Random thoughts

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Seeing a couple articles in my news feeds having to do with requests for tips in circumstances we normally haven't seen a request for tips. I've seen the request in electronic form (credit card or kiosk), manual form (jar at the register) and even a newly added automatic gratuity that I would have missed if I had not looked at the receipt. I've seen them when getting my coffee, picking up a pizza, in the drive-thru and even a jar at the dispensary counter.

I'm torn because both my kids worked in a service industry where tipping was normal while in high school and going to college. I get the "guilt's" and pay the tip even when I feel taken advantage of like when I pick up a pizza at the counter to take home. And just to be clear....Prior to this I rarely tipped less than 20% under normal tipping circumstances and most of the time I tipped more than 20% because I never did the "No tipping on the tax" thing.

The employee isn't taking it on their own volition to set up these tip situations without the employer's permission and in most cases its pretty obvious the employer is behind it. Is the employer doing this to offset wage and commodity inflation, because others are doing it and the employee may leave if they don't or as an excuse not to pay the employee what they should?

In some cases the employee is starting to feel entitled to that tip and will even mention it to the customer before or after the transaction is complete. I don't even know how to respond when I pick up a pizza at the counter and the counter person mentions the tip.

florduh

The employee isn't taking it on their own volition to set up these tip situations without the employer's permission and in most cases its pretty obvious the employer is behind it. Is the employer doing this to offset wage and commodity inflation, because others are doing it and the employee may leave if they don't or as an excuse not to pay the employee what they should?

I don't think the employees are driving this. If they had that kind of influence on the employers they'd probably just use it to get an increase on their actual wage, rather than rolling the dice with customers on every transaction.

IMO it's a little scam the employers are pulling on employees. "Look I don't have to give you a raise. If you were really doing a great job, the customers would be tipping you more".

Personally, I don't like tipping as a concept, period. It's the employer's responsibility to pay their workers fairly. Charge me whatever you need to so that happens. But no one's asking my opinion on the matter so what can I do. If it's not a bar/restaurant situation where workers only make $2/hour, I'll usually just tack on a buck or two. Times are shitty for everyone. But I'm not tipping 20% on a regular cashier/customer interaction unless the worker is abnormally helpful.

This is something my dad bitches about constantly. He seems to be under the impression these "lazy" employees are hacking the point of sale systems to try and scam him out of money. "And they're making $15 an hour now! When I worked fast food I only made $4 an hour!!!!:mad:"

I then have to explain to him that $4/hour in the early 70's is the equivalent of $30/hour today. Or more than the Store Manager at the Taco Bell is making. Also $15 an hour Full Time will not cover a 1 bedroom apartment, transportation, and food in "low cost" Floriduh these days.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Pardon me if I'm just an old man yelling at the clouds. But I am really annoyed by tip jars at takeout restaurants. I'm sorry, I just think they're wrong and have no business being there. And the idea of paying 20% to the guy at the pizza counter is completely unacceptable to my view of the world.

That being said, I find myself including a tip some of the time on that damn ipad register that breaks out tip percentages, but no more than 15%. I shouldn't be guilted into this, but there it is.

To be clear, I ALWAYS tip in a reasturant where food is brought to my table, and especially when I place my order from the table. That is different and expected, and acceptable to me. I am tipping for the service I have received from that individual and if shared for the wait staff generally.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Not to be facetious but ..... Maybe we should demand 20% off when we pick up that pizza ourselves and when the cashier says "That's not how it works. We don't tip you for coming in to get your pizza." That's when we can say "OK, let just call it even then".

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
1bf6c6a4c1f1335850678dd9630ffd85c6cecdd38c801efdb2c9f262fe110ff6.jpg

florduh

Executives are the highest paid "workers" on earth.

This is silly. The "work" they do is just... going to meetings. Calling that "work" makes a mockery of the word. They're not exactly welding for 10 hours a day.

Boomers love denigrating Starbucks baristas and fast food workers. Calling them "unskilled labor". But at least making food/coffee, standing on your feet for 8+ hours, and dealing with shitty customers is actual labor. Sitting in meetings and sending emails telling other people to work, is not.

But, but... their "jobs" are so stressful. Boo fucking hoo. Most jobs are stressful. They don't deserve 500k+ for that.

But there's so much RESPONSIBILITY! Who cares? If we're caking people up for responsibility bus drivers and babysitters should be getting 8 figure bonuses. They hold the power of life and death in their hands.

If we're gonna combat "inflation" by driving wages down, let's start witht the executive class.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Executive salaries are one of the biggest reasons health care is so ridiculously expensive here in the US. Whether it be in the hospitals or the drug companies or the medical supply companies, executives generally make more money that the doctors and surgeons that do the actual work in the industry except for maybe the "superstar" docs in great demand, and usually even then.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Executives are the highest paid "workers" on earth.

This is silly. The "work" they do is just... going to meetings. Calling that "work" makes a mockery of the word. They're not exactly welding for 10 hours a day.

florduh

CEOs are hugely expensive – why not automate them?

If a single role is as expensive as thousands of workers, it is surely the prime candidate for robot-induced redundancy.
www.newstatesman.com
www.newstatesman.com

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we can easily design an AI that sends emails demanding that we cut labor, ship jobs overseas, engage in stock buybacks, and refuse to spend capital on improving equipment and infrastructure.

It's time to admit the emperor/c-level executive isn't wearing clothes.

Executive salaries are one of the biggest reasons health care is so ridiculously expensive here in the US.

Oh for sure. I remember this debate during the Medicare for All discourse in 2020. "But if THE GOVERNMENT ran insurance, there would be so much inefficiency and waste!".

That totally ignores that we need to price the cost of renovating health insurance company executives yachts into every single procedure and drug patients need. And while we're talking about waste, what else would you call the massive marketing and lobbying budgets these shitbag insurance companies have?

I agree with your main points but this is nonsense. Some people from every generation ars self entitled asshole and or rube ignorant pricks. These characteristics are not defined by generation, race or sex.

You're 100% right. I seem to hear older generations bitching about entitled service industry workers more than younger folks. But then again, there are articles out there about "Gen Z Saving Neoliberalism" so age isn't really the thing that matters.

In general, I don't care for people in their 20's bitching about "The Boomers" very much. If some 20 year old was born in the 1950's, and had all the same life experiences as a Boomer... they'd think and act exactly like them. They seem to think that if they were in the Boomer's shoes things would've been different. That's bullshit.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal

I think we are gonna want to add post.news to the insert media approved sites. Does anyone know how to do this?

cybrguy,
Reactions: Shrike

Ionlyknowvape

AN & 4wks of Hydroponic BudSwell (2 more weaks)

I think we are gonna want to add post.news to the insert media approved sites. Does anyone know how to do this?
To change water into wine takes effort and time: seed, cultivate, process. It’s in the bible.

Ionlyknowvape,

florduh

Tweet, Tweeted, Twitter.
Three ridiculous-sounding words that I wish would just go away.
Give them back to the birds.

Hey! He's trying! The man is the CEO of like 5 companies. That's five 90 hour per week jobs!

And I guess you didn't know...but he's literally saving humanity by starting a colony on Mars!

So...maybe cut the Savior of Humanity some slack. He's killing that app as fast as he can!

Ebw-CNMUwAEinzn.jpg

Top Bottom