but the joint was cut to fit right into the MI so you didn’t need to use more than 1 piece of glass. It does add a lil draw resistance but works surprisingly great at cooling the vapor . I actually opt for it over my XL8Rs most times bc I find it conditions the vapor more. You could always drop Dave an email and see what’s up.

GetLeft

The one I picked up is basically same as the main piece in the photo but the joint was cut to fit right into the MI so you didn’t need to use more than 1 piece of glass.

Great advice. You have the perfect mod. My @DDave mod requires an adapter so it's a little less streamlined but it brings out the best of my Mi's. At times you don't notice the vapor until your lungs pop. Then your brain shortly thereafter.

SquirrelMaster

@WirtDog i didn’t start really using my MI’s until cooling options were a thing, I have throat sensitivity and found the vapor with a straight tube esp the stock was way too hot for me . One other suggestion that doesn’t comprise with water is from DDave mods.
Link below to the one currently available, 18mm is the right size. The one I picked up is basically same as the main piece in the photo but the joint was cut to fit right into the MI so you didn’t need to use more than 1 piece of glass. It does add a lil draw resistance but works surprisingly great at cooling the vapor . I actually opt for it over my XL8Rs most times bc I find it conditions the vapor more. You could always drop Dave an email and see what’s up.

The straight stem is pretty harsh, I agree. The cooling stems make a big difference, balls add more and through water is the most comfortable way to use any vaporizer if possible.

SquirrelMaster,

Shit Snacks

It is easiest to learn the Milaana itself with a plain short stem however... But true at least a long stem would be better for trying to reach upper temps (and watching the vapor)

WirtDog

Excellent suggestion!! Thanks!! I will definitely look into these.

I am still a little confused about the correct size for the Milaana 3 since Ryan made changes from previous versions.

I am listening to feedback here and acting on your excellent suggestions. I have decided to give the Mi3 a more serious shot. As I said in a previous comment I think I was babying it too much. My first time with unregulated 18650 batteries and I was trying to be cautious with the button. If I am more aggressive and do not overload the screen I can get some impressive clouds.

Then, that brings me back to the harshness issue which this might help. I don’t have any problem with working to develop technique. I spent a year thinking the OG Sticky Brick would be my last vape but I got so tired of screwing with lighters that I set it aside and got a Mighty.

Thanks again for the suggestion! Please advise on size as I had thought 19/19 for Mi3? I will check out that website!!

Shit Snacks

I am still a little confused about the correct size for the Milaana 3 since Ryan made changes from previous versions.

I am listening to feedback here and acting on your excellent suggestions. I have decided to give the Mi3 a more serious shot. As I said in a previous comment I think I was babying it too much. My first time with unregulated 18650 batteries and I was trying to be cautious with the button. If I am more aggressive and do not overload the screen I can get some impressive clouds.

Then, that brings me back to the harshness issue which this might help. I don’t have any problem with working to develop technique. I spent a year thinking the OG Sticky Brick would be my last vape but I got so tired of screwing with lighters that I set it aside and got a Mighty.

Thanks again for the suggestion! Please advise on size as I had thought 19/19 for Mi3? I will check out that website!!

Yes Mi3 is 19/19 and glass size varies. There is no guarantee a ddave mod will fit a specific RBT vape anymore. And yes this is more similar to a stickybrick than a vapcap.

SquirrelMaster

That's good, it's a really good device! The Mi3 would be harder to learn than my 2 if it's an consolation. 19/19 is the joint size on the Mi3. Adapting to go through water is the best route but even through a J-hook or another dry piece will make a big difference.

As @Shit Snacks said, it's easiest to learn with a straight short tube.

arb

Semi shaved ape
That's good, it's a really good device! The Mi3 would be harder to learn than my 2 if it's an consolation. 19/19 is the joint size on the Mi3. Adapting to go through water is the best route but even through a J-hook or another dry piece will make a big difference.

As @Shit Snacks said, it's easiest to learn with a straight short tube.
I picked it up fast on a clear glass piece.
Seeing the vapor was way easier to pick up on for me than feeling it.
🐸

SquirrelMaster

I picked it up fast on a clear glass piece.
Seeing the vapor was way easier to pick up on for me than feeling it.
🐸
I completely agree, visual is much easier for me as well. That's what I liked about the J-hook (until I smashed mine), you can very easily see everything going on. Sometimes I can't tell if I'm getting a blast of intense vapor or the start of combustion.

WirtDog

Yes Mi3 is 19/19 and glass size varies. There is no guarantee a ddave mod will fit a specific RBT vape anymore. And yes this is more similar to a stickybrick than a vapcap.

Sent him a message asking if he has anything that works for Mi3? Can not recall why Ryan made that change and it is not in notes I saved from one of his posts. I was initially really hot for this vape and was thinking the only problem to solve was the harshness of the supplied short stems. I liked the simplicity, fast heat up, convection, and swapable batteries. Wish he had included a long stem that would have fit correctly. Agree with comment about it being beneficial to see vapor like Sticky Brick OG.

WirtDog,

SquirrelMaster

Sent him a message asking if he has anything that works for Mi3? Can not recall why Ryan made that change and it is not in notes I saved from one of his posts. I was initially really hot for this vape and was thinking the only problem to solve was the harshness of the supplied short stems. I liked the simplicity, fast heat up, convection, and swapable batteries. Wish he had included a long stem that would have fit correctly. Agree with comment about it being beneficial to see vapor like Sticky Brick OG.
If you can't find another stem or at least immediately get ahold of some glass balls to put in your short stem. If you're in the US they're very easy to find. I use 4mm boro but 6mm would work good and there's a listing on Ebay I'm pretty sure. You don't need many, you keep it a little loose but the added cooling is well worth it.

Shit Snacks

Ryan switched to the 19/19 glass, bc 19/22 was already sort of specialized, and it was to make the splinter and Mi3 more compact, Mi3 benefits from following the splinter as it has super thick clear custom 19/19 glass. It is unfortunate that it is not so easy to find these stems now, but I know glass workers like Oregon glass blower can cut down 19 mm joint lengths so they will fit... That could be a solution for getting a WPA to use with a j hook, though I will say that some 19/22 stems could fit Mi3, I have one that does, but most others do not... Since yeah glass in general is just so variable regardless!

Another thing to try for cooling, is putting hemp fiber in a plain stem, we used to do that before the cooling stems became a thing... Also you can try using just a bit of silicone to adapt anything, then you could probably even use the mouthpiece from the front with the Milaana, for a great cooling and visibility... Those options are at least cheaper than getting custom glass pieces made or testing random adapters.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
This guy has some things you may be interested in. The vapes shown are all out of stock, but the water adapters AND the xl8r long look to be in stock. The short one works great for me, so I think the long one would probably cool even better.
Prices are in Canadian dollars (=less in USD); I am confident he ships to US.

When I first read of your issues (thinking you had over-packed, not getting good vapor, etc.) it occurred to me that you may have a unit with the faulty/intermittent switch, but that does not seem to be the case? just a matter of dialing it in?

I was very happy with a Splinter V1 using straight "power mode" on the mod and so I thought the Mi3 would be a terrific addition. When it arrived, I had a lot of trouble getting used to it, finally managed to start enjoying, but then I suss'd out temp control mode for the Splinter. There's a lot to be said in favor of regulation in vapes; I don't have to pay quite such close attention while vaping, and that's one thing that tends to slide as you proceed through a bowl or two...
I don't mean to talk down the Mi3 too much -- I think you should stick with it, it's hard to beat the flavor/performance from these RBT products.

Top Bottom