Random thoughts

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
Check my math.

If the next variant of Covid had a mutation which caused severe illness of anyone not vaccinated with a MRNA shot resulting in a 40% death rate of those infected,,,,

would it take one election cycle to eliminate the retrumplican party, or two?

follow up question. Anyone know how to bioengineer a virus?

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
2Vu2Wh0HoTGMm1pwSUUFToE5FWI

ChooChooCharlie

Random reflection upon aging ...
after attending what appeared to be an AARP convention tonight at the Rady Shell

Ian Anderson and the current incarnation of Jethro Tull on their Seven Decades tour. Saw them first in '75 at MSG, different crowd. Think his guitarist and drummer were the youngest at this venue. Great viewing but piss poor seats for listening, second row of tables up front. None of us needed our hearing aids tonight
Tull-at-Rady-Shell.jpg

"Old Charlie stole the handle
And the train it won't stop
Oh no way to slow down"
(But, my Freight Train morphed into a Terp Hammer)

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Each succeeding generation has their musical heros. Although musically I'm stuck in Boomer music, I recognise Taylor Swift's immense popularity and Hit Chart hits. I respect her talent, even if I couldn't name a song. Kind of reminds me of having to explain the Beatles to my parents steeped in Frank Sinatra and Chet Atkins. I still remember playing "WHEN I'M 64" to them and remarking, "See, this is more than just noise."

Last edited:

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Each succeeding generation has their musical heros. Although musically I'm stuck in Boomer music, I recognise Taylor Swift's immense popularity and Hit Chart hits. I respect her talent, even if I couldn't name a song. Kind of reminds me of having to explain the Beatles to my parents steeped in Frank Sinatra and Chet Atkins.
My parents were more into Harry Belefonte, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, and Nina Simone. I would probably choose that over the Beatles these days too. 😄

As you said, people often get attached to the music of their youth.

Of course, if I really want to get I trouble here I should share my thoughts on the Grateful Dead. I saw them dozens of times while Jerry was still living. I would make different choices now.

coolbreeze

“In a traditional German toilet, the hole into which shit disappears after we flush is right at the front, so that shit is first laid out for us to sniff and inspect for traces of illness. In the typical French toilet, on the contrary, the hole is at the back, i.e. shit is supposed to disappear as quickly as possible. Finally, the American (Anglo-Saxon) toilet presents a synthesis, a mediation between these opposites: the toilet basin is full of water, so that the shit floats in it, visible, but not to be inspected. [...] It is clear that none of these versions can be accounted for in purely utilitarian terms: each involves a certain ideological perception of how the subject should relate to excrement. Hegel was among the first to see in the geographical triad of Germany, France and England an expression of three different existential attitudes: reflective thoroughness (German), revolutionary hastiness (French), utilitarian pragmatism (English). In political terms, this triad can be read as German conservatism, French revolutionary radicalism and English liberalism. [...] The point about toilets is that they enable us not only to discern this triad in the most intimate domain, but also to identify its underlying mechanism in the three different attitudes towards excremental excess: an ambiguous contemplative fascination; a wish to get rid of it as fast as possible; a pragmatic decision to treat it as ordinary and dispose of it in an appropriate way. It is easy for an academic at a round table to claim that we live in a post-ideological universe, but the moment he visits the lavatory after the heated discussion, he is again knee-deep in ideology.”
― Slavoj Žižek, The Plague of Fantasies
This thought has been swirling in the tidy bowl of my mind...

Vitolo

Vaporist
I have listened to Tull dozens of times, owned albums, can sing along.
Same here.
My parents were more into Harry Belefonte, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, and Nina Simone. I would probably choose that over the Beatles these days too.
I love Belafonte and the others also... I listen to The Beatles daily too though!

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Pretty sure that's Billy Idol :lol:,
Ha, and that's not the cast from 'The Goonies' either...:
(and the 3 girls in the meme above the Billy Idol meme aren't going to a "concert" :tup:)

Top Bottom