florduh

ending of Dune went crazy!

GHpG_N0WsAAvkv4

ChooChooCharlie

Random viewing, then obsession

When I visited a gallery to buy two Tom Marosz pieces, I saw his new "Neo Face"

sort of a glass surrealist painting, haven't seen any glass like this

Making room in my tiny apt, Tom will deliver the heavy bugger next week

I asked about his name for the piece, Neo Face. I assumed either Neo as in "new face," or a nod to the Matrix. Nope. It's Neo as in Neodymium

Neodymium glass, over an inch thick, concave face in back with 24K gold, illusion of protruding face from front. Borrowed these pics from gallery, and they don't depict light purplish color or translucence well

Tom said he's creating a similar piece for this year's ComicCon here in SD, a Vulcan V hand in/of a glass panel

Marosz-Neo-Face-front.jpg

Marosz-Neo-Face-back.jpg

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
So Nikki Haley stepping out of the race this early has created a serious problem for us that we have to address. That is that traditionally the nominees, once they have cemented their position, get access to classified national security information. However, at this moment, one of the candidates for president has 37 felony counts regarding mishandling of classified documents in a criminal case that is pending. We obviously can't give him access to classified documents. It is not a law that requires giving him access, it is policy and tradition that makes sense for virtually any other candidate for President up til this point. Biden took away Trump's access to classified documents due to his mishandling of them and his refusing to acknowledge his loss after Biden became President. It would be totally insane to give it back to him now, at least until that case is decided. So right there is a reason that trump might want the Mara Lago case to go ahead. (yeah, right)

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I'm not in New York, so I don't know what this experience is like, what the crime is like, and what other alternatives to this approach there might be, but I can't help but wonder if you actually think the right answer is to just let the violence continue and continue to escalate...

florduh

I'm not in New York, so I don't know what this experience is like, what the crime is like
Crime is lower today in NYC than it has been for like 99% of your life. If there weren't soldiers occupying the city in the 70's, 80's, 90's, or early 00's there shouldn't be a need now.

but I can't help but wonder if you actually think the right answer is to just let the violence continue and continue to escalate...

No. My solution to crime is to ensure every citizen's basic needs (including mental healthcare) are met. That will actually lower the crime rate. The Liberal solution is...what? To have guys with machine guns violating the civil rights of every subway rider? All while talking about our freedumb?

Cops don't prevent crime. They solve crime after the fact (sometimes). If more police, or better armed police prevented crime, there would be zero crime in America.

Most of the current crime hysteria around cities is because of the rise in homelessness. Seeing the homeless makes people feel less safe. Well...seeing guys in fatigues with their fingers on machine gun triggers patrolling train stations makes me feel less safe :shrug:.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
No. My solution to crime is to ensure every citizen's basic needs (including mental healthcare) are met. That will actually lower the crime rate. The Liberal solution is...what? To have guys with machine guns violating the civil rights of every subway rider? All while talking about our freedumb?
Unfortunately, your idea doesn't seem to be getting enough traction.

Would you say, in today's world, should we be doing security checks for people boarding a plane? A cruise ship?
How about an underground train, in the wake of a series of violent crimes?
Two of my grand daughters ride those NYC subways to school every day. They are not prepared to disarm a violent situation coming at them.
I'm guessing their parents are driving them to school this week...but soon there will be a stiff toll just to bring a vehicle into downtown at all.

How about, instead of checking backpacks, we send an army of psychiatrists down in the subway?

You are exaggerating about the Liberal solution, not sure what is inferred by capitalization? They all do this police shit. Just accentuating a label, seems to me. You are confounding an immediate safety concern with long-range policy needs.

I have to agree that I am not happy with this police state development. The answers, as you know, are in education and attitude, and those are too often at odds with the capitalist Darwinian imperatives.

We are living a very slow crawl; the crumbling of our system under its' own weight. Every so often I recall knowing this in the 1970's and I just have to remind myself, this is what it looks like in real time. There is a lot to be worried about.
Freedumb, indeed, is the trend.

florduh

Would you say, in today's world, should we be doing security checks for people boarding a plane? A cruise ship?

I certainly don't want the full TSA experience when commuting to work in the morning or going to the doctor's office, no. And even then, at the airport I don't have the entire cast of Black Hawk Down with live ammunition hovering over me while I stand around in my socks.

Two of my grand daughters ride those NYC subways to school every day. They are not prepared to disarm a violent situation coming at them.

I sympathize, but I remember looking up what caused this debacle. Apparently there have been 380 total crimes on the subway this year. Which is a big uptick from last year (a historic low). But there are 3.2 million subway riders every day. My guess is, you have more of a risk of getting in a life changing accident every time you drive your car than being the victim of a crime on the subway.

You are exaggerating about the Liberal solution, not sure what is inferred by capitalization?

I'm differentiating Liberals from Progressives or Leftists. We're in an election year. Hochul giving in to the Right's dishonest framing on crime by doing this bit of security theater is really dumb, imo. Just like Biden buying in to the Right's framing on "illegals". Bad policy and bad politics.

Joseph Stalin was wrong about a lot of things. But after watching Hochul send the army into NYC, and Biden begging Trump to help him pass a MAGA immigration bill... I gotta wonder if Stalin's assertion that "Liberalism is the polite wing of Fascism" has some truth to it.

We are living a very slow crawl; the crumbling of our system under its' own weight. Every so often I recall knowing this in the 1970's and I just have to remind myself, this is what it looks like in real time. There is a lot to be worried about.
Freedumb, indeed, is the trend.

I completely agree. It's frustrating because there are very straightforward solutions to all of these problems. But those solutions would slightly inconvenience rich people. And rich people own the media most voters get their opinions from, so we're not going to solve those problems.

florduh,
Reactions: vapirtoo

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I certainly don't want the full TSA experience when commuting to work in the morning or going to the doctor's office, no. And even then, at the airport I don't have the entire cast of Black Hawk Down with live ammunition hovering over me while I stand around in my socks.
Go back in time and block the Patriot Act from passage.
At the airport, the live ammo aspect is simply more refined and discrete than in this clumsy subway routine.

florduh

Go back in time and block the Patriot Act from passage.
At the airport, the live ammo aspect is simply more refined and discrete than in this clumsy subway routine.

That's true. But all of this is security theater. Even Hochul said something like, "people don't care about statistics. They don't FEEL safe." Well. Seeing a bunch of guys brandishing machine guns doesn't make me feel safe at all.

When the NYPD starts shooting, they hit their target about 30% of the time. I wonder how much time on the range National Guard troops have? More or less than active-duty NYPD?

florduh,
Reactions: vapirtoo

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Oh, don't forget the DDT!

I'm posting this random article about people being sprayed with DDT in the 40's.
In the 50's, they came around our Long Island neighborhood and sprayed everything regularly.
We kids would follow the Fog Man all around on our bikes, riding in and out of the clouds coming off the back of a Jeep.
What a good time we all had back then!

(Note, there are claims that DDT did help wipe out polio and reduce malaria in some Third World countries...)

Last edited:

florduh

This dude's smarter than most of Congress and the President.

If you live in Ohio or something...what the fuck is the "Chinese CCP" gonna do to you exactly? No one has ever been able to explain this to me.

The only government that can do anything to you if you live in Ohio is the American Government. Meta, Facebook, Twitter, Google...they all share user data with the US Government, for free. I'd be more concerned with that than the dreaded CCP.

ChooChooCharlie

Rather detailed date with Tom Marosz signature:

Marosz-sig-with-date-on-Neo-Face.jpg

I think I know why he added 3/11/24. When I purchased from gallery last week, I noticed a tiny section of surface imperfections, only from a certain angle. Mentioned it to Tom over phone while there, and he said it would take a day to "cold work" polish entire surface, not just that section. Barely visible, I said screw it, love the piece, paid

He didn't say anything about it during delivery. I looked closely after he left. Prior imperfections are gone. Then I saw the signature and date. He must have polished it over the weekend, then dated

Now I feel like an ocd dick

BTW, in video above, did you see the spinning gold face on back as concave or convex?

If you saw only the actual concave hollow face, then you're either ill or very high. But, I'm both of those, and I saw the illusion as convex, so sounds like a crock to me:

hollow-face-illusion-text.jpg

ChooChooCharlie,
Reactions: Cheebsy
Top Bottom