Random thoughts

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
"A friend recently said they were depressed once (following some difficult life events) and I was briefly speechless from the shock of realizing some people experience depression as like, an isolated event, as opposed to a lifelong companion."

^ That was an interesting realization to have come to a few years ago. It helped me a lot. Just knowing that many people don't experience that feeling all the time certainly helped in understanding myself better.

Last edited:

Vitolo

Vaporist
Sometime in the late 40’s, before either man was famous, Frank Sinatra appeared in a theater in New York. After his show he went to Harlem to see the Will Maston Trio led by a young Sammy Davis Jr. Frank is blown away by Sammy’s talent and after the show he asks Sammy to come see his show.
A week goes by. No Sammy. Sinatra goes back to Harlem to see the Will Maston Trio again and asks Sammy why he didn’t show. Sammy said he was there but they wouldn’t let him in. Frank stormed back to the theater, tore up his contract in front of them, and never performed there again. That would be a common theme during the course of their friendship and careers. When Sammy wasn’t allowed to play at the Copacabana, Frank wouldn’t play there either.
When Sammy was refused a Las Vegas hotel room, Frank said, “Give him my room!” After Sammy’s car accident where he lost his eye, it was Sinatra who paid all his medical bills. After 5 decades and 40 years of performing together, a reporter once asked Frank why he was always so charitable to Sammy. Frank responded in three words, “He’s my brother.”
361601524-237596615895260-751941434119643585-n.jpg

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
Let's take a look at the world at a 50,000 foot level. We are in the first third of the 21st century, and history will review us as having lived through the birth of the electronic age and the early days of the Internet.

However this is only true for portions of the world, As even at this time there are still third world, and underdeveloped countries that don't have reliable access to clean water much less to the Internet and electronics. This is not yet seen as a global problem. Additionally there is a level of sophistication necessary to discern and understand the difference between truth and misinformation on the Internet and in public media, which is not fully present in all of the countries that do receive such services. While many citizens across the globe do have that level of sophistication, it is fair to say that somewhere around 1/3 of the population is likely to believe falsehoods and follow conspiracy theories.

The world has just experienced three hottest months on record. There's evidence of significant melting of the polar ice caps, glacier fed lakes, and other permafrost areas across the world. This is seen as a global problem by some people, but is not fully accepted by others. Additionally there are still societies on this planet which are not Industrialized enough to understand the implications, ironically meaning they are most likely not contributing to the global warming issues, and are yet often the most impacted by it. The second fact is also ironically impacted by the first fact. Clearly misinformation impacts the world's ability to address climate change.

Religion is still prevalent and influential in most of the populated world although atheism does gain traction every year, as even some people raised religiously transition to viewing it as more of a culture, and a system of common beliefs, then as a strict history or word of God. Often this is considered a humanistic view of religion. However there are still significant number of religious extremists across every major religion, which often interfere with democratic governments, and attempt to influence society based on their belief.

As human life is only an average of 75 years, and most people only experience one or two generations born before them or after them. Additionally if you are lucky enough to be born in a sophisticated country the first 25 are spent growing developing and learning enough to be able to participate In the world, and then another 15 to 20 to experience enough of life for context before you truly experience enough to really understand. This all presumes you aren't living in an area of war, famine, or poverty and you live long enough and are free to pursue education and a normal way of life.

The combined impact of various global belief systems, vastly different scales of education across the world, intentional misinformation, greed, political power struggles, and ideological differences over a relatively short life span present an existential threat.

Will humanity advance far enough to not cause it’s own extinction. One thing I know for sure, Mars is proof that a planet which once had an atmosphere capable of sustaining water on its surface might not forever.

Last edited:

florduh

One thing I know for sure, Mars is proof that a planet which once had an atmosphere capable of sustaining water on its surface might not forever.

Not just Mars. Venus was a paradise at one point too. Liquid water on the surface and everything. Why did that change? Well, probably due to volcanic activity, Co2 levels in the Venusian atmosphere got out of control. Raising the temperatures so high that liquid water can no longer exist.

So the greenhouse effect isn't a theory. Co2 in the atmosphere traps heat from the sun. The proof is Venus, with her 96% Co2 atmosphere. Venus hellishly hot.

Obviously Earth will never never get that bad. But we're running an experiment where we pump 37 billion tons of Co2 into the atmosphere every year. Co2 is a gas. A billion tons of a gas is a shit ton.

Although I guess it's possible that the planet Venus is in on the Chinese Hoax :shrug:. After all Venus is a woman's name (woman=woke). It's also the name of a non-Christian god (non-Christian=woke).

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Similar to the line in Jaws where chief Brody says it's only an island when you look at it from the water, I suspect Harry is only a "problem child" from the kings perspective. I personally see him as a wise young man who made difficult choices for the safety and sanity of his own wife and family. But then nobody would mistake me for a monarchist.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The Confederate flag is a symbol of racism and racial animus. It has been that from the beginning, and it will always be that. This article well represents the reality that so many are afraid to face and/or refuse to appreciate.

Canna Chameleon

Muted by mods. Run off by rudeness.
The Confederate flag is a symbol of racism and racial animus. It has been that from the beginning, and it will always be that. This article well represents the reality that so many are afraid to face and/or refuse to appreciate.
Sounds like something you’d get arrested for teaching in Florida. No AP History or Psychology.

florduh

It's a good thing I'm not an AP US History teacher. Because if a kid asked me why hillbillies still defend the Confederate flag I'd tell them....it's because after the war we didn't execute every slave owner and give their property to the people who worked the land without pay for generations.

They should've cut General Lee's head off put it on a spike in DC Game of Thrones style too.

Fe5CZPfXEAocGSc.jpg

d86oxfo3f8491.jpg

vapviking

Old & In the Way
In the days just after the 2016 Presidential election, some of us were a bit deflated and despondent.
A friend was over for a visit, and he happened to be a republican who had, naturally, voted for their guy.

I told him I was bummed, and he asked, Why? Did I think Trump would not make a good president?
My respone is one that I've repeated countless times over the past 6+ years.

"I believe he's now been given enough rope with which to hang himself."

Now I see, that was an understatement!

coolbreeze

In the days just after the 2016 Presidential election, some of us were a bit deflated and despondent.
A friend was over for a visit, and he happened to be a republican who had, naturally, voted for their guy.

I told him I was bummed, and he asked, Why? Did I think Trump would not make a good president?
My respone is one that I've repeated countless times over the past 6+ years.

"I believe he's now been given enough rope with which to hang himself."

Now I see, that was an understatement!
If I were conservative, I might reflect for a moment on the fact that a New York Democrat just took out the entire party and movement single-handedly by doing nothing more than encouraging their worst instincts. I hope that's in their heads as he brays about how he's sacrificing himself for them.

Last edited:

florduh

I'm glad we figured out that whole "germ theory of disease" like 140 years ago. Because if that shit came out today it would for sure be a bullshit globohomo deep state conspiracy.

Little critters no one has ever seen make you sick? LOL! You're in The Matrix, bro! Wake up! My grandpa was a plumber. Never washed his hands once! Live till he was 90!

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
I'm glad we figured out that whole "germ theory of disease" like 140 years ago. Because if that shit came out today it would for sure be a bullshit globohomo deep state conspiracy.

Little critters no one has ever seen make you sick? LOL! You're in The Matrix, bro! Wake up! My grandpa was a plumber. Never washed his hands once! Live till he was 90!
I mean back in the day, that was basically the same response. Heck, even doctors were upset when folks suggested they wash their hands, scalpels and saws after autopsies because they felt it implied that they were dirty. (https://www.history.com/news/hand-washing-disease-infection)

Also during the Spanish flu pandemic in 1918 we had the same subcurrent of anti mask and vaccine sentiment (I personally like this article for all the pictures): https://www.history.com/news/1918-spanish-flu-mask-wearing-resistance

No matter the era, there’s always going to be a subsection of the population that prefers to be belligerently contrarian. The theories change, but the conspiracy theorists remain.

DrJynx86

We should thank that some people think different, imagine the first time someone suggested hey this guy is going to die unless "we saw his leg"...

I'm sure 99% of that room was "anti saw" the first time anyone suggested that... let alone the guy with the gangrened leg.

Top Bottom